Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jeremy Roenick's comments...

Spaceman Spiff

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3721780

In a profanity-laced rant at a news conference for Mario Lemieux's charity golf tournament Saturday, Flyers center Jeremy Roenick ripped into fans who have been critical of the NHL Players' Association throughout the current NHL lockout.

"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being ****y, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks,'' Roenick said. "Pro athletes are not ****y. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game, they can kiss my a--.

"I will say personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous. We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey.''

Roenick also reiterated previous comments from last week where he lamented the union's failure to reach a deal in mid-February, which would have salvaged some of the 2004-05 season and would likely have resulted in a better deal for the players in the new collective bargaining agreement. A new CBA is expected to be signed within the next two weeks, but the salary-cap numbers being talked about were higher in February.

"If we would have signed that deal in February, in terms of what we're getting now, we would have looked like heroes,'' Roenick said. "Right now we look like a bunch of idiots. The deal in February beats the (expletive) out of the deal we're gonna sign in July.''

Roenick did admit players were not active enough in the negotiating process when there was a chance to salvage the season.

"It's unfortunate we had to go through a whole year to realize the s--- that was going on,'' Roenick said. "We've hurt our league, we've hurt the reputation of our league and the integrity of our league by sticking up for something that might not have been the right thing to do.''

Last week, Roenick said he was debating if he would even return to the NHL when it comes back.

"I have to see how my body reacts to some really, really, really hard training regimen here coming up in the latter part of the summer," Roenick told Sporting News Radio. "It's very hard to get motivated without a deal. Once that announcement comes, I think the motivational factor will definitely be lifted.

"I have not 100 percent made my decision to play, but to tell you the truth, I have a lot of drive in me and really, really want to continue."

------

What a douche this guy is, and I don't even like hockey. I can't believe he said that about the fans. He's going to be extremely lucky if ANYONE shows up to games after they get their mess solved. No one in this country cared about hockey when people were even playing it.

Roenick is wrong, they looked like a bunch of idiots the day they started missing games, not a year after the fact.

Those two posts above are pretty much why I didn't throw this story up there.

I was pissed when I read this. My brother is a huge Flyer's fan, and he's not really enjoying this either.

It amazes me how stupid pro athletes can be sometimes. NOBODY watches hockey, yet this clown is ripping the fanbase. Which is a great move, especially when they end up signing a deal that is directly tied to revenue. Alienating the fanbase is a great way to get them back in the seats......

"I have to see how my body reacts to some really, really, really hard training regimen here coming up in the latter part of the summer," Roenick told Sporting News Radio. "It's very hard to get motivated without a deal. Once that announcement comes, I think the motivational factor will definitely be lifted

Sorry, Mr. Roenick, but I have a feeling that old-school hockey players would say that you're spoiled.

I care about Hockey, but this pisses me off. What a jackass! Talking sh1t to a rapidly depleting fanbase. If they cared about the game, why did they take weeks-to-months long breaks in between negotiating sessions when it was painfully obvious there would be a long work stoppage? And why didn't the players step up and accept the best deal they could, like the NBA players, so they could continue playing the game they care so much about? I guess they forgot that the owners and the league own them, not the other way around. And I guess they were excited at the possiblity of playing in even emptier stadiums, which means their salaries will go down even more.

Originally posted by Heidenreich

Those two posts above are pretty much why I didn't throw this story up there.

I was pissed when I read this. My brother is a huge Flyer's fan, and he's not really enjoying this either.

It amazes me how stupid pro athletes can be sometimes. NOBODY watches hockey, yet this clown is ripping the fanbase. Which is a great move, especially when they end up signing a deal that is directly tied to revenue. Alienating the fanbase is a great way to get them back in the seats......

people do watch hockey, just not in this part of the US. go up north, or west, and you'll find a greater fanbase.

You can say what you want but Hockey is the best game out of the major 4 to watch in a pub. If it is football, I need total concentration and generally be by myself. Hockey is great to look up and sorta follow while it's going on....no matter who is playing.

Outside of his diss of the fans (although I think he was referring to Joe Bloe who thinks that pro's shouldn't get paid anymore than say, teachers) - I thought Roenick was right on.

The NHL players should have taken the earlier deal - since the new deal is for a substantial less amount (and since they lost the ESPN tv deal).

The sad thing about these comments was it was taking completely out of context and the entire press conference was good, but of couse the media only cares about the soundbites. Jeremy did talk about how the players completely screwed up and how owners should make money etc...

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

i thought his comments were mildly funny. i don't think these NHL guys really care. Isn't hockey bigger in eastern europe and canada? they probably can play there (didn't some of them anyway?).

Yes, they can go play in other parts of the world but then they wouldnt be getting paid nearly what the Good Ol USA will pay them.

If I want to watch hockey I will just throw in "Miracle" in the DVD player. Now thats real hockey!

Too many pucks to the head. He is probably still feeling the effects of that wicked puck to the jaw in last years playoffs that rearranged his mouth.

I am/was a hockey fan, and I will not watch or go to a game next year even if they come back. I have no interest at all.

I was more forgiving to baseball, but hockey just isn't big enough to care.

I like hockey a lot, but this comments were idiotic. Your have a fan base that is shrinking all the time, and teams losing tons of money, and he has the nerve to tell people to "f off" more or less. I dont know if he was paying attention to the attendence numbers and popularity of the sport b4 the lockout.

Had he not said what he said most of us wouldn't be talking about this crap. This is no different then the fact they allow fighting during the game, hockey as a sport needs crap like this to get attention so I'm not shocked by the players behavior.

Originally posted by jbooma

The sad thing about these comments was it was taking completely out of context and the entire press conference was good, but of couse the media only cares about the soundbites. Jeremy did talk about how the players completely screwed up and how owners should make money etc...

I can understand some of what he said could be taken out of context, but how do you take "f--- the fans" out of context?

Originally posted by Destino

Had he not said what he said most of us wouldn't be talking about this crap. This is no different then the fact they allow fighting during the game, hockey as a sport needs crap like this to get attention so I'm not shocked by the players behavior.

Actually, there's a whole lot less fighting than there used to be. I'd like to see it go back to when the instigator wasn't punished so much. There's nothing wrong with a good hockey fight and if it offends some people, they can always go watch women's golf or equestrian.

Archived