Sign in to follow this  
TK

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN G SHAWN LAUVAO

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

May 8, 2018

REDSKINS RE-SIGN G SHAWN LAUVAO

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed guard Shawn Lauvao. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lauvao (6-3, 308) was originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the third round (No. 92 overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He has appeared in 94 career regular season games with 85 starts.

Lauvao joined the Redskins as an unrestricted free agent on March 12, 2014. In four seasons with Washington from 2014-17, he started all 41 games in which he appeared, helping the Redskins average 360.2 yards per game in those four years, eighth-most in the NFL.

Lauvao played collegiately at Arizona State from 2006-09, appearing in 42 career games. He finished his collegiate career with 33 consecutive starts for the Sun Devils.

Lauvao, 30, attended Farrington H.S. in Honolulu, Hawaii, where he earned first-team all-state honors as a senior. He was born Oct. 26, 1987.

-REDSKINS-

The year Kirk took the reigns, I believe Alfred's last year, I remember t Williams and this guy mowing over d lines to clear running lanes..till Shawn got hurt...I like the signing .. nothing wrong with consistency..

• Thanks 1

Shawn wasn't all together terrible.. I know last year (the last couple of years) he was hurt - which reduced his effectivness - i cannot see this as a great move but not a bad one either - It brings someone back who was the starter who the other guys need to beat out in a competition. 

I kind of see him in a similar vein to Scandrick at corner - He can be a servicable starter until a young guy can be shown to be at least as good as him - Comptetion in camp doesn't really hurt anyone. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Shawn wasn't all together terrible.. I know last year (the last couple of years) he was hurt - which reduced his effectivness - i cannot see this as a great move but not a bad one either - It brings someone back who was the starter who the other guys need to beat out in a competition. 

I kind of see him in a similar vein to Scandrick at corner - He can be a servicable starter until a young guy can be shown to be at least as good as him - Comptetion in camp doesn't really hurt anyone. 

I agreed with you until you said serviceable starter. I see that with Scandrick but if Lauvao is the starter day one the FO really missed on this position. I have no problem with him being here as depth. He is a veteran guy that should be able to help the young guys. 

Having said that, I seriously doubt they see his as a starter at all. I believe they would have signed him much sooner. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Okay serviceable is a strong word ... I was really thinking kind of a spot starter - as you say depth more than anything .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I agreed with you until you said serviceable starter. I see that with Scandrick but if Lauvao is the starter day one the FO really missed on this position. I have no problem with him being here as depth. He is a veteran guy that should be able to help the young guys. 

Having said that, I seriously doubt they see his as a starter at all. I believe they would have signed him much sooner. 

I actually completely disagree with you on their plan, but agree with you on the result.

I think the plan was always for Lauvao to be the starter unless they drafted somebody high they could pencil in as a starter.  Sure, he's probably going to have to compete with some other folks, but I'm pretty sure they said, "We'll explore a few draft options, but we're not going to go out and get a FA veteran guard, because we'll just re-sign Lauvao, and plug him in."

So the draft came and went, there's no answer, so they re-signed Lauvao to be the starter the other guys are going to have to try and un-seat.  I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't open as top on the depth chart for training camp.  If he loses a camp battle, so be it.  I rather doubt he will.

I'd be willing to bet all of the money in my pockets (I have $72 cents at the moment) against all the money in yours that he opens against Arizona as they starting LG, barring injury. 

I further think this is a lazy move and a mistake.  We know what he is, which is "meh" at best, there's no market for him, and he's not great.  I'm not sure who else they could have brought in from FA, but clearly they thought he was better, or at least comparable, to anybody they could have signed to a reasonable contract.

I really hope somebody can un-seat him.  If he starts, it's the Reed Doughty of OL.  Try hard, knowledgeable vet lacking physical talent who gets the nod.  

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

The year Kirk took the reigns, I believe Alfred's last year, I remember t Williams and this guy mowing over d lines to clear running lanes..till Shawn got hurt...I like the signing .. nothing wrong with consistency..

