Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Deadly school bus stop crashes highlight "huge problem" with distracted driving

China

Deadly school bus stop crashes highlight "huge problem" with distracted driving

Car crashes at school bus stops have claimed the lives of five children this week, highlighting what law enforcement officials call a "huge problem" with distracted driving. Four separate early-morning accidents in Indiana, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and Florida have ended in fatalities for five students and left five other children hospitalized, two of them with serious injuries.

The string of deadly incidents began on Tuesday, when a 9-year-old girl and her twin 6-year-old brothers were struck and killed by a pickup truck while crossing the street to board their school bus in Rochester, Indiana. Another child who was injured had to be airlifted to a hospital. The pickup truck driver has been charged with three counts of reckless homicide.

A day later, a 9-year-old boy in Baldwyn, Mississippi, was struck and killed while crossing the street to board a school bus. Then on Thursday morning a 7-year-old boy was found dead by his school bus driver in Franklin Township, Pennsylvania, the apparent victim of a hit-and-run while he waited at his bus stop. Later that morning, five children and two adults were hospitalized in Tampa after being struck by a driver while waiting for a school bus to arrive. Two of the children sustained serious injuries, according to Steve Hegarty, a public information officer at the Tampa Police Department.

"This is a huge problem we've been experiencing all around Mississippi," said Captain John Poulos, a director in the Public Affairs Division at the Mississippi Highway Patrol, in a telephone interview CBS News on Thursday. "Distracted driving plays a huge role with stopped school buses."

As smartphone use, digital dashboard displays and other mobile technology have proliferated, so have the number of automobile crashes involving distracted drivers. The most recent data from the NTSB shows 3,450 people were killed and 391,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers in 2015.

Click on the link for the full article

26 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

This happened in like 3 different states in the last 2 days. It's very disturbing. 

People need to actually stop when a damn bus driver puts the stop sign out

Thats the problem. They dont see it bc they are looking down.

The case where the 24 year old killed 3 siblings, the car driver behind the 24 year old said you could see the bus lights, the bus driver saw the 24 year olds car but she was far enough back that he waved the kids to cross the street, when he bus driver realized she wasnt stopping he started honking his horn to warn the kids ... there is no way she was paying attention and it seems she wasnt paying attention for a long period of time.

Scary. Sad. Easily preventable.

I feel so bad for that mom and dad.

Life can be brutal.

edit - eventually every vehicle will; come equipped with object in roadway sensors etc ... when a school bus puts out its stop arm, it will send signals to all nearby cars dashboards or phones etc ...

1 good thing about lawyers = if people didnt sue when they got hurt, safety prevention and innovation would be zilch.

Newer cars can link to bluetooth.  My last two phones sends an auto reply to someone texting me that I'm driving.  There are things that can be put on the car and phone to help force this, the billboards arent working.

I'd rather see more stuff show on the windshield then looking at the dash for anything, and dash should close more stuff while driving them jus changing the theme.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

This happened in like 3 different states in the last 2 days. It's very disturbing. 

People need to actually stop when a damn bus driver puts the stop sign out. 

Its still less that a than a fraction of a percent of the total traffic... I think someone here posted about how the news companies were interested in selling mania... here is an example....

its sad, and distracted driving is bad, but let’s not make this more than it is.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Whenever I see someone on their phone while driving, I blare my horn at them.  Even funnier when they pick the phone up 30 seconds later and I repeat.  Doubt it is very helpful big picture but it makes me feel better.

I’m probably “that person” but this is really a service people should do more often... phones are so tempting... 

34 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Its still less that a than a fraction of a percent of the total traffic... I think someone here posted about how the news companies were interested in selling mania... here is an example....

its sad, and distracted driving is bad, but let’s not make this more than it is.

So the 3500 deaths an nearly 400,000 injuries per year from accidents from distracted driving isn't troubling to you, especially considering these numbers have been on the rise? 

They really need to just detect when phones are moving at a certain speed and disable them.  That's really the only solution.  The majority of people don't give a **** that they are distracted and will look at their phones all the time while driving.  It's so obvious when driving around and you see a car swerve and they are looking at their phone.  When I am behind someone like that I make it a point to pass them quickly and just glance over to see what they are doing and pretty much 100% of the time they are on their phones.

Sure it would suck for passengers who want to browser their phones while driving, but you know what, tough ****.  Or maybe make it so data is disabled while the car is moving - something like that.  At least that way passengers could watch downloaded things, etc.  

