• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage

And we are back!

Hello boys and girls, welcome to another year of Washington Redskins football, home-team style.

My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by my shuttered compatriot, Spaceman Spiff. Together we bring you the sights and sounds of Redskins preseason football. Tonight represents the first home installment for Washington. I will be looking for fan enthusiasm, tho it is difficult to gauge interest-level from the preseason. These are the games that the season ticket holders give to their siblings and coworkers.

Tonight may be different as we expect Alex Smith to play. The pundits keep telling me he is Kirk Cousins only better. That will be awesome if so. 

We are quickly filling the list with season-ending injuries, with Washington losing three projected contributors in the first week of preseason. This wince-producing stat is made worse when we consider the projected contributions of Derrius Guice, now lost for the year.

All he was brought here to do was resurrect the Redskins' rushing game. 

This for me is the biggest area of concern for me. The running game has got to get better for this team to have any reason success this year.

Stand by for Inactives...

An hour later I remember they don't do inactives in the preseason. Hey, it's preseason for us too!

Not much to report. Very sparse crowd so far. But given it is a work-night and rush hour is just wrapping up on the beltway I am not surprised we are not overflowing with people yet.

The Redskins appear to be wearing burgundy tops and mustard bottoms, for those keeping score at home. The Jets meanwhile, are sporting white tops and green bottoms.

So far just the kickers and long snappers are warming up from both teams. 

The hot, sunny day is giving way to a warm, breezy evening. Should be fairly pleasant viewing conditions for those coming out.

Kickoff

It is about that time. Follow along in-game on Twitter @Skinscast

Half

Alex Smith looked sharp, going 4-6 for 48-yards and a 91 passer-rating. 

But that's not the story of this game.

The story is the injuries that continue to mount to running backs. Samaje Perine had an impressive 30-yard run. Then limped off to be evaluated for an ankle sprain. Next was Byron Marshall.  A lower leg injury they say.

The Redskins are suffering the worst run of injuries this early maybe ever. 

JimmiJo

I am not sure how much we learned tonight. I take that back.

Kevin Hogan, whom I had taken to calling ‘Nogan,’ somehow produced a lovely comeback victory with no time to spare. Way to send them home happy.

Beyond the excitement at the end I am not sure we learned much.

Alex Smith is exactly who we thought he was. Smith went 4-for-6 for 48-yards and a passer rating of 91. There was some excitement on his first call from scrimmage, when Smith play actioned the handoff and kept the ball on a bootleg, he turned to setup to hit Paul Richardson and instead received a face-full of Jets’ linebacker Jordan Jenkins. Smith completed the pass to Richardson and Jenkins was handed a 15- roughing call.

The offense are exactly who we thought they are. Feckless in the redzone; unable to produce anything but field goals. Even when the stars did align, with Colt McCoy connecting Cam Sims, area spectacular touchdown catch; cruel fate intervened with a chickenscratch procedure call.

The injuries are exactly what we feared they could be. Why is it every running back who goes for 30-yards on a single play comes up limping? Samaje Perine ran for 30-yards on his one carry on the night.

The next time he was seen was on the way to the locker room to have an ankle looked at.

Then there was Byron Marshall. He barely got into the game before coming out with a leg injury.

After the first few drives Washington did very little offensively until they had to at the very end.

And as little as this preseason game meant, it was nice to see the valiant stop at the goal line. It was even nicer to see Mr. Hogan lead the team down the field and to victory.

Oh yea, we learned one more thing - Dustin Hopkins can kick field goals.

Hail!
TK

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE NEW FAN-FOCUSED SEASON TICKET ENHANCEMENTS

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

June 13, 2018

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE NEW FAN-FOCUSED SEASON TICKET ENHANCEMENTS

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that Season Ticket Members will now receive preferred concession pricing, have access to new entertainment areas at FedExField and enjoy significant digital upgrades designed to enhance their experience. Additionally, fans will no longer be required to join the Redskins Wait List before purchasing a Season Ticket. Season Ticket Memberships will be immediately available to all Redskins fans starting Wednesday, June 13 at 11 a.m. 

“Our goal is to serve our fans in a first-class manner each and every day by putting them at the center of every decision we make. It begins with listening to them and continually cultivating and improving their experiences throughout the year,” said Brian Lafemina, President of Business Operations and Chief Operating Officer. “We’re excited to provide all Redskins fans with immediate access to Season Tickets, which will help us create the best home field advantage in the NFL.” 

Among the new enhancements for Season Ticket Members in 2018 is preferred concession pricing for all food items throughout the stadium on gameday, allowing Members to pay up to 50 percent less for certain items than non-Members. Other benefits include interest-free payment plans, complimentary NFL RedZone and Game Pass, and exclusive access to offseason events such as Member Happy Hours and the annual Fan Forum. Members can also receive free membership in the Redskins Rewards program by downloading the Redskins app or by visiting www.RedskinsRewards.com. The Rewards program provides access to unforgettable gameday experiences, autographed merchandise and more.

