Sign in to follow this  
TK

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

May 2, 2018

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following college free agents:

PLAYER                               POS.               HT.                 WT.                COLLEGE               

Quin Blanding                        S                      6-2                   207                  Virginia

Martez Carter                          RB                   5-7                   193                  Grambling State

Simmie Cobbs Jr.                    WR                  6-3                   220                  Indiana

Jerod Fernandez                      LB                   6-0                   227                  NC State

Shay Fields                             WR                  5-11                 185                  Colorado

Matt Flanagan                         TE                   6-6                   260                  Pittsburgh

Mikah Holder                          WR                  6-0                   185                  San Diego State

Danny Johnson                       CB                   5-9                   181                  Southern

Timon Parris                            T                      6-6                   312                  Stony Brook

De’Mornay Pierson-El            WR                  5-9                   190                  Nebraska

Cam Sims                                WR                  6-5                   214                  Alabama

Ranthony Texada                    CB                   5-10                 170                  TCU

Elijah Wellman                        FB                   6-2                   241                  West Virginia

In addition, the Redskins agreed to terms with the following college free agent:

PLAYER                               POS.               HT.                 WT.                COLLEGE               

Sean Welsh                             C                     6-3                   306                  Iowa

-REDSKINS-

• Thanks 2

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between signing a free agent and coming to terms with them? What seperates Welsh from the rest?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It's also like being waived vs. being released.  My take is a signed player is not earning a salary which is contingent upon making the 53.  So, when that person is laid off, he is waived.  An actual paid athlete is 'released'.  That's my guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between signing a free agent and coming to terms with them? What seperates Welsh from the rest?

Verbal agreement with the agent, but Welsh's signature isn't inked yet?

8 hours ago, Shkspr said:

That's what I took it as. Everyone else has signed, Welsh has agreed to sign. But has not actually signed yet.

As an aside, waived vs. released really has nothing to do with the 53 man roster. All signed players get paid. Younger players get waived because they have to pass through waivers per NFL rules. Older players get released, because they become waiver exempt.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

It's also like being waived vs. being released.  My take is a signed player is not earning a salary which is contingent upon making the 53.  So, when that person is laid off, he is waived.  An actual paid athlete is 'released'.  That's my guess.

They all get paid as @Jericho stated. Here are the exact definitions from the NFL:

• Waived - A non-vested player (less than four years of service) who is terminated goes through waivers. When he is released another team can claim him within a certain period of time. A vested veteran only goes through the waiver system from the trading deadline in midseason through the end of the season. During the offseason and all the way up to the trading deadline, a vested veteran gets released. 
  • Released - A vested veteran is free when he is terminated and can sign with any club. Keep in mind, if the termination takes place between the end of the trading deadline and the end of the calendar year, the player goes through waivers. A vested veteran released this time of year is free to sign with any team. 
Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Makes perfect sense. A non vested player is ‘waived’ but after a period of time is ‘released’

And a vested player is ‘released’ but if it’s within a certain time he is considered ‘waived’

Yet another reason I chose to not go to law school 😀

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Shkspr said:

Additionally I think it indicates that they gave Welsh a bonus of some sort.

I recall that there is ‘training camp’ pay that is not counted against the cap for those players not expected to make the team. This type of pay is different than a ‘signed’ player.

Obviously, if they make the 53 then they are drawing a ‘signed’ salary but I didnt know there existed a four year barrier that categorizes players as vested vs. non-vested.

Sounds like CBA regulations to help protect seasoned vets. But in an occupation where the average employment duration is less than four years in itself, I find it odd that any player who has the fortune of making a roster wouldnt be considered ‘vested’. 

• Like 1

What Happened to TY McCulley from CSU-Pueblo?  He was on the UDFA list but doesn't seem to be listed anywhere as being signed.

The TE from Pitt on the list twice.   Additionally, I thought they signed the TE from Merrimack Dillon Salva.  

• Thanks 1

I saw the UDFA list in the other thread.  That's why I was asking.  I guess the UDFA thread was still just hearsay, not actual announcement of contracts.  He most likely wasn't going to make the team, but I was hoping he got a shot at least.

7 hours ago, armstrong001 said:

What Happened to TY McCulley from CSU-Pueblo?  He was on the UDFA list but doesn't seem to be listed anywhere as being signed.

A number of the reported players linked to the team may only be here on a tryout basis. So not officially signed