Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daniel Snyder ...Dare We Say Maturing....as a competent owner

skins_warrior

I'm going to jump right into it: 

1. Dan has built a nice resume of partnering with some of the best football minds in this era.

- Norv Turner (2x superbowls as OC, 250 games as HC)
- Marty Shottenheimer (6th all-time in wins as HC)
- Joe Gibbs (3x Super Bowl winner)

- Mike Shanahan (2x Super Bowl winner, 1x SB as OC)
- Jay Gruden (7x top 10 passing offense as HC, OC)
- Scott McGloughan (SEA and SFO Super Bowl architect)

- Eric Schaeffer, respected contract negotiator
- Brian Lafemina, respected NFL executive

2. We are finally seeing the right approach in how to build a team.

Being fiscally prudent, building through the draft, signing our own, while creating a relevant identity.
Since 2012, we have had fairly good offenses - by investing properly in:
- First offensive minded coaches: Mike, Kyle, Mcvay, Jay.  (which is smart in this era of football)
- Second the QB position: RG3, Cousins, Smith, McCoy
- Third, the offensive line: Resign Trent, draft/resign Moses, draft Scherff, draft Rollier, Christian

In the past 4 offseasons, with the foundation on offense fermenting, we have begun to invest in defense:

- First drafting pass rusher: Preston Smith
- Second signing top 5 CB in Norman
- Third, investing in very good defensive positional coaches: Gray, Tomsula, Manusky(originally as LB coach)
- Fourth, drafting d-line: Ionadis, Allen, Payne, Settle
- Fifth, drafting quality defensive BPA: Fuller, Jarret, Moreau, Nicholson, Apke

Planning for the future
- Cap space in 2019 and beyond for Crowder, Smith, Scherff (not signing any big name FAs to take away from signing our own)
- Loading up on compensatory picks for 2019 (4-5, maximum allowed)
- Retaining all 2019 draft picks (7)

3. Stability in Leadership

The first HC to be signed an extension under Snyder is Jay Gruden. Jay is a solid coach.
Jay consistently puts out a .500 squad or better, with a top 10 passing offense consistently. 
With a bit of luck and things falling our way for once, Jay could easily find himself with an 11 win team.

In summary, Dan has some more growing to do for sure. One, getting us to at least a NFC conference title game and SB, however incremental progress is what we have steadily seen the past 5-10 years. Dare I say is he maturing as a competent owner.

P.S. I have hated Snyder for a while now. I wanted Shottenheimer to continue as HC. I wanted Greg Williams as HC after Gibbs left. I wanted Mike/Kyle over RG3. I wanted Kirk over RG3. I wanted Scott over Bruce. The list goes on....that said, there is no denying the above three pillars to Dan's maturation: Partnering with great football minds, building teams the right way, and creating stability in leadership - we are seeing the fruits of these 3 pillars ferment into the current make up and forward looking trajectory of our team.

Haters hate. Its what they do. A thread about Bruce or Dan will always have the same set of haters chime in. You provided reasonable information. I appreciate that. But still.....haters always have something bad to say. They never take their mothers advice about that ****.

Ya see, haters generally become haters through unfounded news feeds, WP propaganda, other baseless reports (like Peter King's sorry ass) and emotion. Basically sheep think. Never any real facts. Haters don't care about facts. Its better to simply hate, right?

Its good to see a person actually take a good hard look at things. I, like you, had my issues with how the team was going a few years back. But for me, I was never one to really get that far in the weeds about what goes on in an office I've never been in. Its always been about what happens on Sundays for me. I've got enough bull**** going on in my own office than to be worried about that ****. Notwithstanding, I took a good hard look. I see better players, better stability, no ****ed up contracts, no leaks (other than that AJ Francis ****), and for the first time and no QB controversy going into next year (unless the haters want to keep the Kirk **** going). Nice and quiet (except for the haters). 

They hate!! Its what they do....

Good Post!!!

1 hour ago, skins_warrior said:

2. We are finally seeing the right approach in how to build a team.

Being fiscally prudent, building through the draft, signing our own, while creating a relevant identity.
- Second the QB position: RG3, Cousins, Smith, McCoy

I think this is the only post in three years I've seen include RG3 as proof that we're building the team right.

Some great points.  The big thing for me is it seems he has left the personnel decision making to others and doesn't seem to be meddling on who to sign anymore. 

However, it takes a lot to overcome his horrific reputation that he created for himself.  Even though you could say he is a much different owner, perhaps maturing into a competent owner, for his actions the last six years or so, he won't get credit for a day of it until the skins win a title.  Then the mainstream media will flood the internet with how he has been a changed man for years, using the points you mentioned above.  So while those changes have already taken place, only winning a title will allow people to recognize it.   

That's all well and good, the front office and ownership is still a ****show. You casually forgot to mention in your Snyder-praise that he fired Schottenheimer because he wasn't having fun, despite going 8-8 with Tony Banks at QB. He kept Vinny Cerrato for 10 years. 10. He subsequently hired Steve Spurrier. 

