Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cunningham to retire?

rtandler

Randall Cunningham is set to retire from the NFL for a second, and probably final, time:

ESPN: Cunningham to retire

Is he a Hall of Fame calibre QB? He credentials include nearly 30,000 yards passing, over 207 TD's passing. Those are impressive numbers, but not quite of HOF quality. What might get Cunningham in is his running. He's rushed for nearly 5,000 yards and 35 TD's.

During the late 80's, he scared me more than any other opposing player. It seemed that the Eagles were never out of a game with Cunningham at the helm. He also beat the Skins as a member of the Vikings and Cowboys.

Guest Trevor

I think Randall deserves to be in the hall. I know that there was mobile qb's in the past, but Cunningham really made that a part of today's game. He made some spectacular plays.

When Art Monk is in the Hall, we can talk about a lower level player like Cunningham making it. The mobility by itself is going to be difficult to ignore for Hall voters, but, first thing's first. Go Monk.

Cunningham is another player with stats because he stayed around forever. But in his prime years he just didn't win many big games, in fact he was considered a choker in the playoffs.

and we are not talking about a player that got his team to the Super Bowl and lost, we are talking about a player who was on some good teams but just failed to come up with even decent performances to help them advance beyond the wildcard round.

I don't see Cunningham as a Hall of Famer. You play for 18 years you are going to have some numbers.

Norm Snead put up some numbers in his career as did Jim Hart and I don't think either player is in the HOF.

Say 'no' to Randall.

Originally posted by bulldog

Cunningham is another player with stats because he stayed around forever. But in his prime years he just didn't win many big games, in fact he was considered a choker in the playoffs.

and we are not talking about a player that got his team to the Super Bowl and lost, we are talking about a player who was on some good teams but just failed to come up with even decent performances to help them advance beyond the wildcard round.

Actually, he played quite well in the Vikes NFC Championship game against the Falcons, but Randy Moss completely choked. Anybody remember that long TD pass Moss dropped in the endzone? The Vikes also set the single season scoring record that year, unfortunately edging out us. Cunningham has been around forever, but I don't think he has started a full season since offensive mastermind Ray Rhodes benched him in favor of his QB of the future, Ty Detmer. :doh: So I don't think one can attribute his stats to longevity. I don't know if he's quite HOF caliber, but he was the most exciting QB I've ever watched, and in '98 he was definitely the best QB in the NFL, including Elway.

I agree that you don't get put into the Hall on the basis of numbers alone. But, clearly, Cunningham was a better, more feared QB than Norm Snead on Snead's best day and Cunningham's worst. It's a specious comparison.

And you don't have to be a clutch playoff performer to get into the Hall. Ask Dan Fouts or, for that matter, Sonny Jurgensen (not that I think that Cunningham is as good as either of those two).

Cunningham's HOF credentials are not so much his career numbers but the fact that he was one of the most feared offensive weapons in the game during the last half of the '80's and early '90's and then won an MVP trophy with the Vikings a few years back.

Don't get me wrong, he's far from a slam dunk and I'm not really sure that he belongs there. But he's always been a media favorite and I'm sure he'll make it onto the finalist list at least a couple of times and might sneak in.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Actually, he played quite well in the Vikes NFC Championship game against the Falcons, but Randy Moss completely choked. Anybody remember that long TD pass Moss dropped in the endzone?

And didn't Fuad Raivez (sp?), after having been automatic all year long, miss a very makeable field goal that would have wrapped it up for the Vikings?

In addition, Dennis Green's decision to run out the last 30 seconds or so of regulation rather than having the NFL's highest scoring offense ever try to get in field goal position was highly questionable, to say the least.

Originally posted by rtandler

And didn't Fuad Raivez (sp?), after having been automatic all year long, miss a very makeable field goal that would have wrapped it up for the Vikings?

Actually, I think that was Gary Andersen who missed that field goal that would have won it for the Vikings and shot them into the Super Bowl. It was the other Anderson, Morten, who made his FG and that is how Atlanta got in, only to get waxed in the big game.

I still say the Vikes woulda beat Denver. Besides being an a$$hole, Moss is a complete choker in the playoffs. What were they thinking giving him that ridiculous signing bonus!?! Also, that was the first FG Andersen missed all year. Kinda like Turks one botched snap being at the end of the playoof game against Tampa (ouch!)

On a side note, the only reason Fouts ever got all those stats can be summed up in 2 words "Joe Gibbs!" Period! Just as he did with other mediocre or inconsistent QBs, Gibbs as San Diego's OC was able to turn Fouts into a passing machine. As soon as Gibbs came here, Fouts went straight down the toilet. The only difference between Fouts and Schroeder was Fouts had Gibbs for more years.

Archived