A Waking Dream - (7/8/05)

Om

A Waking Dream

Mark "Om" Steven

July 8, 2005

:helmet:

“Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

– Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding

Maybe it was the delicate balance of champagne, fireworks, family, friends and fine food ... or maybe I’m just getting old ... but the truth is that standing in the dark on the Fourth of July, watching hundreds of my fellow citizens gaze unselfconsciously skyward with broad, unaffected smiles—all traces of the insulating masks we wear throughout most of our days momentarily replaced by honest, childlike glee—one word crept into my consciousness ... hope.

Small word, infinitely large concept.

It comes in all shapes and sizes, hope does—all levels of dignity, all levels of import, all levels of relevance. For a few fleeting moments that smoky, phosphorous-filled evening, a healthy sampling of those various levels presented themselves and clamored for recognition in a delicious jumble that I found irresistible ... and so scurried to my keyboard at the first opportunity seeking to record it in some small way. The full feeling, obviously, I cannot hope to adequately convey—each of us feels Life in his/her own unique way ... but if you will grant me your patience, and a moment or two of your time, I shall assay to at least hint at it in a manner you might find, with luck, mildly entertaining.

And perhaps, if fortune truly smiles on the process ... even feeling hopeful.

I hope the day never comes when those who would write or sing of their experiences no longer scurry to their keyboards because something they see, feel or think makes the hairs on the backs of their necks stand up, and they find themselves hardly able to wait to sit down and write or sing about it.

I hope they’re not just blowin’ smoke up our backsides when they say bald is sexy.

I hope the men and women standing in harm’s way in my name tonight, safeguarding my right and ability to do that which I am doing at this very moment, find their way home safe ... and know in their souls how deep and abiding is the respect in which they are held.

I hope my constitution can survive the many long, interminable days and nights before my favorite sports organization finally takes to the arena in earnest again, without going utterly, irrevocably and institutionally mad. And I hope whoever invented “the offseason” locks his keys in his Maseratti. On a gridlocked bridge. In the dead of summer. With the motor running. And four gallons of double-chocolate ice cream and a hungry, irritated-bowel-suffering Malamute gracing his fine Corinthian leather interior. And the winning mega-millions ticket in the glove compartment and a date with a randy supermodel on tap ONLY if he can get to the lotto office twenty miles up the road in the next five minutes. So there.

(You didn’t think this whole piece would be philosophical, non-football stuff did you?)

I hope, even with the knowledge that many of the National Football League’s best teams feature the identical General Manager-less front office arrangement adopted by the Washington Redskins, that the great Joe Jackson Gibbs does not stretch himself too thin in his present multi-hatted incarnation, and thus render himself less effective in any one area as a result of his necessary degree of attention to the whole ... but rather is energized and challenged by it. Why? Because there are few surer things I have found upon which to hang my hat in this lifetime than the ability of the silent, smiling assassin named Gibbs to rise to a challenge, look it squarely in the metaphoric eye, and proceed to leave it a smoldering pile of quivering, smoking goo by the side of the road.

Yeah. He’s that good.

I hope the sweet irony of Shawn Springs becoming a fixture not only as a “number one cornerback,” but as a team leader, is not lost on Redskins Nation or the league at large. Heading into 2005, Shawn Springs is widely considered a sure thing—a corner stone ... but ‘twas not always thus. Just twelve short months ago, the loss of Champ Bailey to Denver and replacement by the former Seattle Seahawk veteran was a source of much consternation among the faithful, and gleeful derision among the critics.

“He’s injury-prone,” they cautioned.

“T.O.’ll sautee him when they play,” they scoffed.

“Dude’s no Champ Bailey,” they chided.

Well, turns out they were right about the last, anyway.

I hope young Patrick Ramsey understands in his bones that he alone mans the position most likely to define the Redskins 2005 season, and thus the immediate hopes and expectations of, quite literally, millions ... and that said understanding serves not to intimidate or unnerve, but to challenge and energize him as well. If one doubts the importance of his performance to this team heading into the season, one has but to close his eyes and imagine, oh, say Peyton Manning, running this offense—handing off to Clinton Portis behind a solidified line, dropping and firing on-time and on-target to a coordinated crew of Santana Moss, David Patten, Chris Cooley, Taylor Jacobs, et al ... and ask himself if it’s not true that the only real question mark standing between this team and a likely return to winning ways is consistent production from the quarterback position. Because all things considered, that’s about the size of it.

Some men thrive on that kind of stage ... others wilt. Patrick Ramsey carries the hopes of a great many people on his shoulders that he is the former.

I hope that the giggling gaggle of high school hotties in the thumping, pale purple Civic at the stop sign the other day were watching me when I jogged stoically across their bow—face impassive, breath and stride rhythmic, honestly sweating my way to an inevitable return to fighting trim and full masculine glory—and not when I had to adjust my shorts about five seconds later because they were riding up like you just wouldn’t believe.

