Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Key NFC East factors- NFL network

dont know who else caught it tonight but i watched it. They explained the key factors for each team and when they mentioned the redskins, the whole thing was about portis. They mentioned how he gained the weight to fit the power running plays in the playbook and pretty much were going to go as far as 26 will take us. Although i think this year we will be more balanced i do agree that portis is the most important redskin. They key factors for the other teams were as follows

Philly: Reciever production. 14 touchdowns between Pinkston, Lewis, and R brown and they are all by pinkston.

Dallas: The aging of the offensive line to an already immobile QB who was sacked 143 times in 3 seasons in buffalo. Went on to say the two rookies taken in the second round should make dallas a formiddable 3-4 team

Giants: Eli Manning. Can he emerge like his brother in his second year.

Originally posted by LivestrongSkins

dont know who else caught it tonight but i watched it. They explained the key factors for each team and when they mentioned the redskins, the whole thing was about portis. They mentioned how he gained the weight to fit the power running plays in the playbook and pretty much were going to go as far as 26 will take us. Although i think this year we will be more balanced i do agree that portis is the most important redskin. They key factors for the other teams were as follows

Philly: Reciever production. 14 touchdowns between Pinkston, Lewis, and R brown and they are all by pinkston.

Dallas: The aging of the offensive line to an already immobile QB who was sacked 143 times in 3 seasons in buffalo. Went on to say the two rookies taken in the second round should make dallas a formiddable 3-4 team

Giants: Eli Manning. Can he emerge like his brother in his second year.

Caught it..... it was just a tease... surface stuff. I did notice Rod Woodson and Darren Horton alluding to a revolution within the division. I do believe that Philly's window will not last forever, especially as the division continues to approve. Dahani Jones mentioned that Dallas COULD be their toughest challenge.

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

Caught it..... it was just a tease... surface stuff. I did notice Rod Woodson and Darren Horton alluding to a revolution within the division. I do believe that Philly's window will not last forever, especially as the division continues to approve. Dahani Jones mentioned that Dallas COULD be their toughest challenge.

Yeah i believe the consensus is teams are starting to close the gap on the eagles. While they are obviously the favorites, things should be alot more interesting this year.. Gibbs in his second year with the personnel he wants, Parcells never having 2 losing seasons in a row, and the giants with manning and the additions they made.

Although Philly has one of the best run FO's in the league, I do see changes in the near future. The skins seem to play Philly well and Dallas played them well in Philly. I'm not sleepin' on the G-men as well. The T.O. development will be very interesting.

If the Skins are only as good as Portis can take us then we would have been a playoff team last year. I mean come on guys 1300+ yards from your RB is no joke. Just because he didn't eclipse his former years doesn't mean he had an awful season. To me the intangibles are what we didn't do well last season. We already know going in, we should have a top 10 Defense, a capable RB, and improved special teams. To me the biggest factor going into 2005 is how well the O-lineman/Ramsey/WRs etc have gelled in training camp and how long into the season it takes for them to be a cohesive unit. Injuries that you can't predict also effect the team as well of course.

I think, it wont be about Portis as much. Because, everyone knows he our main guy. But if we can't throw like we couldn't last year, they'll just stack the line and he have another season below his standards. So I think it will depend on the WR's and H-Backs to keep D's honest so Portis will have the lanes to run in.

Originally posted by bubba9497

two things win ball games... a good defense, and a great OL

Sounds like an empty truism spouted off during an NFL pregame show. Good QB play, excellent special teams, dumb luck, etc. win football games, too.

there's obviously intangibles, its all up in the air. No talent on paper and 6th round draft choices win super bowls, while huge talent on paper wins little. This better be a year we finally pull a winning record.

Bubba said it best. I will just add, as I have said at other times this off-season, the skins will get to the playoffs and advance based on Ramsey. If the teams stays relatively healthy we will win games. The Oline will play well. Portis will get his yards. I think the WR's are an improvement over last year. The defense is the defense. The question remains at the QB position. Ramsey will lead us to victory.

