Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

Breaking news from Columbus. Urban Meyer, head coach of OSU, has been put on administrative leave while OSU looks into allegations that he knew about domestic assault from one of his coaches and took no action until the news leaked in 2018. 

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Big10 Power Rankings of most ****ed up people now goes

1. Larry Nassar

2. Larry Sandusky

T3. Jim Harbaugh

T3. Urban Meyer

Oh that's ridiculous, he's on the same list as pedophile?  People dont got no more sense anymore.

The head of the Columbus Police Department, or the Campus Police, maybe could be on that list.  If its proven that the victim tried to file a police report several times, and press charges, and the police failed to do their job.  What the holy **** does Urban Meyer have to do with it.  Its not his job to get involved in domestic abuse cases, if the police are already informed and have chosen for  whatever reason not to file charges.  This is not a Sandusky/Paterno incident in which the knowledge of the police department is questionable, and so ensuring that the police department is aware of the situation becomes an ethical obligation.  In this case, the police were informed -- well-informed.  They had responded to several calls and complaints of domestic abuse. 

They chose, for whatever reason, not to do anyhibng.  Thats where the outrage should be directed, if there is any outrage to be had  This is domestic abuse, a notoriously stick situation, where police can only be as helpful as the victim allows them to be.  If they showed up ,and the wife refuses to press charges, there's not too much they can do about it.  Nor should they.  I understand the notion that victims of domestic abuse need protection, but I seriously dont caree too much for those that refuse to protect themselves, or to accept help.  Before you give me the poor victimhood mentality, understand I am not saying the abuser isnt an asshole.  But if the victim chooses to remain in that situation, well that her choice, as an adult.  These women are not that weak, they are not that stupid.  They understand what they are doing -- in most cases they are making a calculation that whats best for the family (kids included), is to to put up with it a while longer, because the asshole abuser is also the primary breadwinner, and getting him arrested may prevent him from being able to provide for the family, or even make alimony or child-support payments should it come down to it.  It may be wiser to do what Courtney did in 2009, when Urban told her to consider giving The Asshole another chance, otherwise it would be the end of the Asshole's career (i.e. no more money, sweetheart).  Wait a few years, see if he doesnt do it again.  If he does it again and again, by waiting a few years, the savings account and his overall financial worth should have grown to the point that you can leave, take half, and live happliy ever after. 

Which is what she appears to have done.  But the half she took, is apparently not enough.  She wants to be rich.  Everything she is doing points to the idea that she is trying to win a large settlement from the University.  Look who she's going after -- not the police department, but the university.  The employer does not have a legal obligation to to do anything about domestic abuse, but in the realm of America's growingly retarded public opinion, somehow the employer has more responsibility to solve the situation than the ****ing police do.  Knowing Ohio State wants to limit bad publicity, although Urban did nothing wrong in a legal sense (and in fact may have gotten the university sued for wrongful termination if he had fired The Asshole before criminal charges were made), she puts Urban in the impossible situation of telling his wife and giving her the go-ahead to tell Urban, and yet still not file ****ing police charges.  Oh, C. Smith knew exactly what she was doing, thats a smart move, made to get a large settlement from the University.  As for the University, they recognize what C. Smith is doing and are calling her bluff -- theyre gonna fire Urban Meyer for this, pretty much absolving them of the public's wrath, and thats gonna be the end of any idea about C. Smith's lawsuit -- which never really have any legal grounds whatsoever to begin with, it was the threat of a smear campaign that she was angling on.  Get rid of Urban, ,get rid the smear campaign. 

As for those getting on Urban, please tell me what the **** he was supposed to do, even if he did know.  What, fire the guy?  On what grounds, remember the smart **** had declined to press charges.  IF he fires him, he actually opens himself up to wrongful termination lawsuits.  Remeber, the police were aware of the situation, and had chosen not to do anyhting.  How in the holy **** is the head football coach more responsible than the mother****ing police for punishing the Assshole.  But look, its not like Urban liked the fact that the dude was beating his wife, and collecting a paycheck from him.  Urban actually did the right thing, he waited until the The Asshole went too far, and made a mistake that resulted in actual criminal charges for trespassing, and then immediately fired him.  Its not that Urban cares more about trespassing than domestic abuse, its that the trespassing charges were actually filed, giving Urban the excuse he was seeking to fire the guy.

Now Urban, asked about this situation, made a mistake and lied.  He probably shouldnt have lied, ,but we can see why he lied.  Not understanding that he was being thrust into the middle of potential lawsuit, he just wanted the situation to go away, and probably undestimated C. Smith and misunderstood her intentions.  Her intentions, clearly, are to make a big payday off of this, somehow.  So somehow, the university and Urban Meyer have to be made culpable.  If he understood that at the time, he would have realized that lying about his knowledge was the worst thing he could do for himself personally, the best thing he could do for the university, ,and the one thing that C. Smith was not banking on.  Now, U. Meyer is probably going to get fired, for lying.  Remember, the police chose not to do anything, probably because C. SMith asked them not to do anything, but U. Meyer somehow is gonna get eaten alive for doing the exact same thing the police did.  That is the state of our society, and it is a sad, sad, state.  

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I hate OSU.  I hate Urban Meyer.  I dont see why he is being forced out.  He didnt do anything other than not doing anything about it.  It's wrong, but I think the punishment is way too harsh.

