Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama

PCS

We REALLY need to pump the brakes on some of these bloggers.  We all know Hood was out of position at NT, but that doesn't mean the way McGee plays would be better at NT either.

Also, already annointing Payne as THE best DL on the team?  Really?  Jon Allen's college tape was far better, the defenses production while he was healthy is undeniable, and saying Payne is right now clearly better than Allen?  Let's pump the brakes here.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:14 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I've become a bit of a cynic on Anderson after re-watching some games recently but not to the degree where I am throwing in the towel.   JP Finlay goes on 980 today, Anderson showed nothing last year.   I know what he meant after focusing on him in some games.  Hopefully last season was an aberration, I know he came into the season banged up so maybe he wasn't fully ready. 

I recall Jay mentioning before 2017 training camp that Ryan needed to get in better shape.  I didn't love hearing that it reminded me of Zorn saying the same about Devin Thomas after they drafted him.  I just figured its your first job, if you aren't going to care to be in shape then than when are you?  But supposedly Ryan is in good shape this year.

I would agree that his rookie year was disappointing, but he didn't play a whole lot. There were a bunch of guys in front of him, Kerrigan, Smith, & Galette.. I wish he would have made more of an impact but those 3 guys are the best edge rushers on the team, unless they're hurt they're on the field.

Anderson did well as a FB on goal line plays, as well as stoning OL and setting the edge. Obviously a small sample size but he definitely wasn't afraid to put his helmet on a guy coming around the corner. I think we'll see more of him and he will have more of an impact now that Galette is gone.

It'll be interesting when they want to go "big" at DL with Payne, Allen, Ion, Settle with Anderson and McPhee as the OLB's in certain situations.

8 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

I would agree that his rookie year was disappointing, but he didn't play a whole lot. There were a bunch of guys in front of him, Kerrigan, Smith, & Galette.. I wish he would have made more of an impact but those 3 guys are the best edge rushers on the team, unless they're hurt they're on the field.

Anderson did well as a FB on goal line plays, as well as stoning OL and setting the edge. Obviously a small sample size but he definitely wasn't afraid to put his helmet on a guy coming around the corner. I think we'll see more of him and he will have more of an impact now that Galette is gone.

It'll be interesting when they want to go "big" at DL with Payne, Allen, Ion, Settle with Anderson and McPhee as the OLB's in certain situations.

I watched almost every snap of his and he had his share of snaps in certain games -- trying to recall off the top of my head but If I remember the SD game was one of them where he played a bunch -- his impact as for pressuring the passer was almost zilch with a rare exception.  Galette, Ryan, Preston even when they weren't getting sacks at times were pressuring -- not so much with Ryan.    Cooley would beat him up on this count in his film reviews.  Having said that, by his own admission he was in poor shape last year -- and the dude isn't really an athlete to begin with -- heck Trent is faster than him on some measures -- so I'd presume being in shape means a lot to a high motor player like Ryan.  Supposedly, he's in shape this year and is raring to go.  I typically don't rule out a player after one year -- my take is lets see what he does this time, clean slate with me.

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What they said was Payne is ahead of where Allen was at the same stage of Allen's rookie year, which isn't quite the same as saying Payne is better than where Allen currently is.

Maybe?  I could have been reading it wrong.  I took that last tweet posted by Jay to mean Payne would be on the field more than Allen and more plays would be used to highlight Payne instead of Allen.

3 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

Someone was mentioning Snaps per lineman.  I was just wondering why people arent including Phil Taylor in the discussion??

Because it's been 4 years since the regular season began without him being on IR.

14 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Because it's been 4 years since the regular season began without him being on IR.

Good reason... But he is still on the roster and still on the team.  From what I was hearing last year, he was playing pretty solid.  He is also down quit ea bit in weight to take the some of the load off his legs.  I hope he makes a strong come back this year!

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Who is Richardson? 

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

I think he meant that DT Hankins from the Colts

I think he was referring to why we didnt sign Sheldon Richardson last year... with Phil Taylor slotted as our starting NT going into camp.  

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I think he was referring to why we didnt sign Sheldon Richardson last year... with Phil Taylor slotted as our starting NT going into camp.  

Damn...I had visions of Big Phil huffin' and puffin' as he trotted down the sideline trying to go deep, and the pass bouncing off his helmet cuz he didn't even try looking for the ball lol...

• 3 weeks later...

Everything written and said about Payne has been positive.  As a #1 pick you're expected to be a starter. He's doing his job.  Let him play some snaps and put some work on tape...be as excited as you want that Payne is showing something expected.  No need for me to feel either way about anyone saying Payne is better than this guy or that guy because he's got no NFL tape to look at for what it's worth.  

I'm excited about him.  He's filling a position of need and has the potential to fill out a position that is truly important for the attempt to solve the run defense issues. They did the right thing when they drafted him.  Two thumbs up for the use of that pick!  He's only got upside for what this defense requires to remedy the #1 problemo. 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:44 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Also, already annointing Payne as THE best DL on the team?  Really?  Jon Allen's college tape was far better, the defenses production while he was healthy is undeniable, and saying Payne is right now clearly better than Allen?  Let's pump the brakes here.

That's just opinions and no harm there.  I didn't see where Allen's college tape was far better than Paynes.  It's really not apples to apples.  I see them as both equally impressive and pretty neutral with comparisons. Payne is not clearly better then Allen.  He's not comparable at this level as he's not had any documented snaps.  I would even go as far as reserving judgements until the games count and there's game plan execution and a bit of tape on whether or not he is completing his assignments and winning.  Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently this thread title has a typo in it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37022/daron-payne-doesnt-need-hype-nor-an-apostrophe-to-dominate

It's Daron Payne.  The "Da'Ron" version was a typo back at Alabama.

Payne is quiet enough that he didn’t want to speak up at Alabama when an apostrophe was inserted into his first name, turning him into Da’Ron. He was listed that way from his freshman season through this past year.

“Just overnight one day it ended up with an apostrophe,” he said. “I never said nothing for a minute and then I finally said something. ... I didn’t think too much about it. My agent called me and was like, ‘Do you want it or not?’ And I said no.”

I wasn't in love with the Payne pick (liked him as a player but liked two guys more at our pick) but love what I've heard about his camp so far.    As for the Jonathan Allen comparisons.  Seems like the difference in a nutshell is Payne is the better athlete (bigger and stronger and faster) and Allen is the more polished, better technician, better hand use, etc.  I was much more hyped about Allen than I was about Payne. I still am more of an Allen guy.

Though ironically Payne was my first mention in the draft thread last year.  I do love the Bama defenders.  However, if Payne can figure out how to use his freak athleticism, he potentially could be a monster.  He did play like a monster in the Georgia game.   I said after we took him if Tomsula can mold him maybe it all comes together in a big way for him.  Looks like it might.  Still want to see it though during the season.  But he's off to a good start this summer. 

As Saban said

http://es.redskins.com/topic/421563-welcome-to-the-washington-redskins-daron-payne-dt-alabama/?page=15

"With him controlling weight, working on initial quickness, getting to be a better technical pass-rusher, moving his hands and using his feet at the same time," Saban said an interview with Keim. "He's a driven a guy, so he'll do whatever you tell him to do, and he'll work hard at it."

• 4 months later...

Archived