Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws on PTI......

NoCalMike

It's even simpler than that.

Cartwright was averaging 4.5 yards/carry. Hasselbeck couldn't find his ass with both hands. So what does Spurrier do? He throws.

Spurrier didn't need to adapt to blitzing or not blitzing. He needed to recognize that December games in the mud are running games. Should we buy the moron a VCR for Christmas so he can dust off some old tapes from the Skins archives and get a clue?

Well the thing I don't understand is that for 14 straight weeks, (yes, even after we win) we hear Spurrier say the same damn thing, "looking back on it, we probably should have ran the ball more" How do you say this for 14 straight weeks, and then NOT DO IT? Is he just saying it to look like he has a clue or what? Last week against the Giants, Spurrier seemed to understand that rushing the ball was a strength for this team and he used it to it's full capacity which brought a glimmer of hope. Of course that light bulb went out with a blast after yesterday's embarrassment.

I have a friend who's a longtime Gator fan as well as a Redskin fan. He said even at Florida Spurrier never made any adjustments. I guess back then what he did usually worked, so he didn't need to adjust much. He also told me Spurrier would never win the close games at Florida because he was too bull-headed to just run out the clock and sit on a lead. Sound familiar?

Originally posted by Even Madder

It's even simpler than that.

Cartwright was averaging 4.5 yards/carry. Hasselbeck couldn't find his ass with both hands. So what does Spurrier do? He throws.

Spurrier didn't need to adapt to blitzing or not blitzing. He needed to recognize that December games in the mud are running games. Should we buy the moron a VCR for Christmas so he can dust off some old tapes from the Skins archives and get a clue?

:rotflmao: Totally agree, but I like how you word it better.:laugh:

Cartwright's longest run was 13 yards with 7 men in the box. Cartwright does not scare people. How many seventh-round draft picks scare defenses with a mediocre O-line?

Spurrier's ego is a major-league myth. I watched Florida games for 12 years with SOS there. Spurrier is stubborn with the pass but 90% of the time he embarassed opponents. IMO, he was a better college coach than Jimmy Johnson, who inherited a championship team. Spurrier inherited a team that never officially won an SEC title. I believe the NFL has more SEC players than any other conference and had more FL players than any other school when he arrived.

His teams typically did much better in the second half than the first. The only time they had a rematch with a team that meant anything, they won by 32 after losing by 3 against arguably the greatest college coach of all time.

He lived by his system and sometimes died by it. The offense were seeing now I never saw at Florida in terms of style. He must not have a lot of faith in many of his players. After the four interception, six completion performance, I can see why. Nobody can work miracles despite the media hype.

As Vermeil said, you need players to win. He has Priest Holmes and Gonzalez, a stud OL and his buddy Trent Green. Parcells is very selective about where he coaches and needs his type of players to win. It didn't hurt that he had a coked-up LT and Phil Simms to start his career.

How many teams out there win with an offense-minded coach and easily their best player is a WR who touch the balls on average maybel 7-8 times a game? PLEASE NAME ONE. Quit buying the ex-Cowboy (Aikman and Moose) media hype.

Originally posted by Even Madder

A-f*cking-men!!

Originally posted by JerseyGator

Cartwright's longest run was 13 yards with 7 men in the box. Cartwright does not scare people. How many seventh-round draft picks scare defenses with a mediocre O-line?

Spurrier's ego is a major-league myth. I watched Florida games for 12 years with SOS there. Spurrier is stubborn with the pass but 90% of the time he embarassed opponents. IMO, he was a better college coach than Jimmy Johnson, who inherited a championship team. Spurrier inherited a team that never officially won an SEC title. I believe the NFL has more SEC players than any other conference and had more FL players than any other school when he arrived.

His teams typically did much better in the second half than the first. The only time they had a rematch with a team that meant anything, they won by 32 after losing by 3 against arguably the greatest college coach of all time.

