PCS

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

On 09/06/2018 at 9:12 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I can just hear it now, IF he doesn't produce over his first few games...

"Oh, maybe he shouldn't be going out and watching the Avengers"

"Dude cares more about Fortnite than reading his playbook"'

"Cares more about his Twitter feed"

I've seen it way too many times here.  The press and the fanbase love to tear down the ones they get all hyped about.

Pretty sure that kind of stuff will happen the first time the kid will fumble the ball or miss a hole or whatever...

It's cool reading about him being a fan favorite, but I'll wait to see him on the field before being in love with him.

Same thing if true for Trey Quinn.

Show me the yards guys and I'll have your 6 covered.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Do we have a reading comprehension problem here?

I said that the media and fan base built up RG3 only to tear him down.  That could happen here with Guice.  I didn't mention draft status, I didn't mention anything about a blockbuster trade. That's you interjecting your own viewpoints.

But the trade and draft status do have an effect on how likely it is for the RG3 thing to happen to Guice. RG3's enormous expectations and limelight were heavily affected by how much we gave to move up for him and the fact that he was a #2 overall pick as well as being a QB. Those things matter a ton, even more so than the fact that he was an outgoing, outspoken, charismatic media friendly kind of guy. IMO if Guice has problems or busts he'll get torn down some by the media and the Skins will get **** for not listening to whatever warning signs other teams did, but I see pretty much no way it would be nearly to the level of RG3. At the end of the day he'd be a late 2nd round pick who had high expectations but didn't work out. The media circus wouldn't last long I think.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The only thing that reminds me about Guice as to RG3 is this:  Just about everyone saw Luck as the #1 QB in that draft.  And RG3 #2.  Luck was sort of the robo-cop version of QB.  The perfect specimen.   RG3 had a lot more personality though than Luck.

Barkley -- the new Andrew Luck of RBs.  Supposedly the perfectly built RB who is marching right to the hall of fame -- just like Luck supposedly was.  Guice is sort of the off beat more fun guy/personality to root for.  Just like there were some outliers who thought RG3 > Luck  -- there were some outlier draft geeks who think Guice > Barkley.

I just posted something similar in another thread but I was one of the people on the draft thread months back who was daring enough to mention Guice in the same breath with Barkley.  I am not sure Guice > Barkley but I think they are close.  Guice might end up being the better runner.  What makes Barkley a fascinating watch is what he does in the passing game.  But I am comfortable saying Guice could be better than Barkley.  I don't know.  But my gut is both end up studs.

Like Luck, Barkley is a mega boring personality and might not live up to the perfect player description.  But actually where the Guice-RG3 dynamic is very different is that Barkley really gets all the national hype.  Guice gets a little but at the moment he's more of a local favorite.  RG3 was arguably more popular nationally from the get go.    And Barkley is getting the RG3 level hype -- they basically have a shrine to the dude on the NFL shop -- they are selling Barkley everything.

We got Gil Brandt saying Barkley is the most perfect RB he ever scouted or something like that.  He is now saying in part because of Barkley -- the Giants are one of the top 10 most talented teams in the NFL.  Every football magazine has Giants > Redskins.  All of this is really fueling my Giants hate (I always thought they were the most smug and arrogant team in the NFC East) and its gotten me into the Guice/Barkley dynamic.

As for Guice letting fans down.  RB is so much an instinctive position.  I don't think people are going to be thinking that Guice doesn't watch enough tape if he starts struggling.  If Guice struggles (and this is coming from a pro Jay person like myself)  the blame might go to Jay-Callahan who haven't really been able to run the ball well unlike the Shanny years or perhaps to Bruce for allowing the LG and lack of good TE blockers issue to fester. 

Personally -- not to jinx the dude -- I am not worried about it.  I think Guice is a stud.  And the fan romance with the dude is going to be off the charts once the season starts.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The only thing that reminds me about Guice as to RG3 is this:  Just about everyone saw Luck as the #1 QB in that draft.  And RG3 #2.  Luck was sort of the robo-cop version of QB.  The perfect specimen.   RG3 had a lot more personality though than Luck.

Barkley -- the new Andrew Luck of RBs.  Supposedly the perfectly built RB who is marching right to the hall of fame -- just like Lucky supposedly was.  Guice is sort of the off beat more fun guy/personality to root for.  Just like there were some outliers who thought RG3 > Luck  -- there were some outlier draft geeks who think Guice > Barkley.

