Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hopkins and the Kicking Game?

Burgold

He's a good kicker, he's not the best, never will be, but he's consistently above average.

Many just won't forgive him for the miss in the Bengals London game. Everyone's so quick to throw away good kickers because they somehow won't accept anything less than Vinatieri in his prime.

I know the OP wasn't clamoring for him to be fired, but plenty were doing so in the game day thread. Look at how many teams have been in kicker purgatory for years (see: Bucs for prime example), it's not worth the gamble to cut ANOTHER good kicker.

Hes bottom half imo. Maybe in the 18-23 range if I had to rank them. Im fine with Hopkins. I think we could certainly upgrade though.

If the questions is - should we have brought in competition? I think the answer is yes but the coaching staff sees and knows more than we do so ill trust them on that.

Future of kickers - I think like the swedish guy for the Ravens, a kicker will both kick and punt. Opens up a roster spot for a 6th WR or CB or 4th TE or a 9th OL. That would let us keep an Apke or Shaun Dion Hamilton or a blocking TE behind Sprinkle or a stroman or any number of young players that will be snagged before making to the PS. .

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I'm hoping you are being sarcastic. Otherwise, that's just silly.

You expect a kicker to be perfect at all times? That's nonsense.

Even the best kickers like Justin Tucker or Stephen Gotkowski miss kicks. Tucker, I believe, missed one last week.

Why would you hold a kicker to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player to? No one can be perfect all the time.

QBs are going to throw incompletions. Receivers are going to drop passes sometimes. And kickers are going to miss kicks.

It's just the nature of being human. :)

I can't believe you invested the finger muscle energy to respond to my sarcastic post. 

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I'm hoping you are being sarcastic. Otherwise, that's just silly.

You expect a kicker to be perfect at all times? That's nonsense.

Even the best kickers like Justin Tucker or Stephen Gotkowski miss kicks. Tucker, I believe, missed one last week.

Why would you hold a kicker to a standard you wouldn't hold any other player to? No one can be perfect all the time.

QBs are going to throw incompletions. Receivers are going to drop passes sometimes. And kickers are going to miss kicks.

It's just the nature of being human. :)

and our defense is going to miss tackles

The deal with Hopkins is the not knowing.  Come on now, how many of you hold your breath just a bit when he is being relied on in a game?  I know I do.  If a game is on the line, or it is a tight game,  he is not money.  It is all about results.  I am not sold on this guy.  And I am not saying all kickers do not miss. Of course they do.  But when you think about reputations of top kickers, names in the league they've earned it.  It is a combination of consistency and coming through in big games - when it is on the line.  Hopkins is not that guy based on my observation of him.  And that concerns me because we are going to need that this year.  I think the Skins are going to be more in it then out of it this year and so, it may very well come down to a FG.  Gruden talks about competition at every position, but not at this position apparently.

23 hours ago, justice98 said:

We've had a few, we just have a quick trigger.  A lot of decent to really good kickers have passed through here, but we cut 'em before they found their stride. Then they went on to find success somewhere else. David Akers, Shaun Suisham, Nick Novak, Graham Gano, Kai Forbath

Some werent even really bad when they were here, but if they werent perfect, they were gone.  

Yep but they weren't all that good when they were here. I was a huge Cobra Kai guy, I was willing to give up the long FGs for a guy who was nails inside of 45 or so. There is nothing more crushing than ending a 10 play 70 yard drive with a missed 38 yard field goal.  

The Cowboys just cut Dan Bailey.

I want Dan Bailey.

Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey

DAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I want Dan Bailey.

Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey Dan Bailey

DAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Tread lightly my friend.

its not the same Bailey from years ago. 75% kicker last year, missed XPs and no confidence 

I'd be pretty happy if we brought that Norwegian kid in from the Ravens for a look at some point if he doesn't catch on anywhere. He looked good. Or Rose from last season.

I like Hopkins as a dude but he scares the hell out of me at any range. 30-35 yarders should be a gimme and with DHop, they're a probably.

30 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I'd be pretty happy if we brought that Norwegian kid in from the Ravens for a look at some point if he doesn't catch on anywhere. He looked good. Or Rose from last season.

I like Hopkins as a dude but he scares the hell out of me at any range. 30-35 yarders should be a gimme and with DHop, they're a probably.

He looked good, punting too, but he's suddenly on their reserve/non-football injury list after being assaulted

On 9/1/2018 at 4:13 PM, NickyJ said:

I want Dan Bailey.

Who?

11 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Hopkins is one of the best kickers i have ever seen in a skins uni. What are you ****ing at?

This is a reflection of the other kickers the Redskins have had as discussed more to than an endorsement of Hopkins.   Dustin Hopkins is a below average kicker based on most stats.  His 82% FG rate was 20th in the league and of course he has missed several crucial kicks in his short time here.  

Archived