Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Boys Won't Be Charged in School Bus Fight

Henry

I'd be interested to hear more detail about this story. Anyone know anything?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050601/ap_on_re_us/school_bus_fight

Boys Won't Be Charged in School Bus Fight

1 hour, 6 minutes ago

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. - No charges will be filed against two teenagers whose fight with a school bus driver was caught on videotape and broadcast nationwide.

Prosecutor Stephen B. Russell said in a statement Tuesday that the case against the boys could not be proven.

"After reviewing all of the evidence, including the entire 15-minute videotape of the incident, we cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that either of the juveniles violated a criminal law," Russell said. "While the actions of the juveniles were disrespectful, rude, and profane, their behavior needs to be addressed by their parents and the school district."

A fight broke out May 17 when driver Albert Taylor told a 13-year-old boy to put his seat belt on and the boy's 15-year-old stepbrother cursed Taylor. Taylor then slapped the older boy and grabbed his throat, the video shows. The 15-year-old is seen pushing and punching the 66-year-old bus driver.

The stepbrothers were arrested on felony assault on a school official, punishable by up to five years in a juvenile justice center. Attorney Russell Kirshy said his clients are pleased that prosecutors declined to pursue the case.

"These boys are the victims and they have been from day one," Kirshy said. "The fact they got arrested was a mistake. That's clear."

The boys could still face disciplinary action from the school district. Taylor remains charged with battery, a misdemeanor.

Lawyer Mark De Sisto said Taylor was acting in self-defense and that should be covered by state law allowing personnel to use "hands-on" discipline in a matter of safety for other students, unless it is excessive force or unusually cruel punishment.

If convicted of battery, Taylor could face up to a year in prison. He is on paid suspension from the Charlotte County School District.

Originally posted by Henry

Lawyer Mark De Sisto said Taylor was acting in self-defense and that should be covered by state law allowing personnel to use "hands-on" discipline in a matter of safety for other students, unless it is excessive force or unusually cruel punishment.

This statement is true in our school district.

I saw the tape and it looked bad, however, the boys did surround the bus driver.

It is getting harder and harder to find people willing to drive school buses because the kids are out of control and the parents don't hold their kids to any standards in regards to their behavior.

After reviewing a whole 15 sec's of the tape (I'd like to see the rest), it does appear that the bus driver overreacted. Maybe he was startled that the 15-year old crept up behind him and swore at him, but the kid didn't do anything physically to make him react the way he did. Unfortunately, while the bus driver obviously should be punished, it looks as if the kids will be treated solely as the victims here, and no repercussions for their actions will be taken. I hope I'm wrong.

Originally posted by codeorama

It is getting harder and harder to find people willing to drive school buses because the kids are out of control and the parents don't hold their kids to any standards in regards to their behavior.

I remember one time when I was in elementary school a kid mouthed off to our bus driver when he was bringing us home. I don't remember what the kid said, but I do remember laughing my ass off because I thought it was funny. The bus driver kicked me off the bus for laughing....I had to walk home...about 2 miles:laugh:

When I told my dad he said "His bus, his rules":mad:

Here in CT we actually have quite a few parents who refuse to put their kids on the bus. In the last couple of years we've had bus drivers busted for having sex with one of the kids, it was found one was an ex-con and the company knew this when they hired him, another one was a witch (the real kind, not just saying she was a bi+ch:laugh: )....

Originally posted by red zone

I think maybe the bus driver over reacted a bit. However, those kids are way of of contol and got wat they deserved.

Can only hope you are this understanding if any kids you have or will have talk back to someone and the response is five fingers around their neck.

Nothing those kids could have said or refused to do justified the driver's response. If he's having that much trouble, knowing the behavior is being videotaped, report it and have the kids bounced from the bus. Maybe having their parents provide transportation to and from school will improve their attitude.

You don't snatch them up by their neck and start hitting them.

Originally posted by SkinsNut73

Here in CT we actually have quite a few parents who refuse to put their kids on the bus. In the last couple of years we've had bus drivers busted for having sex with one of the kids, it was found one was an ex-con and the company knew this when they hired him, another one was a witch (the real kind, not just saying she was a bi+ch:laugh: )....

Of course I don't know exactly how she was practicing, but I don't see how being a witch should disqualify her from being a bus driver.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

This video:

http://movies26.enwhore.com/busdriver.wmv

Much better link.

The bus driver clearly over reacted to the situation and started the physical confrontation when the boy gets behind him and very loudly insults him. Bad decision on his part you don't starting swinging at children like that. I was surprised however by how willing to partake in the violence the kids were, I find this disturbing. They have no fear at all of the adult and in fact mock him at the end of the video demanding he call the authorities, not out of alarm for what had just occurred, but instead to show they’d win in the end.

Society really needs to get kids under control so that these little troublemakers do not become the norm. The kids need to be expelled and the old guy driving the bus needs to find a line of work, as much for his own good as the kids unfortunate enough to find themselves on his bus.

Originally posted by dfitzo53

Of course I don't know exactly how she was practicing, but I don't see how being a witch should disqualify her from being a bus driver.

....well, I wasn't going into details because I didn't want to sidetrack the thread...but she was "preaching" to the kids. If she had kept it to herself she probably would have been fine.

I guess I'm a little biased being in the business I'm in.

Yes, the driver did overreact, however, I bet most of you don't know a school bus driver was shot and killed in the past few months. Violence towards school bus drivers is rising. In our district, we had a student put a knife to a driver's throat about a year ago. Luckily, the driver talked the child out of it, but I (and school bus drivers) hear this stuff every day. Schools are afraid to put the kids off the buses because it will hurt their AYP. Many schools have metal detectors, but the buses that bring the kids to school don't.

