Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game apathy thread: We're baaaack

Burgundy Yoda

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Me personally, I care about the redskins (biggest fan out of anyone i know), i just realize it’s only a game, so i dont let losses ruin my day :)  I was perfectly able to enjoy the pats jags game. Giants cowboys made me want to barf (cause **** them at all times 365 days a year). And I’ll enjoy seeing tomorrow nights game, bears Seahawks :D 

you all should be more like me ;)  Admit it, y’all are jealous. 

Your not a bigger fan than me..GARANTEED..yes I spell it like that on purpose..

Today was ugly as hell..made that trip much longer.. can't believe.the amount of empty seats..take out all the blue and white and it would have been realllly embarrassing

11 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

@Skinsinparadise We can atleast enjoy the fact the Giants are 0-2. I remember you mentioning how much off-season hype they received.  Looks like their win now approach didn't work. 

Yep, good memory, I watched that game.  My wife and most of my in laws are Giants fans so it feels like at times I got to fight for my kids souls as for rooting interest.  So far, I am winning.  But a game last yesterday doesn't make it easy.  The Giants offense looked very much like ours yesterday dink and dunk passes to the running backs -- in their case Barkley.  

13 hours ago, kleese said:

I’ve said it many times, I care just as much now as I did in 1991 and I enjoy it (at least the anticipation and gameday) just as much now as I did in 1991. Now, many seasons hit a point where it’s like “ok, that’s that” and I sort of check out emotionally, but year to year it’s all the same to me. I get no less real enjoyment from the Redskins now than I did as a kid other than the fact that it’s obviously way more fun to win and play deep into the season. 

The reason for this for me is that I’m 41 years old now,

married, three kids, run a business, yada yada yada. Spare time is harder to come

by. I still choose to invest this time in my sports teams and the Redskins are one of them. I don’t think they owe me anything. It’s my choice. I get why some have bailed. If you aren’t enjoying it, you SHOULD bail. Only makes sense. I just decided a long time ago that I’m not going to let the Redskins ruin the Redskins for me. 

The organization is banking on your type of fan to survive.

51 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

@Skinsinparadise We can atleast enjoy the fact the Giants are 0-2. I remember you mentioning how much off-season hype they received.  Looks like their win now approach didn't work. 

I'm waiting for the season where we don't have to completely rely on the rest of this division losing for us to have a playoff shot. Oh, and maybe winning some games along the way.

6 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

The organization is banking on your type of fan to survive.

Not really true... the revenue sharing in the NFL means all teams survive no matter what. The Redskins could sell zero tickets and zero merch and they would still turn a profit due to the way the system of revenue sharing works in the NFL. Attendance is a very, very small portion of the overall revenue pot... and every time someone buys an Aaron Rodgers jersey, it benefits the Redskins as well... and of course the massive TV contracts (in the billions) is what really feeds a lot of the teams. Personally, I live in Oklahoma City and watch most games from my back deck on Sunday Ticket. I usually attend 1-2 games per year and those are normally road games. I buy probably $150-250 worth of merch in a given year updating stuff I force my kids to wear or maybe getting something new for myself. Dan Snyder doesn't owe me jack squat and I don't owe him jack squat. I do it for myself. 

From what people have said about Dan including Al Galdi who said he heard it from people who are close to him -- Dan goes ape when stands are empty, fans are openly unhappy, etc.

While I agree that Dan in pure terms doesn't owe fans anything.  He's the owner he can run it technically anyway he wants. 

However, owning a team does IMO have some meaning to it where fan sentiment should mean something to the owner. And supposedly it indeed does.  Dan loves the Redskins because he grew up a fan.  We are all pretty much in the same boat.  i am not throwing away my lifelong memories that started way before Dan bought the team because its run by a dude who is incompetent.   

Its like saying a restaurant can have rude waiters and cook lousy food -- because customers can just decide to not to go that restaurant and go to another, instead.  In some cases, people do change their team's alliances.  But most people like us do not.  So we are stuck with that product. 

