Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Pretty much this. If this was 1994 we'd probably be an 11-5 football team. Just not quite constructed well enough to compete at a high level in the modern day NFL

And we're sure not good enough offensively to drop passes, bring flags and shoot ourselves on the foot. I say we can be much better on offense than this, especially if we can keep players like Thompson, Crowder and definitely Trent Williams in our line up each week. We don't have to be spectacular on offense, just don't stop our own drives and we can control the clock and put enough points on the board to win some games.

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Agreed but we need SIGNIFICANT upgrades on offense. And it’s hard to do with you’re locked in with Alex 

Yeah the Smith contract is a hamstring. We need to luck into a cheap QB in the mid rounds that can hit his peak just as the young studs on DL reach the age of maturation/domination to line up our Super Bowl run. Kinda like what the Eagles did, or the Rams are doing now, except they got their QBs in round 1(we need ot use our 1st round picks to address other needs).

12 minutes ago, Skintime said:

The only problem we have is playing teams with losing records. Traditionally those are always a struggle for us.

Traditionally, maybe, but we've only lost to one so far.  Thing about this team is its a formula for beating bad teams, not winning ones.

Just now, Long n Left said:

Like clockwork...one bad game and it’s throw in the towel time for a good lot of you. Fact is, the Skins are still 5-3, and in first place in the NFC East. Me? I’ll just watch the games and hope for the best.

The whine and cheese Redskins have the absolute worst fan base in football. 

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Who was pretending?  This team is what it is.  The question is how many Saints/Falcons-caliber offenses are left on the schedule?  

Regardless of what you think of this team overall, at 5-3....are there 4 more games on the schedule you point that that they can probably win with the kind of team they have?  I say yes.  Doesn't make them a great team.

If we won four or five games against solid teams, I don't think we would be considered pretenders.  Our recorded is skewed imo.  We would get blown out by ANY NFC playoff quality team, no matter where we played them.

26 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Like clockwork...one bad game and it’s throw in the towel time for a good lot of you. Fact is, the Skins are still 5-3, and in first place in the NFC East. Me? I’ll just watch the games and hope for the best.

Heck, it feels like a third of ES throws in the towel when we win. 

Other teams and their fan bases dont feel sorry for you when you have injuries or poor qb play or inconsistent play or anything else so this team and this fan base should take the 5-3 record at the midway point of the season, the 2-0 record in the division, the conference tiebreakers over Carolina and GB, get ready for the second half of the season, Tampa next week, roll the dice and hope for the best. The injury situation definitely concerning though again :/.........HTTR

3 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

If we won four or five games against solid teams, I don't think we would be considered pretenders.  Our recorded is skewed imo.  We would get blown out by ANY NFC playoff quality team, no matter where we played them.

I am not arguing any of that, what I am saying is look at their schedule.  They don't have playoff teams on the schedule outside of the Eagles (assuming they continue turning things around).  What are you suggesting, because this team isn't a superbowl contender then they should just pack it in?  

This team is .500ish but because they jumped out to a 5-2 record, it puts them in a decent position to ride that out.  No one thought they weren't going to lose anymore games, but if they can avoid losing 2-3 games in a row, and stay above .500 they could be ok in the end. Yes, they will likely lose in the opening round of the playoffs, but so what, do you prefer another 7-9/8-8 season?

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am not arguing any of that, what I am saying is look at their schedule.  They don't have playoff teams on the schedule outside of the Eagles (assuming they continue turning things around).  What are you suggesting, because this team isn't a superbowl contender then they should just pack it in?  

This team is .500ish but because they jumped out to a 5-2 record, it puts them in a decent position to ride that out.  No one thought they weren't going to lose anymore games, but if they can avoid losing 2-3 games in a row, and stay above .500 they could be ok in the end. Yes, they will likely lose in the opening round of the playoffs, but so what, do you prefer another 7-9/8-8 season?

Im not saying they should pack it in, but I think it's time for us all to stop pretending like this is a good team.  This team is okay at best, and I'm being very generous saying THAT.