“We’re taking a fresh look at every area of the business, starting with the experience we provide for our fans and Season Ticket Members,” Lafemina said. “Our most loyal fans have told us that they value affordability, entertainment and recognition. Our focus moving forward is on creating incredible and unprecedented value for our Season Ticket Members on gameday and all year long.”

This season, available to all fans at FedExField will be the new Fan Pavilion in the West End Zone featuring a renovated bar area, prime sightlines to the field and multiple HD screens showing games from around the NFL on gameday. Digital ticketing and mobile pay will also be a significant upgrade to the gameday experience from previous years in an effort to make entry to FedExField and payments around the stadium more seamless. Fans will only need their mobile device in order to enter the stadium, transfer or sell their tickets and to activate the Member preferred pricing at all concession stands.

Season Ticket Memberships can be secured at www.Redskins.com/tickets or by calling a representative at 301-276-6800. Memberships start at $759 including tax and offer fans the best available seat locations at the lowest available price, directly from the Redskins.

-REDSKINS-

• Like 1

Here is the first few of many questions.  If you opted to use the 2017 ticket system (not digital tickets), how do you get concession discounts?  Is it correct to assume that those with digital tickets will have to have some sort of scan of their phone ever time they go to the concessions?  

-ct

Posted (edited)

Met Brian at the Season Ticket Holder Practice last week.  Seems like a nice guy.

34585048_10156714042774467_8707499924339556352_o.jpg

Edited by Howie411

"Among the new enhancements for Season Ticket Members in 2018 is preferred concession pricing for all food items throughout the stadium on gameday, allowing Members to pay up to 50 percent less for certain items than non-Members."

(guy hanging out near concession stand): "Hey, bro...you a season ticket member? Cool...would you mind buying me some hotdogs, man?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

Posted (edited)

Is “Season Ticket Membership” another way of saying Personal Seat License? Or is this something already included with season tickets?

Edited by LadderCrew17

22 minutes ago, LadderCrew17 said:

Is “Season Ticket Membership” another way of saying Personal Seat License? Or is this something already included with season tickets?

No, it's not.  Season Ticket Membership is essentially Season Ticker Holder, but Membership sounds more personal.  What they are doing is getting rid of the waiting list, and now anyone can get season tickets.  You don't have to wait for them to call you, you don't have to listen to any spiels about the club level, you can buy what is available.  

Honestly, it's smart and what they should have done from Day One.  Leave the allure for the club level and dream seats, but the seating bowls should be open season. 

Seems like the decreased concession prices is a creative way to entice folks to become STH (or reward existing STH). I don't think Atlanta or Baltimore, two teams which have recently slashed concession prices, require one to be a STH to take advantage of the cheaper prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Seems like the decreased concession prices is a creative way to entice folks to become STH (or reward existing STH). I don't think Atlanta or Baltimore, two teams which have recently slashed concession prices, require one to be a STH to take advantage of the cheaper prices. 

So who is actually going to get Season tickets just to save $3 dollars on hotdogs lol.  I'm sure this doesn't include beer.  Most of that concession is already double the price it should be

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

So who is actually going to get Season tickets just to save $3 dollars on hotdogs lol.  I'm sure this doesn't include beer.  Most of that concession is already double the price it should be

In Baltimore they are cutting domestic beer from $8.50 to $7, premium beer from $9.50 to $8, and mixed drinks from $10 to $9. 

I agree with you that I can't see this alone enticing people to get STH, and do think concession prices should be cut for everyone, but I'm not going to complain about something which is at least a good start. 

Parking should be something else that is fixed, IMO.  To pay an outrageous $50 is one thing (although just about every NFL team likely charges around that these days), but the s-show in trying to find a space around everyone's grills and cornhole games is another.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So they’ve finally come clean to what was obvious to everyone else... the season ticket wait list was a myth.

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

In Baltimore they are cutting domestic beer from $8.50 to $7, premium beer from $9.50 to $8, and mixed drinks from $10 to $9. 

Other teams that similarly reduced prices actually saw higher revenues due to an increase in consumption. Talk about a win win...

Edited by Dan T.
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Other teams that similarly reduced prices actually saw higher revenues due to an increase in consumption. Talk about a win win…

Atlanta is the only other NFL team that I know publicized price reductions last year similar to what Baltimore is doing. The thing with the ATL numbers is that they also moved into a new stadium last year, which I assume probably had more concession areas than the Georgia Dome, so not sure how that played into the numbers. Baltimore of course is staying at M&T so it'll be interesting to see what their concession revenues show at the end of this season,

Saw this tweet from Darren Rovell showing what the Skins have advertised as the number of peeps on the wait list through the years:

I am glad they acknowledge that there is no longer a wait list.  Also, at least they are taking steps to try and improve the fan experience.  With these incentives, the plan right now is to convince more fans to buy season tickets.  I am sure they will end up having individual game seats available as well during the season, unless the team starts playing well.  

