Sign in to follow this  
China

Inverse: CDC Says Sex and Drugs Less Popular With Teens, but New Risks Are Emerging

CDC Says Sex and Drugs Less Popular With Teens, but New Risks Are Emerging

ewer high school students are having sex and using drugs these days, but there are other risky behaviors waiting in the wings, warns a new CDC report released Thursday.

Each year since 1991, the CDC sends out the National Youth Risk Behavior Survey to public, private, and religious schools throughout the country to find the answers to one question: What are the most dangerous risk factors facing kids today? The CDC uses these historical surveys to determine long-term trends. In this report, they compared data between 1991 and 2017, reporting a 20 percent decrease in the number of students who drank alcohol, a 15 percent decrease in the number of students who’ve had sex, and a six percent decrease in the use of hallucinogenic drugs.

While this might seem to signal that life in high school is mellowing out, the researchers warn there are other risk factors to consider.

They pointed out long-term “linear increases” in factors like obesity (up 4.2 percent) and not having eaten vegetables (up three percent), as well as signs that the country-wide mental health crisis is taking its toll on high school students. There’s been a long-term linear increase since 1991 in the number of students feeling “sad or hopeless,” and since 2007, there have been signs of a resurgence in suicide ideation.

“Despite the linear decreases in the prevalence of having seriously considered suicide and having made a suicide plan, based on significant quadratic trends, having seriously considered attempting suicide increased since 2007 and having made a suicide plan increased since 2009,” the CDC team summarized in their report.

last-week-the-cdc-released-another-repor

Click on the link for the full article

So the number of kids who are drinking, doing drugs, and having sex has gone down but the number of kids who are unhappy has gone up. Hmm...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Isolationism.

I think kids are TOO connected.  They view their social lives through the prism of the internet and it makes reality jaded.  They see only the very best of their peers and they have more peers than ever who are doing better than ever... or so it seems.  Add to that the fact that social media is an impersonal portal, leaving young people to say and claim the most heinous of things about each other.

Reality is these kids are becoming more isolated with less face to face relationships that leave them sad about their own existence.  They don’t live in them moment, present to their surroundings.

Its worse than drugs or missed relationships in my opinion.  These kids are lonely and they don’t even realize it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

You know it's kind of weird how social media itself has sort of changed computers from a place for society's castoffs to find solace in, to now being one huge popularity contest and vanity showcase.

When I was a teenager I had a small circle of friends, but I also had just gotten the internet and could find myself getting lost on there for hours at a time.  It was new, it was so primitive compared to now, but it was still a crazy new world of unlimited information and potential.  I don't remember anything about it making me isolated or sad, but there was no social media outside of message boards and chat rooms.

I think websites like facebook & instagram in a way have brought a lot of elements from the "mainstream" teenage experience onto the computer.  Hell, remember when computers were pretty much for the nerds?

It's a wild world out there. 

• Like 1

In high school and college, I used to chat with girls on AIM all night and download illegal music from Napster (one song every 20-30 mins) on my 28.8 or 56k modem.

We have come a LOOOONG way from that type of thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

In high school and college, I used to chat with girls on AIM all night and download illegal music from Napster (one song every 20-30 mins) on my 28.8 or 56k modem.

We have come a LOOOONG way from that type of thing.

Being even older, when I was in college we talked to girls face to face and listened to music on tapes or CDs all night.  No internet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, China said:

Being even older, when I was in college we talked to girls face to face and listened to music on tapes or CDs all night.  No internet.

Cool story Grampa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

Cool story Grampa.

Not Grampa, but old enough that my son will start college this year.