I just posted something similar in another thread but I was one of the people on the draft thread months back who was daring enough to mention Guice in the same breath with Barkley.  I am not sure Guice > Barkley but I think they are close.  Guice might end up being the better runner.  What makes Barkley a fascinating watch is what he does in the passing game.  But I am comfortable saying Guice could be better than Barkley.  I don't know.  But my gut is both end up studs.

Like Luck, Barkley is a mega boring personality and might not live up to the perfect player description.  But actually where the Guice-RG3 dynamic is very different is that Barkley really gets all the national hype.  Guice gets a little but at the moment he's more of a local favorite.  RG3 was arguably more popular nationally from the get go.    And Barkley is getting the RG3 level hype -- they basically have a shrine to the dude on the NFL shop -- they are selling Barkley everything.

We got Gil Brandt saying Barkley is the most perfect RB he ever scouted or something like that.  He is now saying in part because of Barkley -- the Giants are one of the top 10 most talented teams in the NFL.  Every football magazine has Giants > Redskins.  All of this is really fueling my Giants hate (I always thought they were the most smug and arrogant team in the NFC East) and its gotten me into the Guice/Barkley dynamic.

As for Guice letting fans down.  RB is so much an instinctive position.  I don't think people are going to be thinking that Guice doesn't watch enough tape if he starts struggling.  If Guice struggles (and this is coming from a pro Jay person like myself)  the blame might go to Jay-Callahan who haven't really been able to run the ball well unlike the Shanny years or perhaps to Bruce for allowing the LG and lack of good TE blockers issue to fester. 

Personally -- not to jinx the dude -- I am not worried about it.  I think Guice is a stud.  And the fan romance with the dude is going to be off the charts once the season starts.  

I agree, SIP. :) 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 11:09 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

. … Some of them think it’s really cool to hang out with a Derrius Guice on a day-to-day basis during my free time to get to know who I am besides football. I think it’s really cool to really give them some of that at times and treat them sometimes. They give a lot of money to us and put a lot of money into the sport, so it’s not a bad idea to give some back every now and then.”

I have been MIA from the stadium because of the Caps. Stanley Cup winners Caps no less. :)

Thanks for the posting this SIP. The quote above reminds me of when I was a manager for McD back in the early 90's (hey it paid my college bills and not bad to be a manager of your very first job at age 20) and I use to tell the employees to take care of the customers really well because if the customers don't come then you won't have a job. These customers pay your wages. To see someone in this day and age and being really young to say something like this tells me Guice has a very good head above his shoulders.

HTTR!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Barkley -- the new Andrew Luck of RBs.  Supposedly the perfectly built RB who is marching right to the hall of fame -- just like Luck supposedly was.  Guice is sort of the off beat more fun guy/personality to root for.  Just like there were some outliers who thought RG3 > Luck  -- there were some outlier draft geeks who think Guice > Barkley.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Where I differ is the comparison between Luck/RG and Barkley/Guice. Guice was the 7th RB taken and quite a few analysts had him ranked behind one of Chubb/Michel/Penny. If you go back to the pre-draft thread there were quite a few arguing for us to take a different RB. This wasn't a clear cut two horse RB race, "Barkley #1, Guice #2, and then there are the rest..." like we saw with the Luck/RG draft.

Being that our rival snagged the #1 RB and we also got a highly rated RB, the comparison will be there for this fanbase. The difference is that the expectations for Barkley vastly exceed those for Guice; a #2 pick vs a late 2nd rounder. I know that I don't need to explain any of this to you, but although we here in DC feel this sense of rivalry and will compare the two, it's not the same nationally. I recently moved back to CT (terrible timing with the Caps just winning) and I went out with a bunch of buddies the other night. There were Giants, Jets, Pats, and Fins fans there, and very few of them knew much about Guice. They knew the name and all, but didn't have him anywhere near the pedestal that Barkley is on. I think this is a fair example of what the perception is outside of Redskins and LSU fans.

I believe Guice can be special and if he is then the comparison will be drawn for their careers. But for now, we're in the fortunate position of drafting a RB who we traded down to get and we're essentially playing with house money. If he misses, oh well, but if he hits then it's extra sweet.

EDIT: Thanks @Alcoholic Zebra for the correction, Guice was the 7th RB.

Edited by CTskin

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

I agree with a lot of what you say. Where I differ is the comparison between Luck/RG and Barkley/Guice. Guice was the 5th RB taken and quite a few analysts had him ranked behind one of Chubb/Michel/Penny. If you go back to the pre-draft thread there were quite a few arguing for us to take a different RB. This wasn't a clear cut two horse RB race, "Barkley #1, Guice #2, and then there are the rest..." like we saw with the Luck/RG draft.

