Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Kerrigan future HOFer?

bh32

40 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If there was a Hall of Very Good, Kerrigan would be in there. However, I don't feel is the game-changing player that you *should* be to make it in the HOF. 

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/hall-of-very-good.htm

Ask and you shall receive.

(Still pisses me off that Ken Anderson hasn't made it into the actual HOF)

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If there was a Hall of Very Good.

It's just outside Canton. In North Canton.  There's a drive-thru.

2 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Good catch. In fact, none of the Hogs are in this hall, either.

Hanburger is there, though. Maybe it hasn't been updated in awhile. 

Larry Brown's in there.  Jerry Smith too.

34 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

It's just outside Canton. In North Canton.  There's a drive-thru.

Larry Brown's in there.  Jerry Smith too.

Smith's omission from the HoF (as well as the aforementioned Ken Anderson & Joe Jacoby) deligitimizes it outright. Brown's career may not have been long enough to be seriously considered - though at may not be entirely his fault. He took some vicious beatings.

8 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Smith's omission from the HoF (as well as the aforementioned Ken Anderson & Joe Jacoby) deligitimizes it outright. Brown's career may not have been long enough to be seriously considered - though at may not be entirely his fault. He took some vicious beatings.

I wonder about Larry Brown’s health these days. He ran so violently. I hope he’s not a victim of CTE, but I fear he’s a likely candidate. 

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

I wonder about Larry Brown’s health these days. He ran so violently. I hope he’s not a victim of CTE, but I fear he’s a likely candidate. 

He was part of a story the Post ran on Super Bowl Sunday this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/they-were-the-first-redskins-to-play-in-the-super-bowl-decades-later-theyre-paying-the-price/2018/02/02/05d967c0-ff88-11e7-9d31-d72cf78dbeee_story.html?utm_term=.981ead57b8ce

Brown, who’s had both those knees replaced, doesn’t recall any concussions during his pro career and says he tries not to think about the prospect of CTE. “If it happens, it happens,” he says. “If I’d known back then what I know now, would I have still played? The answer is yes, definitely. If I had a son, I’d let him play, too.”

12 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Remember when we projected Portis to be the all-time rushing leader in one of these threads and then he had, like, 500 more yards and never played again?

Projecting 3 and 4 years out on 30 year old football players is a really bad idea.

Also, no.

Quoted for truth.

You've given me an idea for a thread.

21 hours ago, -JB- said:

He’s already 3rd on the Skins all-time sacks list.  24 behind Manley who’s #1. You telling me he ends up with the most sacks in Redskins history and he doesn’t belong in the ring of fame?  Pfft.

THIS.  As long as he keeps getting 10-12 sacks a season and keeps making pro bowls the dude is a LOCK for ROF. I actually think he has a shot at HOF as well based his stats which aren't that far off from those of JJ Watt who I assume everyone thinks will be in the HOF.  If he ends up with 100-120 sacks and a super bowl win I think you'll see him there eventually.

Is Ken Harvey in the Ring of Fame?  I would imagine so.  Either way, Kerrigan should be in the Ring of Fame based on his body of work thus far.  The team as a whole needs recognition (as in wins) for many of our players to get into the Hall.  Maybe Trent Williams has a shot overall.  

Here are the elite OLB/edge rushers of Kerrigan's era just to argue. Where does he fit in here? Harrison, Miller, and Suggs would seem to be locks for the HOF. Defensive player of the year types who won Super Bowls and made memorable players and all that jazz. I could see Matthews squeezing in some day based on his profile, family name, where he played, etc. It wouldn't be justified necessarily but I do think they give a little boost to the guys with commercials and such.

Justin Houston has played the same length of time as Kerrigan.

4 Pro Bowls vs 3 Pro Bowls

1 First Team All Pro vs 0

69.5 sacks vs 71.5

22 sacks in best season vs 13.5

James Harrison

Von Miller

Justin Houston

Terrell Suggs (Jesus, this guy just keeps playing)

Clay Matthews

Tamba Hali

Elvis Dumervil

Calais Campbell

Having said all that, if Kerrigan was in New England and putting up his numbers on a team that went deep in the playoffs every year, he might have a shot. But he's played relative obscurity on **** teams. You need to be an overwhelming player to make a Hall of Fame impact in that circumstance.

I don't see it.  While he's had some signature plays in his career, he hasn't made enough "we gotta have it" plays for the skins. 

He's never been the undisputed leader of the defense/redskins either---that doesn't help the HOF cause.  When FAs walk in and they're immediately the heart of the defense, you aren't the team leader.

Unfortunately no. Averaging just over 10 sacks a season is good, but not HOF good. 

When looking at his profootballreference.com webpage they have a spot at the bottom for "Players whose career was of similar quality and shape" and those names for their career are: Paul Spicer, Derrick Morgan, Jeremy Mincey, Bryan Thomas, Mike DeVito, Aaron Brown, Corey Liuget, Al Noga, Al Harris and Jeff Zgonina. 

It's a rough mix of years played + level of play, so it's not exact. All of those players were good, but not HOFers.  

On 3/28/2018 at 4:50 PM, Dan T. said:

He's vice president of a real estate company in maryland. Doing fine... 

Archived