Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Recommended Posts

Manny’s going to play the first four innings for us, get traded and finish the game for the Yanks.  Probably hit a HR for both teams. ;) That would be something to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what the game is going to be like when they start off the telecast talking about how much the pitcher has been struggling.  And the Os have 1 hit thru 5 innings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knock on wood for me, but I'm encouraged by the past couple Britton outings...I wonder if there's still a chance we could salvage some return for him. Given the missteps in holding onto him too long, the injury, etc. it would be amazing to even get a single prospect back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Knock on wood for me, but I'm encouraged by the past couple Britton outings...I wonder if there's still a chance we could salvage some return for him. Given the missteps in holding onto him too long, the injury, etc. it would be amazing to even get a single prospect back. 

 

The swing and miss stuff is coming along and the line drives are going down. I think the first team to offer a top 5ish prospect gets him. I think his value goes up every time he pitches so a team like the Phils would be smart to go after him now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

 

The swing and miss stuff is coming along and the line drives are going down. I think the first team to offer a top 5ish prospect gets him. I think his value goes up every time he pitches so a team like the Phils would be smart to go after him now. 

He's also the guy I think you can move at the very last minute too. Someone will always trade at the deadline for an arm (even if he won't close for that team). Manny needs to happen sooner than later, but Britton's value may still need to develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

He's also the guy I think you can move at the very last minute too. Someone will always trade at the deadline for an arm (even if he won't close for that team). Manny needs to happen sooner than later, but Britton's value may still need to develop. 

 

Yep - and since his deal is for 12 million, a few teams on a budget may want to wait a few more weeks to make sure he's got it back and they don't have to pay his freight. Let's hope a bunch of those middling wildcard grasping teams heat up right after the ASB! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

 

Yep - and since his deal is for 12 million, a few teams on a budget may want to wait a few more weeks to make sure he's got it back and they don't have to pay his freight. Let's hope a bunch of those middling wildcard grasping teams heat up right after the ASB! 

 

I also hope we're willing to eat some contract if it means getting a better player in return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Beckham with a gem at third!  There’s hope for you yet young man.

 

I assume you also saw the one he backed up on and made a terrible throw to first?

It’s become comical how bad a defensive roster this is. Two runs a direct result of bad defensive along with a few other base runners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hersh said:

 

I assume you also saw the one he backed up on and made a terrible throw to first?

It’s become comical how bad a defensive roster this is. Two runs a direct result of bad defensive along with a few other base runners

 

Yeah my post was mostly sarcastic because he’s made some really questionable plays lately.  It was a nice defensive play though.  If he could just do that consistently.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

 

Yeah my post was mostly sarcastic because he’s made some really questionable plays lately.  It was a nice defensive play though.  If he could just do that consistently.

 

It was a great play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

Beckham needs to go back to short when Manny is traded, with Peterson and Valencia platooning at third.

 

Yes. He's a SS and having him play 3rd is something I still can't get my head around. Was Machado going to fall in love with re-signing because he got to play SS?

 

Ugh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

 

Yes. He's a SS and having him play 3rd is something I still can't get my head around. Was Machado going to fall in love with re-signing because he got to play SS?

 

Ugh. 

 

Manny needed to play SS to increase his trade value. I think it’s worked. Lots of teams making offers. Phillies increasing their offer and wanting both Britton and Manny. This will put pressure on the Yanks. 

 

About the only positive of this season is that we know Manny will get a good haul and Britton will likely get a good haul too. 

 

I doubt Manny would come back but I still wish the O’s would make a real attempt to sign him in the off-season. Plenty of money to spend 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the haul would be the same whether he played 3B or not, especially the way he's hitting.  Not playing shortstop and playing bad shortstop are basically the same thing.  He played a quarter of the season at SS last year anyway.  Teams have seen him play out there.

 

He'd be the best player in baseball not named Trout if he were playing Gold Glove 3rd and mashing like he is.  

 

 

22 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

 

Yes. He's a SS and having him play 3rd is something I still can't get my head around. Was Machado going to fall in love with re-signing because he got to play SS?

 

Ugh. 

 

It was stupid then and stupid now.  It weakened two positions for no other reason than....well, I still cant figure out what the reason was.  I mean, I guess they didnt think they'd be THIS awful, so it was a hail mary.  

Edited by justice98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Phillies are in the lead for now in the Manny sweepstakes.  

 

If it doesn't get done this week, I don't think he gets traded.  I think the teams that have been in the running are going to get tired of dealing with the Orioles and look elsewhere for parts that aren't as good as Machado but also don't have to deal with the headache that is the Orioles and their process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think the haul would be the same whether he played 3B or not, especially the way he's hitting.  Not playing shortstop and playing bad shortstop are basically the same thing.  He played a quarter of the season at SS last year anyway.  Teams have seen him play out there.

 

He'd be the best player in baseball not named Trout if he were playing Gold Glove 3rd and mashing like he is.  

 

 

 

It was stupid then and stupid now.  It weakened two positions for no other reason than....well, I still cant figure out what the reason was.  I mean, I guess they didnt think they'd be THIS awful, so it was a hail mary.  

 

Except the Phillies are trying to trade for him to play SS as their SS isn't playing as well as their 3rd baseman. Teams needing a SS would not have traded for him if he was still at 3rd. Seeing the DPs he turned yesterday, teams were loving that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Anybody know who the color guy is today on MASN with the twang?  

 

I think Ben McDonald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hersh said:

 

Except the Phillies are trying to trade for him to play SS as their SS isn't playing as well as their 3rd baseman. Teams needing a SS would not have traded for him if he was still at 3rd. Seeing the DPs he turned yesterday, teams were loving that. 

 

So you're telling me the Phillies have seen him be the worst SS in baseball and that's what convinced them?  

 

They're trading for his bat at SS, where the upgrade is massive, not his defensive prowess there.  Kingery is a better SS than Manny (not by much), but then, everybody is.  Franco is at least serviceable at the plate at 3B.

 

The entire league knew he wanted to play SS.  Him being bad at it isnt dealing any deal.

Edited by justice98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, justice98 said:

 

So you're telling me the Phillies have seen him be the worst SS in baseball and that's what convinced them?  

 

They're trading for his bat at SS, where the upgrade is massive, not his defensive prowess there.  Kingery is a better SS than Manny (not by much), but then, everybody is.  Franco is at least serviceable at the plate at 3B.

 

The entire league knew he wanted to play SS.  Him being bad at it isnt dealing any deal.

 

Every team willing to trade for Manny now is seeing that he's getting better at SS the more he plays. His timing is better though he still has a mistake here and there but that will be gone as he keeps playing. If Manny is still at third, are the Phillies still trying to trade for him and immediately insert him as their SS? You certainly don't actually know that. Teams in the race are going to be looking for guys to fill specific positions, not gamble high prospects that someone might be able to handle a position or new role at this point in the season. I guarantee that the O's were thinking he would be more marketable trade wise if they switched him to SS. His ability to play two positions increases value. 

 

BTW, defensive metrics generally suck. Hopefully you aren't using dWAR. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.