He lived by his system and sometimes died by it. The offense were seeing now I never saw at Florida in terms of style. He must not have a lot of faith in many of his players. After the four interception, six completion performance, I can see why. Nobody can work miracles despite the media hype.

As Vermeil said, you need players to win. He has Priest Holmes and Gonzalez, a stud OL and his buddy Trent Green. Parcells is very selective about where he coaches and needs his type of players to win. It didn't hurt that he had a coked-up LT and Phil Simms to start his career.

How many teams out there win with an offense-minded coach and easily their best player is a WR who touch the balls on average maybel 7-8 times a game? PLEASE NAME ONE. Quit buying the ex-Cowboy (Aikman and Moose) media hype.

Minnesota.

Jersey Gator,

Not to rag (too much) on you, but you're sprouting excuses and old history. Fact is, long run of 13 or not, the running game was working, and the conditions were horrible for an undrafted 3rd string QB (no, he should NOT be backing up anyone in the NFL) to repeatedly throw downfield.

The ugly thing is, all he had to do was look across the field at Parcells. Dallas threw rarely, and they threw short. The freaking fullback was their leading receiver. They played to their strengths and to the conditions on the field.

There's no myth to Spurrier's ego. The proof was that abortion dumped on the field Sunday.

Originally posted by Newera

Jersey Gator

Terrell Davis. 7th or 6th round pick Denver.

Trung Canidate. 1st round pick St. Louis.

...I don't think draft position is dispositive of talent.

For the guy who said Minnesota, they also have a top-tier QB in Culpepper and a a great but oft-injured RB in Bennett (Smith and Williams round out a platoon that certainly outclasses ours)

The lack of talent certainly doesn't excuse the Spurrier's coaching, but you can't say that this team should be winning all these games and Spurrier is the ONLY reason we're losing.

Originally posted by DjTj

Trung Canidate. 1st round pick St. Louis.

...I don't think draft position is dispositive of talent.

For the guy who said Minnesota, they also have a top-tier QB in Culpepper and a a great but oft-injured RB in Bennett (Smith and Williams round out a platoon that certainly outclasses ours)

The lack of talent certainly doesn't excuse the Spurrier's coaching, but you can't say that this team should be winning all these games and Spurrier is the ONLY reason we're losing.

The question was name a team with an offensive coach and their best player a WR who gets 7-8 touches per game. I realise the Vikes have other players, but they fit the scenario.

First off, if there's one thing college football DOES NOT have, it's parity. A select few footballs chools get all the good recruits, everybody else has whoever's left over. In college coaching, Spurrier didn't have to be as flexible.

Second, how is it that you and I and even our wives and girlfriends can sit there on Sundays and diagnose what the adjustments need to be, but the guy getting $15 million a year can't see the same things?

The experiment didn't work. Waiting another year is wasting another year. Yes, we should have kept Schottenheimer for another year. But this guy ain't Schottenheimer. At least Schottenheimer was on an upward path. Spurrier's in a downward spiral.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Uh the pokes did start stacking the line or did you guys ignore my play by play of the game??

Any one remember my comments of Roy williams run blitzing because they dared hasslebeck to throw deep and accurate?

When have facts ever played into these bash Spurrier gripe threads? :laugh:

spurrier does seem to commit to the run until we fall behind by any amount of points. that's when he become norv turner.

if you recall, terry allen and stephen davis would get plenty of touches until we weren't leading. it could be 10-7 or 14-7 with 11:45 to go in the 3rd and norv would start chucking to get it back.

that's how spurrier is. in his defense, he does seem to wait until we're trailing...but in the nfl, it's not necessary to panic the second you fall behind....

One thing to consider with Spurrier whenever you are talking about play calling is the audible. I don't know how much control he has put in Tim's hands, however I am pretty sure the fade pass to Coles that was intercepted by Newman was an audible. I remember being excited that Tim thought that he saw something and was getting us in the right play. The next thing I know he throws a horrible pass and Newman was not fooled at all. I know there was talk of limiting the audibles, but I am pretty sure that was an audible.

Archived