We've seen evidence when there is enough fan unrest it gets Dan's attention.  Dan's old pal Vinny flat out said it effects Dan emotionally when fans are upset.  the problem is Dan I think is out of his bag of tricks to placate fans in those cases - in the past its been:  sexy new HC or nostalgia in some fashion, maybe a big FA. 

The irony to me is he got it right once and that was with the Scot hire.  It's not that anyone knew who the heck Scot was but it was a hire that connoted that business per usual is about to change and he's ready to copy the successful teams.  When that went away, he went back to his usual grab bag -- and his customers (fans) aren't fooled by that stuff anymore.

This division is a cluster **** right now. If someone wins it at 9-7 it COULD be the Redskins. That is the best chance. Because then the team would be slightly better than mediocre, living up to expectations, and the Giants and Cowboys would not be good enough and the Eagles would have a big hangover. 

4 hours ago, Probos said:

The 55k of fans that showed up (not all Skins fans) for the game will probably be the highest total for this season.  The apathy is strong -- this franchise is in serious trouble.....

While our fan base is certainly eroding at a rapid rate, Dan won't have attendance issues when the NFC East rivals or the more popular teams come to town.

Next weeks' game will probably fetch 60% Packers fans. 

Dan will continue to make his money. And no changes will be made as long as the money continues to roll in. Sad

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs Skinsfan and I go to all the games. 

I guess that we're like dogs whose owner kicks them, but keep coming back for more, with their tails wagging. 

At least in the dogs defense, they don't know any better.

We're stupid that way.

Not that I've ever partied with you guys, but I gather that going to Skins games for you is more about the event.  The awesome tailgates that you've been doing for years with fans that you now consider friends.  It's a way of life for you at this point and can't really imagine Fall sundays without it.

I could be wrong, but that's just what I gather of the ever faithful tailgate crew.

2 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

While our fan base is certainly eroding at a rapid rate, Dan won't have attendance issues when the NFC East rivals or the more popular teams come to town.

Next weeks' game will probably fetch 60% Packers fans. 

Dan will continue to make his money. And no changes will be made as long as the money continues to roll in. Sad

I don't buy this and never have. This assumes that Snyder is emotionally detached and only cares about the bottom line. In many ways, we would likely have been WAY better off over the past 20 years if Dan was only about the money. The money "rolls in" no matter what... that's the thing about owning an NFL team... especially in a larger market. There really isn't anything fans can truly do to send a significant financial message. What they can do is send an emotional one-- which we've seen many times over. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not that I've ever partied with you guys, but I gather that going to Skins games for you is more about the event.  The awesome tailgates that you've been doing for years with fans that you now consider friends.  It's a way of life for you at this point and can't really imagine Fall sundays without it.

I could be wrong, but that's just what I gather of the ever faithful tailgate crew.

Nailed it.

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

AYour not a bigger fan than me..GARANTEED..yes I spell it like that on purpose.

Do you have redskins slippers/boxers that you wear for each game? I do. I laugh at your statement :P 

Having a dad that worked with the team  for 6 years, i kinda had no choice but to be a fan of the team ??

34 minutes ago, kleese said:

I don't buy this and never have. This assumes that Snyder is emotionally detached and only cares about the bottom line. In many ways, we would likely have been WAY better off over the past 20 years if Dan was only about the money. The money "rolls in" no matter what... that's the thing about owning an NFL team... especially in a larger market. There really isn't anything fans can truly do to send a significant financial message. What they can do is send an emotional one-- which we've seen many times over. 

I have no doubt Dan is fan of the team and wants to win. 

But you're kidding yourself if you think his bottom line doesn't mean more than a competent football team. Exhibit A: Bruce Allen

56 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

This division is a cluster **** right now. If someone wins it at 9-7 it COULD be the Redskins. That is the best chance. Because then the team would be slightly better than mediocre, living up to expectations, and the Giants and Cowboys would not be good enough and the Eagles would have a big hangover. 

Its way too early to label the division as a cluster. In 2003 the Eagles lost their first two at home and finished 12-4. Heck, in 2016 the Skins dropped their first two at home and were 6-3-1 after 10 games.