Totally agree... since he got hurt that year he has'nt been the same. I don't like the signing though he has been consistently bad since that injury, 

Edited by NeverSurrender
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually completely disagree with you on their plan, but agree with you on the result.

I think the plan was always for Lauvao to be the starter unless they drafted somebody high they could pencil in as a starter.  Sure, he's probably going to have to compete with some other folks, but I'm pretty sure they said, "We'll explore a few draft options, but we're not going to go out and get a FA veteran guard, because we'll just re-sign Lauvao, and plug him in."

So the draft came and went, there's no answer, so they re-signed Lauvao to be the starter the other guys are going to have to try and un-seat.  I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't open as top on the depth chart for training camp.  If he loses a camp battle, so be it.  I rather doubt he will.

I'd be willing to bet all of the money in my pockets (I have $72 cents at the moment) against all the money in yours that he opens against Arizona as they starting LG, barring injury. 

I further think this is a lazy move and a mistake.  We know what he is, which is "meh" at best, there's no market for him, and he's not great.  I'm not sure who else they could have brought in from FA, but clearly they thought he was better, or at least comparable, to anybody they could have signed to a reasonable contract.

I really hope somebody can un-seat him.  If he starts, it's the Reed Doughty of OL.  Try hard, knowledgeable vet lacking physical talent who gets the nod.  

Your plan at starter is never going to be a guy you release and let hit free agency. So I would bet all the money in my pocket at the end of the day ($0.00 at the moment but I usually find a few pennies during the day) that he was not their choice at starter all along. 

I would not take the bet for him starting against AZ but only because now that he is in camp, his experience in the system - and that it seems he practices well - may keep the competition at bay. 

However I think we are in agreement that if he is the day 1 starter - regardless of how they got there - it's a definite failure to address that position.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Your plan at starter is never going to be a guy you release and let hit free agency. So I would bet all the money in my pocket at the end of the day ($0.00 at the moment but I usually find a few pennies during the day) that he was not their choice at starter all along. 

I would not take the bet for him starting against AZ but only because now that he is in camp, his experience in the system - and that it seems he practices well - may keep the competition at bay. 

However I think we are in agreement that if he is the day 1 starter - regardless of how they got there - it's a definite failure to address that position.  

I don't think they tried at all to find anybody in FA.  It was "draft somebody or bring back Sean."  And I also bet they told him, "hey, look, we're mostly likely going to re-sign you after the draft.  If you get another offer, give us a chance to at least match it."  That would be extremely reasonable, and given that the relationship between him and the team is pretty good, he'd probably have been ok with that.

I posted in the "what are we going to do at LG" thread back in one of the early pages that Luavao was going to be the opening day starter, and he wasn't even on the team at the time.  I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning that this was all a waiting game until after the draft and he was coming back.  

We are in agreement, they've failed to address the position, so far.  I do think, though, that they will be looking for June 1st cuts, training camp cuts, etc.  to see if there is an upgrade.

Also, if your LG is the weak link on offense, that's not the worst case scenario.  Assuming Doctson develops, Richardson is good, and (here's a BIG if) Trent, Scheff, Moses, CT and Reed are all healthy, that's a pretty good group.  You're going to have a weakness somewhere, if I had to pick 1 spot on the team to be weak, it would be LG: the dude who plays next to the best OL on the team, and will participate in a lot of Guard/Center double-teams.  You can work around an average LG.  

It's much harder to work around an average WR corps, or a bad DB, or something like that.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think they tried at all to find anybody in FA.  It was "draft somebody or bring back Sean."  And I also bet they told him, "hey, look, we're mostly likely going to re-sign you after the draft.  If you get another offer, give us a chance to at least match it."  That would be extremely reasonable, and given that the relationship between him and the team is pretty good, he'd probably have been ok with that.

I posted in the "what are we going to do at LG" thread back in one of the early pages that Luavao was going to be the opening day starter, and he wasn't even on the team at the time.  I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning that this was all a waiting game until after the draft and he was coming back.  

We are in agreement, they've failed to address the position, so far.  I do think, though, that they will be looking for June 1st cuts, training camp cuts, etc.  to see if there is an upgrade.