49 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

We beat one good team this year.  Just one!  I'm starting to believe Carolina just had a letdown game against us.  Otherwise we haven't proven that we can beat good teams.  We're division leader frauds.

Which team was that?

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It was fun while it lasted, but I was never pretending to begin with. You can basically set your watch to this football team.

Been that way for decades. They'll likely rebound from this a bit, but they clearly are who they are, and that's not changing in 2018 at least

Correction.  Been that way since Snyder. 

45 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

You're ready to jump off the band wagon over the 1st loss in 4 games and still in 1st place? Offense missing three key players coming in and lose a few today. You bring a whole new meaning to the phase die hard. 

14 points doesn't win games in the NFL but offense was not the issue today.  The so called dominant 5th best defense in the NFL as so many on this board like to talk about gave up 38 points and almost 500 yards in offense.  This offense with all of its starters will never score 38 points.

29 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

I predicted 6-10. I was super excited today - but I came back to my oringal reality.  Someoine has to go- Manusky?

Do you remember how we ended up promoting Manusky?  Because every proven DC we went after said "no thanks" to this organization.  Except for Wade but Jay couldn't get over his ego. 

42 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

10-6 is still attainable and most likely 

the ceiling is just extremely low. They will host a playoff game and probably be killed...possibly against these same Falcons 

and then you regress next season to mediocrity in the standings. Same as the Cowboys and Giants in 2016. Bills and Jags last year. 

The 2018 NFL is set up for offenses to thrive. So being a defense first team isn’t sustainable...especially ours since it isn’t elite. It’s just good. ATL scores off pick plays that aren’t called. The rules are tilted towards offense. Towards passing. We are built the opposite and no, you cannot win consistently like that. It’s not debatable. You can luck into a 10 win season every few years but you’ll be screwed come January 

You feel the defense is good?  Led by Josh "the mouth" Norman whose talk is way better than his play, our run defense is just above good but our pass defense can't stop any good offense.  You will see the reality when we lose both games to the Eagles and Dallas away.  We might win 2 games of the last 8 at best.  Giants and hopefully Tenn.  All others will be big L's including getting beat by Tampa next.  7-9 will be our record when it is said and done.  Norman is pathetic and can't be counted on.  Harris and Richardson only receivers worth a damn and keep Davis but let Reed, Dotson and Crowder walk.  Get rid of all the injury prone linemen, especially Levaro.  This team is pathetic...we were lucky we were 5-2 but the truth is going to show from here out.  Mark my word.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nah, I had it right the first time (but this isn't the thread for that)

The NFL has progressively become a QB driven league.  The teams that have a damn good QB have a chance every week to win.  The teams that don't have to hold on hoping their opponent self-destructs; with bad QB play.  Those people who dreamed we could turn back the clock and win with defense and ball control have had three wake up calls.  Vs Luck, Brees, and Ryan.  Even Luck killed us on the mesh routes (I dunno why we don't zone up vs them).  Really, had Rodgers not been hurt and his receivers didn't have a case of the dropsies we'd have lost that game too. 

It's all about the QB and since Rypien's Super Bowl run the Redskins have only had one who could put up big numbers consistently.  And we let him get away. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

True, but I'm of the mindset that a win is a win. Winning is damn hard, but not as damn hard as this organization makes it seem.

I just enjoy them, few and far in between as they are. I'm 30, I haven't had anything else to look at but largely seasons like this.

Pretty much, this. 

I doubt many were sitting there salivating for the Lombardi this season. 5-3 is about the best case scenario with what optimistic fans were expecting, amirite? 

It has been looking like a Saints or Rams versus Chiefs or Pats in the Super Bowl all along.. and likely will be. 

The Redskins have provided me with an extra smile and a little enjoyment over the last 2 months. It's more enjoyable than some poor fans have it while watching their team flounder with no real chance at anything. The three losses were ugly as ****, really. See what happens next week. Doesn't cost anything to retain a little hope that things improve over time. 

It's just a bunch of overpaid dudes wearing one color.. against another bunch of dudes wearing another color... running around after each other and a little brown ball. Not that serious. Never should be that serious, imho. 

Archived