The most recent example of the division being a true cluster was 2015, when, after 12 games, the Skins, Eagles, and Giants were all 5-7 and the Cowboys were 4-8.

1. Chris Thompson had some thoughts on the low turnout yesterday: "... I know we want to have our stadium packed out. That makes us feel good. It makes us feel like we have the support of the people ... For it to be as empty as it was, to me, it was a little bit of a shock."

Scott Jennings Retweeted
  2. Most players said they didn’t notice or didn’t care about the crowd. Chris Thompson noticed and cared. He says he was disappointed with both the turnout and the boos. Says they have to play better, but yesterday hurt.

4 replies4 retweets9 likes

September football in the NFL is such a cluster-eff and sloppy and all that jazz that if you get to October and are at least 2-2 you are fine.  Majority of teams will have at least a loss by then so if you are 2-2 going into October you right in the thick of things.

September football is just incapable of being as crisp as it used to be due to all the new rules & regulations on what you can/can't do in the offseason to get prepared for the season.

Even a lot of the better teams don't look great in September, you just don't remember it by the time December rolls around because those same teams are playing at their best. 

The Eagles are still far and away the best team in the NFC East. (and don't look now but Wentz has just been cleared) Sure, they might not be capable of topping their 2017 run, but look at the Redskins/Cowboys/Giants through 2 weeks....you think any of these three teams are going to get significantly better?    It's the Eagles and three .500ish teams most likely. 

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

September football in the NFL is such a cluster-eff and sloppy and all that jazz that if you get to October and are at least 2-2 you are fine.  Majority of teams will have at least a loss by then so if you are 2-2 going into October you right in the thick of things.

September football is just incapable of being as crisp as it used to be due to all the new rules & regulations on what you can/can't do in the offseason to get prepared for the season.

Even a lot of the better teams don't look great in September, you just don't remember it by the time December rolls around because those same teams are playing at their best. 

The Eagles are still far and away the best team in the NFC East. (and don't look now but Wentz has just been cleared) Sure, they might not be capable of topping their 2017 run, but look at the Redskins/Cowboys/Giants through 2 weeks....you think any of these three teams are going to get significantly better?    It's the Eagles and three .500ish teams most likely. 

I generally agree.. although 9-7 from Philly wouldn't shock me. If Foles was the QB all year I'd pick them 7-9 or 8-8. They have no real weapons and now Wallace is out for the year. Wentz is really their "weapon" because he is such a good off-schedule playmaker... he's the best QB in the division, but the injury might have him rusty at first. Their D is really good on the front end, but as we saw in Tampa, their secondary can get exposed. The other three teams all look very meh right now so I don't think Eagles fans should be sweating by any means, but I do think this is one of those years where if you just stay close... you know get to 5-5 or something, there could be a chance to make a move late. I'll take your 2-2 one step further... I'll say be 3-3 after Dallas. Find a way to split Packers, Saints, Panthers, and Cowboys. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Do you have redskins slippers/boxers that you wear for each game? I do. I laugh at your statement :P 

Having a dad that worked with the team  for 6 years, i kinda had no choice but to be a fan of the team ??

Noooo I don't have Redskins pajamas silly... I'll give you the name to several sports bars across the country and you ask them who is the biggest Redskins fan you've ever seen.. guarantee you theyll give you my name ...I tried to leave my stamp at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Billings yesterday but the Skins gave me nothing to go for..it ****ING SUCKED!!!. wasn't sitting too far from an Eagles fan when fitzmagic hit deSean on that 75-yard touchdown and I started heckling lol figuring hey this is going to be a good time then we played the way we did and I just shut my mouth lol, two spoons only thing worth cheering for

....I’d just like one season in my life where they are good the entire season. Late runs are fools good that never lead to anything meaningful unless you’re the Giants.

just one year where they are good every year and have a playoff spot wrapped up early. Almost every team has had one in my 25 years except the Browns and Bills I guess 

Archived