Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Maske Season Hinges on Gibbs, Ramsey

denverdan

Mark Maske's article seemed overly pessimistic. This could be a good thing for a team with deep pride because it hurts to read this kind of stuff. Despite a few exceptions, I sense team pride is returning to the Redskins locker room. Would not be surprised if Ramsey and his offense respond to all the off-season negativity in a very positive way. Will love watching the Skins ground attack chewing up yards and the big plays that are sure to follow. Fully expect to see Ramsey and company lighting up the scoreboards this season.

Theres alot of pessimistic people on this board. Alot of 8-8 talk or worse, or slightly better. Sorry after what I have seen in the offseason and am no football genius the Redskins this year will be way better than that.

Originally posted by Om

Two clear points I wish someone as good as Maske would at least mention in this discussion:

1) People who were around following the team in the first Gibbs era were NOT all expecting a "seamless transition back to being the sideline virtuoso who won Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks." In fact I'd argue that very FEW did. The statement is unsupported and reads as argumentative.

2) Even Maske doesn't distinguish between the lost-looking offense from early in the 2004 season and the offense that finished the season once Ramsey got comfortable and Gibbs started getting his legs back. To fail to even mention the progress the unit made---visible both statistically AND by a simple review of a game tape or two---does Gibbs, the offensive players AND the team as a whole an injustice.

Doesn't do much for discriminating fans, either.

----

Om great point. The second half skins offense with PR under center, the same offense that blew out the Giants, the Vikings and stayed with the Eagles all the way until the end was nothing like the one we saw in the first half of the season. The only bleep in there was Dallas and only because for once the D let as down on a fluke play. If the offense of line gets better (and we all know it will with Jansen and Rasbach) then I think people will be in for a big suprize.

Another point very few if any writers make is the fact that Vermeil when he came back (and he never had a superbowl win to begin with) he went something like 4-12 and the following year he built a team that won the superbowl and had the greatest offense of any team in a very long time. Gibbs went 6-10 with a team that had major injuries and you could argue also that the team stayed in almost every game they lost until the late in the 4th but he just gets the same bullcrap about how the game has passed him by. Crow is cooking as we speak.

I think Vermiel had two losing seasons and was on the verge of quitting when he finally had everything come together and won the super bowl in St. Louis.

People don't think about that when they say the game has passed Gibbs by.

I'm ready for the season to start.

Originally posted by JRAB

I think Vermiel had two losing seasons and was on the verge of quitting when he finally had everything come together and won the super bowl in St. Louis.

People don't think about that when they say the game has passed Gibbs by.

I remember that some of the same questions were asked of Vermiel as well when he was hired by the Rams.

It is really hard to say until you had 3-4 years to develop something. Success doesn't happen overnight.

Jason

Archived