Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Colts Prediction Thread: Will the Redskins "Luck" Out?

skins island connection

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They grade on a play-by-play basis and rank it against league average based on that same situation, so I can see why we’d be 32nd given the handful of 10+ yard runs we allowed on early downs. But any stats after 1 week need to be taken with a grain of salt. The sample size is ridiculously small. 

There are quite a few sites that provide stats and rankings that still hate the Redskins just because they never changed the name.

I looked at a couple [ can't think of them off-hand ] and saw every team name until it came to us, and it had 'Washington' in place of the name, so yea, they're still butt-hurt. The defense could shut down the run to 5 yds for the next 4 games and they might bump it up to 29th...

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

There are quite a few sites that provide stats and rankings that still hate the Redskins just because they never changed the name.

I looked at a couple [ can't think of them off-hand ] and saw every team name until it came to us, and it had 'Washington' in place of the name, so yea, they're still butt-hurt. The defense could shut down the run to 5 yds for the next 4 games and they might bump it up to 29th...

This goes right along with the Redskins never being able to win because of their name... unfortunately

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They grade on a play-by-play basis and rank it against league average based on that same situation, so I can see why we’d be 32nd given the handful of 10+ yard runs we allowed on early downs. But any stats after 1 week need to be taken with a grain of salt. The sample size is ridiculously small. 

The Cardinals ran the ball 15 times for 68 yards.

1st down runs    5 for 16yd  @ 3 ypa

2nd                    9 for 50yd @ 5.5

3rd                     1 for 2yd       2.0

I can see that second down average being in the bottom half of the league ( maybe the worst ? ) , but I would also think those first and third down averages have to be close to the middle of the pack, if not slightly better.

Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, stop using PFF stats as if they really mean anything.  

I get it, I really do.  We want to be able to quantify things so we can simply what is a very complex thing:sports.  And the reality is there just arent many options for that, so hence why so many turn to PFF.  But last week we all saw a dominant defense shut down what used to be one of the best running attacks in the league.  And we saw how PFF ranked Aaron Rodgers below NFL riff-raff after he threw something like 9 TDs and 0 INts in 6 minutes of play(I exaggerate, but you get my point).  They have a long history of producing the same eye-rolling lines as NFL referees about whether a catch was a catch.

Enjoy them for the novelty, but please dont put even a grain of salt on any of their rankings.  I easily imagine one might watch our LBers, safeties, and rest of our defense all sit back and bite heavily on the pass AS THEY WERE COACHED TO DO, and give up easy runs in the last 5 minutes of the game, that look like we didnt play it well.  Because, well, we didnt WANT to play it well at that point.  A

Ask David Johnson whether he thought we were the worst run D in the league, and then go ask the Colts if they are preparing as if thats true.  If anyone working for PFF actually knew how to judge NFL talent they would be working for an NFL team as a scout.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/2018/09/14/cousin-sal-nfl-gambling-pick-week-2/

COUSIN SAL

BET THE FARM ON THE REDSKINS... LOCK OF THE WEEK

Alex Smith is gonna make you a LOT of money this weekend -- if you put your cash on the Redskins to beat up the Colts ... so says Cousin Sal

Sal's now a pro gambling adviser on FS1's new show, "Lock It In" -- so, with the NFL entering Week 2, we asked for a freebie. 

And, why's he so confident Washington will cover the 6-point spread over Indy? 

Two words -- Alex. Smith. 

"Alex Smith is gonna expose [the Indianapolis defense]. I think he throws for like 2 or 3 TDs. They're gonna win like 30 to 13. 

By the way, Sal is Jimmy Kimmel's real-life cousin (hence the name Cousin Sal) -- and the two have been making friendly wagers with their pal, Bill Simmons, for years. 

And, what do they bet on? Everything from inappropriate Al Michaels comments to "Dancing with the Stars."

Get that money!!!

Apparently both starting tackles for the Colts are out. It could be a blood bath. 

wells_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike Wells ESPN Staff Writer 

Colts starting left tackle Anthony Castonzo had a "minor" setback with his hamstring and will miss Sunday's game at Washington, coach Frank Reich said Friday. Castonzo did not practice Thursday or Friday after being limited in practice Wednesday. He originally injured his hamstring in the first week of training camp in early August. The Colts are dealing with injures at tackle. J'Marcus Webb, who started at right tackle in Week 1, was placed on injured reserve earlier this week with a hamstring injury. Joe Haeg started at left tackle in Week 1. The Colts could go with rookie Braden Smith or Le'Raven Clark at right tackle or slide Haeg to right tackle and play Smith or Clark at left tackle.

20 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Apparently both starting tackles for the Colts are out. It could be a blood bath. 

wells_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike Wells ESPN Staff Writer 

Colts starting left tackle Anthony Castonzo had a "minor" setback with his hamstring and will miss Sunday's game at Washington, coach Frank Reich said Friday. Castonzo did not practice Thursday or Friday after being limited in practice Wednesday. He originally injured his hamstring in the first week of training camp in early August. The Colts are dealing with injures at tackle. J'Marcus Webb, who started at right tackle in Week 1, was placed on injured reserve earlier this week with a hamstring injury. Joe Haeg started at left tackle in Week 1. The Colts could go with rookie Braden Smith or Le'Raven Clark at right tackle or slide Haeg to right tackle and play Smith or Clark at left tackle.

Kerrigan and the d line are gonna eat this weekend. I like luck, but he's not the QB he was in years past. They have no running game, and not much of a defense. The skins SHOULD coast to an easy win in this one. 