And I say this as someone who is a software developer and has made mobile apps.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Its still less that a than a fraction of a percent of the total traffic...

I have never heard of a fraction of a percent of a funeral of a little kid before.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Passengers should always be able to use their devices.  People use phones in cars for legitimate and necessary reasons.

There's got to be a line, I'm with you, but we've crossed it. Now what?

2 hours ago, China said:

So the 3500 deaths an nearly 400,000 injuries per year from accidents from distracted driving isn't troubling to you, especially considering these numbers have been on the rise? 

No, you are right, distracted driving is a growing problem. I was referring to making a huge mania out of these school bus accidents.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Passengers should always be able to use their devices.  People use phones in cars for legitimate and necessary reasons.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the fact that it's documented that drivers aren't responsible enough to not use their damn phone while they are driving, something needs to be done.  I guess since I'm not one of those people who has to be on their phone and doesn't really use it much, I don't see the big deal of not using it while in the car and I'd be willing to make that sacrifice. 

But then you have things like google maps, and while you can download the maps and use them offline, you wouldn't get real time traffic.  I'm not saying it's an easy solution, but I mean, I'm for somethings that would cut down on drivers not even having the option to use their phone while the car is moving.  If I could come up with that solution as a software engineer, I'd probably be a bajillionaire.

@purbeastyou have to be specific about hat features in the phone are disabled while driving and how the phone will be able to tell you are driving.  Easiest way to tell if car is driving is pairing phone bluetooth, dc will give you a ticket if they see phone in your hand while your driving, why so may people have Bluetooth headsets around here still.  

You want to block apps?  Ok, which ones?  All except essential?  How do you legally make people pair their phones or cars that can't pair?  It seems simple, but there's a difference between the law forcing it and private sector stepping up to admit they are part of the problem and do something about it.

You could determine how fast a phone is "moving" pretty easily with the OS's built in GPS/location services.  You would just get the location over time and calculate the distance between the two locations divided by the time that passed.  I've wrote iOS applications that use location and it's very easy to do that.

And I agree that it's not an easy problem to solve.  All of your questions are valid and don't have simple answers.

But I think we all agree that there's no reason someone driving should be using facebook, texting, tweeting, etc.  But people could legit be using Google Maps, Uber (drivers), etc. 

**** I'm sure some of you guys on this board know about how Valdez from the Junkies got into an accident leaving work on 395 because he was looking at Twitter, and he held traffic up for HOURS.  They made a big stink about it.  That's just one of the many accidents due to that ****.

50 minutes ago, purbeast said:

You could determine how fast a phone is "moving" pretty easily with the OS's built in GPS/location services.  You would just get the location over time and calculate the distance between the two locations divided by the time that passed.  I've wrote iOS applications that use location and it's very easy to do that.

Doesn't GPS have to be on for that? I don't typically leave mine on because other apps pull from it and it creeps me out.  How would it know you aren't on the subway or the passenger?

App developer, right?  Everything is modular.  If Android or iOS came with a "driving mode" that disabled apps it determined no essential to driving, cool, that's easy.  How do you make sure people turn it on?  What legal authority is there to force it on? Thats the problem.

Think this is a situation where the law and technology need to work together, where one steps in where the others would be out of bounds forcing the issue.not disagreeing with you for most part , i like this discussion, but if we really gonna have it, this is going to go a couple pages. 

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No, you are right, distracted driving is a growing problem. I was referring to making a huge mania out of these school bus accidents.

I can't imagine the huge mania I would cause if it were my child. (and no one wants to know what I'd do if 3 of my children were lost).

Sorry you don't care. I hope you haven't bothered to procreate. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Doesn't GPS have to be on for that? I don't typically leave mine on because other apps pull from it and it creeps me out.  How would it know you aren't on the subway or the passenger?

App developer, right?  Everything is modular.  If Android or iOS came with a "driving mode" that disabled apps it determined no essential to driving, cool, that's easy.  How do you make sure people turn it on?  What legal authority is there to force it on? Thats the problem.

Think this is a situation where the law and technology need to work together, where one steps in where the others would be out of bounds forcing the issue.not disagreeing with you for most part , i like this discussion, but if we really gonna have it, this is going to go a couple pages. 

Yeah I mean this would have to be something at the OS level, so anything can be done as far as the GPS goes.  As for how it works now, yeah you have to enable it per app for location services.  But again I'm talking about at the OS level so it's different at the conceptual level.  I agree that it would have to be something that technology companies and law would have to come to an agreement on.  It's a really complicated problem with no obvious and/or simple solution.

Archived