Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Well, now that we know how you feel about the best QB we've had here in 30 years, I'm sure you'll dazzle us with other brilliant hot takes. :rofl89:

Will do every chance I get. "Best" is a relative term. Best in what way...stats are NOT THE measure of BEST QB. Best Team Mate, Best Team friendly Option? (Cap space), Best in addressing the Fan Base (flat out lied about intent to work with Skins on FA), Best in showing appreciation to the coach who stuck his neck out for him and  gave him his chance. Best at making me CRINGE in the 4th Quarter or Yell at the TV for his slow starts...

No sir....he was NOT the BEST Skins QB in 30 Years- not by a long shot. But that is my perception on what "Best" means. Jeff George had the "Best Arm"....

Rypien had a great year. Willaims had a great game. Neither did more than Cousins over a 3 year span. Winning a SB is a team accomplishment. Try to understand football better.

Greatness is measured in trophies not statistics, Rypien and Williams won when the lights shone brightest whereas Cousins padded his stats in garbage time and choked under pressure.  I clearly understand football just fine thank you.

Played out just as I hoped.  Shut down their run, establish the run ourselves.  Little concerned how we let them back into the game but with our defense and run game, we have a real shot to make some noise in the playoffs.  And the fact that Richardson really seems to be coming on.... we are about to be come a dangerous team!!!

30 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Will do every chance I get. "Best" is a relative term. Best in what way...stats are NOT THE measure of BEST QB. Best Team Mate, Best Team friendly Option? (Cap space), Best in addressing the Fan Base (flat out lied about intent to work with Skins on FA), Best in showing appreciation to the coach who stuck his neck out for him and  gave him his chance. Best at making me CRINGE in the 4th Quarter or Yell at the TV for his slow starts...

No sir....he was NOT the BEST Skins QB in 30 Years- not by a long shot. But that is my perception on what "Best" means. Jeff George had the "Best Arm"....

Rex Grossman had the best catchphrase. So he has my vote.

Rypien had a great year. Willaims had a great game. Neither did more than Cousins over a 3 year span. Winning a SB is a team accomplishment. Try to understand football better.

I will take what Mark Rypien did from 89 to 91 over any 3 years you wish to choose from Cousins. 2 Pro Bowls and one Super Bowl MVP. Looking at passing yards and completion percentages is as meaningless as wins and losses - different eras, systems and play calling.

Ryp might be the best deep ball thrower I have seen in a Redskins uniform.

Not to help derail my own thread but, for my money:

1. Mark Rypien

2. Doug Williams

Nothing can change the fact these guys, in the last 30 years of this team's existence, brought home Lombardi.

3. Trent Green/Kirk Cousins in, "we're not taking you guys to the promised land, but we don't headbutt walls or stink as bad as some others"

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I almost lost my **** after that drive. But I don't pin it on just Smith...

We've seen that for a few years now...drives where we basically just need to not screw up, yet SOMETHING happens. I don't know what to think. It can't be the coach...it's not the QB since we've seen multiple under this coach make odd choices. I really think it comes down to being a flawed team and, every now and then, we'll have a breakdown somewhere. 

Should Smith know enough to be ULTRA-conservative there? Of course. But, having said that, if he is scanning the field and way before he expects it there's a guy in his face...that's a 0.25 second decision to make. I just think we're not good enough to buckle down and play cleanly all the time. 

I look at it this way:  Brady led the Patriots down the field for a game-winning field goal.  Sure, there were 14 or so other players (including subs or specific packages), but we put that on Brady, and it's a success.

With Smith, I'd do the same thing.  Lead us down the field to a win, that's on Smith.  At the same time, screw it up majorly, that's on Smith.

I'm neutral on Smith himself, but I can't help but look at it as Smith/Fuller/3rd round pick.  I am looking for performance from the latter, and I'm just not seeing it.

15 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I look at it this way:  Brady led the Patriots down the field for a game-winning field goal.  Sure, there were 14 or so other players (including subs or specific packages), but we put that on Brady, and it's a success.