I hope the aforementioned young Patrick Ramsey, when he comes face to face with Destiny on September 11, 2005, looks that unpredictable Lady in the eye, lets a crooked, ****y grin spread across his boyish face, and pops her a good one right in the jaw. Not just for his sake, but for ours. The Washington Redskins need, and deserve, a home-grown superstar quarterback of their very own. The turnstiles at that position have been spinning in this burg since the day before forever—it’s simply time already. And it’s hard to conceive of a more worthy, endearing candidate to fill that role than the quiet, humble, polite kid from Ruston ... who just happens to have a Howitzer hanging from his right sleeve.

I hope that come this time next year, Redskins Nation is not still struggling to find ways to sound brave in the face of nagging, lingering doubts about finally killing the preposterous losing streak against those people from Texas, and instead, is struggling to remain humble in the face of having exorcized a particularly tenacious demon.

I hope, in the wake of watching the Pink Floyd reunion last weekend, that there is another popular musical age as great as the 60's and 70's on tap in my lifetime—and that when it comes, I won’t be too old and crotchety to recognize it.

I hope it doesn’t turn out that Antonio Pierce really was that good between the ears, and we discover come September, to our chagrin and dismay, that the guys running Gregg Williams’ nefarious schemes are suddenly zigging whey they should be zagging, shucking when they should jiving, or worse, thinking when they should be seeking and destroying. That would be bad.

I hope that no one is too surprised when the 2005 Redskins don’t just get good years from most of the players they expect to have them, but also get breakout performances from several players few outside the room expect much from. I give you the likes of Derrick Dockery, Taylor Jacobs, Robert Royal, Phillip Daniels, Chris Clemmons, Demetric Evans, Lemar Marshall, Clifton Smith ... names off a list which next season we will point to, with sweet irony, when discussing players once mocked or overlooked, suddenly become fixtures.

There is no shortage of NFL-caliber talent up and down this roster—what has been missing is the right blend of ingredients, and the right chef to turn a Salisbury Steak TV-dinner into a Morton’s of Chicago Prime Rib feast. Says here it’s not hope that suggests that’s happening right before our eyes, it’s simply opening those eyes and studying the new menu placed before us.

(I hope.)

I hope my inner child never hardens to the point I can watch young Todd Anderson finally vanquish his personal demons at the end of Dead Poet’s Society, stand tall atop his desk in support of Mr. Keating and defiance of tyranny, and call out, “Captain, my Captain!” ... without welling up. Or feeling like I can’t admit it.

I hope that, over the course of the next thirty years, the professional sports franchise to which I have given my heart will continue to provide the roller-coaster thrills—from the deepest despairs to the most adrenaline-pounding joys (you can’t have yin without yang, friends, you just can’t)—that they have over the past thirty ... and that I will get to share the next thirty with not only all of you, but continue sharing them with my own children. It is my deepest hope that each of you are granted the gift and privilege of passing along your love of the game to your own flesh and blood.

There is, quite literally, nothing like it.

I hope that, should the universe see fit to grant him time, Mankind will successfully negotiate the trials of his extended adolescence, and grow in due course from the precocious, moody and volatile teen he is today, into an adult capable of recognizing his faults, swallowing his insecurities, taming his ego, and accepting that with freedom must come responsibility, with knowledge must come humility, and, should fortune truly favor, that with time might some day come wisdom.

And I hope nobody just lost their lunch.

Hail to you, fellow carbon-based travelers ... and Hail to the Redskins.

“I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain ...

I hope.”

– Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding

:helmet:

Good read ... I would also say I hope that Antonio Pierce doesn't understand our defense as well as the papers indicate because I would hate to see the Giants rip us apart this year with his intimate knowledge of the defense.

Originally posted by Om
[

I

I hope that come this time next year, Redskins Nation is not still struggling to find ways to sound brave in the face of nagging, lingering doubts about finally killing the preposterous losing streak against those people from Texas, and instead, is struggling to remain humble in the face of having exorcized a particularly tenacious demon.

:

If you get swept again you will once again struggle to find creative ways to sound brave. You guys are good @ that :)

If losing 14-15 to your arch rivals hasn't humbled redskins fans NOTHING WILL! You guys don't do humble when it comes to the Cowboys

Nice piece though!

Originally posted by TheDane

Excuse me, THEHEREAFTER, I'm going to need to see some ID, and your entry ticket.

Wonderful piece, Om. Your uncanny ability to capture in writing the thoughts of most of us is, again, proven to be uncanny.

:laugh: I should let you guys bond!

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

I told the man nice piece. I think you should change the site to Extreme Sensitivity :rolleyes:

I totally recognize that you have become a friendly presence here, Bro. I simply forgot to add the smiley. But if you think you should let us "bond", then LET us.

Archived