Extremeskins

Westbrook officially with Bengals

RiggoDrill

New From The Post

Westbrook Agrees to Deal With Bengals

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 2, 2002; 5:52 PM

Wide receiver Michael Westbrook's departure from the Washington Redskins became official today when the unrestricted free agent agreed to a three-year contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Agent Steve Zucker said the two sides had agreed to contract terms but declined to offer further details. He said the Redskins were not in the running to re-sign Westbrook in the late stages.

Westbrook, who turns 30 on Sunday, spent seven seasons with the Redskins after being selected by the club with the fourth overall choice in the 1995 draft. He had 277 catches for the Redskins, including a team-leading 57 last season, but his tenure with the club was filled with injuries and controversy.

Originally posted by Brave

Well, I guess that's that. Farewell Mike.

(someone should warn Corey Dillon not to question Westbrook's sexual orientation)

:)

:laugh: :laugh:

I dont think Corey will let Westbrook do to him what he did to Stephen. Corey is a former thug! but if the two went at it, my money is on Corey!:laugh:

I am one of the few but I would have liked mike back but.... I wish him well and am glad he didn't goto Philly or even in the NFC so he can have a huge season and I will be happy for him. Gus to Westbrook part 2 is here.

It's over? The Westbrook Era is truly over? It's hard to believe. Is this the official end of Norvism in Washington?

I've gotta admit that I'm curious about the contract terms. As far as I'm concerned, I wish him well (just so long as he's gone). I know the guy has all the physical talent in the world, but it just wasn't happening for us and having him on the roster prevents guys like McCants from developing. If Westbrook had left 3 years ago, we'd still have Thrash.

I'm happy Westbrook is gone but at the same time I feel as if he will be a decent (not great) receiver in Cincy. It's the "get out of town and start over syndrome" that many players have gone thru. Seems that means Darney Scott will leave Cincy now.

The deal is for three years, $4.5M, with $350K signing bonus. This is probably a fair estimate of his worth.

My guess is that Willie Jackson will ask for a similar contract. As I posted earlier, I'd rather have Jackson at this point, but the contract numbers are higher than I was hoping.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1401552.html

Westbrook's arrival may fuel Scott's departure

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Tuesday, July 2

In a move that provides the team a proven deep threat at an affordable price -- and could end the tenure of veteran wide receiver Darnay Scott with the franchise -- the Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday afternoon reached a contract agreement with unrestricted free agent Michael Westbrook.

The deal came in a face-to-face meeting between agent Steve Zucker and Bengals personnel director Duke Tobin. After weeks of discussions, the two decided to meet at Zucker's home in suburban Chicago to see if they could bridge the differences that remained. Tobin was in Chicago visiting relatives.

"Sometimes it's just better when you're face-to-face across the table," Zucker said. "It's more conducive to finishing the deal."

Westbrook will sign a three-year, $4.5 million contract and the deal includes a $350,000 signing bonus.

About three weeks ago, Westbrook, who has played his entire NFL career with the Washington Redskins to this point, auditioned for Cincinnati coaches and scouts and impressed the group by clocking a 40-yard time of 4.35 seconds and catching the ball well.

The visit with Cincinnati coaches and team officials was the only substantive meeting of the spring for Westbrook, who had a team-high 57 receptions in Washington last season.

"It's a good situation, because I go in (to Cincinnati) as a guy who can help the younger receivers on the team, and it's a team on the rise, I feel," Westbrook said. "Plus it's close enough to my hometown (Detroit) that my family can make trips there to see me play."

The ramifications of the contract agreement with Westbrook could be far-reaching, since the team likely now will consider releasing the seven-year veteran Scott, its most experienced wide receiver.

Scott, 29, has a salary cap value of $3.9 million for 2002, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.55 million, can earn a $150,000 workout bonus and is due a $500,000 roster bonus on Sept. 1 if he is still with the Bengals then. Miffed that he has not attend recent workouts, and seemingly confident some of their young wide receivers are poised to emerge in '02, the Bengals have discussed the possible release of Scott internally.

His agent, Rocky Arceneaux, recently said that Scott would consider restructuring his contract but would not take a pay cut. Privately, however, the Scott camp was said to be hopeful that the Bengals would get an agreement with Westbrook, because the longtime veteran would prefer his freedom.

There are also some off-field issues to which Scott must attend.

Scott has 386 receptions for 5,975 yards and 36 touchdowns in his tenure with the Bengals and 11 of his scores have come on catches of 50 yards or more. None of the other wide receivers on the Bengals roster, before the agreement with Westbrook, had a reception, for a touchdown or otherwise, of more than 46 yards.