With Smith, I'd do the same thing.  Lead us down the field to a win, that's on Smith.  At the same time, screw it up majorly, that's on Smith.

I'm neutral on Smith himself, but I can't help but look at it as Smith/Fuller/3rd round pick.  I am looking for performance from the latter, and I'm just not seeing it.

I'm willing to overlook the asymmetric nature of the trade (let's face it, until we get an owner with an IQ over 80, we are going to consistently get ****ed on trades from more savvy teams). Smith seems to play lost out there. He doesn't inspire confidence and does not seem even close to a decisive veteran leader, much less one that was drafted #1 overall when he came out of college. I'm very disappointed in him and while I'm glad we won the game, we didn't win convincingly at all and I have my doubts that if we had to come from behind that he would have been able to mount anything better than the disaster we saw down in NO.

13 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

That's completely fair! He's been underwhelming (at best) so far.

The thing that has stuck out the most to me is that we don't seem to have much of a chance once something negative happens. With Cousins, all hope wasn't lost after a sack or holding call. Now, my feeling when we get behind the sticks almost immediately shifts to field position and if the defense will hold. I know he's converted some things, but it just feels like we are OK on a drive if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. 

Given that our drives tend to be methodical and grinding, we are going to have a good number of opportunities for something negative to happen. To me, the biggest progression Smith and this offense can make is converting non-ideal situations a little more often. The likelihood of stringing together 12 plays without facing a 3rd-and-11 or 2nd-and-17 seems pretty low. 

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Cowboys are 0-3 on the road.

Show some backbone.  The team needs you.

LOL If we beat Dallas, that would certainly soothe the backbone pain and get me pumped for the seasons possibilities. Would love to see a few good wins in a row to raise some eyebrows.

The play where the panthers jumped offside and Smith didn’t take advantage of the free play was really disappointing to me.  In Smith, I knew weren’t getting the most physically gifted QB but I thought above the shoulders he would be an upper echelon player.  Brady, Rodgers, those guys have a free play and they are immediately taking a shot for a big gain.  Instead, Smith is looking around for the refs and holding his arms up for a flag and chucks the ball out of bounds. I thought he had more savvy than that.

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

I’m happy that we won, but this is a team that just baaaaarely beat the Giants a week ago, so....

You do realize the Giants ARE a professional football team that has won several SB's in recent times, and although struggling are full of talent along with a new head coach and certainly have pride and will play hard. So it shouldnt be too much of a shock that they keep a lot of games close and win some along the way.

17 minutes ago, mojo said:

The play where the panthers jumped offside and Smith didn’t take advantage of the free play was really disappointing to me.  In Smith, I knew weren’t getting the most physically gifted QB but I thought above the shoulders he would be an upper echelon player.  Brady, Rodgers, those guys have a free play and they are immediately taking a shot for a big gain.  Instead, Smith is looking around for the refs and holding his arms up for a flag and chucks the ball out of bounds. I thought he had more savvy than that.

B-I-N-G-O.

26 minutes ago, mojo said:

I might be wrong, but didn’t hecget pressure immediately and get flushed to his right?  When he threw it I think he was on his back foot with pressure in his face. Like he wanted to go deep but just couldn’t...

I could be wrong though.  

16 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

You do realize the Giants ARE a professional football team that has won several SB's in recent times, and although struggling are full of talent along with a new head coach and certainly have pride and will play hard. So it shouldnt be too much of a shock that they keep a lot of games close and win some along the way.

We’re going to lose to the Giants, possibly the worst team in the NFL.

43 minutes ago, mojo said:

This is the play where I was shown that smith is a loser.

I can get behind him because he's the qb we have, but believing he's anything more than a less capable version of Scott Brunell to me is a waste of time.

Also, I'm not pro or anti cousins, but, comparing qbs that were throwing to the Posse behind the Hogs and Cousins is ridiculous.  

Those were super bowl winning teams with one of the greatest offensive minds of the time drawing up the plays vs our current cast of president skroob, dark helmet, and colonel sanders from spaceball 1 running things now.

Archived