Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Satellite Dish Nightmare

heyholetsgogrant

Roughly three years ago my family decided to get direct TV, because the programming was better than cable and they were having one of their come-on’s. A few weeks later the instillation man arrived and install the dish on a tree facing the southern sky….but the instillation didn’t look right, because we noticed a tree branch about 10-15 feet above the dish was not in full bloom yet…so my dad asked of that branch would affect our TV when the leaves start growing, the man said no don’t worry about it. So what do you think happened?, the branch grew out a few weeks later and our TV cut out….well lets just say my dad made a very angry phone call to direct TV and we had the branch removed a week later. Throughout the duration we have had satellite TV the signal would go out during thunderstorms and heavy cloud cover, we decided that it was not a big deal and just let it be….but another thing started to happen, since we live in the vicinity of BWI Airport, planes come over our house at least every 30 minutes, and every time a plane would come over head the picture would bunch up into chopped up pixels (I thought this was actually funny because I would hear a big F bomb from down stairs when ever a plane came over head). Just recently another tree branch started to block the signal, which was about 5 feet above the branch we had removed previously …that was the last straw…our contract with direct TV is up and we are switching to Digital cable.

-Grant

Originally posted by heyholetsgogrant

Roughly three years ago my family decided to get direct TV, because the programming was better than cable and they were having one of their come-on’s. A few weeks later the instillation man arrived and install the dish on a tree facing the southern sky….but the instillation didn’t look right, because we noticed a tree branch about 10-15 feet above the dish was not in full bloom yet…so my dad asked of that branch would affect our TV when the leaves start growing, the man said no don’t worry about it. So what do you think happened?, the branch grew out a few weeks later and our TV cut out….well lets just say my dad made a very angry phone call to direct TV and we had the branch removed a week later. Throughout the duration we have had satellite TV the signal would go out during thunderstorms and heavy cloud cover, we decided that it was not a big deal and just let it be….but another thing started to happen, since we live in the vicinity of BWI Airport, planes come over our house at least every 30 minutes, and every time a plane would come over head the picture would bunch up into chopped up pixels (I thought this was actually funny because I would hear a big F bomb from down stairs when ever a plane came over head). Just recently another tree branch started to block the signal, which was about 5 feet above the branch we had removed previously …that was the last straw…our contract with direct TV is up and we are switching to Digital cable.

-Grant

Honest question Grant. Why did the installer put your dish in a tree? Why not the roof (in front or back) of the house? Trees can be so unstable, especially on strong windy days. Seem the installer "dropped the ball here." I've had Direct TV 6 years now. Never turning back.

The prblem with my house is that its pushed back into a wooded area, my house is surrounded by trees, but your right I have no Idea why he did that. We could have gotten the tree removed, but it would have cost $300. Plus our contract was up and comcast was having a sweet deal where you get cable internet, digital cable, and HBO Cenimax for $70 a month.

-Grant

Originally posted by smashmowf

Man thats the installers fault not directv....in the all the promos they say you need a clear view of the southwest sky. That guy should be nailed to the tree right next to the dish

Yup. I put this directly on the installation. Its unfortunate too. I have to have Sunday Ticket to see my Skins, being stuck in Lions country. I'd rather watch plaster dry than the Lions/kittens!:puke: So when my installer came. I made it clear, this was a life or death assignment. His!:laugh:

I just made the switch. Solely based on NFL Sunday Ticket and NFL Network. So far so good. :fingersx:

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Grant - find that installer and cut off one of his arms, for making you cut off one of the tree limbs.

Originally posted by smashmowf

Man thats the installers fault not directv....in the all the promos they say you need a clear view of the southwest sky. That guy should be nailed to the tree right next to the dish

i often wonder about that. will they install it anyway even if it doesn't have a clear view? like these guys care if you can watch tv if they get your $$ every month.

It's not DirecTV that is the problem, it's that you are surrounded by trees and a moron came to install it. I have had DTV for 7 years and other than 2 big snow storms in Northern New Hampshire, I have never had a problem with my signal. Nothing beats the NFL ticket. I will never have anything else.

I've had the dish installed on 3 separate occassions. The first time I did it myself (when the dish first came out and they charged you for installation), and the next 2 times the DirecTV subcontractors did it. Both times it was obvious those guys were trying to put it in a place that allowed them to get in and get out quickly...they were not at all concerned with the best reception.

...so after a couple days of crappy pictures I called DTV and asked them to have the installer come back and find a better place. The installers were not happy...but I told them (nicely) if you put it in the right place the first time you wouldn't have to come back.

My neighbor across the street had one installed a couple of months ago. The idiot mounted it to a telephone pole????? It's still there now...but once the phone company notices it they'll be back to re-install I'm sure.

I told the installers where to put it. They were going to mount it to the brick exterior about 5 feet off the ground. Idiots. I made them get their ladder and put it on the eave where it was high out of harms way and there was no way anything could interfere. Great reception. Better then cable ever was, but I didn't have digital cable

Archived