He's not in trouble because he knew about it and didn't do/say anything. He's in trouble because he knew about it, didn't do/say anything about it, hid the fact that he knew about it, and lied on multiple occasions - both to the university and the media.  The cover-up is always worse than the crime. And OSU's hands are tied because they fired Tressel and O'Brien. Urban Meyer likely won't coach for OSU again...

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Oh.  I didnt realize he lied about knowing.  I thought he was just silent about it.

He claimed he knew nothing about it, yet text messages between the abused and Meyer's wife indicate not only did he know, he and his wife were active in trying to counsel the couple.

Read the Brett McMurphy piece linked in this article

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-urban-meyer-ohio-state-gators-domestic-violence-20180801-story.html

For years, football fans of the Florida Gators and the Ohio State Buckeyes vehemently accused me of being unfairly critical of Urban Meyer and have continually asked me if I have something personal against one of the greatest coaches in college football history.

My basic reply has always been the same:

“Urban Meyer is Urban Liar. He is the most disingenuous coach I’ve ever covered.”

On Wednesday, college football reporter extraordinaire Brett McMurphy confirmed everything I’ve ever believed about Meyer, who was shockingly placed on paid administrative leave by Ohio State as a result of McMurphy’s reporting.

3 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I hate OSU.  I hate Urban Meyer.  I dont see why he is being forced out.  He didnt do anything other than not doing anything about it.  It's wrong, but I think the punishment is way too harsh.

Even if that was the case, he has a duty to report:

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Sexual-Violence-Prevention.pdf

At the very least, he should never coach in the NCAA again.  

On 8/2/2018 at 12:45 AM, Koala said:

Oh that's ridiculous, he's on the same list as pedophile?  People dont got no more sense anymore.

Now Urban, asked about this situation, made a mistake and lied.  He probably shouldnt have lied, ,but we can see why he lied.  Not understanding that he was being thrust into the middle of potential lawsuit, he just wanted the situation to go away, and probably undestimated C. Smith and misunderstood her intentions.  Her intentions, clearly, are to make a big payday off of this, somehow.  So somehow, the university and Urban Meyer have to be made culpable.  If he understood that at the time, he would have realized that lying about his knowledge was the worst thing he could do for himself personally, the best thing he could do for the university, ,and the one thing that C. Smith was not banking on.  Now, U. Meyer is probably going to get fired, for lying.  Remember, the police chose not to do anything, probably because C. SMith asked them not to do anything, but U. Meyer somehow is gonna get eaten alive for doing the exact same thing the police did.  That is the state of our society, and it is a sad, sad, state.  

Looking for a Payday are you serious? I hope this was posted before you knew the facts if not you should be utterly and thoroughly embarrassed. 

On 8/4/2018 at 6:54 AM, Berggy9598 said:

Looking for a Payday are you serious? I hope this was posted before you knew the facts if not you should be utterly and thoroughly embarrassed. 

Depends on exactly what facts you are referring to.  I was going off of the fact that she had never pressed charges, or sought to resolve the situation through official channels.  If she did, then I stand corrected.  If she didnt, then Ill ask you to give me a reasonable explanation for why someone woudl refuse to file charges, but seek to inform her husband's employer (supposedly for help)? 

On 8/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, Popeman38 said:

He claimed he knew nothing about it, yet text messages between the abused and Meyer's wife indicate not only did he know, he and his wife were active in trying to counsel the couple.

Read the Brett McMurphy piece linked in this article

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-urban-meyer-ohio-state-gators-domestic-violence-20180801-story.html

Urban Meyer is Urban Liar. He is the most disingenuous coach I’ve ever covered.”

Me wonders if he ever covered Mike Shanahan...?

2 hours ago, Koala said:

Depends on exactly what facts you are referring to.  I was going off of the fact that she had never pressed charges, or sought to resolve the situation through official channels.  If she did, then I stand corrected.  If she didnt, then Ill ask you to give me a reasonable explanation for why someone woudl refuse to file charges, but seek to inform her husband's employer (supposedly for help)? 

Read this article from CNN:  https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/us/urban-meyer-ohio-state-university-assistant-zach-smith-abuse/index.html

The incident in 2009, he came home drunk with a female co-worker and his wife (then pregnant) drove her home and then he got violent with her and threw her against the wall.  She did have charges filed and after advice from his family member and an attorney that represented members of the team, dropped the charges as she believed that he would never do it again.

In 2012, she stated that the pressure of his job led him to a toxic lifestyle where he became abusive.  She then legally separated from him in 2015 hoping it would end the abuse, it didn't.  He came to her home wanting to take his son on a visitation day that was not his, when told no, shoved her into the wall with his hands around her neck and their daughter clinging to her leg.  Then took his son.  She called the police and they never did anything.

She also didn't go to his employer, she went to her friend, Meyer's wife who told her she would tell her husband.  Yes, he picks the coaching staff, but the employer is OSU.  By regulations/rules he was required to report the 2015 allegations if he had knowledge about them, which he has denied.  Which conflicts with the Murphy report where supposedly another staffer had exchanged texts with Smiths ex-wife stating that Urban talked to Smith about the allegations and he denied them to Urban.  

Bottom line, this does not appear to be the case of some money grab or vendetta against Urban Meyer.  If it is proved that he lied about knowledge of the 2015 incident, then he is in violation of a clause in his contract and can be rightfully terminated.  

Edit:  I was behind on current events.  Looks like he already admitted he knew about the 2015 incident and Smith stated in an interview that Meyers addressed it with him back in 2015.  So, yeah he is probably fired due to the clause in his contract extension that he had to report any incidents during his time there that involved players/coaches/staff.  

Archived