THE BELOIT COLLEGE MINDSET LIST FOR THE CLASS OF 2021

1. Their classmates could include Eddie Murphy’s Zola and Mel Gibson’s Tommy, or Jackie Evancho singing down the hall.
  2. They are the last class to be born in the 1900s, the last of the Millennials --  enter next year, on cue, Generation Z! 
  3. They are the first generation for whom a “phone” has been primarily a video game, direction finder, electronic telegraph, and research library.
  4. Electronic signatures have always been as legally binding as the pen-on-paper kind.
  5. In college, they will often think of themselves as consumers, who’ve borrowed a lot of money to be there.
  6. eHarmony has always offered an algorithm for happiness.
  7. Peanuts comic strips have always been repeats.
  8. They have largely grown up in a floppy-less world.
  9. They have never found Mutual Broadcasting or Westinghouse Group W on the radio dial, but XM has always offered radio programming for a fee.
  10. There have always been emojis to cheer us up.
  11. The Panama Canal has always belonged to Panama and Macau has been part of China.
  12. It is doubtful that they have ever used or heard the high-pitched whine of a dial-up modem.
  13. They were never able to use a Montgomery Ward catalogue as a booster seat.
  14. Donald Trump has always been a political figure, as a Democrat, an Independent, and a Republican.
  15. Zappos has always meant shoes on the Internet.
  16. They are the first generation to grow up with Watson outperforming Sherlock.                                                                                
  17. Amazon has always invited consumers to follow the arrow from A to Z.
  18. Their folks have always been able to get reward points by paying their taxes to the IRS on plastic.
  19. In their lifetimes, Blackberry has gone from being a wild fruit to being a communications device to becoming a wild fruit again. 
  20. They have always been searching for Pokemon.
  21. They may choose to submit a listicle in lieu of an admissions essay.    
  22. Dora the Explorer and her pet monkey Boots helped to set them on the course of discovery.
  23. The seat of Germany’s government has always been back in Berlin.
  24. Jet Blue has always been a favorite travel option but the Concorde has been permanently grounded.
  25. By the time they entered school, laptops were outselling desktops.
  26. There has never been a Coliseum in New York, but there has always been a London Eye on the Thames.
  27. Once on campus, they will find that college syllabi, replete with policies about disability, non-discrimination, and learning goals, might be longer than some of their reading assignments.
  28. As toddlers they may have dined on some of that canned food hoarded in case of Y2K.
  29. An ophthalmologist named Bashar al-Assad has always provided vision for the Syrian military.
  30. Whatever the subject, there’s always been a blog for it.                         
  31. U.S. Supreme Court decisions have always been available at its website.
  32. Globalization has always been both a powerful fact of life and a source of incessant protest.
  33. One out of four major league baseball players has always been born outside the United States.
  34. Carl Sagan has always had his own crater on Mars. 
  35. A movie scene longer than two minutes has always seemed like an eternity. 
  36. The Latin music industry has always had its own Grammy Awards.
  37. Ketchup has always come in green.
  38. They have only seen a Checker Cab in a museum.
  39. Men have always shared a romantic smooch on television.
  40. They never got to see Jimmy Kimmel and Ben Stein co-host a quiz show or Dennis Miller provide commentary for the NFL.
  41. As toddlers, they may have taught their grandparents how to Skype.
  42. The image of Sacagawea has always adorned the dollar coin, if you can find one.
  43. Having another child has always been a way to secure matching tissue to heal an older sibling.
  44. There have always been Latino players on the ice in the NHL.
  45. Napster has always been evolving.
  46. Nolan Ryan has always worn his Texas Rangers cap in Cooperstown, while Steve Young and Dan Marino have always been watching football from the sidelines.
  47. The BBC has always had a network in the U.S. where they speak American.
  48. There has never been a sanctioned Texas A&M bonfire.
  49. There has always been a Monster in their corner when looking for a job.
  50. Wikipedia has steadily gained acceptance by their teachers.
  51. Justin Timberlake has always been a solo act.
  52. U.S. professional baseball teams have always played in Cuba.
  53. Barbie and American Girl have always been sisters at Mattel.
  54. Family Guy is the successor to the Father Knows Best they never knew.
  55. Motorola and Nokia have always been incredibly shrinking giants.
  56. Melissa has always been too nice a name to be attached to a computer macro virus.
  57. The Mars Polar Lander has always been lost.
  58. Women have always scaled both sides of Everest and rowed across the Atlantic.
  59. Bill Clinton has always been Hillary Clinton’s aging husband.
  60. Paleontologists have always imagined dinosaurs with colorful plumage.
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, China said:

Vinyl and reel to reel, eight track was the bomb

we even got up to change channels on the tv...choosing between all four of them :silly:

7 hours ago, China said:

Ok sorry, I’ll get off your lawn now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

So the number of kids who are drinking, doing drugs, and having sex has gone down but the number of kids who are unhappy has gone up. Hmm...

brb starting a new charity, Pot for Tots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Springfield said:

Isolationism.

I think kids are TOO connected.  They view their social lives through the prism of the internet and it makes reality jaded.  They see only the very best of their peers and they have more peers than ever who are doing better than ever... or so it seems.  Add to that the fact that social media is an impersonal portal, leaving young people to say and claim the most heinous of things about each other.

