• Blog Entries

    • By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
         1
      Cowboys versus Redskins - now that just sounds correct.
       
      Hello friends, JimmiJo here along with THE Spaceman Spiff. Space is already on the sidelines, yucking it up with the important people. Me? I'm thinking how grateful I am for the 3-car accident on the beltway...
       
      If you cannot get up for this game, there isn't enough viagra made on earth for you. After all; the Redskins are hosting their eternal rival, the Cowboys. Winner will be sitting on top of the division, with a truckload of bragging rights.
       
      What's not to like?
       
      Well, for starters, everybody and their mom is inactive. Chris Thompson Jamison Crowder, Paul Richardson, Quinton Dunbar; all inactive. What a time to have have your top two receivers out. The chatter here in the press box is Washington should do what they can to bring in receivers - to include making a trade with the Raiders for Amari Cooper.
       
      Then there's the question of which Redskins show up? They could come out and light Dallas up. Or, post an anemic effort to suffer another embarrassing lost. Neither would surprise me.
       
      One this is for sure, the distribution in fans is something like 55-45 Redskins. Already an embarrassment. Until you consider this team has done much to earn the lack of support.
       
      Still, you have offer the finger in the middle to those fans who sold their tickets to Dallas fans. What were you thinking?
       
      Back shortly...
       
      Inactives
       
      The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Paul Richardson Jr.
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 25 RB Chris Thompson
      o   No. 30 S Troy Apke
      o   No. 55 C Casey Dunn
      o   No. 74 T Geron Christian Sr.
      o   No. 80 WR Jamison Crowder
       
      The team held a touching tribute to my friend Rich Tandler, who passed this week.
       
      Follow along in-game on Twitter @Skinscast
       
      Half
       
      Did you hear the one about the team that got chance after chance but couldn't score more than a touchdown?
      That's right; they are tied at 7 at the half and completely anemic in the second half.
       
      "Against the run of play" is a term you hear in soccer all the time. It is applicable here. It means the better team is either tied or trailing.
       
      Whoever said football was fair?
       
      Washington needs to find a way to get hot in the second half. The Dallas Cowboys are infinitely beatable today.
       
      JimmiJo
       
      How do you like them apples?
      The Washington Redskins sent them home happy today. Along the way my ulcer started bleeding, I threw up twice, and peed the chair I was sitting in.
      Up by 10 at the two-minute warning, I did not expect to be hoping for a missed field goal to avoid overtime. But there I was, crossing fingers and toes and noticibly relieved when the ball bounced off the upright to seal the win.
      A lot of things had to go right for the Dallas Cowboys to even have a shot at the end. A lot more things went right for Washington.
      The Redskins held Ezekiel Elliot to just 33-yards rushing. They forced two fumbles by Dak Prescott, one of which went for a Redskins' touchdown, and sacked him a total of four times. 
      Ryan Kerrigan had his best day of the season, sacking Prescott twice, one of which caused the fumble for the score. Preston Smith scored the touchdown off of the fumble. Jonathan Allen and and Ryan Anderson each logged a sack. DJ Swearinger hit Prescott square on the ball to cause the other fumble by Prescott.
      And then there was the offense.
      Adrian Peterson defies time and physics in what he can still do on the football field. His ability to change directions instantly, the speed he still posesses, and his ability to play through multiple injuries is astonishing. He ran for 99-yards on 24-carries with a 4.1 yard per carry average. 
      Kapri Bibbs, the other back; added just 13-yards rushing. But as a receiver he caught 4 passes for 43-yards and the first touchdown of the game.
      Josh Doctson reeled in 3-receptions for 43-yards. Jordan Reed added 43-yards on his two catches. Maurice Harris logged 2 for 22-yards.
      Alex Smith had a adequate outting. He went 14/25 for 178 yards and a touchdown for a quarterback rating of 98.1. He was sacked once.
      His obvious miss of Jeremy Sprinkle running free in the end zone is almost cause for termination. Connect on that throw and the game is much more comfortable at the end. 
      The real stars of this show were the fat guys in the trenches. The offensive line that opened highway lane-wide holes for Peterson to run through, and the defensive line that wreaked such havok all game. 
       
      But we have to thank Dallas as well for things like an illegal snap to back the field goal unit up at the end. The holding call that negated the big gain one play before the sack/fumble/score was huge. They seemed to find ways to beat themselves.
       
      Despite the above, Dallas was right there until last miss that struck the goalpost. The win was entirely too close for comfort.
       