We'll see how Gruden has the team prepared. I think that will say alot about where this team is at mentally this year.

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, stop using PFF stats as if they really mean anything.  

I get it, I really do.  We want to be able to quantify things so we can simply what is a very complex thing:sports.  And the reality is there just arent many options for that, so hence why so many turn to PFF.  But last week we all saw a dominant defense shut down what used to be one of the best running attacks in the league.  And we saw how PFF ranked Aaron Rodgers below NFL riff-raff after he threw something like 9 TDs and 0 INts in 6 minutes of play(I exaggerate, but you get my point).  They have a long history of producing the same eye-rolling lines as NFL referees about whether a catch was a catch.

Enjoy them for the novelty, but please dont put even a grain of salt on any of their rankings.  I easily imagine one might watch our LBers, safeties, and rest of our defense all sit back and bite heavily on the pass AS THEY WERE COACHED TO DO, and give up easy runs in the last 5 minutes of the game, that look like we didnt play it well.  Because, well, we didnt WANT to play it well at that point.  A

Ask David Johnson whether he thought we were the worst run D in the league, and then go ask the Colts if they are preparing as if thats true.  If anyone working for PFF actually knew how to judge NFL talent they would be working for an NFL team as a scout.

It’s ironic because PFF has been gushing all over the Skins DL on all of their podcasts this week. 

In fact, they’re the only national media that is on board with us. They LOVE Matt Ioannidis and Dunbar was the highest graded CB this past week 

I'm sticking with my original 20-10 win prediction as I don't like changing, but the Colts' O-Line situation does put a new spin on things. I see us blitzing a lot more than last week and expect at least five sacks.

Yes, I have been drinking too much Kool-Aid all week, but I don't care. Go D.

4 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It’s ironic because PFF has been gushing all over the Skins DL on all of their podcasts this week. 

In fact, they’re the only national media that is on board with us. They LOVE Matt Ioannidis and Dunbar was the highest graded CB this past week 

Zach Brown also got a 90+ rating. I think the grades reflect pretty well how good our defense played.

21 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Eh, profootballreference does all the work, not me lol...

But to follow up on @zoony's post, here's a breakdown on all the "blowout" wins each team in the NFC East has had over the last 10 years:

Eagles - 42

Cowboys - 31

Giants - 29

Redskins - 13

To help offset this post a bit....

Fan confidence levels right now according to polls:

Eagles - 98% confident

Redskins - 88% confident

Giants - 83% confident

Cowboys - 22% confident

Ho Hum... The Skins are 6 point favorites. Yea, that happens every week.

Wha happen??!!?!?! All of a sudden we have TD favorite potential.

I remember last year we were functional for a minute and SFO came to town. Skins were about a TD favorite, I went to the game. Although they were led by captain conservative contract play, they had to make us sweat it out. 

This team feels different. 27-13, Skins dominate!!!

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

I'm sticking with my original 20-10 win prediction as I don't like changing, but the Colts' O-Line situation does put a new spin on things. I see us blitzing a lot more than last week and expect at least five sacks.

Yes, I have been drinking too much Kool-Aid all week, but I don't care. Go D.

I see it as kind of the opposite. I think it’s likely we see a similar gameplan as last week where manusky is happy with the pass rush generated by 4 against a porous line so he’ll leave them to it and drop 7 into coverage most of the time. Their line coupled with their weak running game would allow us to do this and rotate the dline all day to keep them fresh. 

I’d be surprised if we blitzed much. 

9 hours ago, Peregrine said:

What is happening  here?

PFF is on the Skins' nuts.

26 minutes ago, moondog said:

I see it as kind of the opposite. I think it’s likely we see a similar gameplan as last week where manusky is happy with the pass rush generated by 4 against a porous line so he’ll leave them to it and drop 7 into coverage most of the time. Their line coupled with their weak running game would allow us to do this and rotate the dline all day to keep them fresh. 

I’d be surprised if we blitzed much. 

You could be right, but I think that he'll let Kerrigan and Smith off the leash a bit more against Luck. They both seemed to be staying home more last week, reading the run first (to my slightly drunk, untrained eye). This week will be more of a pass-first read for both OLBs IMO.

Time will tell I suppose. As long as we win, right?

16 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Well according to “Colon” we lose 31-28 as Indy has a significantly better QB and has solved their O-line...

I detest Colin Cowturd.  I have never forgiven him for his reaction to Sean's murder, nor shall I ever.  What he is, IS a blazing idiot. He exists purely on shock value statements based on no actual knowledge. When we pound the Colts, and we will, he spin it to whatever sells.  Never forget...Hail  

12 hours ago, TheShredder said:

It's a home game. When they win, they're already home.

Well, we play in Maryland but Redskins Park is in Virginia. So, maybe home means there?

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

To help offset this post a bit....

Fan confidence levels right now according to polls:

Eagles - 98% confident

Redskins - 88% confident

Giants - 83% confident

Cowboys - 22% confident

So, it looks to me that the Cowboys most likely win the NFC east.  The last time the Redskins won the east, my confidence in even having a winning season was near 0 at this point.

8 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Ho Hum... The Skins are 6 point favorites. Yea, that happens every week.

Wha happen??!!?!?! All of a sudden we have TD favorite potential.

I remember last year we were functional for a minute and SFO came to town. Skins were about a TD favorite, I went to the game. Although they were led by captain conservative contract play, they had to make us sweat it out. 

This team feels different. 27-13, Skins dominate!!!

We were 12 point favorites. We might have covered that if we don't give up a 45 yard touchdown in desperation time to an opponent two TDs down.

Archived