Sign in to follow this  
Vanguard

Is this the best Defensive Front we've had in years?

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I both agree and disagree here.  We likely don’t have an All Pro lineman on the roster just based on odds, and I think you’re right that we look very solid, but not scary (as of yet).  

 

On the other hand, Allen has a very high ceiling - almost certainly not to the Watt/Peppers level, but I’d say there’s a chance he could become a Campbell type.  Ioannidas isn’t the well rounded terror those guys are, but vs the pass, for a while there, was ranked as the #2 interior pass rusher.

 

I think our nickel front - Preston, Allen, Io, and Kerrigan is going to be a handful for a lot of teams... they could actually be one of the best pass rushing units in the league.  They ‘just’ need better production from whoever rotates in for them, and from our 34.  That and good health of course 

 

Payne, Settle and Lanier appear to offer a lot of potential as well.  Payne especially seems like one of those guys that can make everyone around him better (even if he never becomes a dominant force himself).  

 I would rather have three to four really good players upfront, then just one stud like Watt, with above average players around him.  Because if the one stud gets injured, which Watt has twice, then your unit sort of fades.  It loses its dominance.  The one stud is the glue IMO.  It really psychological a downer when they go out. 

 

With the Skins, three, possibly a developing fourth, good, solid players on the line we could, with the proper rotations, give other teams fits. Last year,  Allen was on the rise, Kerrigan solid always, but not dominating (BUT he was held a lot and it was never called), Smith any given Sunday has flashes of brilliance, and Ionnadis was becoming very dominant before he got injured.  So without injuries this year, these guys could be a well-oiled machine together, rather then one dominating player that is the glue.

 

 And the way the D- line is being built is an intelligent way to build a line.  Because next year in the draft you replace Smith because we will not be able to afford him, especially if he has a great year. I personally think Payne is going to be a solid player.  And that is what the team needs.  Dominant?  He could be if he keeps his weight under control, good coaching, stays focused and you get some fun competition between him and Settle.

 

My big question mark is the secondary....again.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil Taylor is the X factor, but I'd rather wait 5 regular season games before I say anything else. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like always, health will determine how good this group is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Most Underrated Position Groups in the NFL

 

Redskins Defensive Line

I really can’t think of a better word to describe what I expect the Redskins’ defensive front to be this year other than, simply, badass. They might not get the most sacks, they might not be the most explosive group, but a defensive line that pairs second-year pro Jonathan Allen with former Alabama teammate and rookie Da’Ron Payne is going to be a pain (both literally and figuratively) for offensive linemen. That disruptive duo should draw plenty of attention on each snap, giving defensive tackle Matt Ioannidis, veteran Stacy McGee, and rookie Tim Settle―who is not a small human at 6-foot-3 and 329 pounds―the opportunity to shine. 

 

On the edge, Ryan Kerrigan (13.0 sacks, three forced fumbles, one pick) remains the pass-rushing rock, Preston Smith (8.0 sacks) has breakout-star potential, and Anthony Lanier (5.0 sacks) will look to build off last year’s promising campaign. Add in second-year linebacker Ryan Anderson (who may play a little bit inside), veterans Pernell McPhee and Ziggy Hood, and Washington’s built a deep, versatile, and physical front.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Redskins Defensive Line

I really can’t think of a better word to describe what I expect the Redskins’ defensive front to be this year other than, simply, badass.

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Most Underrated Position Groups in the NFL

 

Redskins Defensive Line

I really can’t think of a better word to describe what I expect the Redskins’ defensive front to be this year other than, simply, badass. They might not get the most sacks, they might not be the most explosive group, but a defensive line that pairs second-year pro Jonathan Allen with former Alabama teammate and rookie Da’Ron Payne is going to be a pain (both literally and figuratively) for offensive linemen. That disruptive duo should draw plenty of attention on each snap, giving defensive tackle Matt Ioannidis, veteran Stacy McGee, and rookie Tim Settle―who is not a small human at 6-foot-3 and 329 pounds―the opportunity to shine. 

 

On the edge, Ryan Kerrigan (13.0 sacks, three forced fumbles, one pick) remains the pass-rushing rock, Preston Smith (8.0 sacks) has breakout-star potential, and Anthony Lanier (5.0 sacks) will look to build off last year’s promising campaign. Add in second-year linebacker Ryan Anderson (who may play a little bit inside), veterans Pernell McPhee and Ziggy Hood, and Washington’s built a deep, versatile, and physical front.