      But now that's it's over, I sure am enjoying the win.
       
      The Redskins sit alone at the top of the division after 6-weeks. They travel to New York next week where they can continue to help themselves with a win.
       
      But just because New York currently resides in the toilet does not mean they intend to roll-over and play dead. Washington will have their hands full if they don't get more production out of the offense.
       
      That's next week though. For now, I am intent on  enjoying an excellent victory. Against the Dallas Cowboys.
       
      What's not to like?
       
      Talk soon!
Sacks 'n' Stuff

The "Remember That Time..." Thread

Recommended Posts

On 7/8/2018 at 8:14 AM, RandyHolt said:

Remember that time @Dancing Bear Ron McDole blocked a late FG to beat the previously undefeated Vikings at RFK? My first game.

Wow that was many moons ago. But I remember.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the above highlights I noticed the news feed across the bottom of the Westbrook touchdown in ot and forgot about the stealth bomber crash in Middle River 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2018 at 11:37 PM, Skins8989 said:

Anybody remember the 1996 Redskins? 7-1...and then....yikes.

All but had bought my playoff tickets. Even at 8-5, I thought there was a chance to win the division. I would have never believed that we'd go 1-2 with the one win being over the Cowboys.  Looked like my grandmother could keep them from scoring 20+ points! The Cardinals? Losing to them again did not seem possible.

 

----

Remember when losing was actually more painful than winning was euphoric?

Edited by Darth Tater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember in 1973 game against the S.D. Chargers and poor Johnny Unitas got the beatdown of his life against the Skins Dee. I think Deacon Jones kicked a field goal for us that day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deacon Jones extra point was vs. Bears in 1974.  I was at that game.

My dad took us four kids to the game and we were trying to buy tickets outside of RFK.

Some guy walked up and GAVE US two tickets in the mezzanine.

I still try to pay that forward whenever I have extra tickets to a game.

BTW, that turned out to be Sonny's last game at RFK.

 

Bears 1974

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197412150was.htm

 

Chargers 1973

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197309160was.htm

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 11:37 PM, Skins8989 said:

Anybody remember the 1996 Redskins? 7-1...and then....yikes.

 

I don't think we explored this enough...it's fascinating really. Before diving into the actual season itself, we have to remember what our world looked like (football-wise) in 1996....

 

We were only 5 years removed from greatness and had hired an offensive genius to be our head coach who was entering his 3rd season. No one was jaded enough to think that the Washington Redskins, 5-time NFL Champion and one of the NFL's crown jewels, wouldn't properly rebuild with youth and rise from the ashes of their 1980s golden age. This felt like it might be a year early, but given the upward progression in Turner's first and second seasons (3-13 to 6-10), it wasn't crazy to believe that maybe we'd secure a playoff spot...basically, we were executing a rebuild the right way with an up-and-coming coach and a young roster. 

 

We lost our opener to an Eagle team that was supposed to be better than us. They weren't great, but certainly outplayed us despite the close score. So, after week 1, we didn't really know much. Then, through some fortunate scheduling and just enough good play, we ripped off 7 straight wins against some average-to-bad teams (we won 3 games in the span of like 6 weeks against the ****ty New York teams). We did have a couple nice wins vs. two pretty good AFC East teams (New England and Indy) to close out the streak. 

 

So - we were sitting there at 7-1 but not fully confident that we had arrived. It definitely felt like a classic case of a pretty good, young team who was contending a year before they should be. The next two weeks were rough...the Bills destroyed us in a game that could have been 855-4 from what I remember and we blew a 14-point lead to Boomer and the Cardinals at home. Still though, playing some awful defensive football we were 7-3 and heading to Philly in what I thought was the game of the season...and we won! I remember driving back to college with my roommate and making the guy listen for the entire trip. I couldn't wait to watch NFL Prime Time that night. We were 8-3 and essentially a lock to make the playoffs now. Despite SF and Dallas coming up, we also had another game with Arizona and a layup against TB. Welp...we blew a chance to beat the 49ers in a pretty solid game and then teams realized they could run the ball down our throats. Dallas and TB both racked up over 200 rushing yards in pretty easy wins. Then there was the game in Arizona where we battled back from an 11-point deficit to eventually take a 9-point lead before blowing that lead and losing late on a Butler FG. I think this was the game that we had our late go-ahead FG nullified by a holding penalty and then missed the next attempt - the definition of Norvitis. That loss eliminated us from the playoffs and we followed it up with the dismantling of the Cowboy backups in the RFK finale. 

