Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone want to chat with Drew Rosenhaus? (Changed to 5:30pm)

Dead Money

That douche ducked every one of my questions. I'm sure he had a billion, but it still p!sses me off!

My last question was "If you respect the fans so much, why not give us a real, uncanned response to the Sean Taylor questions!"

I thought for sure he'd answer that one....:jerk:

Originally posted by jrockster77

That douche ducked every one of my questions. I'm sure he had a billion, but it still p!sses me off!

My last question was "If you respect the fans so much, why not give us a real, uncanned response to the Sean Taylor questions!"

I thought for sure he'd answer that one....:jerk:

I asked if sean would be in camp if he didn't get in trouble, as you know no response.

Originally posted by Monkart

Portis and S. Moss were in Drew's top 10 deals. And AP to the Giants was in there also, needles to say Redskins have been Very Very Good to his wallet.

Everyone grab some pitchforks and torches, this bloodsuckers reign of terror ends NOW!

Aww nuts - can't believe I missed this - I could have emailed him my old Drew Rosenhaus / Sean Taylor puppet sig....

Nice answers - I agree.....what is he going to say - ST is a pain in my ass.....this kid is hopeless.....I should get 10% instead of 3 for babysitting this thug.

Oh man - would that be refreshing.

He's greedy, slimy, bad for teams and bad for the fans. I submitted a question just for fun, I knew it would not make it. But I already know the answer is yes anyway. I asked him if he had his way, would NFL players make on average $30 million a year, while your average fan who works hard for a living pays $1000 for nosebleed seats, and $60 for a beer.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8351

Buzzmaster: Hellooooooo! OK, uber agent Drew Rosenhaus will be here soon . . . keep those questions coming!

Buzzmaster: Hey folks.. Drew is just finishing up a meeting and will be here at 5:30 ET .. thanks for your patience.

Drew Rosenhaus : I am here and ready to go!

Drew Rosenhaus : In terms of actual negotiations, there will be some things I can't discuss. I just want to say that up front. Sometimes I just won't be able to comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Yeung (Los Angeles): I see from the article that you have 90 clients, can you see yourself adding more people to your roaster? If so, what's your cap on the roaster?

Drew Rosenhaus : I really don't get caught up in the number of clients. I focus on the quality of the players. I can't envision adding too many mroe guys overall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark (MInneapolis): Do you have a set of criteria athletes must meet for you to be willing to represent them?

Drew Rosenhaus : My criteria is a player with ability. I want to represent the most talented players out there. But I also want to represent guys with high character that I am proud to associate with.

Steven (Pt. Washington, NY): How much money do you make in a year? Do you think 3% is too little or too much?

Drew Rosenhaus : I really can't divulge that! But I have negotiated over $500 million in contracts over the past year and the standard is 3 percent so you can do the math!

Alex in Philly: What are the chances that T.O. will report to training camp on time?

Drew Rosenhaus : That is still up in the air. That is something Terrell and I are discussing on a regular basis. That decision has not been determined as of yet.

Murph - Dousman, WI: What are the chances J. Walker will be suiting up on opening day for the Packers? I think his career will suffer if he holds out on Favre and the rest of his teamates. Thanks Drew. Murph

Drew Rosenhaus : We are hopeful of getting deals done for players like Walker and Owens. It is impossible to project the liklihood of them playing at the start of the season. But we have confidence in both organizations. I represent several players on both teams and am optimistic about solving this. It is our desire to get them in camp as soon as possible.

Greg (Washington, DC): Have you thought of getting into any other sprots besides football?

Drew Rosenhaus : Not at this time. My focus is on the NFL. That is my passion. My family is avid football fans. I have been tutored in football and I want to be the best. I wouldn't rule out going into other sports though.

Kalli, Boston: What are your feelings about working with the Patriots, who are known to be tough negotiators? I know you have several clients who play for the team.

Drew Rosenhaus : I have a tremendous amout of respect for Belichick and Pioli. I consider myself to be in a good working relationship with both of them. There is no question the Patriots have a very tough policy regarding rookie contracts but in relation to veterans, there is nothing unusal about dealing with them. I enjoy it actually.

roger - west palm beach, florida: If you were Ricky Williams' agent, how would you handle his contract negotiations this year? Do you think he deserves his full salary?

Drew Rosenhaus : I personally like Ricky very much. I would try to develop a relationship with him on a personal level to find out the real issues. Once I know the issues, it would be my recommendation to get him back in the league. He is a great player with a great future ahead of him. Whether that is with the Dolphins or not is up for debate.

Jason (Maryland): What's the deal with Sean Taylor? Aggravated assault? What's next for him?

Drew Rosenhaus : What's next is training camp. He will be in camp. He will have a great year and go to the Pro Bowl. I'm confident the present issues will be handled professionally and he will be able to focus on football.

Alisha : Are you single?