 

Keep an eye on Ioannidis...he keeps getting better and I like his motor. I think he has a chip on his shoulder and motivation to kick some ass.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Keep an eye on Ioannidis...he keeps getting better and I like his motor. I think he has a chip on his shoulder and motivation to kick some ass.

 

I’m with you, I was just as encouraged by his play as Allen last year. Doesn’t have the high draft pedigree, so it appears he’ll have to have another year to gain more mention. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Keep an eye on Ioannidis...he keeps getting better and I like his motor. I think he has a chip on his shoulder and motivation to kick some ass.

 

I am an Ioannidis enthusiast.   He's my third or fourth favorite player.  You put it perfectly when you emphasize his "motor."  If he can duplicate last season, I'll be satisfied.  If he improves on last season, I'm starting an Ioannidis pro bowl campaign.

 

Question though, do you think Ioannidis will start in the 3-4.  Or will it be Allen, Payne, McGee.  Or is it too soon to say?

Edited by Vanguard
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Oh no!!  They're still high on Ziggy Hood.  :(

 

 

 

 

*Just as Coach said: "Ziggy is a DE (who, 'badd-assedly', 'took one for the TEAM - playing 'WAAAAAAAY-OUT-OF-POSITION', as an 'UNDERSIZED NT')!!!"

 

Go over Ziggy's STEELERS Tape, at DE...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, as frustrating as it was to watch Ziggy time and again get pushed back with ease immediately off the snap while playing nose tackle, I hate to say anything about it. And I’m someone who thought he even had a terrible preseason last year and shouldn’t have made the team. 

 

Because, like Tomsula said, guy was really the consummate pro stepping into a position no one really likes playing and played the majority of snaps. There were games where he was out there more than anyone else on the field. At least it felt like that. I’m

pretty sure no other Dlineman comes close to him in snaps last season. It’s not his fault the injuries thrust him into that position. 

 

That being said, he wasn’t necessarily a positive last preseason even at his natural DE position. So I’m not sure I’m going to be happy to see him make the team from a talent-standpoint. But in terms of all the intangibles? He deserves it.

 

I saw firsthand how much the guys respected him. He was the clear leader of that unit and he lead by example sacrificing like he did. Again, I witnessed it firsthand after the Seahawks game that that’s how they saw him playing nose and playing that many snaps.

 

Suffice to say, dude was exhausted.

 

It’s those type of things that make you change how you perceive these guys when before all you’re doing is watching their film and they’re just a body playing a game. 

 

So we’ll see if another year under Tomsula and at his natural position gives us a better Hood on the field, but I’m not holding my breath about it. I just won’t be surprised if he’s still on the team even if he remains more of a liability there, and I won’t be mad about it. Not happy, but not mad. :ols: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were recently talking about Hood in one of the other threads. Last year was definitely not his best season, but Hood at End is a valuable asset. Especially with the rotation we will have. If anyone is on the bubble, it's probably not Hood. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We were recently talking about Hood in one of the other threads. Last year was definitely not his best season, but Hood at End is a valuable asset. Especially with the rotation we will have. If anyone is on the bubble, it's probably not Hood. 

 

Yeah, I mean I, similar to you, consider him a valuable asset more than others simply because of what he brings in terms of durability, flexibility and leadership. I just wonder about how much one should take away from his preseason play at DE last year, because it wasn’t good at all. 

 

But was that a case of a vet just pacing himself in preseason like many do? Was it about him being hesitant while learning Tomsula’s techniques and scheme? 

 

I don’t know. There’s no doubt he’s much less a liability at DE than at Nose,  but can he actually be good there? How awesome would that be if he emerges there as more than just a guy who is gap sound but can often lose physically? It’s going to be fascinating to watch signs of that (or a lack thereof) this preseason, though that might not even tell the full story if he’s the kind of vet that handles the preseason as mentioned above. 

 

I’ve been (ridiculously) intrigued by the Dline these last few preseasons and this one is going to have the most talent to bite into. Hood is certainly a big part of the intrigue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

 

Yeah, I mean I, similar to you, consider him a valuable asset more than others simply because of what he brings in terms of durability, flexibility and leadership. I just wonder about how much one should take away from his preseason play at DE last year, because it wasn’t good at all. 

 

But was that a case of a vet just pacing himself in preseason like many do? Was it about him being hesitant while learning Tomsula’s techniques and scheme? 