He apparently was the driving force behind RGIII, not only drafting him, but creating the environment that fed his massive ego.

Jay Gruden is the 1st coach to get an extension...in his 18th year as owner? I like Jay, but that's not a good record.

The team still treats people like ****: McCloughan, Cousins, Fuller (finding out he was traded via Twitter). 

That's just off the top of my head. He sucks and is the personification of everything wrong with this team.

My thing on Dan always comes back to the same thing.  The top teams typically have a top personnel executive running the ship.  Scot McCloughan was a wild departure for him.  We had John Schneider in here for a year.  That was nice.  Otherwise? :mellow:

Otherwise for Dan, its always been let the other teams hire top chefs to run personnel.  We don't do that.  It's been flunkies, politicians, head coaches, committees, everything but stud personnel people.   There are other issues I have with Dan.  But this by far is the top one.  If you are going to be a winning organization -- why not model the best?   Spend a ton on scouting like teams like Pittsburgh -- hire a top chef to run things and stay out of the way.

Because I believe this for here or ANY sports organization for that matter I get deemed a hater by some. :ols:  But nope.  Love the team.  Spend a ton of money on it every year in spite of everything.  And I like a lot of people who work for the Redskins.  I've just about always had every Qbs back when they got the starting job.  I've liked most of the coaches (sans Zorn and Shanny at the end of his tenure).    

Heck I've even been one of the people who bought into the Dan has turned over a new leaf song several times.  Until I find out later that it isn't so. 

In a way I am a bit easier on Dan than some of the FO critics because I don't feel its as hopeless as some others do.  I do think that if Dan puts a real personnel guy in charge of personnel like Kyle Smith.  And allows Kyle Smith to spend whatever he deems necessary on scouting.  This team can win.  Assuming they keep Jay.  The optimist in me thinks its possible.  But who knows?

My #1 current beef with Dan by a mile is having Bruce in charge.  Reassign Bruce to his lane.  Put Kyle Smith in charge and just like that I'd be happy with Dan.

Considering Dan is supposedly so PR sharp.  I am really surprised how it escapes him that putting a real personnel guy in charge of personnel isn't just the right thing to do but is also a giant PR move.  I think some miss that the excitement for many about the Scot hire wasn't about Scot specifically but about hey we actually have a respected personnel guy running personnel -- what a novelty!  The bottom line is it shouldn't be a novelty it should be the norm.

When you got petitions circulating on the Internet about removing Bruce with over 8000 signatures from fans.  And when radio stations are running polls where fans overwhelmingly picking Bruce as the biggest problem in the organization -- then yeah I think plenty of fans see things this way.  So the PR issues to me can be easily fixed.  

As for Dan, hard to tell what he's doing since he's gotten very quiet and is as reclusive these days as Greta Garbo.   I actually liked hearing him in the past from time to time publicly.  I don't know why he's become so camera shy.   I like that he's giving Jay a relatively long leash -- stability is good.    But we still have bad PR antics that make the organization look bad and mean spirited. I've blamed those on Bruce.   But maybe Dan's involved, I got no idea.  And while I like that they value the draft much more than the Vinny era -- the personnel department still doesn't have the look of a winner at least as for how its organized -- and fair or unfair the team is still mocked nationally by many for these reasons and is still a punchline for some.     

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's all well and good, the front office and ownership is still a ****show. You casually forgot to mention in your Snyder-praise that he fired Schottenheimer because he wasn't having fun, despite going 8-8 with Tony Banks at QB. He kept Vinny Cerrato for 10 years. 10. He subsequently hired Steve Spurrier. 

He apparently was the driving force behind RGIII, not only drafting him, but creating the environment that fed his massive ego.

Jay Gruden is the 1st coach to get an extension...in his 18th year as owner? I like Jay, but that's not a good record.

The team still treats people like ****: McCloughan, Cousins, Fuller (finding out he was traded via Twitter). 

That's just off the top of my head. He sucks and is the personification of everything wrong with this team.

Yeah, but you and me are just haters.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't disagree with anything you stated. However, I will say that this misses the point of the OP. 

In terms of football - and football only he has done some better things. He is still a douche of epic proportions as a person. I am not sure that can change. But it at least appears he is starting to get it in terms of the football operations. All that is really left is move Bruce out of personnel issues and either promote Kyle Smith or hire a solid personnel guy. 

The scouting has been better. Jay was extended which is a good thing. And while I was not a big fan of bringing in Doug (looked more like a publicity stunt and probably was), but he has been a settling and calming influence if not another solid player evaluation voice. Guys are buying in so something is working. 

I will never change my mind on dan the person. Again, he is just not a good person. However, he seems to be getting closer to realizing that these other successful teams may just have a good plan. As SIP stated, if he can just replace Bruce with a true GM with player personnel experience, Kyle Smith or someone else, and then stay out of the way, then from a football standpoint I could live with dan. 