 

It was tough to process the season as a whole and I did my share of mental gymnastics despite the looming bad feeling. On paper, we had improved another 3 games from the previous season so the progression still looked very good. Going from 3-13 to 9-7 over a three-year stretch seemed to be the formula back then and NFL teams rebuilt successfully that way all the time. I was hopeful going into 1997 thinking we could improve another game or two and really challenge Dallas for the division in the late-1990s. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Way kick ass to see the older generation reminice on the early years..

 

Brother, I could write a book about most of the seasons I watched growing up. I remember so many odd details. It wouldn't be a good book and probably only I would enjoy it, but I could write it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

Brother, I could write a book about most of the seasons I watched growing up. I remember so many odd details. It wouldn't be a good book and probably only I would enjoy it, but I could write it. 

Odd details makes for an awesome book!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, these 1975 memories. Weeks 7-11 included a thrilling OT win at RFK over Dallas, the Mel Gray screw job, an OT loss at home to the Raiders, and the one-point win against the previously undefeated Vikings. But missed the playoffs at 8-6. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

 I was hopeful going into 1997 thinking we could improve another game or two and really challenge Dallas for the division in the late-1990s. 

Agreed but then that horrible 0-7 start was just shocking couldn't believe it was happening week after week 

The first win was against the Giants 

In what seemed at the time took forever to achieve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that time we actually had redskins football news? Or ANY football news for that matter? These two weeks can’t go by fast enough. **** the offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 11:01 PM, c slag said:

I remember that was the final season at RFK stadium and the awesome halftime of the last game vs.Dallas when all the past players took laps around in golf carts

I remember hanging out in the parking lot before the game and meeting Joe Jacoby.  He was just massive in person.  Riding home on the metro after the game, and everyone had pieces of sod from the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, c slag said:

Agreed but then that horrible 0-7 start was just shocking couldn't believe it was happening week after week 

The first win was against the Giants 

In what seemed at the time took forever to achieve 

 

That was 1998...

 

In 1997 we actually started fine...it seemed we kept the Giants are arm's length right around .500. We ultimately tied them in a late-season, must-win game at home which kept them (I think) 2 games ahead of us. The highlight (to me) of that season was beating the Cowboys at home on MNF early in the year. I think that made us 4-2 and it seemed that we might do something that season.

 

1997 wasn't the crater that 1998 was, but combined with the second half collapse in 1996, I think many of us really started wondering if Norv could ever get us over the hump. He and Casserly got us back to an average team, but could we bust through the ceiling and start winning again?

 

In many ways, those seasons mirror 2015-2017. Are we going to be able to take the next step with a consensus offensive genius as our head coach??

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Remember that time we actually had redskins football news? Or ANY football news for that matter? These two weeks can’t go by fast enough. **** the offseason. 

There's tons of news goin on..LeSean McCoy Kellen Winslow Steve keim the Bucs qb Ravens rookies report 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

There's tons of news goin on..LeSean McCoy Kellen Winslow Steve keim the Bucs qb Ravens rookies report 

The only “news” that occurs in July is legal troubles for players/coaches/gms. I want ACTUAL news!! The ravens rookies reporting is a start i guess. Cause it’s at least football, but man I’m really needing training camp to be in full swing and fast 😭😭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 12:37 PM, c slag said:

Remember that time the Redskins played the Buckineers twice in one season? I went to the one at RFK and can remember they lost but I think they dropped the one in Tampa also 

 

I was at the game in Tampa at the old sombrero, my first ever Skins game. I believe it was 1994. I think they played each other twice in 3 weeks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 10:04 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

I don't think we explored this enough...it's fascinating really. Before diving into the actual season itself, we have to remember what our world looked like (football-wise) in 1996....

 

We were only 5 years removed from greatness and had hired an offensive genius to be our head coach who was entering his 3rd season. No one was jaded enough to think that the Washington Redskins, 5-time NFL Champion and one of the NFL's crown jewels, wouldn't properly rebuild with youth and rise from the ashes of their 1980s golden age. This felt like it might be a year early, but given the upward progression in Turner's first and second seasons (3-13 to 6-10), it wasn't crazy to believe that maybe we'd secure a playoff spot...basically, we were executing a rebuild the right way with an up-and-coming coach and a young roster. 

