FaithnMonk

What to do with LG

What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

    • In Kouandjio we trust
      12
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
      33
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
      29
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster
      32

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

 

You are angry I get it, but you need to stop being angry with me. I asked you a rational question with specifics to support it. I am not rationalizing anything or doing anything after the fact. I said specially they may have a plan to move someone to G just not Christian. Also, they may just see Christian as someone that can move to Guard. Just because a bunch of ESers say he can't move does not make it fact. 

 

Ok you wanted them to get a G in FA. There are still opportunities to sign or trade for a player. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's also entirely possible they believe they have the G they want in house. I do not say that to be a smart ass I promise. I mean that sincerely. 

 

I am not the biggest fan of the organization and I still wish Bruce Allen would find a door to go out of. I believe most of any success they have will be despite him not because of him. But at the same time it does appear there are a few people with good minds that are being allowed to make decisions. This was a very good draft. They filled 2 majors needs in a big way and got some really solid depth and some STs players. And they were pretty smart in FA not going crazy but signing some key guys, including resigning some key players. 

 

Due to their frugality they still have money to make other moves. It's not September yet. Let's see what they put on the field and how it works. 

 

 

 

I'm not angry with you, I think that's part of the confusion here.  I have nothing against you, really I don't.

 

I'm angry with the Redskins, and I've been getting attacked non-stop since I made my feelings clear about that third round pick.  I woke up the next day with 19 notifications in less then 8 hours, and after I felt like I've cleared it up with anyone that responded to me, I come into this thread in peace and you quote me directly telling me I'm panicking and asking me what I would've done different (even though I've already said what I would've done different in other threads).

 

You're right, I do not want to hear that our answer is in house, because this is not the first time I've seen us take this approach with other positions and it backfire horribly (I see it coming and I'm not going to hide that).  I added an edit and tried to say in other threads that this was the only pick I did not like and that the first one is probably the smartest thing we've done this century.  I'm still going to take every decision on a case by case basis, because for me, this draft won't change my last chance feelings on Allen, our 2018 record will.

 

FA Market is for the most part dried up, so that means we're waiting to see if this works and look for a hopeful June-1st cut if it doesn't.  I'm going to stay optimistic, right now, this team is set to surprise some people, but I want to see that, I don't want to be a paper tiger.  Allen's approach to putting us in position that our cap doesn't get away with us is smart, but has holes, holes I'm not going to defend if I flat out disagree with them even if I defend my team on other things otherwise.  I'm sure you get that because you're telling me and showing me you're trying to take the same approach, just seriously disagree with me on this one (which is fine, really it is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Last I checked bill Callahan is still coaching up the o line right?... nothing to see here..

 

 

we've got 2 probowlers, a top 5 highest paid tackle, and we averaged 3.6 ypc @ 90.5 ypg... clearly there is a piece of the puzzle missing that even Callahan cant overcome.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ty isn't a guard. I don't see any way they try him there. They would probably be more likely to move Trent inside and play Ty at tackle. I don't think we wind up doing that either. I think we probably either roll with what we have and maybe sign Lauvao, or possibly sign a post June 1 cut. Next year, we probably take a plug and play LG relatively high. 

 

If we are putting our most effective 5 on the field, Trent at guard would be the answer imo. I like Welsh & I think Christian will get the chance to win that spot, but if everyone is healthy, I think our best unit has Trent inside. A healthy Ty on the left side has shown he can perform at a high level. 

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would absolutely make an aggressive trade to bring in the best vet we can get, even if it costs us a 2nd or 3rd next year. 

 

With the addition of Payne and Guise, along with Smith, I see no reason we can't win our division next season and make a run. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I would absolutely make an aggressive trade to bring in the best vet we can get, even if it costs us a 2nd or 3rd next year. 

 

With the addition of Payne and Guise, along with Smith, I see no reason we can't win our division next season and make a run. 

 

Mcphee is another addition thats easy to be excited about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be much surprised if we decided to switch Scherff to our left side of the line and plugs in Catalina or Kalis in the right spot.

 

That may sounds weird, but IMO that would be the best way to deal with the situation. Scherff is good enough to handle the LG duty.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

 

 

we've got 2 probowlers, a top 5 highest paid tackle, and we averaged 3.6 ypc @ 90.5 ypg... clearly there is a piece of the puzzle missing that even Callahan cant overcome.  

