What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Speaking of which.. i hate to be a nervous nelly, but holy **** when on earth does this team get a handle on injuries?

How the hell do you get hurt at OTAs???

This team takes so many injuries every single year, and the last few years have been horrendous. More than our share. More than what should be considered the normal level of attrition of an NFL season.

Agreed, it definitely makes you wonder.  For one, we know the field conditions at Fed ex have been pretty bad:

Among the viewers jarred by the roughness of the field was former Redskins offensive lineman Tyler Polumbus, now retired, who also played for Denver, Seattle and Atlanta during an eight-year NFL career.

“Having played on the Redskins field for 4 years, it blows my mind that they haven’t switched to turf…” Polumbus tweeted midgame.

On Friday morning, in response to follow-up questions on social media, Polumbus tweeted: “The field is a joke and a danger. Just go to artificial turf. Been this way forever.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/football-insider/wp/2017/11/24/redskins-call-threadbare-condition-of-fedex-field-a-non-issue/

Also, maybe the Redskins have been negatively impacted by a case of nepotism where duece gruden was the strength and conditioning coach last year. No doubt he is a strong dude, but is also young and inexperienced.

And I know someone else mentioned how the Redskins camp is relatively soft.  How long is it going to take before Snyder stops saying "oh gee what bad luck another injury" before he stops to analyze playing surfaces at fed ex and redskins park, the role the strength and conditioning coaches to get players prepared for the season during the offseason, and the approach the coaches take in July and August.  For someone who wants to win so bad and has such deep pockets, being cheap and negligent in this area is foolish.

Duece is gone... I actually talked to a coworker about this subject this morning.  Duece is a big guy, but a good strength and conditioning coach isn't pushing these guys to increase their max lifts.  He's developing the right strength, paired with physique, speed, length, and multiple aspects of conditioning.   Now I'm generalizing because I have ZERO evidence to support the idea that Duece wasn't doing this, but with whats happening it does make you wonder.... and even if these injuries seem fluky, you still see a lot of muscle issues that would appear preventable.  

48 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Wasn't Deuce just the assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach?  Seems a little too convenient to blame any of the injuries on him.

You are correct, Chad Englehart is the head s&c coach.  Not surprised to see a prior connection, having worked with Gruden in the UFL.

https://www.redskins.com/team/coaches-roster/chad-englehart

I have an out of the box solution to the LG problem, see if the Panthers would be willing to trade LG Taylor Moton a second year guy that I wanted the Skins to draft two years ago. He'll be on a rookie deal for two more years and he is projected to battle for the starting job in Carolina and since we have 11 picks next year I'd offer one of our 3rd and a 5th and see what they say.

6 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

I have an out of the box solution to the LG problem, see if the Panthers would be willing to trade LG Taylor Moton a second year guy that I wanted the Skins to draft two years ago. He'll be on a rookie deal for two more years and he is projected to battle for the starting job in Carolina and since we have 11 picks next year I'd offer one of our 3rd and a 5th and see what they say.

The problem with trading for a second year guy who was a second round pick is if Moton is who they thought he would be, they will want a Kings ransom.  If they don't want a Kings ransom, it makes you wonder why are they cutting ties with him so soon.  We cut ties with Cravens very soon, but only because he has a lot of issues.  

On 5/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, MassSkinsFan said:

No thanks to Incognito. He's a racist asshole. 

He might be a viable band aid in the short term but eventually he'd fail and do/say something stupid/racist/unacceptable.

He's what I'd call a six: a VI: a volatile individual

I dont think he's in a position to be playing football if his health issues weren't exaggerated.  So pass. 

But this team could probably use some agitators and nastiness.  Especially on the OL.  

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I dont think he's in a position to be playing football if his health issues weren't exaggerated.  So pass. 

But this team could probably use some agitators and nastiness.  Especially on the OL.  

Silverback, The Scherff and Roullier are super nasty players. Moses is too, just less obvious about it. Then there is ? - not so sure how nasty ? is. Waiting for film... I agree nastiness (on the field) IS a generally desirable trait for OL.

However, OL are generally some of the smartest guys on the field. Unlike DL, whose typical reaction to an asshole racist teammate is to grunt, fart, scratch, then go back to gnawing on a bone, OL will look at him and think "Man, he's nasty. But he's a racist asshole I can't trust. **** that." 