Reality is these kids are becoming more isolated with less face to face relationships that leave them sad about their own existence.  They don’t live in them moment, present to their surroundings.

Its worse than drugs or missed relationships in my opinion.  These kids are lonely and they don’t even realize it.

This right here. 

Jokes aside, I think this new dynamic is concerning. These kids believe that they have enough friends and are social enough when they probably aren't spending nearly enough real time with friends or people they're interested in. I'm not trying to say that unprotected sex and drug use is definitely better...but I think real human contact and shared experiences are vital, especially when you're as insecure as teenagers can be. 

When you combine that personal deficiency with the perception of what everyone else is doing (as you mentioned) via social media, it probably makes each kid think that he or she is the only one not having a great time. 

• Sad 1

Kids are lonely on social media combined with being young when 9/11 happened, the global economy collapsed, and Trump.

I get it, this is a awful time to be a kid. That’s why they are saying “xanny take me away.”

9 hours ago, China said:

I could've easily afforded a CD player, but resisted. It was forced upon me...boyfriend at the time gave me his extra one. 

Yep, we met up. Talked over tables, either food or pool cues were involved. 

Different era indeed. 

15 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Kids are lonely on social media combined with being young when 9/11 happened, the global economy collapsed, and Trump.

I get it, this is a awful time to be a kid. That’s why they are saying “xanny take me away.”

Bath salts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yjGPgs0_S0

16 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I dont think thats true.  Kids have it made today in so many respects?  Do you have children?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zoony said:

I dont think thats true.  Kids have it made today in so many respects?  Do you have children?

They have it made when you talk about the material items.

But this report is showing that something is wrong.

No, just nieces and nephews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Growing up in the 70s as a kid, we had a black and white TV in our house with 8 channels (no cable) and an AM/FM radio. That was it. No computer/video game system, no cable TV, no internet. What did we do for entertainment back then? We used to READ.

Yeah, it sucked.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

But this report is showing that something is wrong.

We are always looking for something wrong.  Many arent happy unless something is wrong... its no wonder kids have a complex

Its is an awesome time to be a child, certainly better than any time in this nations history, and by extension, world history.  Thats out biggest problem as a society, that we just dont want to see this

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Growing up in the 70s as a kid, we had a black and white TV in our house with 8 channels (no cable) and an AM/FM radio. That was it. No computer/video game system, no cable TV, no internet. What did we do for entertainment back then? We used to READ.

Yeah, it sucked.  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :)

Well, a few kids read.  Some played lawn darts, others road their motorized scooters without helmets, and a lot of others used drugs and ****ed off all the time.  And a large percentage of minorities, homosexuals, and disabled were completely marginalized for their entire childhood.   Lets not pretend the 1970s were a decade filled with child intellectuals.  It was a decade of kids being largeley neglected and huge societal problems thrust upon them that they were ill prepared to deal with.  These are largely the adults that put trump in office.  Confused and angry

Good music and cool cars tho

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Cool story Grampa.

That was just yesterday to us BTW. The young just don't realize how fast time flies. You will get there though and will be waking up tomorrow in your 50s, 60s or 70's and wonder what the hell happened?  I was just 20 yesterday.

47 minutes ago, nonniey said:

That was just yesterday to us BTW. The young just don't realize how fast time flies. You will get there though and will be waking up tomorrow in your 50s, 60s or 70's and wonder what the hell happened?  I was just 20 yesterday.

The body ages faster than the mind.

6 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Growing up in the 70s as a kid, we had a black and white TV in our house with 8 channels (no cable) and an AM/FM radio. That was it. No computer/video game system, no cable TV, no internet. What did we do for entertainment back then? We used to READ.

JESUS CHRIST!!!

21 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Fat and unhappy

Dating websites were needed because of the ineptitude of socialization of the some of the folks who grew up in the seventies. Perhaps many of the folks. Today it is worse. I know a 23 year old that finds her dates online...because socially...she's completely lost with most people. 

I am considered an introvert by studies, but I adapted socially because of conditions ( playing sports, outgoing family,etc. ) 

I am awkward for a brief moment with folks. Then the ice breaks...I make jokes, meet folks, go out, etc.. 

Suicide numbers have gone up. Especially among men. 

Sad for both generations to me.