 

those are the people on the roster, last season they were rarely the people playing, we were also minus our top running backs and rarely reached a point in the game where we could pad their stats, wear down the D of the other team and kill the clock

11 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I wouldn't be much surprised if we decided to switch Scherff to our left side of the line and plugs in Catalina or Kalis in the right spot.

 

That may sounds weird, but IMO that would be the best way to deal with the situation. Scherff is good enough to handle the LG duty.

 

I also would love that.  Maybe not with Catalina

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, carex said:

 

those are the people on the roster, last season they were rarely the people playing, we were also minus our top running backs and rarely reached a point in the game where we could pad their stats, wear down the D of the other team and kill the clock

 

I also would love that.  Maybe not with Catalina

 

TRUE

 

 

As far as moving Scherff.. I'm not sure I want to.  The dude is a pro bowl talent at RG.  Why mess with that?  Obviously you want the best 5 on the field but if it aint broke....

 

Plus, I'd rather have a developmental guy flanked by Trent Williams than Morgan Moses. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

 

TRUE

 

 

As far as moving Scherff.. I'm not sure I want to.  The dude is a pro bowl talent at RG.  Why mess with that?  Obviously you want the best 5 on the field but if it aint broke....

 

Plus, I'd rather have a developmental guy flanked by Trent Williams than Morgan Moses. 

 

Sure that wouldn't be my first choice. But Trent + Scherff would make it a nasty Left Side. and right spot usually faces lesser opposition which could help the insertion of a new guy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wildbunny said:

 

Sure that wouldn't be my first choice. But Trent + Scherff would make it a nasty Left Side. and right spot usually faces lesser opposition which could help the insertion of a new guy.

 

 

Thats true.  I'd love to see what Guice could do running left behind Trent / Scherff / Sprinkle lol.   Not sure what that transition would look like, and it would truly concern me in pass pro from that right side.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I wouldn't be much surprised if we decided to switch Scherff to our left side of the line and plugs in Catalina or Kalis in the right spot.

 

That may sounds weird, but IMO that would be the best way to deal with the situation. Scherff is good enough to handle the LG duty.

 

Is there a difference with which side a Guard plays like it does with a Tackle? I thought you put your best pass pro T at LT bc you have a right handed Qb so he is protecting the blind side and RE is normally where teams put this best pass rusher. If we put Scherff next to Trent and a TBA/JAG next to Moses, we probably couldnt run right a lot and defenses would target the weak right side of our OL w blitz and stunts that would require us having to keep a TE on that side on blocking duty etc. Would probably create more questions than answers. 

 

Im hoping a starter level G or even a C become available June 1.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

I don't think they will be effective in shortyardage or at the goaline without real improvement in the interior OL.   

 

Guice makes his own holes. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

 

 

we've got 2 probowlers, a top 5 highest paid tackle, and we averaged 3.6 ypc @ 90.5 ypg... clearly there is a piece of the puzzle missing that even Callahan cant overcome.  

I get your point, but I know the injuries didn't help last year nobody could have done better than what he did with what he had... I tell you this I'm sure excited with that new kid we picked up..CANT WAIT!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

 

Is there a difference with which side a Guard plays like it does with a Tackle? I thought you put your best pass pro T at LT bc you have a right handed Qb so he is protecting the blind side and RE is normally where teams put this best pass rusher. If we put Scherff next to Trent and a TBA/JAG next to Moses, we probably couldnt run right a lot and defenses would target the weak right side of our OL w blitz and stunts that would require us having to keep a TE on that side on blocking duty etc. Would probably create more questions than answers. 

 

Im hoping a starter level G or even a C become available June 1.   

 

As of now, yeah, that would look like a problem. But if during TC Kalis or whoever seems to be playing fine enough at G, as Callahan and Jay I would give it a try to put that guy on the right and Scherff on the left and see how it works. Because if Guice is as good as advertised at breaking tackles and such, you would have a field day running to the left until the D find an answer.

 

I'd rather have a strong side and an average side than having two slightly above average side.

 

We've got months to train, and I would give that solution a try at least once and see how the unit evolves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arie is serviceable to say the least.  I would just have open competition during camp.  Honestly I think we will be fine here. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rookie said he would play guard for us, I wonder if that's an option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any major reason for panic here, we know we have 4 of 5 spots covered and a lot of time before the games begin to see if Arie can make the leap or if one of the other OL can transition there effectively.  I would have loved a shiny new LG but honestly every message board for every one of the 32 teams is talking right now about the need they did not fill, the way the draft and salary cap work almost guarantee that nobody can address every need.  I don't have faith in Bruce but I do like our coaching staff and I believe they will solve this particular problem before September.