FYI, Guice was the 7th RB taken.  Who knows what would have happened if Matt Barkley would've declared for the draft, but before he made that decision I remember there was talk of him vs RG3 as who would be taken after Luck.  Maybe his game would've been nitpicked to death and he would've fallen, but the media hype at the time had him as another elite talent.

• Like 1

What Barkley reminds me of, is Reggie Bush.  Insanely hyped prospect, best prospect ever scouted by some, etc etc etc.  Now, 13 years later, he had a good career, but two RB's had better careers from that draft in DeAngelo Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew.

My issue with Barkley, like Bush, is how insanely athletic they were compared to their fellow college players.  They were doing these risky things to get something out of nothing, because they could.  The talent gap will still be there in the NFL, but it will be smaller.  There's less room for error, and risks become harder to succeed with.

Like Bush, Barkley's floor as an all around RB is high.  Will he live up to that hype?  I don't know, honestly, I doubt it.  But I think at worst, Barkley still has a good career.

I think Guice makes a lot of the right reads.  He cuts up when he should and has the burst to do so.  He may not have as many breakaway runs, but I think he limits the amount of poor plays by getting a lot of 3 or 4 yard gains.  Guice and Nick Chubb might wind up being the best guys from this class.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2018 at 9:38 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am as excited about Guice as anyone else.

Call me cynical, but I am cautious.  We've seen this before.  A love affair with a draft pick, someone we think that can come in right away and make a difference.  He performs, we win, the feels are warm and fuzzy.

Injuries, poor performance, speculation in the media, comments made by that athlete that are unfavorable.  Love affair falls apart, nasty divorce ensues.

It would happen to any player (usually). Players like Guice would definitely be a larger target. Way larger.

"Engaging" and "Fan friendly" and "Always says what's on his mind" is always a double edged sword. All it really takes is some bad games, a strange tweet, a meeting with Snyder, a one sided portrayal of said meeting, some juicy anonymous locker room quotes.

Nothing really cynical about it, basically the same as pointing out that tge sky is blue. We've seen this enough to know the drill.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It would happen to any player (usually). Players like Guice would definitely be a larger target. Way larger.

"Engaging" and "Fan friendly" and "Always says what's on his mind" is always a double edged sword. All it really takes is some bad games, a strange tweet, a meeting with Snyder, a one sided portrayal of said meeting, some juicy anonymous locker room quotes.

Nothing really cynical about it, basically the same as pointing out that tge sky is blue. We've seen this enough to know the drill.

I don't get this. You're saying that you believe engaging and fan friendly players are larger targets than the opposite types of players? That's completely backwards. The media loves targeting players who are questionable off the field and tearing them down the second that they take a misstep. If Guice was a problem and had concerns, we'd already be getting knocked for it and WaPo would be licking it's chops at a chance to make us look bad.

13 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I don't get this. You're saying that you believe engaging and fan friendly players are larger targets than the opposite types of players? That's completely backwards. The media loves targeting players who are questionable off the field and tearing them down the second that they take a misstep. If Guice was a problem and had concerns, we'd already be getting knocked for it and WaPo would be licking it's chops at a chance to make us look bad.

Those are not mutually exclusive things (hello James Harrison)

And as me apparently saying that it all basically boils down to "Nice guys vs bad guys" in terms of the target/target size, no, thats not what I meant.

Basically, I mean big personalities. Anyone that separates themselves from the larger robotic team dynamic gets noticed. The higher your initial profile with the more people take notice (like if you're a QB or a starter, vs someone like 2nd stringer/special teamer)

This means being very socially engaging, not holding much back, putting more than player speak out there, being hospitable, charming,  etc.

The reason why every exec wants their players sounding like thr Terminator in the NFL, is because no matter what your intentions are, the more of yourself you put out there, whether "bad " or "good," the more you increase the chances of turning people off, in some part of American society. It could be something as simple as "He talks too much.... I don't like em." 

On top of that, if you start to err, those people will get loud, and start to influence others, and perception overtakes reality. The more you err, the louder things get. Being friendly with the media is much like paying extortion money, but most guys naturally are amenable. But no matter how "Good" or "Bad" you are, your magnetic presence means they always want to write about you, and it won't always be good, and if you give them something more, like a spat with coaches, losing your cool on the bench, etc, it has the potential to snowball. It always starts with something innocuous.

Think of it as a broad spectrum. On one side of the spectrum, you have Alfred Morris, and on the other side, you have TO. Both never been on the police blotter, fan friendly, nice guys in person, etc. One was quiet, unassuming, professional, the other was flamboyant, unfiltered and sensitive. 

