Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not sure what that proves. They picked one drill he did really well....and? His 3 cone and short shuttle were poor. Why not group him that way? What about grouping him with other interior DL by production? Because all of those put him at the bottom of the barrel.

Because short area explosion is the most directly relevant drill for an interior D’line.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not sure what that proves. They picked one drill he did really well....and? His 3 cone and short shuttle were poor. Why not group him that way? What about grouping him with other interior DL by production? Because all of those put him at the bottom of the barrel.

It measures his first step.  Payne has a very explosive first few steps.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yep.

James is a tone setter who can play deep centre but is better in the box. I think he will turn out to be have been a better College player than NFL player. Edmunds is a guy who has great athletic ability but what’s his NFL position? He’s a boom or bust type who might end up being a better athlete than player.

Payne for me has a chance to be a Pro Bowl type interior D’Line player who could be a better NFL player than he was in College. 

Well then we've drafted the BPA in your view so you should quite rightly be happy. Surely you can see why others wouldn't be though. He was probably my 10th choice at that pick. I'm not just going to be happy purely down to the fact we've targeted a position of need like you alluded to in your initial post. 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He who lives in a glass house...

Personally I don't like Cooley and rarely agree with anything he has to say.  And I definitely disagree with his take here.

Payne is going to be a good one.  He's better than Edmunds is right now and it wouldn't surprise me if he stays better than him in the long run because he's cleaner and better prepared for the league.

I’m not as down on Cooley as you, but he definitely has his flaws. He killed us for taking Kendall Fuller, 2 years later he was distraught we let him go.

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think he'll be a bust because he's such a hard worker apparently. I just think he'll end up being extremely mediocre but of course I REALLY hope I'm 100% wrong.

I don't think he will be a bust either.  Good player-solid-nothing special.  And its not because I don't understand that nose tackles by nature play to hold the point of attack, clog lanes, occupy multiple blockers -- play zero or shade, etc.  I get all of that.  But there are some NTs who just looked dominant in that role and are like that game in and game out.  You can see Damon Harrison just manhandle our line when we play the Giants and stuff our RB like he's a rag doll.  That to me isn't Payne.  In moments, yes.  But not a guy who just dominates like the big time noses at least my my observation.  My son is an Alabama fan, so I watch them everytime they are on TV and watched him some this off season. I am no expert but heck we are all entitled to opinions. :)  Can Tomsula coach greatness out of him.  Maybe?

I know some don't like it when people bust on picks.  And I can't recall really ever panning a first round pick by this team ever.    But Payne to me was worst case scenario at 13.  I said it before the pick.  So I am not going to go hooray Payne especially with one of my favorite guys still on the board with James.  

Only upside I see to it is if this is going to be a need based draft approach.  I presume RB is next.  And at least potentially I like a bunch of guys who might land at 44 at RB. Will see.

5 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Well then we've drafted the BPA in your view so you should quite rightly be happy. Surely you can see why others wouldn't be though. He was probably my 10th choice at that pick. I'm not just going to be happy purely down to the fact we've targeted a position of need like you alluded to in your initial post. 

Sure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but let’s not forget that we really don’t know anything compared to an NFL front office. I don’t take my own opinion on this stuff seriously, heaven forbid anyone else does.

The majority of draft boards have Payne as the 2nd best defensive lineman available in the draft. 

Jason La Canfora had the Redskins taking him at 13, but worried that Snyder and Allen might do something stupid with the pick...like taking a running back.

The more I look around, the more I realize that the Redskins didn't do anything bad with this pick, as this is around where many projected Payne to be drafted. 

Like I said before, could we have moved a couple spots lower, and still drafted Payne? Maybe, but then again maybe the offer wasn't there.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little scared of what's under the rock with Guice.  I think you might be right that there are some psychological issues.  It would be perfectly natural given he had a pretty traumatic childhood.

I don't like holding that against him, and I think he's probably a sweet kid.  But that doesn't mean I trust him.

I'm actually kind of hoping that another team drafts him and takes the issue out of our hands.

I'm probably more cautious because of my own ****. Just feel like if there really is something there, especially this day and age, with the kind of stress and unfamiliar situatiins rookies are subjected to, the  next 8 months are gonna bring it out of him. Can't hide that in the pros.

Archived