Also, if your LG is the weak link on offense, that's not the worst case scenario.  Assuming Doctson develops, Richardson is good, and (here's a BIG if) Trent, Scheff, Moses, CT and Reed are all healthy, that's a pretty good group.  You're going to have a weakness somewhere, if I had to pick 1 spot on the team to be weak, it would be LG: the dude who plays next to the best OL on the team, and will participate in a lot of Guard/Center double-teams.  You can work around an average LG.  

It's much harder to work around an average WR corps, or a bad DB, or something like that.  

I think where we differ is that I think they believe they have their starter in house - if the right FA popped up then they would not resign Lauvao, not that they were looking for a starting LG in free agency. We will see.

I do agree that as holes go, LG is probably one of the easiest to cover for. But man, a solid LG on that line could really make them one of the better olines in the NFL.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The weak at LG isn't so bad school of thought sounds like wishful thinking to me, I would have invested there instead of yet another running back.  I think Center is a question mark also which makes a weak running game again 2018.  Mediocre running backs look so much better behind powerful offensive lines, I think improving Center & LG was the way to go, I hope I am proven wrong.

Edited by Veryoldschool

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Your plan at starter is never going to be a guy you release and let hit free agency. 

Zach Brown.

Regarding LG, the FA market largely sucked and nobody else was signing Lauvao. I think he was always pencilled in to return depending on how the draft unfolded. I would have liked an instant upgrade but guess we'll need someone to emerge in camp.

Only other option being a team cuts someone who provides that talent upgrade during the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Zach Brown.

Regarding LG, the FA market largely sucked and nobody else was signing Lauvao. I think he was always pencilled in to return depending on how the draft unfolded. I would have liked an instant upgrade but guess we'll need someone to emerge in camp.

Only other option being a team cuts someone who provides that talent upgrade during the summer.

Was that their choice or his??  I believe that was his choice. They tried to sign him before FA but he wanted to test the waters and see his worth. 

I am not sure why so many are so certain the LG is not already on the team and was before Lauvao. And no, I obviously do not know exactly who it is. But for me the way they have done this is that they believe one of the other guys on the roster will be their starter. 

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Was that their choice or his??  I believe that was his choice. They tried to sign him before FA but he wanted to test the waters and see his worth. 

I am not sure why so many are so certain the LG is not already on the team and was before Lauvao. And no, I obviously do not know exactly who it is. But for me the way they have done this is that they believe one of the other guys on the roster will be their starter. 

We let him hit FA. He was ours and he then became a free agent before we paid him, so yes I'd say we let him hit FA.

On LG, I see Franklin is retiring after his release so once his plan became apparent Lauvao was back in straight away, so the plan was clearly always to have a vet complete at LG. Roullier seems to be favoured at C, but I see Welsh as a potential C more than LG so perhaps Roullier move across to LG. To be fair, it's wide open at present.

My guess is that we are a bit more worried about out tackle situation and specifically Trents recovery. We clearly targeted Payne, Guice and then tackle in the draft in my opinion.  

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We let him hit FA. He was ours and he then became a free agent before we paid him, so yes I'd say we let him hit FA.

On LG, I see Franklin is retiring after his release so once his plan became apparent Lauvao was back in straight away, so the plan was clearly always to have a vet complete at LG. Roullier seems to be favoured at C, but I see Welsh as a potential C more than LG so perhaps Roullier move across to LG. To be fair, it's wide open at present.

My guess is that we are a bit more worried about out tackle situation and specifically Trents recovery. We clearly targeted Payne, Guice and then tackle in the draft in my opinion.  

I think you are missing that I am pretty sure they tried to sign him before the end of FA. He wanted to test his worth before signing with the team and since he was due to be a FA they could not make him sign. Just because he hit free agency does not mean for sure that it was his decision. 

Totally disagree with the LG thing. Again, I feel certain they think the starting LG is on the team band his name is not Shawn Lauvao. He has been brought back for depth. But that's just me. I could certainly be very wrong here. Time will tell. 

