Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roy Williams will start for the Cowboys

Looks like our future long-term migraine will be starting for the Cowboys from Game 1.

Cowboys | Williams To Step Right In - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

July 8, 2002 9:58:49 PT DallasCowboys.com reports Dallas Cowboys rookie S Roy Williams will step right into the starting lineup. However, what safety position he will play is anyone’s guess. The Cowboys plan on using Williams and S Darren Woodson at both free safety and strong safety, shifting the two throughout the game and during plays.

Cowboys | Williams Note - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

June 5, 2002 19:40:08 PT Dallas Cowboys.com reports coach Dave Campo told the media that although the pads are yet to go on, rookie S Roy Williams has been impressive. "From what I've seen of his ability to move around, I think he's better than I thought he was," said Campo.

Well that was to be expected, consideriing the cowpokes line was the main area that came on as the season progressed. Woodson was pretty much alone most of the time out there and Williams is better than what they had, so.....it's a no brainer and the whole league knew that one. It was like Champ's first year. No brainer.

Still, we will not fear them and we'll see. Who care's who they switch around anyway, you still have to beat the sh** out of em'.

I'm not surprised by that at all. He was considered by many to be the best defensive player in the draft at any position ... it just so happens that safety isn't a position often taking that high in the draft. Dallas got themselves a good one there.

I might be stupid here but isn't the top 10 way too early to draft a safety anyway? Seriously, their DB's are the opposite of ours, strong Safeties and weak CB's (I know stats say their pass D was strong but that was only because everyone except us was able to run all over them, no need to pass). Williams and Woodson are going to help CB's cover their guys all season.

Curious, what was the last Safety who was drafted that high?

Originally posted by Bufford

I might be stupid here but isn't the top 10 way too early to draft a safety anyway?

Wouldn't you draft Ronnie Lott in the top 10 if you had the chance?

Roy Williams is being projected as the next Ronnie Lott. That's why I refer to him as our future long-term migraine.

I was pulling for him to be drafted by the Skins somehow. I think he's going to have a major impact in the NFL. Don't think about him as a "safety", some guy to run down broken plays. Think of him as LaVar Arrington with more speed, taking on WRs in addition to RBs.

Look for him to show up on ESPN Sportscenter highlights, as he dismembers receiver after receiver.

'bout time they had a starter out of their #1 pick:laugh: How long has it been:shootinth

All kidding aside, The Boyz had an excellent draft this year:doh:

I would swap drafts with them in a NYC minute:deal: as it stands now.

But we shall see how it plays out. I like what I have read about the "Rock" and maybe Ramsey will be the "Answer" at qb:cheers:

"I might be stupid here but isn't the top 10 way too early to draft a safety anyway? "

Bufford, you are correct in general, but exceptions must be made for exceptional players. Williams is likely the type of player you throw those rules out for and draft anyway. At least, from what I've heard he is. We'll see soon enough.

Campo sure seems happy with him so far.

Williams was probably my favorite player in this draft. Either Williams or John Henderson. I think he'll be a great safety for years to come. Darren Woodson has been a great safety for years as well. That doesn't mean a great deal if there are other areas of the team that are weak, which is why Woodson could be so great and the Cowboys could be so bad.

Williams is an excellent piece though. Imagine him with our corners to play behind. People would get slaughtered :).

Roy Williams is going to be a REALLY good NFL player. Dallas got lucky with this one. Safety or no, sometimes people come along who deserve to be drafted that high, regardless of their position. I think Quentin Jammer would have been a better short term pick for them, but I'm guessing at some point they'll get a top flight CB.... however, I don't see too many others out there with Roy Williams ability. All in all, he goes a long way towards making the Cowboys unit solid top to bottom.

I might be stupid here but isn't the top 10 way too early to draft a safety anyway?

They traded down before taking him and picked up a 3rd round pick.

I know stats say their pass D was strong but that was only because everyone except us was able to run all over them, no need to pass.