Its most important that Ramsey improve, because the passing attack depends on it. Portis doesnt need to be better, but his position is the most important in the Gibbs offense since it really is a running offense. I think all they were referring to is that its an offense that relies heavily on the running back, and so the season is essentially on portis' back. I feel that is an over simplified and fairly useless observation however

When we stop with the idiotic false starts, fumbled snaps, shotty special teams coverage, and get some better offensive playcalling this team will go far.

I think we addressed those things but its time for the players on this team to show it. Gotta stop beating yourself to beat other teams.

I love how everyone has forgotten how good Ramsey can be:D

Bubba, it seems to me alot of fans around here are beginnig to question Ramsey yet last year they were begging for him to replace Brunell?

I don't think Ramsey even has to really improve much. He played well at the end of last year and just being the starter from day one this year will be a big factor. As well as the improvements in the type of personnel on the OL and receiver. The biggest offensive headaches will be gone (Coles, Gardner) and that alone will be huge. Then add Jansen and Rabach to the OL. And a years experience under Gibbs.

This team could be a lot better than anyone thinks. In a close talent league this team could win as many games as anyone once Gibbs knows exactly what to do in 75% of his playcalls like he did 15 years ago.

Originally posted by SkinsFTW

This team could be a lot better than anyone thinks. In a close talent league this team could win as many games as anyone once Gibbs knows exactly what to do in 75% of his playcalls like he did 15 years ago.

As bad as they played last year they could have gone 10-6...with a few plays going their way.

I am not worried about Ramsey. We need some beasts on the o-line to play well....

two things win ball games... a good defense, and a great OL

we may finally have both since Gibbs' first left

Total agreement here bubba. The skins right now barring injuries have a great OL and Defense. All we need is Ramsey to just step it up a notch and eliminate some of the mistakes and we are going to be a huge problem for the eagles or any other teamin the NFC.

I love how everyone has forgotten how good Ramsey can be:D

When Ramsey has time, There are only 4 or 5 QB's better imo. Give him 3 or 4 seconds and he'll light you up.. Problem is it shouldn't take that long =(

I am truely not worried about anything but INJURIES, and really even there we are very very very deep compared to other teams, but a few key players could hurt bad. But do these media people really believe that Hall of Fame Coach Joe Gibbs could really ever fail at anything in his life, we will have a winning season this year anywhere from 9-7 to 11-5

Go Skins.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

When Ramsey has time, There are only 4 or 5 QB's better imo. Give him 3 or 4 seconds and he'll light you up.. Problem is it shouldn't take that long =(

It's the statements like this that confuse me. How can anyone really say anything like this about our QB? He's flashed some great potential, sure. And I'm excited that he's our QB, but the reality is that he has just as good a chance to be mediocre as he does to be great.

Earlier in this thread someone wrote that people are down on Ramsey this year when last year they wanted him to replace Brunell. I don't really think anyone is down on him, just waiting to see what he brings to the table. It was OBVIOUS he needed to replace MB, but I'm not going to start saying that he's automatically a top 5 QB just because he's the Skins' QB.

In fact, most of the level-headed posters have it right, he doesn't have to be great for us to be successful. Look at our QBs under Joe in the past...there were really only a couple "great" seasons.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

It's the statements like this that confuse me. How can anyone really say anything like this about our QB? He's flashed some great potential, sure. And I'm excited that he's our QB, but the reality is that he has just as good a chance to be mediocre as he does to be great.

Earlier in this thread someone wrote that people are down on Ramsey this year when last year they wanted him to replace Brunell. I don't really think anyone is down on him, just waiting to see what he brings to the table. It was OBVIOUS he needed to replace MB, but I'm not going to start saying that he's automatically a top 5 QB just because he's the Skins' QB.

In fact, most of the level-headed posters have it right, he doesn't have to be great for us to be successful. Look at our QBs under Joe in the past...there were really only a couple "great" seasons.

I agree with this statement 100%

GO SKINS!!!!:helmet:

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

:cheers:

Archived