Drew Rosenhaus : Yes. I presently am not in a serious relationship. But I'm very committed to my profession. You could say I'm married to my job.

Jon (NY): I hear you and an agent from Chicago are battling it out over Anquan Boldin; is this true? What about these claims that you poach from other agents?

Drew Rosenhaus : What is accurate is that Boldin is my client. He was formerly represented by an agent in Chicago. That agent has some issues with us and we have some with him. But that will be determined accordingly. It is a work in progress. But Boldin is our client and that is not up for debate.

Brian Karp, Denver: Why is a contract essentially meaningless in sports, especially football? Coaches leave for better opportunities all the time, and one of your own clients, TO, wants a new contract after completing year 1 of a 7 year deal. Did you poorly negotiate TO's current deal, or did you just underestimate his market value?

Drew Rosenhaus : The bottom line is that contracts in the NFL are a one-way street. The teams have the ability to terminate a contract whenever they see fit. The teams have the ability to release a player no matter how long he has left. Execpt on guaranteed contracts but those are few and far between. Contracts are essential. But let's understand that teams can terminate anyone at anytime. In some situations, players are underpaid and don't feel they are getting fair value and want a raise. It should work both ways. If teams can release a guy and not honor the contract, a special player should have the right to be able to ask for more money if he is underpaid.

Nate (philly): Hey Drew,I heard you have no soul.... is this true?

Drew Rosenhaus : That is absurd. I am successful because I have a big soul and big heart. I love the NFL and respect the fans. I was a fan before I was an agent. I care deeply about my clients and my committment to them and their families. I hope I enhance the product and help players with their careers. I certainly have a soul. I'm a very caring person with a very close knit family.

Matt (Seattle): Hey Drew... What is your position on baseball teams automatically eliminating Scott Boras' clients from their draft boards just because he is their agent? Is his work good or bad for your profession?

Drew Rosenhaus : I certainly want to be an agent that teams want to work with. You don't want to be loved by teams but you want to be respected. You have to be a professional. I am convinced no team in this league would not want to work with me. They know I am a fair agent and make fair deals. The only time I have a problem is when a team is not working with me or being blatantly unfair. I don't think teams can afford to not deal with me based on the kind of talent I represent.

Greg (Hartford): Drew, you looking for an intern to help out with your 90 clients? I wont demand nearly as much as TO

Drew Rosenhaus : Ha! We are always looking at interns. We presently don't have any. But we will be examining it in the future. I'm unique in that I don't really have an office. I'm always moving around. We have an office in Miami Beach but we aren't always there. It's not like we have a normal office.

Drew Rosenhaus : Just to mention Jerry McGuire.. how he was always on the move and traveling, that's my life.

Jake (Indy): Have you ever gotten complaints from other agents because of the frequency people leave their agents to join you?

Drew Rosenhaus : Yes. My competitors are constantly complaining. That's OK by me. When that happens it means you are successful. They are jealous because of the success we are having. Many agents whine and complain, but if they focused more on the job they wouldn't lose their clients.

Harold (Los Angeles): When athletes get in trouble...do they usually call their agent or their attorney first?

Drew Rosenhaus : That depens. Usually they will call me and then I refer them. Most guys don't have attorneys unless they need them. When an athlete gets in trouble, I will put them in touch with the right people.

Fred(NY): Hey Drew, what your position on NFL eligibility? Thanks

Drew Rosenhaus : I like the system as it is. In the NFL you have to protect these young men. It is a very physical, injury-marred sport. It is not in the best interest for a young person to enter this league. Three years is a good policy. I was very concerned about the Clarett lawsuit. I would have been saddened had they relinquished the age limit.

Dave (Stockton College): Who is your top competition in the agent field....even though you're "The Shark," there are "other fish in the sea"

Drew Rosenhaus : I really can't single anybody out. I don't pay attention to other agents. I don't think I have any competition, how about that?!

John (Sacramento): Do you feel that you have been portrayed fairly by ESPN?

Drew Rosenhaus : In what respect? I have no complaints. I think the world of ESPN. In terms of their coverage, they are very fair. They do an even job of giving me a chance to respond to things. People are entitled to their opinions. I just ask that I get the opportunity to respond and I usually get that chance

Darius (Oakland): If you could change one thing about the NFL, what would it be?

Drew Rosenhaus : I think I would try to find a way to guarantee more of the contract. I have great concerns about players who sign multi-year deals but don't get a real chance to play out the contract. I wish there could be more guaranteed contracts. I have been working on that within my negotiations.

Ray (Vegas): What else do agents do for thier clients besides negotiate contracts ?

Drew Rosenhaus : I'm primarly a contract negotiator. But I also deal with fines, injuries, evaluating options, communicating with the organization about problems, trade possibilities, etc. On a daily basis I am a confidant. I will talk to them about anything and everything. If they need a financial planner or legal advice or anything, I can refer them. I am in charge of their day to day NFL affairs. Robert Bailey is our marketing expert and handles endorsements and such. He also works with charities, foundations, etc. Many of my clients like to give back.