I'd love to see a poll of former OL teammates asking how many look back fondly on Incognito. L(OL)

DISCLAIMER: I have mental illness (major depressive disorder); this is not meant to stigmatize anyone else who has mental health issues. BUT...

I told you this guy was a 6!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23585573/ex-buffalo-bills-lineman-richie-incognito-undergoing-psychiatric-evaluation

BTW - not sure a psych eval will help treat being an asshole. 

Bills G John Miller (24 yrs old - 3rd R in 2015)

No one has any idea what the Bills offense line is going to look like when the team lines up against the Baltimore Ravens Week 1. At center, it’s expected that free agent signee Russell Bodine will compete against former backup Ryan Groy. If Groy doesn’t end up being the starter at center, he may then factor in to the John Miller/Vlad Ducasse/Wyatt Teller battle royale at guard. Meanwhile at right tackle, newcomer Marshall Newhouse will look to unseat surprisingly entrenched starter Jordan Mills.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/5/24/17387364/buffalo-bills-starting-roles-quarterback-defensive-end-receiver-guard-tackle-center-offensive-line

edit Ducasse may be avail but is 30, Ryan Groy is 27 (61.3 PFF grade last year).

Wyatt Teller they just drafted in the 5th R so I doubt they move/cut him or new FA Bodine. 

Bills and Cards seem like they have a plethora of interior OL talent. Im looking for other teams. 

I'm usually an optimist and don't complain a lot but I am worried about the O-line.  I kind of think we're overrated.  We're supposed to be great pass blockers but last year when Cousins wasn't as familiar with his receivers and taking a little more time he was getting killed (and sacked).  I'm afraid Smith will have this issue because it will all be new to him (new offense and receivers).  Then we have run blocking.  Everyone is blaming the running backs but when it is 3rd and like an inch, I never had confidence we'd get it, if anything, I expected us to lose yards. In that case, all you should have to do it plow forward but frequently guys were being hit behind the line.   While it could be the running backs, we've tried several, even some that are supposed to be more smash-mouth types, and yet had the same results.  Third and an inch and we're probably going to lose yards.  That makes me think it is more of a line issue than a running back.  Hopefully Guice proves me wrong but at the moment, I'm really worried about this.  Just hope it is a bad feeling not based on reality.

I would not use last year as a gauge of how good our OL is considering the issues with their health.  We did not have our starting line out there very often and when we did you had Trent playing on one knee, Moses with 2 bum ankles and even Scherff was dinged up though not to the same extent.  If those 3 are healthy and Chase takes a step forward at C then we do have 4 fifths of a great line but the LG position remains a concern.

Another guard hurt!!!!  Now I am doubly pissed about the draft, sometimes I really do think I could do a better job than Snyder or whoever is calling the shots.  At least I recognized what Cousins was early and I running starts with power on the line.  They should have made strengthing the center of line a priority and now the so-so guys they got are dropping like flies.

it doesn't matter if you draft Draft Superman at running back if you rely on Lois Lane to play guard and center the interior runs get stuffed.  I don't care if the new back gets more out of the holes between the 20's the Skins needed to add a couple of studs in the middle so they can punch it into the end zone and pick up a 3rd and short on the ground.  I don't give a crap about fantasy points or flashy backs  I want power in the middle!

14 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Another guard hurt!!!!  Now I am doubly pissed about the draft, sometimes I really do think I could do a better job than Snyder or whoever is calling the shots.  At least I recognized what Cousins was early and I running starts with power on the line.  They should have made strengthing the center of line a priority and now the so-so guys they got are dropping like flies.

it doesn't matter if you draft Draft Superman at running back if you rely on Lois Lane to play guard and center the interior runs get stuffed.  I don't care if the new back gets more out of the holes between the 20's the Skins needed to add a couple of studs in the middle so they can punch it into the end zone and pick up a 3rd and short on the ground.  I don't give a crap about fantasy points or flashy backs  I want power in the middle!

You keep saying this but you have no answer to what you would do differently than just saying draft guard. I laid out the options of who was available for then in each of the 1st 3 rds both with and without the trade.  You be the GM with reality not just in a vacuum saying draft G.  So I ask again now that you say you can do better tell us exactly what you would have differently.  Name the player and draft position.   

Archived