Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Ever Have Shoulder Surgery?

RyansRangers

I am going in next week to have surgery done to my shoulder which I have injured many times over the years. I was just curious if anyone else has had the same thing done and could tell me recovery/pain afterward.

I am having a couple of things done. Repair/cut and replace my AC Joint/Tendon, removing arthritic spurs, shaving off a portion of my collar bone, and rotator cuff repair.

Thanks for any insight

I had the same procedure Ryan. Believe it's called a "mini-Mumford." They removed part of my collarbone, shaved off a bunch of bone spurs, etc. It is going to be painful afterwards dude. Make sure your doc gives you some really good pain meds. Start physical therapy as soon as you can. The sooner you can start it, the less scar tissue you'll have to break through. Recovery time....well you'll be out of a sling in 2-3 weeks, but you won't get full range of motion for probably a month. And you're going to have to take it easy for 2-3 months. I had 2 surgeries on the same shoulder in about 18 months. It took about a year after the last one before I felt close to 100%. Good luck! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Originally posted by RyansRangers

I am going in next week to have surgery done to my shoulder which I have injured many times over the years. I was just curious if anyone else has had the same thing done and could tell me recovery/pain afterward.

I am having a couple of things done. Repair/cut and replace my AC Joint/Tendon, removing arthritic spurs, shaving off a portion of my collar bone, and rotator cuff repair.

Thanks for any insight

You won't be lifting anything with that arm for quite some time.

One more thing...

I'm pretty sure that my shoulder issues are directly related to tons of push-ups and other assorted abuse from the military. From your name I'm assuming you served. Get with the VA regarding this! You'll probably get a disability rating and help with medical costs.

I had the torn rotator cuff Army surgery.. (not quite as much as your doing though)

Had to do the hydrolic assist pullup machine where you can enter the amount of weight to pullup in the gym for about a year of spotted effort..

But now i can predict the weather ;).

Knocked my shoulder out of hte socket and tore a ligament in Afghanistan. You should be out of the sling in 2-3 weeks, but recovery takes a bit. Not much pain (from the surgery) but start moving it around ASAP because you lose range of motion FAST. You're gonna love stuff the PT guys call "joint mobs". ALso, it took a long time to get full strenght back as well

Good luck dude

Originally posted by Raub

One more thing...

I'm pretty sure that my shoulder issues are directly related to tons of push-ups and other assorted abuse from the military. From your name I'm assuming you served. Get with the VA regarding this! You'll probably get a disability rating and help with medical costs.

Raub thanks for the advice I appreciate all your info.. Yea i was in the service I initially hurt it at Ranger school and never took care of it. I will get with the VA.. thanks for the Advice man

Originally posted by Sarge

Knocked my shoulder out of hte socket and tore a ligament in Afghanistan. You should be out of the sling in 2-3 weeks, but recovery takes a bit. Not much pain (from the surgery) but start moving it around ASAP because you lose range of motion FAST. You're gonna love stuff the PT guys call "joint mobs". ALso, it took a long time to get full strenght back as well

Good luck dude

Thanks Sarge

I've had surgery four times on my right shoulder. My problem stems from constant dislocation. Back in 79 I blew it out, and had surgery about 2 months later. The doc butchered me. I can say that because he had many law suites brought against him for this, and lost his rights to practice in NY.

None the less, he left me with a shoulder that would dislocate 2 or 3 times a day. I had the second surgery a year to date. At that point, the ball at the end of my humorous was ground flat on one side, so they had to move tendons and all sorts of stuff to keep it in place. He told me that he may have to put in a pin, but was able to avoid it.

The shoulder was great for ten years till I had an oops at work, and tore it out of the socket. The doc did a scope on it for the third surgery, but the damage was to extensive. I had to rehab it for 8 weeks, and then had the 4th surgery. When he scoped it, he was able to clean out some arthritic build up, trim the collar bone, and cut away some scar build up that caused a click when I lifted my arm.

The fourth surgery, the reattached torn muscles, rebuilt tendons, and a bunch of other stuff. I was on the table for about 5 hours for that one. I have a scar that starts at my collar bone, and goes down the front, and ends at the back of my arm pit.

The rehab for the scope was pretty easy. About two and a half weeks in a sling, and then PT three times a week. I don't like taking pain killers, they make you feel too good, and you can easily over do it, reinjuring yourself. Take as few as you can for pain.