Not true at all. Look at the stats and see what Dallas gave up on the ground. Look at the average per carry. Dallas lost games last year due to horrible special teams play and an offense that couldn't get the job done on a consistent basis.

No disrespect but I think you could of traded down to the 11th overall pick and still gotten Roy Williams. You could of most likely gotten something like 2 1st rounders from Oakland and then traded back up to get more picks or something. I don't know about special teams being the cause of losses.

Dallas did well with taking Williams. As far as tradiong down with Oakland - I doubt Oakland would have went for it. And if they did, then Dallas is relying on another team dealing to let them back up to get Williams. Too risky.

Dallas did lose last year due to Offense and Special Teams. Just look at their run defense - no one ran all over us. Washington had one of the best rushing attacks with Davis last year and they didn't get the job done - that wasn't a fluke. Dallas' run D was stout.

And Special Teams can lose and win games but I don't know that an entire season can be blamed on that. But certainly there are a couple games last year that Dallas lost because of their kicking game (FG's) and their turnovers on returns, and giving up big returns.:cry: :doh:

I see all of your points. I just think about taking that position that early in the draft and it still confuses me. When I think of safety I think of someone like Rod Woodson who was a corner and now that his skills are weaker, he's shifted to an easier spot.

No disrespect but I think you could of traded down to the 11th overall pick and still gotten Roy Williams. You could of most likely gotten something like 2 1st rounders from Oakland and then traded back up to get more picks or something. I don't know about special teams being the cause of losses.

Of course and pigs will one day fly. Get real!!!. Jerry Jones excuted the trade down and extra 3rd pick (Derek Ross) to perfection. What makes you so certain that Jacksonville, Cincinnati or the Colts would not have drafted the best Defensive player in the draft given the chance, should have Dallas traded down.

p.s. The last Safety drafted higher than Roy Williams was Eric Turner whom was the 2nd overall pick in the 1991 draft to Cleveland.

Turner? is he even still in the league? Of course you'd need other teams who wanted other guys to move up.

I think you get the point that I am saving that its not usual to pick a guy in that position that early.

By the way, Jammer and Peppers are better NCAA defensive players (I say NCAA because we don't know what the NFL will bring). If Jammer was there, you know you would of drafted him.

Turner? is he even still in the league? Of course you'd need other teams who wanted other guys to move up.

I think you get the point that I am saving that its not usual to pick a guy in that position that early.

By the way, Jammer and Peppers are better NCAA defensive players (I say NCAA because we don't know what the NFL will bring). If Jammer was there, you know you would of drafted him.

No sir,

Peter King from CNN/SI was given unprecedented access into Dallascowboy's war room. King indicated that Roy Williams was the Cowboys No. 1 collegiate player across the board, followed by Jammer. The was even a picture of Lacewell (Cowboys Scouting director) in SportsIllustrated in the war room and in the background the Dallascowboys drafting board had Roy Williams as the best player in the draft.

Back on the day of the draft one of my cowpoke shipmates said that Jammer was a smoke screen and that the pokes were enamoured with Williams from the start.

Our OLBs and corners make us strong on the edges in the NFC East and you can say that the pokes Safeties MLB and DTs make them strong in the middle

in the meantime

http://www.insidecowboys.com/1998/2002/cowboys/sixth0419.html

Jammers name in there (1st).

http://www.insidecowboys.com/1998/2002/cowboys/jammer0420.html

and this one is the big dilly

Well Jammer was nothing more than a smokescreen. As I said before Roy Williams was the consesus No1 pick on Dallas's board. Peter King had inside access prior to, during and after the draft.

Here is the article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/04/26/king_insider/

p.s. I am looking for the picture to the article. standby.

well, yippy kay yeih, mofos......... boohoo cheers wahhuuuu

I would like to see him trying to stop a squared up Stephen Davis at full speed.... no jukes, no spins, no straigh arms, just head to head..... whaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Have a Flat "Roy" Jack with wild berry jam on top...

Go Skins................

Archived