 

I don’t know. There’s no doubt he’s much less a liability at DE than at Nose,  but can he actually be good there? How awesome would that be if he emerges there as more than just a guy who is gap sound but can often lose physically? It’s going to be fascinating to watch signs of that (or a lack thereof) this preseason, though that might not even tell the full story if he’s the kind of vet that handles the preseason as mentioned above. 

 

I’ve been (ridiculously) intrigued by the Dline these last few preseasons and this one is going to have the most talent to bite into. Hood is certainly a big part of the intrigue. 

I wonder how much of that play was a mix of being in a somewhat new position, or at least style of position and suffering from what Payne did last year. Taking one for the team. If I remember correctly, Hood was better as a penetrater than in contain his first year here and certainly in Pittsburgh that's what he did. 

 

If he's back to that style of player, he's better than just an asset or locker room leader. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ion is extremely underrated and his growth from  year 1 to 2 was outstanding. He went from looking like maybe a depth/rotational body at best to solid starter with potential Pro Bowl play. Now I do think Jon Allen helped him a ton, but he was still playing well after Allen's injury too.

 

I think the potential of an Ion/Allen/Payne DL could be devastating for the next 5 years assuming health.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 6:45 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder how much of that play was a mix of being in a somewhat new position, or at least style of position and suffering from what Payne did last year. Taking one for the team. If I remember correctly, Hood was better as a penetrater than in contain his first year here and certainly in Pittsburgh that's what he did. 

 

If he's back to that style of player, he's better than just an asset or locker room leader. 

I believe that Hood player in a 1 gap scheme in College, 2 gap in Pittsburgh (took him some time to adjust), was signed by Jacksonville as a 1 gap DE (but got injured), and then a mix of 1 and 2 gap play here.  

 

I’m hoping having him 1 gapping as a DE helps him out, but I’m not necessarily banking on it.  As @thesubmittedonesaid though, his intangibles are a help for the team, and he also should be in a rotational role vs serving as a starter.  

 

I could definitely wind up wrong about that last point though - the team might not want Allen or Io taking DE snaps (keeping them as our DTs), and Lanier and Settle may not be ready for more than situational snaps.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 7:41 PM, madden lot said:

On paper, yes

 

On Paper, couple that with their youth and how much we've invested in them via the draft, yes. This is not a makeshift line of overpriced average FA, or late round projects who last longer than they should have..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ion is extremely underrated and his growth from  year 1 to 2 was outstanding. He went from looking like maybe a depth/rotational body at best to solid starter with potential Pro Bowl play. Now I do think Jon Allen helped him a ton, but he was still playing well after Allen's injury too.

 

I think the potential of an Ion/Allen/Payne DL could be devastating for the next 5 years assuming health.

 

*I'm with you on this. I live a stone's throw from Philadelphia, and one of my nephews went to Temple; so, I watched Ionnidas DOMINATE, at '0/1/3-Techniques'.

 

Coach Tomsula has raved about Matt during OTA's & Mini-Camp!

 

Our Team is gonna 'surprise' EVERYONE (but 'US'), this season!

 

I'm hanging on MY prognostication of '12-4 to 15-4' & 'Back-2-Back' Lombardi's!!!

 

'HTTR-4-LIFE (since I arrived in the USA, at age-7, 1965)'!!!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 10:10 PM, C26 Run said:

Phil Taylor is the X factor, but I'd rather wait 5 regular season games before I say anything else. 

 

I love the prospect of having a healthy Big Phil clog the middle. But, with the additions of  both Payne and Settle, would we have roster room for the man? There are going to be some tough cuts on this roster, and like FB, I just don't see room for NT #2 (or 3 depending on where you label Payne.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put this in the Payne thread, but will put it here, too...

 

 

Paul Conner @P_ConnerJr

Paul Conner Retweeted The Team 980

Awesome story lol   Zach Brown: "I knew they were running a lead or PA Lead cuz I noticed the widened gap. I went to alert Payne and before I could say anything he said "Yeah, nah, imma close that off."   So Good.

 

Paul Conner @P_ConnerJr

Once Payne said "Yeah, nah, imma close that off," all Brown could say was "Aight, cool."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all starts with this.  I think this can be a fantastic unit.  Just need to stay healthy.  

 

I am trying not to get my hopes up but I think this can be a top 10 defense.  Like I said, it all starts here.  Better line play means better play from the linebackers, safeties, and corners.  We should be able to stop the run better, we should be able to get pressure and force turnovers.  

 

Just need to stay healthy.  The more football I watch, the more I am convinced that this is what it's really all about.  If we have a healthy Ion, Allen and Payne all year, our defense should be making noise every weekend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this