Sticksboi05

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Recommended Posts

The Curse is over, it's dead, it's irrelevant. Time to move on and have only good vibes.

 

We have one of the best pitchers ever on his way to a 3rd straight Cy Young, we have a dynamic duo in the back court who are trying their best despite Ernie Grunfeld's incompetence, the Redskins are still a mediocre franchise but we no longer go into seasons praying to get to 6 wins, and the city FINALLY HAS A CHAMPION!

 

June 7, 1978

 

image.png.50063b99278ca1d6dd164438e0ff3788.png

 

 

June 7, 2018

 

image.png.886ea4c4a35e00701d99624561e709c6.png

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about making this thread late last night while the bubbly was flowing.  Good show, sir!

 

Anyhoo....ALEX SMITH WILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL LIII MVP.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even a worm will turn.  And blind squirrels find acorns from time to time.  And a broken clock is right twice a day.  The early bird catches the worm.  A penny saved is a penny earned. 

 

I don't know what I'm saying, bottom line, the Redskins are due.

 

Point of clarification though, the Curse o' Les Boulez predates the DC Sports Curse and is still alive and well.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nats will win the pennant in October.

 

Skins and Wiz are hopeless unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I don't know what I'm saying, bottom line, the Redskins are due.


:redskins-3908:

Please, football gods.  I humbly kneel before you. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Point of clarification though, the Curse o' Les Boulez predates the DC Sports Curse and is still alive and well.

 

Yep. If there is truly a curse it resides with that team. What a pathetic franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After last night, we can put the best D.C. athlete ever conversation to bed. It's Ovechkin. Nobody has been more dominant at a time when there was actually legitimate talent in their respective league (sorry Walter Johnson and Sammy Baugh).

 

With a championship and playoff MVP to go along with 3 season MVPs, 7 goal scoring titles, 3 most outdistancing player awards, get ready for a statue outside of MCI Center.

 

Also unlike other contemporary stars, Ovechkin has never threatened to leave or held that over the franchise, never thrown teammates under the bus to the media, and has taken the brunt of criticism and quite frankly xenophobia from the Canadian hockey media.

 

Last night just cemented his amazing legacy in this town.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

After last night, we can put the best D.C. athlete ever conversation to bed. It's Ovechkin. Nobody has been more dominant at a time when there was actually legitimate talent in their respective league (sorry Walter Johnson and Sammy Baugh).

 

With a championship and playoff MVP to go along with 3 season MVPs, 7 goal scoring titles, 3 most outdistancing player awards, get ready for a statue outside of MCI Center.

 

Also unlike other contemporary stars, Ovechkin has never threatened to leave or held that over the franchise, never thrown teammates under the bus to the media, and has taken the brunt of criticism and quite frankly xenophobia from the Canadian hockey media.

 

Last night just cemented his amazing legacy in this town.

Are you Kevin Sheehan? lol I agree with you on Ovechkin's greatness and I'm not a big hockey fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

After last night, we can put the best D.C. athlete ever conversation to bed. It's Ovechkin. Nobody has been more dominant at a time when there was actually legitimate talent in their respective league (sorry Walter Johnson and Sammy Baugh).

 

With a championship and playoff MVP to go along with 3 season MVPs, 7 goal scoring titles, 3 most outdistancing player awards, get ready for a statue outside of MCI Center.

 

Also unlike other contemporary stars, Ovechkin has never threatened to leave or held that over the franchise, never thrown teammates under the bus to the media, and has taken the brunt of criticism and quite frankly xenophobia from the Canadian hockey media.

 

Last night just cemented his amazing legacy in this town.

 

Well said. Henceforth, let the arena on F street be called "The House that Ovi Built."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

Well said. Henceforth, let the arena on F street be called "The House that Ovi Built."

 

Funny, they were never successful until they changed the name to Stupid Capital One Arena

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nats have a team that could win it anytime they feel like getting over the hump. 

 

Redskins *should* have a squad capable of winning 10-11 games this year imo. Pending health, the defense should be stacked. Pending health and living up to potential, there are some weapons on offense. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t count them out this year, and that’s better than we’ve been able to say a lot of other years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost better that they won in Vegas.  It allowed our building to be 100 percent Caps FANS.  No Vegas fans.  No corporate d-bags.  Just fans.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Ted will have an aha moment about EG now that he changed one long time GM and it led to a championship. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's almost better that they won in Vegas.  It allowed our building to be 100 percent Caps FANS.  No Vegas fans.  No corporate d-bags.  Just fans.

Plus now we get to see what will be a LEGENDARY afterparty for Ovie.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Maybe Ted will have an aha moment about EG now that he changed one long time GM and it led to a championship. 

What's worse is...McPhee is/was WAAAAAAY better than Grunfeld ever was. He built most of this team that won the Cup and just built up an expansion team that made the Finals in year one. I watched Joe B interview GMGM last night and he was really classy about it all, I actually kinda felt bad for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Scr*w the Skins, Bullets and Gnats. I only care about the Caps!

 

 

 

Let's leave that kind of sentiment out of here. We need to be a city that supports all of our teams - that'w how the big boys do it. Doesn't mean each one is passionate for you, but it's the "Washington" that matters.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Plus now we get to see what will be a LEGENDARY afterparty for Ovie.

What's worse is...McPhee is/was WAAAAAAY better than Grunfeld ever was. He built most of this team that won the Cup and just built up an expansion team that made the Finals in year one. I watched Joe B interview GMGM last night and he was really classy about it all, I actually kinda felt bad for him.

 

He traded Forsberg for a bag of pucks. That's like writing the greatest book in the world, and forgetting to give it a title. Just not good enough. 

Edited by Mournblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's almost better that they won in Vegas.  It allowed our building to be 100 percent Caps FANS.  No Vegas fans.  No corporate d-bags.  Just fans.

 

Eh, the reason they sold so many tickets was because non-fans just wanted to be a part of an event.  A lot of people I work with went, or were outside on F street and they couldn't name one player other than Ovechkin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

 

Let's leave that kind of sentiment out of here. We need to be a city that supports all of our teams - that'w how the big boys do it. Doesn't mean each one is passionate for you, but it's the "Washington" that matters.

 

(Shrugs) Fine. But right now is the CAPS moment, not the other teams. They need to go out there and earn it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that the Bullets and Caps both secured championship on June 7 (40 years apart), I propose that June 7th be designated as Champions Day in DC and everybody gets the day off.  :)  

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkB452 said:

Given that the Bullets and Caps both secured championship on June 7 (40 years apart), I propose that June 7th be designated as Champions Day in DC and everybody gets the day off.  :)  

Awesome idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

Eh, the reason they sold so many tickets was because non-fans just wanted to be a part of an event.  A lot of people I work with went, or were outside on F street and they couldn't name one player other than Ovechkin.  

 

Does it matter? I'm new to hockey (basically watch the Caps in the playoffs over the past 4-5 years) and I'm enjoying it. I don't claim to "own" the championship like I would if the Redskins or Orioles won something, but I'm allowed to revel in it. You would think that fans would want the teams they love to gain popularity and reach that "pop culture" status that spans beyond the guys who watch hockey in November. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.