The three major serguries all had me in a sling for six weeks at a time. The second sergury, my doc didn't have me do any traditional PT. Just some stretching in a hot shower, and then normal activity as I could handel it. It worked well, being it was great for 10 years.

The fourth sergury had the most extensive PT. They had me doing a full regiment of stretching, strainth training, and some very odd isometrics stuff. Four times a week for 8 weeks. The isometrics were specifically to teach my brain to "guard" my shoulder during moves that it could dislocate. Muscles contract to hold it in place without me thinking about it. I had a killer PT. He had worked as a trainer for the Bills for about 5 years. Said he got sick of spoiled football players:laugh:

I was luckey after the fourth. The doc said they had to move and work around the major nerve bundle, and wasn't sure if I would have full use if any of my riight hand after the sergury. Not looking to scare ya, just tellin ya my case.

Sounds like most of the stuff their gonna do to you will be with a scope. The pain isn't too bad. A few small cuts for them to go through, so not many stitches at all. Not having to cut through major muscles is the biggie. Listen to what the doc says to do. Don't push too hard, but don't baby it either. Overload on Zink and Vitamin C. It helps the healing process of tendons, and your body will wizz out what you don't need. Stay off cafine. It tends to cause you to tense up with out realizing it, and that can cause you to get some painful muscle cramps. If your a smoker, stop! the shoulder is a low blood flow area. The more oxygen in your blood, the quicker you will heal. I found sleeping in a reclining chair was best being I didn't have the tendency to try to roll. I mainly ate pain meds at night to sleep, but mainly Tylonol if I needed to take the edge off during the day.

From the first two serguries and all the dislocations, I suffered a lot of nerve damage, so I don't feel as much pain in my shoulder as I should. I have very little feeling under my arm, and down about half way on my bycept. You shouldn't have any of this with what your getting.

I also tore my AC in my left shoulder. 8 weeks in the worlds most painful sling on the planet. It supported my arm, and had an extra strap to hold my collar bone down in place. I had to go twice a week to have it tightened a bit more which hurt like hell.

Considering everything that has been done to my shoulder, including dislocating over 400 times, I have full range of motion, and a fairly stable joint. The only thing I can't do is throw a ball with any type of real force, or swim for an extended period of time. I do have pretty bad tendonitis in my right arm due to all that has happened over the years, but I learned to deal with that.

Hope this gives you a little insight to what you may be dealing with. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Pete

I've had surgery four times on my right shoulder. My problem stems from constant dislocation. Back in 79 I blew it out, and had surgery about 2 months later. The doc butchered me. I can say that because he had many law suites brought against him for this, and lost his rights to practice in NY.

None the less, he left me with a shoulder that would dislocate 2 or 3 times a day. I had the second surgery a year to date. At that point, the ball at the end of my humorous was ground flat on one side, so they had to move tendons and all sorts of stuff to keep it in place. He told me that he may have to put in a pin, but was able to avoid it.

The shoulder was great for ten years till I had an oops at work, and tore it out of the socket. The doc did a scope on it for the third surgery, but the damage was to extensive. I had to rehab it for 8 weeks, and then had the 4th surgery. When he scoped it, he was able to clean out some arthritic build up, trim the collar bone, and cut away some scar build up that caused a click when I lifted my arm.

The fourth surgery, the reattached torn muscles, rebuilt tendons, and a bunch of other stuff. I was on the table for about 5 hours for that one. I have a scar that starts at my collar bone, and goes down the front, and ends at the back of my arm pit.

The rehab for the scope was pretty easy. About two and a half weeks in a sling, and then PT three times a week. I don't like taking pain killers, they make you feel too good, and you can easily over do it, reinjuring yourself. Take as few as you can for pain.

The three major serguries all had me in a sling for six weeks at a time. The second sergury, my doc didn't have me do any traditional PT. Just some stretching in a hot shower, and then normal activity as I could handel it. It worked well, being it was great for 10 years.

The fourth sergury had the most extensive PT. They had me doing a full regiment of stretching, strainth training, and some very odd isometrics stuff. Four times a week for 8 weeks. The isometrics were specifically to teach my brain to "guard" my shoulder during moves that it could dislocate. Muscles contract to hold it in place without me thinking about it. I had a killer PT. He had worked as a trainer for the Bills for about 5 years. Said he got sick of spoiled football players:laugh:

I was luckey after the fourth. The doc said they had to move and work around the major nerve bundle, and wasn't sure if I would have full use if any of my riight hand after the sergury. Not looking to scare ya, just tellin ya my case.