Now do I still wish he would sell the team? Absolutely! He is just not someone I can support as an off the field owner. I would start supporting the team financially again if he sold. For the last 4 to 5 years, I have not been purchasing anything Redskins and have told my family to not buy me anything as gifts. And I stopped going to games about 3 yrs ago. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I don't disagree with anything you stated. However, I will say that this misses the point of the OP. 

In terms of football - and football only he has done some better things.

Really, he just fired Cerrato. Since 2010, the Redskins have had decent drafts--even including the RGIII fiasco. However, we are still making stupid personnel decisions--i.e. however you feel about Kirk, they botched that 11 ways to Sunday, and had to trade a very good, homegrown 22-yr-old CB AND a 3rd round pick for a 34-yr old QB, that they extended.

And as the owner, Synder is responsible for everything revolving around the team, including things like the gameday experience at FedEx. Most people know my very strong feelings about that stadium.

So, while he fired his bug-eyed raquetball partner, he has done very little to improve as an owner.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Really, he just fired Cerrato. Since 2010, the Redskins have had decent drafts--even including the RGIII fiasco. However, we are still making stupid personnel decisions--i.e. however you feel about Kirk, they botched that 11 ways to Sunday, and had to trade a very good, homegrown 22-yr-old CB AND a 3rd round pick for a 34-yr old QB, that they extended.

And as the owner, Synder is responsible for everything revolving around the team, including things like the gameday experience at FedEx. Most people know my very strong feelings about that stadium.

So, while he fired his bug-eyed raquetball partner, he has done very little to improve as an owner.

So the disconnect is that you are taking "doing some better things" to people saying everything is rosy and perfect. I think I agreed with your entire assessment but I also think there have been some positive things done. 

My thoughts on just how bad Bruce and dan ****ed up with Kirk is all over these pages. I just went through several pages of why I think the trade was not great and there were better options - although I do not hate the trade as much as others. But yes, he and Bruce totally hosed the whole thing. So clearly he is not done. He still does some stupid ****. And I believe I made it clear I would prefer he sell the team. But let's at least acknowledge he has also done some things in terms of football that are headed in the right direction. That's all that's being said here. 

I can still think he has much room for improvement but recognize the positive things done too. And that's the point here. While we are all very good at focusing on all the dumb **** dan does, let's also recognize he has done some better things lately. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

This is not directed at you - just a launching point: 

The visceral response from anything positive about dan being pointed out does show just how bad he has damaged his relationship with the fans. And I do not think it's just on ES. I don't live in the area anymore but I do run into fans from time to time. And almost all have the same problem - dan is a piece of ****. The only way that changes is if he sells the team. I am not sure even winning a SB will fix that relationship. Fans will be static with the team winning but still hate dan and want him to sell the team. 

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

If we could've protected Robert from our own stupid turf, he'd still be kickin' asses...like he did to Drew Brees, in the Superdome, in his FIRST REGULAR SEASON GAME. 

He wasn't a fluke. 

I don't wanna disagree here...but I do skinsmarydu..with all do respect..my user name was..well it's changed a couple times but most recently taylorcooley1..aaaannny way..2012 was his year... I'm sorry but before that Turf reached up and grabbed his foot we were on our way to the Super Bowl and winning it... We were the hottest team in December, the best team going into the playoffs and we were up on Seattle two touchdowns..than **** hit the fan..the injury leading into the force of the come back.."all in"..to switching up his playing style.. between the injury and the way the Redskins f***** it up like they do everything I'm sorry but the op is off his rocker, Dan Snyder has always ****ed **** up and always will.. in 2015 to 2016 looked promising with Kirk Cousins, Pierre Garcon, and DeSean Jackson if we would have kept the three together yada yada yada everybody else seen it the whole Scotty mcdoogle **** up.. he should still be here..**** Dan Snyder he is an absolute PIECE OF ****..sorry..back on track Robert Griffin had his only one year.. I guess my point being if had been handled correctly I guess Robert could still be kicking ass.. but I thought he couldn't read defenses? All the negative stuff I seen about him..ok I'm totally derailing this post I'll stop haha.. I think we can both agree that Dan Snyder...sucks as an owner.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

the front office and ownership is still a ****show.  

The team still treats people like ****: McCloughan, Cousins, Fuller (finding out he was traded via Twitter). Snyder sucks and is the personification of everything wrong with this team.

Completely agree here.. I, year in year out drive myself, push myself to believe that Dan Snyder is just a huge fan like me and is trying to do his best but I can't, it's completely obvious he is a total failure and completely sucks as the owner of the Redskins..

Maturing. Yes, after 20-years.

In that amount of time, a human being can be conceived and grow old enough to buy booze and be a senior card-carrying member of the NRA. In that amount of time, the Aldabra giant tortoise - one of if not the oldest terrestrial species on the planet - can reach sexual maturity and begin to hump away at a mate with the same renewable energy as me with the misses. In fact, the only living organism that makes his maturity clock seem like the DeLorean's timecircuit are the great pines and other trees which can probably explain why the envious sod's so fond of cutting down so many of them.

Had he behaved the way he seemingly does now 20 years ago he'd still come off as an average owner. But I guess that's the gold standard for us..

Archived