That's really what I was getting at ✌

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What Barkley reminds me of, is Reggie Bush.  Insanely hyped prospect, best prospect ever scouted by some, etc etc etc.  Now, 13 years later, he had a good career, but two RB's had better careers from that draft in DeAngelo Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew.

My issue with Barkley, like Bush, is how insanely athletic they were compared to their fellow college players.  They were doing these risky things to get something out of nothing, because they could.  The talent gap will still be there in the NFL, but it will be smaller.  There's less room for error, and risks become harder to succeed with.

Bush is a good comparison.  I see him as a souped up Chris Thompson, can run but a weapon in the passing game and has the size to take the punishment.  He can take a bubble and take it to the house.  Like Bush (although he has the size to do it), he's not a great power/insider runner type.  I am really sick of the national love for him and the Giants.  So i am turned off by the dude now -- though granted its an emotion based bias. :)

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think Guice makes a lot of the right reads.  He cuts up when he should and has the burst to do so.  He may not have as many breakaway runs, but I think he limits the amount of poor plays by getting a lot of 3 or 4 yard gains.  Guice and Nick Chubb might wind up being the best guys from this class.

I think Guice's balance and vision might be more special than Barkley.  As for him being explosive, if he's the 2016 version of himself -- he's at least in the conversation with Barkley.  When there is congestion, Barkley at times seems to pause and look for a way around it, typically on the outside.  Guice I think makes quicker decisions in those cases -- he finds the crease and gets skinny to get through it. 

I know its out of bounds for some to compare any RB from this draft to Barkley but I am not shy doing it.   Will see.  I think Beckham will help Barkley and vice versa because I see Barkley as more of a weapon in the passing game.

This was Jeremiah before the 2017 season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000816965/article/first-look-scouting-lsu-rb-derrius-guice

Biggest takeaway: Penn State's Saquon Barkley is going to enter the 2017 CFB season as the top running back in the country, but Guice belongs in his company. He's an explosive runner with excellent balance and a tenacious style. He isn't quite as powerful as his former teammate Fournette, but he has a little more wiggle and elusiveness. I see a little bit of LaDainian Tomlinson in his running style, but he really reminds me of a young Frank Gore. He's a tough guy to get on the ground.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, CTskin said:

I agree with a lot of what you say. Where I differ is the comparison between Luck/RG and Barkley/Guice. Guice was the 7th RB taken and quite a few analysts had him ranked behind one of Chubb/Michel/Penny.

I get your point from the perspective of Guice being the 7th RB picked.

I disagree with your part of this about how quite a few had him ranked behind those guys.  Maybe Michel.  That was a late shift though.   Most had Guice as # 2 throughout most of the process.  Michel was gaining steam though, i recall Mayock and another draft geek or two leapfrogged Michel (I think Brandt?) right at the end over Guice even though Guice was previously #2 on their rankings. 

Jeremiah had Guice as the 17th best prospect in the draft, actually ahead of Payne ironiically. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928419/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-40.  I just looked at Brugler's last draft report, he had Guice #2. 

The only outfit I recall that had Penny over Guice was PFF -- to PFF Penny was the ultimate RB.  I don't recall anyone who had Chubb over Guice but if there was anyone it was an outlier.  I recall Riddick was a big Chubb guy so maybe him?  

Leyland had Guice actually over Barkley.  Brooks said Guice was the better runner than Barkley.   When it came to Barkley comparisons the only one that a draft geek or two would dare to compare is Guice. 

The way Kiper had them ranked here was a pretty common ranking for most of the draft season except many had Chubb ranked higher than Penny.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mel-kipers-big-board-position-rankings-top-2018/story?id=53475544

Running backs

1. * Saquon Barkley, Penn State 
2. * Derrius Guice, LSU 
3. Sony Michel, Georgia 
4. * Ronald Jones II, USC 
5. Rashaad Penny, San Diego State 
6. Nick Chubb, Georgia 

If you go back to the pre-draft thread there were quite a few arguing for us to take a different RB. This wasn't a clear cut two horse RB race, "Barkley #1, Guice #2, and then there are the rest..." like we saw with the Luck/RG draft.

I recall the draft thread well.  I among others talked about Barkley and Guice first and foremost in the fall.  I did like some other guys.  But I was a big Guice guy.  I probably posted on him more than any player on that thread and I had some company along with me.  I agree with the point about there being interest in other RBs, too.  But Guice got lots and lots of attention on that thread -- a chunk of it was from me but there were others. I'd bet that there are more posts about Barkley and Guice by far on that thread versus any other RB.