 

We lost our opener to an Eagle team that was supposed to be better than us. They weren't great, but certainly outplayed us despite the close score. So, after week 1, we didn't really know much. Then, through some fortunate scheduling and just enough good play, we ripped off 7 straight wins against some average-to-bad teams (we won 3 games in the span of like 6 weeks against the ****ty New York teams). We did have a couple nice wins vs. two pretty good AFC East teams (New England and Indy) to close out the streak. 

 

So - we were sitting there at 7-1 but not fully confident that we had arrived. It definitely felt like a classic case of a pretty good, young team who was contending a year before they should be. The next two weeks were rough...the Bills destroyed us in a game that could have been 855-4 from what I remember and we blew a 14-point lead to Boomer and the Cardinals at home. Still though, playing some awful defensive football we were 7-3 and heading to Philly in what I thought was the game of the season...and we won! I remember driving back to college with my roommate and making the guy listen for the entire trip. I couldn't wait to watch NFL Prime Time that night. We were 8-3 and essentially a lock to make the playoffs now. Despite SF and Dallas coming up, we also had another game with Arizona and a layup against TB. Welp...we blew a chance to beat the 49ers in a pretty solid game and then teams realized they could run the ball down our throats. Dallas and TB both racked up over 200 rushing yards in pretty easy wins. Then there was the game in Arizona where we battled back from an 11-point deficit to eventually take a 9-point lead before blowing that lead and losing late on a Butler FG. I think this was the game that we had our late go-ahead FG nullified by a holding penalty and then missed the next attempt - the definition of Norvitis. That loss eliminated us from the playoffs and we followed it up with the dismantling of the Cowboy backups in the RFK finale. 

 

It was tough to process the season as a whole and I did my share of mental gymnastics despite the looming bad feeling. On paper, we had improved another 3 games from the previous season so the progression still looked very good. Going from 3-13 to 9-7 over a three-year stretch seemed to be the formula back then and NFL teams rebuilt successfully that way all the time. I was hopeful going into 1997 thinking we could improve another game or two and really challenge Dallas for the division in the late-1990s. 

I thought at 7-1 we had arrived.  The back half of our schedule was generally considered much easier than the front half of our schedule.  We had 3 games against two opponents that were not very good and the we disagree about the first Eagles game. In 1994, we plain sucked. In 1995, we were competitive but were still finding ways to come out on the short-end. Now, it looked like a WC was a sure thing and the division was quite possible.The Norv tenure at that point reminded me of Johnson's tenure. Suck the first year, a competitive loser the next, a playoff season the third and then go on to be dominate. Offensively, Terry Allen was tearing it up and we also had a rookie RB that was looking good while our QB looked like he'd become the measuring stick of late round flyers at QB for the future. The offensive line included the best guard of the 1990s. On the defensive side, Sean Gilbert was young and looked good, God had not yet talked to him. Ken Harvey and the ageless one were kicking ass. Rich Owens was looking like Dexter Manley 2.0, and Tom Carter was finally looking like he might live up to his draft status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that time....

 

The Redskins finished 10-6 three times in eleven years and failed to make the playoffs?  '79,'85,'89

 

Finished 3rd in the NFC East those three seasons.

 

I like to call those years "The Lost 10-6 Seasons"

 

'79 has been covered ad nauseum in these types of threads.  I still despise the Cards for lying down against the Bears that last Sunday.

 

'85 and '89 were weird in that both seasons the Skins closed strong winning 6 of 7 and 5 of 6 respectively to close the year and it still wasn't enough for a playoff berth.

 

Can you imagine the outrage on this board if the Skins went 10-6 and didn't make the playoffs?  Good thing the internet wasn't around in the 80's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@LightningBuggs

 

1985 was pretty much the only season I've seen a team do something akin to a rebuild in the middle of a season! In 1989, we probably should have started out 2-0 and not 0-2. Against the Giants, Riggs fumbling as got into scoring position and a missed Chip Lohmiller field goal,  I remember when Monte Coleman returned a 24 yard interception for a TD should have given us another come from behind victory, 6 turnovers against the Eagles the next week, including another Riggs fumble!

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

@LightningBuggs

 

1985 was pretty much the only season I've seen a team do something akin to a rebuild in the middle of a season!

 

Boy you're right...going into it I think we were relying on Theismann, Riggins, and Monk and by December we had discovered Schroeder, Rogers, and Clark (though Monk was still awesome if I recall). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monk was still in his prime.  Clark was cool mostly because Muhammad proved a fail. Lots of our 1981-1984 mainstays were gone or were all but done.  So, I guess it is kind of a when was the last time you KNEW the Redskins would be good in spite of the fact that the roster was so full of question marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.