I agree re:the tackles. It's a pretty well grounded fear. All 3 of the current tackles were injured last year - with Trent and Ty missing games. Moses was basically on 2 bad ankles much of the last half of the season. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think you are missing that I am pretty sure they tried to sign him before the end of FA. He wanted to test his worth before signing with the team and since he was due to be a FA they could not make him sign. Just because he hit free agency does not mean for sure that it was his decision. 

Totally disagree with the LG thing. Again, I feel certain they think the starting LG is on the team band his name is not Shawn Lauvao. He has been brought back for depth. But that's just me. I could certainly be very wrong here. Time will tell. 

I agree re:the tackles. It's a pretty well grounded fear. All 3 of the current tackles were injured last year - with Trent and Ty missing games. Moses was basically on 2 bad ankles much of the last half of the season. 

Brown was our plan to start at ILB and without question we let him hit FA, because, erm well he became a FA. We made him a very early offseason offer but the finer details are irrelevant. We factually let him hit FA before re-signing him.

Agree that time will tell at LG. Personally I hope someone hits the FA market through roster cuts because we look weak right now in my opinion. Hoping the tackle situation clears up too but we appear to have decent depth, or at least as much depth as you can really plan for.

I think assuming that it wasn't the FO's idea to have Lavauo start at LG is to assume the Redskins are a football literate organization. 

Anyone penciling in a rookie UDFA as a starter on the OL is, in my opinion, doing a lot of mental gymnastics to avoid the truth.  And that truth is that we still suck at LG.  

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Brown was our plan to start at ILB and without question we let him hit FA, because, erm well he became a FA. We made him a very early offseason offer but the finer details are irrelevant. We factually let him hit FA before re-signing him.

Agree that time will tell at LG. Personally I hope someone hits the FA market through roster cuts because we look weak right now in my opinion. Hoping the tackle situation clears up too but we appear to have decent depth, or at least as much depth as you can really plan for.

Not sure how making him an offer and him refusing is the Redskins "letting" him hit free agency. Again, he turned down the offer. The team at that point had no choice in the matter. It was taken out of their hands. Maybe we are disagreeing on what the meaning of "let him" is. For me, letting him is if they alone had the choice for him to free agency and made the decision to not make him any offer, then they "let" him go. 

But when you make an offer and that person rejects it they are taking the decision out of your hands. At that point it's not their decision to make. brown could either sign the offer, make a counter offer or "decide" to hit free agency. He chose free agency to check his value. The Red skins had no say in the matter. Not sure who that can be viewed they let him do anything. Now Breeland is a case where they let him go. They made no offer and made it clear they were not going to make him an offer. He was never given a choice to sign with the team. So the "let" him hit free agency. 

I am confused to how you see that as them letting Brown go. 

46 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am confused to how you see that as them letting Brown go. 

You said that teams never let planned starters hit FA. I said we technically did with Zach Brown. 

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think assuming that it wasn't the FO's idea to have Lavauo start at LG is to assume the Redskins are a football literate organization. 

Anyone penciling in a rookie UDFA as a starter on the OL is, in my opinion, doing a lot of mental gymnastics to avoid the truth.  And that truth is that we still suck at LG.  

Dare say you are right.

Interestingly the best available G in free agency was Norwell, an UDFA who ended up starting in his rookie season for the Panthers. Exception more than rule though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

You said that teams never let planned starters hit FA. I said we technically did with Zach Brown. 

Not sure how I can present it any more clear that ultimately it was not their decision so they did not technically or otherwise "let" him hit free agency. Once they made an offer it became his decision - period. :chair:

But Ok have gone over this enough. My last on this one. Time to move on.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure how I can present it any more clear that ultimately it was not their decision so they did not technically or otherwise "let" him hit free agency. Once they made an offer it became his decision - period. :chair:

But Ok have gone over this enough. My last on this one. Time to move on.

Seems like we didn't let Kirk Cousins hit free agency after all then. 

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Seems like we didn't let Kirk Cousins hit free agency after all then. 

Glad to see you finally get it.

• Confused 1