I know that I don't need to explain any of this to you, but although we here in DC feel this sense of rivalry and will compare the two, it's not the same nationally. I recently moved back to CT (terrible timing with the Caps just winning) and I went out with a bunch of buddies the other night. There were Giants, Jets, Pats, and Fins fans there, and very few of them knew much about Guice. They knew the name and all, but didn't have him anywhere near the pedestal that Barkley is on. I think this is a fair example of what the perception is outside of Redskins and LSU fans.

Yeah agree.  As you know, that was part of my point.  Unlike RG3/Luck -- this one right now is a one horse race nationally speaking.  I think that will change once the season starts.

• Like 2

@Alcoholic Zebra I agree with you. I think Barkley is going to have some growing pains. A RB who doesn't run inside the tackles is only going so far in the NFL. Especially with a crap line in front of you. 

Posted (edited)

I'll see if I can find the actual quote but heard on the radio Cooley and Sheehan paraphrase what Jay said yesterday about Guice.  It was more or less he's even better than expected and he's faster than he thought he was.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Alcoholic Zebra I agree with you. I think Barkley is going to have some growing pains. A RB who doesn't run inside the tackles is only going so far in the NFL. Especially with a crap line in front of you. 

Agree but I am not sure about the crap O line anymore -- I hope so.  But they signed the best LT in FA and arguably drafted the best guard.  We all talked some about Will Hernandez on the draft thread as you likely recall -- that dude at least you tube highlight wise is insane.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll see if I can find the actual quote but heard on the radio Cooley and Sheehan paraphrase what Jay said yesterday about Guice.  It was more or less he's even better than expected and he's faster than he thought he was.

Agree but I am not sure about the crap O line anymore -- I hope so.  But they signed the best LT in FA and arguably drafted the best guard.  We all talked some about Will Hernandez on the draft thread as you likely recall -- that dude at least you tube highlight wise is insane.  

True, but I'm not ready to stop talking **** about the giants oline yet. :ols:

Barkley was shockingly bad when hit behind the los last year. I'm not sure why that gets so overlooked. 

I'm still in wait and see mode from a psu RB. :ols:

• Like 3

Im not sure if I trust Gruden with evaluating backs.   He was high on Matt Jones a few years ago, all you had to do was watch Robert Kelly run and it was painfully obvious who the better back was.  

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As much as I like Payne Guice is the one pick that I have zero doubts will pan out.  

I feel completely the opposite about this.  DONT GET ME WRONG: I really like BOTH picks.  However, Payne is very young VERY STRONG and coming into a unit that STRAIGHT UP SUCKED last year after injuries.  He has a great coach to mentor him and a college buddy for chemistry.  For those reasons I think we will see Mr. Payne play very well this year and get better quickly. 

Guice could flourish if he wins the starting Job and we get the O-line situated, but those are 2 Iffs.  Im also not sold that we will be running a whole lot.  Honestly I think one of the other backs should start the season, that was we could keep Guice fresh for the mid-way point in the season.  Then insert and hopefully add a spark.  Unless he is immediately the best back.  Even then I would like to see Thompson get more work. 

Either way:  Lets all pray for no injuries!!

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's faith that Derrius Guice had that lingering injury in 2017. The fact he that he got 1k yds on 1 dimensional offense on a bum knee with the most stacked boxes out of his class & leading the SEC in rushing, outplaying Fournette splitting carries says alot #HTTR #Redskins

DflIVjGX4AAyxud.jpg

DflIWFWX4AEPtlz.jpg
DflIWkwW4AAUZeF.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Jay

On if he feels this is the best spot he’s been in at this time of the year during his tenure in Washington:

“...Derrius Guice is everything I thought he was and more. He’s a lot faster than I thought. He plays faster – explosive.

As for Guice, not starting, will see.  The beat guys seem to think he will.  Finlay/Tandler led the charge of hold your horses last year when it came to Perine starting.  They ended up right on that.  They are singing a different tune on Guice.

They have some insane clips of Guice on twitter from mincamp today including one where just leaps in the air like spiderman after a run.  Don't know how to post them here.

We got two pro bowlers on the O line, one border line pro bowler, decent center -- only issue is LG.  I think the blocking issues are really TE but I still think the #1 problem at RB was having Jags at the position.  I suspect Guice will do well. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

lol...why do you have the Soviet Union flag?...Comrade Мистер. зловещий.

200w.webp

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm still in wait and see mode from a psu RB. :ols:

#me too, when was the last great PSU running back...Curt Warner?

• Haha 1