Sounds like most of the stuff their gonna do to you will be with a scope. The pain isn't too bad. A few small cuts for them to go through, so not many stitches at all. Not having to cut through major muscles is the biggie. Listen to what the doc says to do. Don't push too hard, but don't baby it either. Overload on Zink and Vitamin C. It helps the healing process of tendons, and your body will wizz out what you don't need. Stay off cafine. It tends to cause you to tense up with out realizing it, and that can cause you to get some painful muscle cramps. If your a smoker, stop! the shoulder is a low blood flow area. The more oxygen in your blood, the quicker you will heal. I found sleeping in a reclining chair was best being I didn't have the tendency to try to roll. I mainly ate pain meds at night to sleep, but mainly Tylonol if I needed to take the edge off during the day.

From the first two serguries and all the dislocations, I suffered a lot of nerve damage, so I don't feel as much pain in my shoulder as I should. I have very little feeling under my arm, and down about half way on my bycept. You shouldn't have any of this with what your getting.

I also tore my AC in my left shoulder. * weeks in the worlds most painful sling on the planet. It supported my arm, and had an extra strap to hold my collar bone down in place. I had to go twice a week to have it tightened a bit more which hurt like hell.

Considering everything that has been done to my shoulder, including dislocating over 400 times, I have full range of motion, and a fairly stable joint. The only thing I can't do is throw a ball with any type of real force, or swim for an extended period of time. I do have pretty bad tendonitis in my right arm due to all that has happened over the years, but I learned to deal with that.

Hope this gives you a little insight to what you may be dealing with. Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

:cheers:

Thanks Pete that helps a lot.. Sounds like you went through a real rough spot. I hope your doing better now.

Luckily this happened in my left shoulder and I am right handed. The doc said I will be in a sling for 2-3 weeks. He said that he will try to do it all with a scope but if he finds more in there he will open it up..

What kind of anethesia do they use for scoping is it a local or a put you to sleep for awhile??? I would rather be put to sleep

As Raub said, they knock you out. Look at the light and count backwards from one hundred.

I think I made it to 97 once:laugh:

What Raub had is similar to my first surgery. It was called a puttiplat (SP) back then. If they only do the scope, there shouldn't be any real scar to brake. It strikes me as odd that they will open you up right then is they cant fix it with the scope. That's what I had wanted, but the said they didn't do that, and I had to rehab before another major surgery. They only broke scar after the first surger, and it was nasty. I threathened the PT's life, his wifes, kids , and dogs at least twice while tears ran down my face from the pain. My arm hadn't moved in 6 weeks, and then you apply a little heat, and pull it up over my head:doh: Shooting a 50 pound cactus out my arse would have been more fun.

Times do change though. Having my last cut and splice as I like to call it back in 90, who knows what is within the relm now.

Like I said, my shoulder is great. Ive done physical work for many years since the last surgery, and have only had to see a doctor once for a minor problem. Hell, I can reach into my left back pocket, or scratch my left shoulder with my right hand.

Good that it's your left. Doing the little things with your left can be a real b!tch if your right handed. I can still tie my shoes with only my left hand. Going to the head, and using a different hand can be a challange if you get my meaning;)

Unless they have to do major work, the surgery doesn't even have "cuts" per say anymore. Small holes and a one inch cut aat most. And the VA advice is solid. It'll get you a little disability when you get out

I had what I believe was referred to as a "Burkhart Procedure". It was about 10 years ago and I'm not sure exactly what the surgeon did other than inserting 3 permanent screws to keep my shoulder from dislocating.

Whatever was done, it works fine now. I only suffer from a reduced range of motion.

Originally posted by Sarge

Unless they have to do major work, the surgery doesn't even have "cuts" per say anymore. Small holes and a one inch cut aat most. And the VA advice is solid. It'll get you a little disability when you get out

Yea I contacted the VA already, as usual I have paperwork coming...

I tore out my shoulder in '95. Basically to the point that the ball of the shoulder was in my chest cavity.

Had three scopes. Rotator repair, labrum repair, and spurs removed. The last procedure I had was a Capsulurophy (sp?)

This procedure basically shocks the shoulder capule and shrinks the tissue to make the joint more stable.

I still have problems throwing a ball for long periods of time. It gets sore in the winter, but overall it seemed to have worked.

Good luck with it. Shoulder injuries suck

Archived