The Bengals wanted to land a bigger receiver, like Westbrook (6-foot-3, 221 pounds), with deep speed. Westbrook had 277 receptions for 4,260 yards and 29 touchdowns with the Redskins, but his career has been slowed at times by injuries.

The team's first-round pick in 1995, and the fourth player selected overall that year, he had career bests of 65 receptions for 1,191 yards and nine touchdowns in 1999 and led the NFL that year with an average of 18.3 yards per catch. The following season, though, the former University of Colorado star sustained a serious knee injury and played in just three games.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Well, good luck Mike. God knows you had your chances here. You raised our hopes every year, when there wasn't much else to be excited about. We all thought you had what it took, and maybe you do, but you never showed it here. The time has come for us to part ways, and maybe we'll see you again sometime, although it probably won't be any time soon, cause the Bengals aren't going anywhere. Peace.

:high:

That's exactly why they make 'em in 40 oz. :D Hang tough killa. I know where you're coming from. Good luck Mike. Make the best of it. Sigh. You just know this isn't the last we''ll be seeing of Mike in a thread here.

Thanks brave. I guess I officially have to pick a new favorite player. I was avoiding the issue for some time, on the off chance he would resign. Now every time I walk into my room and see his home and away jerseys, his car air freshener, and his glove from his last game as a redskin, I single tear will roll down my face.

BUT TONIGHT.....the OE shall comfort me. That's also why they make plastic tubing and funnels.

Westbrook and the Bungles deserve each other. Westbrook won't take his $19 million he made off the Redskins and politely keep his mouth shut. Classless, but we knew that about his game already.

He'll do the same there that he did with the Redskins. Play brilliantly against traditionally bad teams (EAST - Cardinals), especially the division patsy like the Browns or Ravens, and disappear in the big games against the Steelers. He'll catch 10 passes for 100 yards and two scores one week, then not catch a single pass for the next few weeks against marginally talented defenders. He'll finally get in a rhythm where he'll catch the ball regularly and have to be accounted for, only to hurt himself falling awkwardly and be done for the season. The media will talk about "what could have been and should have been" and about "such a fluke injury, ending what otherwise was an improving season".

Take care Westbroken, don't let the door hit you where the good lord (and your boyfriend) split you.

Let's take the high road and wish him well.

He wouldn't have fit in our scheme anyway (Rod G will be the possession WR we need, regardless of some posters' inexplicable dislike of his rookie achievements) so, as one poster said, goodbye to the Norv era. Whew!

Let us not forget that the most important Redskin - #48 - had to deal with getting suckerpunched by this cancer of a Colorado Buffalo. We've given him more leeway that Cowher has his college teammate Kordell Stewart, and that's saying a mouthful. Being of Indian descent, allow me to remind y'all that karma is a m*therf*cker. Nobody is a bigger posterboy for that than #82.

Anyway, let us put this waste of potential to bed and concentrate on the 2002 wideouts, as well as the coach who will make them all look great. No caveats. I've seen too much Gator ball to be dumb enough to wuss out on believing in SOS.

Onward and Upward!

a_gardner_i.jpg

Farewell to hypertension and yes #48 will tell anyone that that was a suckerpunch. I honestlly believe after seeing the replays of that untimely fiasco, that SD believed MW was only playing around, then to find out he was for real. Hey where he hit him in the eye, you'd be screaming too! So yes, Smootylicious, karma to him (in a big way - the AFC DB's will ring that bell!).

I know I'm the #1 Westbrook supporter around here, but I kinda feel bad for the guy. I mean, he thought 80% of the fans around here hated him. You want to know why he left out 20%? It was me. I helped out that figure. Because anytime I saw him I told him I really loved him and wanted him to stay. There was the first time I met him, when I almost hyper-ventilated. Anyways, I like to think I was the reason that it wasn't 100% of the fans hating him. I hope I made him feel somewhat better. He really was a good guy. I know he tried his best.

Maybe the stench that Norved us has finally been cleared. I can't wait to see the first Bungles game where he and Gus get into it; on not getting enough touches or not being in the right spot. Westbrook could throw his helmet and Gus bang his head into a wall on the same play. Bungles year end highlight

The thing that got to me in the Post article was him being insulted by the fact that the Redskins wanted to pay him :Jaquez Green type money: Then of course he accepts a deal that pays him effectively what the 'Skins offered Green.

Mike wasn't there often enough when it counted. THat can be related to route running, it can be related to important games, it can be related to stupid penalties, it can even be related to injuries which he had no control over. I do think he improved as a player and a speaker in the last year or two, but still, I think he made out better than all right. Given the contract he signed and the team he signed with. I think he got what he deserves.

Archived