T. Holt Durham,NC: Drew who was your very first client?

Drew Rosenhaus : Robert Massey of North Carolina Central! He was a phenomenal player in DII who went to the Saints. I have a great respect for him to this day. I was a 20 year old novice who had never represented anyone before. He made a Pro Bowl and played almost 10 years.

Darren (Massapequa, NY): Drew, I feel I got hosed on my last performance review. Can you give my boss a call and negotiate something?

Drew Rosenhaus : Ha! Everyday in my day to day activities, somebody comes up to me in almost every walk of life and wants a new deal! It's a running joke for me. But I love interacting with people. I love the ''show me the money'' remarks and all of it. I am a very outgoing, gregarious, affectionate person. I try hard to interact with people.

Darrell (Boston): Do contract negotiations ever end up with people yelling at each other?

Drew Rosenhaus : That has only happened on a very limited basis. I have had a team yell at me probably less than 1 percent of all my negotiations. Me yelling would also be less than 1 percent of the time. I try to keep things very civil and very positive at all times. We do work hard on my end to keep it moving professionally.

sean (nyc): don't you worry about your clients public image? TO is taking a beating.

Drew Rosenhaus : I always worry about that. It's one of the things you have to be concerned about. TO's image should not take a beating. You always have to do what you think is right and this is what he thinks is right for his family. It is not warranted for his image to suffer. He is doing what he thinks is right. When we get this resolved and he plays again in Philly or elsewhere, he will be adored. He is a future HOFer and I have every reason to believe he will resume his popularity. Fans forget off the field controversies quickly, as soon as you score that first TD. TO hasn't hurt anybody, he hasn't broken the law, etc. People should not be upset by what he is doing.

Albert (Calgary): Being an attorney and agent, as well as a bit older (and white), do you ever feel a cultural gap between you and your clients?

Drew Rosenhaus : Not at all. I represent players of great diversity. I look at all of my clients as brothers. I judge them based on what is on the inside. The cultural differences are exciting to me. I love diversity and love to learn all I can about them.

Bruce (Duluth, MN): After a long, drawn-out negotiation, do you buy your player dinner, or do you let him pick up the tab for you?

Drew Rosenhaus : I almost always pick up the tab! I take a great deal of pride in being a good sport. I try to be as generous as I can. I insist on treating them when we go out or go to lunch or anything.

kevin (cali): how type of degree would you tell a student to get to be a good agent? Law, MBA, CPA ???

Drew Rosenhaus : I would think the best way is to graduate from college in business or whatever you enjoy then go to Law school and learn the discipline and legal way of thinking.

Drew Rosenhaus : John Weistert was a worlld famous professor in sports law. I learned a ton from him.

Joe (DC): Hey Drew, what do you think of Dan Snyder? What do you think of how he's portrayed in the media?

Drew Rosenhaus : I think a lot of Dan. I admire him. He has a fierce drive to win. He has a great understanding of personnel. He is a very likeable individual. He is a fun person to be around. We have played racquetball together! He is one of my favorite people to deal with. It's fun to negotiate with him. As far as how he is portrayed, he should be portrayed as a great owner who the players respect and spares no expense in trying to win.

James (St. Louis): Do you ever get to relax and enjoy your success?

Drew Rosenhaus : You know, I enjoy my work. My work is relaxing. Being an agent is my passion. I love it. I am a second degree black belt, I like playing paintball, tennis, going to movies, I like to hang out in South Beach. I like the lifestyle here in South Beach. I surf, jet ski, spend time with my nephew Max and neice Isabelle. My family lives down here as well.

Drew Rosenhaus : I'm also an avid comic book collector. I lift weights a lot .. run with my clients .. so yes, I get a chance to enjoy my success.

Dom (Bay Area): Deal you're most proud of, and deal you wish you had a second chance to negotiate.

Drew Rosenhaus : The deal I'm most proud of is Clinton Portis. We renegotiated after two years and was the highest paid player in history at the RB position. He was only two years into the league before he gained that status. As far as going back, none come to mind.

Sean (Washington DC): Drew, what's your favorite comic book?

Drew Rosenhaus : Probably Conan The Barbarian No. 1. Also Batman year 1. It deals with his transformation into Batman, his training, his discipline, dedication, etc. I love Conan because of his fierce style. He is relentless.

Drew Rosenhaus : My favorites right now are Batman, Daredevil, Justice League, Avengers .. I'm reading about 15 active books right now.. The Walking Dead is another one ..

Drew Rosenhaus : People wonder why this guy in a suit and tie is reading comic books! I get a kick out of it.

Bryant (Columbus): Drew, do you think that salary caps are good or bad for sports?