 

I am interested in trade options though, not maybe for next years draft picks but we now have a surplus of DL and most here agree we would be happy to move on from McClain for one.  He has a very team friendly deal right now and was pretty highly rated in FA 12 months ago so maybe a player swap could be one way to add competition for the position although I really don't see a slam dunk starter being brought in at this point.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I'm not angry with you, I think that's part of the confusion here.  I have nothing against you, really I don't.

 

I'm angry with the Redskins, and I've been getting attacked non-stop since I made my feelings clear about that third round pick.  I woke up the next day with 19 notifications in less then 8 hours, and after I felt like I've cleared it up with anyone that responded to me, I come into this thread in peace and you quote me directly telling me I'm panicking and asking me what I would've done different (even though I've already said what I would've done different in other threads).

 

You're right, I do not want to hear that our answer is in house, because this is not the first time I've seen us take this approach with other positions and it backfire horribly (I see it coming and I'm not going to hide that).  I added an edit and tried to say in other threads that this was the only pick I did not like and that the first one is probably the smartest thing we've done this century.  I'm still going to take every decision on a case by case basis, because for me, this draft won't change my last chance feelings on Allen, our 2018 record will.

 

FA Market is for the most part dried up, so that means we're waiting to see if this works and look for a hopeful June-1st cut if it doesn't.  I'm going to stay optimistic, right now, this team is set to surprise some people, but I want to see that, I don't want to be a paper tiger.  Allen's approach to putting us in position that our cap doesn't get away with us is smart, but has holes, holes I'm not going to defend if I flat out disagree with them even if I defend my team on other things otherwise.  I'm sure you get that because you're telling me and showing me you're trying to take the same approach, just seriously disagree with me on this one (which is fine, really it is).

 

I meant to reply to earlier posts but just had time today. I did not mean the panic statement to offend, I was just following your comment. I don;t really disagree with most of your points to be honest. I think it's just a bit of over-reaction to this one position - albeit an important one. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand being seriously pissed at this FO. It happens to all of us at some point. Just for me this is not where I see getting pissed at them. Now had they gone through draft and not filled any holes or gotten players that really help the team then I would be furious. But they earned a little - very little - good will with this draft. Fact is T is more important than G and we are an injury or two away from being inf big trouble there. I was not wowed by Christian but I can see the pick. 

 

The other difference I see here is that the position coaches are better than what we had before. They are actually developing people, something that has been missing since Joe Gibbs left the team the first time and the second time. But Jay and his coaches are doing a much better ob of developing players. 

 

Do I think this is a great awesome way to go on LG? No. I would have preferred them find someone in FA. But considering they are making some better decisions, i am willing to see how this one turns out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Do I think this is a great awesome way to go on LG? No. I would have preferred them find someone in FA. But considering they are making some better decisions, i am willing to see how this one turns out. 

 

Fair enough, its all good. 

 

I agree T is more important then G, I just believe our current situation at T is very different then our current situation at G.  Either way, I've calmed down on this for similar reasons to your feelings on this whole thing and the fact that its done now, nothing I can do about it.

 

Like we talked about, I like Jay.  I get that its his job to make work whatever Allen gives him, but I know where Jay is in regards to making it work, he's not on the level of some of these other coaches that are better at working with what they got (yet).  That's not really a knock on him, that's just the reality of the situation.  And like you said, there's still time to see if they stick with this plan, whether it works, or what they can do about it before the season starts.  Offseason is not over yet.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skinsfan212689 said:

I believe Josh Sitton is still available. Not 100% but he’s be a good stopgap/bridge guy. 

 

 

he signed with Miami.... his name was the top of my list of FA to go after when Chi decided to let him walk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

 

 

he signed with Miami.... his name was the top of my list of FA to go after when Chi decided to let him walk. 

Ahhhh okay. I’m good with what we have in-house as well. He would have been my only free agent I would have considered for LG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/5/27/15700980/a-closer-look-at-kyle-kalis-with-maize-n-brew-redskins-nfl

 

Since there is all this back and forth, here is a quick link to why this is my pick to take a Guard spot. He was a 5 star recruit and got poor coaching and improved, but still went undrafted. The tools are there, he has a year of NFL experience and looked solid in pre-season. Another off-season of strengthening and coaching.

 

edit: fixed the link 

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now