It's a ridiculous job to expect someone to do for 50 dollars a day, considering their life is often at risk, their driving record is on the line daily (having to drive an oversized vehicle is not easy) and they can face felony charges for leaving a child on a bus (if a child falls asleep or hides from the driver).

Just something to think about.

You also have to realize the bus driver knows the boy yelling at him from behind is the brother of the kid he's trying to get up front. Its a tactical situation at that point where he probably feels he going to get jumped and reacted...

I couldnt be a bus driver: Assigned seats and if you open you mouth with profanity you should have to report to the principal as if you were in class... but nooooooooo....

I guess I'm a little biased being in the business I'm in.

Yes, the driver did overreact, however, I bet most of you don't know a school bus driver was shot and killed in the past few months. Violence towards school bus drivers is rising. In our district, we had a student put a knife to a driver's throat about a year ago. Luckily, the driver talked the child out of it, but I (and school bus drivers) hear this stuff every day. Schools are afraid to put the kids off the buses because it will hurt their AYP. Many schools have metal detectors, but the buses that bring the kids to school don't.

It's a ridiculous job to expect someone to do for 50 dollars a day, considering their life is often at risk, their driving record is on the line daily (having to drive an oversized vehicle is not easy) and they can face felony charges for leaving a child on a bus (if a child falls asleep or hides from the driver).

Just something to think about.

exactly :notworthy

even since i was a kid i ALWAYS had respect for teachers, public transportation drivers, and police. they may not always do the right thing, but they have to deal with the worse of our society on a daily basis. i typically can't blame them when they snap and kick someone's ass. unfortunately they end up kicking the wrong person's ass but in this case he was right on target. :cheers:

Originally posted by Skin-N-NY

1. Nobody and I mean nobody lays a hand on my kids. I deal with the problems, not somebody else.

Not sure about NY, but in Va, if your kids don't follow directions, by LAW, school officials have every right to lay their hands on your child. Most parents don't know that, but it's very true.

Not sure about NY, but in Va, if your kids don't follow directions, by LAW, school officials have every right to lay their hands on your child. Most parents don't know that, but it's very true.

I've lived in Va my whole life and went to Fairfax County Public Schools and I never knew that. When did this law go into effect? That could explain why when students get into fights at school the administrators actually would restrain them w/ slight force.

Originally posted by Whatchamacallit23

I've lived in Va my whole life and went to Fairfax County Public Schools and I never knew that. When did this law go into effect? That could explain why when students get into fights at school the administrators actually would restrain them w/ slight force.

The law is to protect the faculty and they are encouraged to use slight force, but if push comes to shove, they can do what they need to do. That does not mean throwing punches or anything, but if they have to grab a child, they have the right to do it.

We have parents screaming and threatening lawsuits every day because for what ever reason, they think that their children cannot be touched, which is far from the truth.

I don't think there is a change in any law, It's probably always been that way, but people are more cautious now.

I personally avoid touching any student and luckily, I haven't been in a situation where I personally have had to, but there are situations like this every day.

The most recent one I saw involved a studen and a parent at a bus stop, the student was causing trouble and the bus driver wouldn't let them on the bus so they physically blocked the door per the instructions of the office. The student and parent flipped out. The police arrived and the parent was saying they were going to sue the driver for touching their child etc.. And the police told her, you are lucky that touching was all that the driver did. The student started going for the bus driver and a woman police officer straight up tackled the 10 year old student and put them face down on the road and cuffed them, the parent flipped on and had to be cuffed as well.

This crap happens every day.

"Not sure about NY, but in Va, if your kids don't follow directions, by LAW, school officials have every right to lay their hands on your child. Most parents don't know that, but it's very true."

This should be the law everywhere.

Well, first off my kids are good kids. I have never had to go to school for either one of them. Now with that being said, I still would make sure that nobody would touch my kids, you want to grab them by the arm and take them to the office, fine by me, you grab them by the back of the neck, then you just got yourself an ass whippin from me. Just the way I was raised, and that was in Virginia. Born in Williamsburg and raised in Powhatan and Chesterfield counties. We had a teacher that had a bigass paddle in 7th grade, Dad told him that if he ever tried to use it on me he would use it on the teacher. Those were different times back then. Trust me, if I did something wroing, I was sure as hell gonna pay for it at home. To be honest though, if I ever have to come to words with a teacher over something like this with one of my children, I'll be shocked, their that good. I believe in spankings, got them on a regular basis when I was growing up :laugh: but I have only had to spank my son twice and have never had to spank my daughter (10 and 12 now)

Originally posted by stevenaa

"Not sure about NY, but in Va, if your kids don't follow directions, by LAW, school officials have every right to lay their hands on your child. Most parents don't know that, but it's very true."

This should be the law everywhere.

And no, it shouldnt be the "law". It's your job to raise your kids and punish them, not somebody else's

Ok.

1. Nobody and I mean nobody lays a hand on my kids. I deal with the problems, not somebody else.

2. I agree, the bus driver over reacted.

3. My sons would have had hell to pay when they got home.

What if your kid is beating up another kid, and he'll fight you if you try to pull him off?

Sometimes you got to let some one esle help when your not available.

And no, it shouldnt be the "law". It's your job to raise your kids and punish them, not somebody else's

Of course it's the parents job. Unfortunately, not ALL parents do their job, and I don't think that underpaid teachers/faculty should have to deal with feeling helpless when physical contact is appropriate. You say your children are good kids, so you'll never have to worry about this kind of crap. However, not all kids are good kids, just like not all parents are good parents.

Archived