Drew Rosenhaus : Well, in an ideal world I would prefer not to have caps. We would have bigger contracts for sure. But I can understand it. It keeps some competitive balance and gives flexibility. I consider it to be a semi-soft cap. You can work within it. It's a good system. But I won't shed any tears if it goes away.

Jonathan (Boston): In a article I read that you sleep only a few hours a night. What do you do specifically in order to keep your energy leve high?

Drew Rosenhaus : I don't think I have to do it, but I ordinarily do it anyway. I'm not a big fan of sleep. I enjoy too many things. I enjoy reading comics, being with my family, hanging out with friends, playing video games, etc. I stay up late just having fun. Recently I have been playing The Punisher on my Xbox. That keeps me up.

fg (dc): what are you advsing Sean taylor on now? Very talented player but his off field performance has to make your job much harder.

Drew Rosenhaus : I have the ultimate confidence in Sean as a player and person. His situation will be rectified. The only advice I am giving him is to work hard with the professionals around him and to keep his chin up. I intend to stay with him every step of the way. We will work our way through this.

Randy (Corinth, TX): Do you still have your pet shark?

Drew Rosenhaus : The shark outgrew itself. We had to give it to an amusement park in the Florirda Keys. But we have about 6 tanks with tropical fish, turtles, frogs, etc. I have two bulldogs, a cat, iguanas .. it's like a zoo at my place. But I miss the shark.

MC (Portland): What is the slowest time of the year for you?

Drew Rosenhaus : The slowest time would be none! I don't have a slow time. There is no slow time at all. During the season I'm always dealing with clients, management, going to games, traveling, etc. Offseason is even busier.

Jacob Merritt/ Shreveport, LA: What do you think seperates yourself from the other agents in the sports world?

Drew Rosenhaus : The reason we have had success is our work ethic. Our dedication. Honesty. Production. We produce for our clients. We work hard to get top notch contracts. We fight for our clients. We are extremely dedicated to doing what is best for them.

Chris (Oconomowoc, WI): At Javon Walkers charity softball game in Milwaukee you we in attendance and we're booed. Does this happen often and do you feel that you are often treated by fans as a villian?

Drew Rosenhaus : It's not often. I can be the villian from time to time but that's OK. They cheered for Javon. If they cheer him and boo me, I'm fine with that. I'm here to be the bad guy in difficult situations. Don't blame Javon or TO, fault me. I'll take the heat everytime. I'm there for my clients. I don't mind be booed or yelled out. I respect the fans and value your opinions.

jim (san leandro): Drew,Have you ever turned down a client because he was "to much trouble"......

Drew Rosenhaus : I have turned down clients for various reasons. Sometimes by character issues or a conflict of interest. Or sometimes I just don't hit it off with a client. I can't represent everyone who wants us to represent them.

Tyler, Tampa: Are there any more books in the works?

Drew Rosenhaus : Right now we are contemplating doing a sequal to ''A Shark Never Sleeps''. We are looking into it. We have some amazing stories to tell.

Alvin (Tampa): Do you negotiate any NFL or NCAA coaches contracts??

Drew Rosenhaus : I have never done that. I don't know that I would. There can be a conflict of interest in representing a coach and player on the same team. I would have to look at that on a case by case basis.

The Dish (Carol Stream, IL): How about a agent video game?

Drew Rosenhaus : Hey! That would be very entertaining. This is a very fun profession, I won't kid you. I take it very seriously though. I wouldn't do anything else. If I won a billion dollars, nothing would change. I would still do this. There is no end in site for me. They will have to bury me with my cell phone, a football and a speed dial of NFL teams!

Drew Rosenhaus : I want to thank all of you for your questions and interest. I look forward to doing this again in the future. Take care!

Originally posted by jrockster77
quote:

Nate (philly): Hey Drew,I heard you have no soul.... is this true?

Drew Rosenhaus : (5:24 PM ET ) That is absurd. I am successful because I have a big soul and big heart. I love the NFL and respect the fans. I was a fan before I was an agent. I care deeply about my clients and my committment to them and their families. I hope I enhance the product and help players with their careers. I certainly have a soul. I'm a very caring person with a very close knit family.

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are, that's funny! :laugh:

Hmm...He seems to have taken that one seriously.:laugh:

Originally posted by Luca Brasi

You've got to admit that if you're an NFL player, you'd be a fool to not want this guy representing you.

Isn't that the truth. Some things I really don't like about him, but there are other qualities that I do respect.

Hate to admit this, but he seems to be a stand up guy at some level at least. He can't control Taylor. Taylor fired him then rehired him, so what's he supposed to do. I think that Taylor screwed himself and put the team in a fuster cluck by negotiating a bad deal. Rosenhaus is only doing what his CLIENT wants. He's a step above the Postons, but still not clean.

Archived