I imagine more changes are coming.  I just hope this actually gets our fans into the seats and not opposing teams fans.  I am now concerned that brokers will buy up more season tickets to sell online.  

• Like 1

The charade is finally over.

The fact that there is not a wait to get season tickets is a direct result of A.) Snyder aggressively monetizing the game day experience and 2.) All the ****ing losing. 

Please see my sig. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr. S said:

I am glad they acknowledge that there is no longer a wait list.  Also, at least they are taking steps to try and improve the fan experience. 

Sad though that it's come to this.  I like that he brought someone in from the outside to fix this but it's sad that things have to deteriorate to the extent they do to make that happen.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The guy who is running this part of the operation, Bye, was on 980 just now.  I saw him on Redskins Nation, too.  Seems like an articulate/competent guy.

Sheehan said though the magic thing to Bye in the interview -- winning would be the most important variable as to ticket sales.    That's obvious.

I still think forgetting the whole FO argument's merits that we've had here.  From just a pure PR boost putting a football/personnel guy in charge of football operations would sell I think more than anything.  Not a nostalgic person from the past.  But a real football/personnel guy -- and if its Kyle Smith I think they can sell that.

When I get into conversation with random Redskins fans, and I know a bunch via my network -- the theme is does the organization know what they are doing.   The Scot hire was such a PR bonanza because hiring a big time personnel guy to run personnel was such a departure and people loved it. 

As for this issue you see it big time in both radio stations polls, petitions on and on and on.  It's almost a running theme during Dan's tenure -- who is running personnel and do we trust them?  The other organizations who don't have that constant question and many of whom win -- don't have these issues as far as I can tell.

In short, put Kyle Smith or another real personnel guy in charge of personnel -- I bet it would do much more to move season tickets than discounts on hot dogs.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

?? There's no wait list??

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-gif-8.gif

I guess I can finally change my signature.

What's next?  Local Blackouts?

Does anybody want to lay odds that the Houston Texans game on Nov. 18th will be blacked out in the DC area?

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, LadderCrew17 said:

Not yet, just wait for the new stadium........

2 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

What's next?  Local Blackouts?

Does anybody want to lay odds that the Houston Texans game on Nov. 18th will be blacked out in the DC area?

NFL has suspended the old blackout rules for several years. 

TOGETHER WE HAIL!!!!

Does anybody have an idea what this new Fan Pavilion is going to be mentioned in Lafemina's email?  I thought it would be just for season ticket holders but it says for all fans in the press release above.  It says it will have sight lines to the field.  I think they will have to take out seats were the band sits to make that happen

If they are serious about improving the fan experience, the "dream seats" must go. Stop making the entire lower bowl stand for 3 hours!

• Like 2

Yeah I sat in the dream seats once, nice gimmick but otherwise I'd never do that again, so many blocked views.  Based on the point below, i am guessing the next stadium might be smaller.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23781290/washington-redskins-acknowledge-no-waiting-list-season-tickets

The Redskins ranked 28th in the 32-team NFL last season in home attendance as a percentage of stadium capacity, at about 88 percent.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I sat in the dream seats once, nice gimmick but otherwise I'd never do that again, so many blocked views.  Based on the point below, i am guessing the next stadium might be smaller.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23781290/washington-redskins-acknowledge-no-waiting-list-season-tickets

The Redskins ranked 28th in the 32-team NFL last season in home attendance as a percentage of stadium capacity, at about 88 percent.

The problem I have with that stat is that the ESPN attendance chart from last season has the Skins drawing a bit over 75,000 per game last season.  If that is 88.4 percent of capacity, that would put capacity at a little over 85,000. It was claimed that after 2004, when the dream seats and OV/LV seats on the visitors side of the 200 level were installed, that the capacity at FedEx was between 91-92K.  After the mass removal of upper level seats and the reduction of club level capacity since the early part of this decade, no way capacity is at 85K. I would venture to say that its probably closer to 75K, which is about what it was when the place opened.  Granted, based on the number of empty seats you still see in the upper level and club level during most games, I don't think you even have 75K attending many games......probably closer to mid-60s K, which is what capacity for the new stadium has been projected at.

I take a lot of stats like this and costs to get into games at various venues with a grain of salt, because often times the information is outdated. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I got a lot of love for the people in the 100 section.  I sat there a lot. they're a bunch of rowdy die hard fans that add a lot to the atmosphere when Fedex gets going.  Fun times down there but I moved my seat in 142 and returned to the 200's.  It was an easy fix

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After Jerry World broke the 100k mark for seats, the trend for other NFL stadiums has been to go smaller.  I can't imagine we will have the same number of seats in Fed Ex now, much less approach the capacity we used to have.