Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**'Non-Big Four' DC Sports Thread**

Renegade7

I'm not watching the finals, and there are other DC teams I can check out instead.  I'm multitasking, but noticed the Washington Valor is on.  Yes, Arena Football in DC.  I kinda would rather watch the Nats since this Braves series is pretty important, but figure I'd start a thread for us to distract ourselves even with less of the Big Four playing.  There's already a College Football and College Basketball thread, so even High School that comes up when those seasons are on, but I wouldn't mind other college sports in here.  So tired of the political threads, reach if you have to.  Let me know if we should do DMV instead.

I plan to bring up the Mystics, want to go to a game once I move back to the area.  Is it just me or WNBA travels a lot?  That was a grown woman comeback at home against a team that knocked you out the playoffs last year.  Will be glad when they stop losing home playoff games to concerts, hard enough as it is being a DC Sports Team.  It's basketball, they are a DC team, why not?  Just do auto-record live games, if I miss it, I have something to put on at least.  

Great idea for a thread.

I'm thinking of heading to a Mystics game myself before too long. I'm not a huge fan of basketball in general but why not, right? No excuse to not support them - need to unlearn some of these stigmas I've developed about women's sports.

Also been looking to learn more about rugby and would like to see a game or two - maybe Washington RFC or Georgetown or something? If anyone has any advice about that, please send it my way.

28 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Great idea for a thread.

I'm thinking of heading to a Mystics game myself before too long. I'm not a huge fan of basketball in general but why not, right? No excuse to not support them - need to unlearn some of these stigmas I've developed about women's sports.

Also been looking to learn more about rugby and would like to see a game or two - maybe Washington RFC or Georgetown or something? If anyone has any advice about that, please send it my way.

Rugby sounds like fun "perpetual fumble".  Heard there's a Woman's football team that's won a couple championships.  I will go to a DC United game once in the new stadium to see if I like it.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna make my way out to Buzzard Point at some point. My girlfriend hates sports but wants to give soccer a try. I wish Men's Soccer in the U.S. was in a better position but I'm sure it'll still be fun. 

I would take her to see the Spirit (the women's pro soccer I just learned about today) but they seem to be having a tough start to the year right now. Also they play way the hell out in Germantown. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Am I rude to just laugh ? 

Why not just call it a Mystics thread ? 

1 minute ago, pjfootballer said:

Valor got their first win last week. DC United tied Toronto 4-4 last night.

Their new stadium opens on July 14th. Can’t wait to see it.

That's why.

Edit:  I got some DVR to catch up on, but I have every intent on checking out the new stadium at least once to see if I like soccer in person more then I like it on TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see the Valor are playing Baltimore in Arena Bowl 31 on Saturday. Being its a four-team league, the Valor qualified for the playoffs with a 2-10 record!!

Doesn't Leonsis own both the DC and Baltimore arena teams?  Between the Caps and arena league, he has to be pro sports owner of the year!

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I see the Valor are playing Baltimore in Arena Bowl 31 on Saturday. Being its a four-team league, the Valor qualified for the playoffs with a 2-10 record!!

Doesn't Leonsis own both the DC and Baltimore arena teams?  Between the Caps and arena league, he has to be pro sports owner of the year!

2-10, huh? Count me in, lmfao.

I hope there's room for the Caps banner at the arena, because the Valor won the Arena League title on Saturday by beating Baltimore, 69-55!

Anyone have any information regarding the Valor parade? I think the route goes from one end of Capital One Arena to the other...………...

• 2 weeks later...

Mystics in the playoffs, I'm going to at least one home playoff game.  Jus saw this though, not exactly how I wanted to clinch:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/mystics-dealing-with-forfeit-fallout-will-play-home-playoff-games-at-smith-center/2018/08/07/556dfe36-9a88-11e8-843b-36e177f3081c_story.html

On 7/29/2018 at 9:48 PM, hail2skins said:

Anyone have any information regarding the Valor parade? I think the route goes from one end of Capital One Arena to the other...………...

Didn't see anything about it, like that we were underdogs huge and pulled it off.  Always like to see that, no matter the sport.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Mystics in the playoffs, I'm going to at least one home playoff game.  Jus saw this though, not exactly how I wanted to clinch:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/mystics-dealing-with-forfeit-fallout-will-play-home-playoff-games-at-smith-center/2018/08/07/556dfe36-9a88-11e8-843b-36e177f3081c_story.html

Didn't see anything about it, like that we were underdogs huge and pulled it off.  Always like to see that, no matter the sport.

LOL......I think the Valor had a celebration at the Greene Turtle at Capital One. Fans got to pose with the Arena Bowl trophy...…..makes the Stanley Cup look like garbage :806:

I've gone to a couple Mystics games and had awesome seats thanks to the generosity of a friend. Sucks that they have to go over to GW for the playoffs, and then going over to near St. Elizabeth's next season. Think they are going to lose a significant number of fans with that move. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived