• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      Greetings humanoids. Murf & I are here in the land of perpetual sunshine, oranges, & the world famous Florida Man.   

What a difference a week makes. One game, one single game, completely changed the look of this then 5-2 Redskins team. Last week against the Falcons they lost nearly the entire Offensive Line. Having to scramble, the FO was signing guys off the street in order to play the Bucs. 

There’s lots of factors that will play into what this M.A.S.H. unit of an Offensive Line will be able to do. As Jay Gruden said earlier this week, they’re teaching these guys OTA’s, Training Camp, & Pre Season all in about 5 days. 

Also to consider, it that the local weather will be around the low to mid 80’s. If any of these 3 new guys didn’t bother to keep in football shape, it’ll show up pretty quickly. If dehydration starts up, they have to start recruiting dudes from the stands to run/pass block. 

If this feels somewhat familiar, it may be because the same situation happened last year in Seattle. Skins went in there with a make shift O Line & came out with the win at the last second thanks to D Hall having some major hops & breaking up Russell Wilson’s pass attempt in the end zone. The difference was it was raining & cold there. In Tampa, anything below 90 degrees is considered cold. 

Today’s matchup should be interesting either way. 

zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts

I wouldn't read too much into his RZ struggles before training camp even begins. I know he struggled with that here, but the system and players he has now are new to him. I think the Vikings have too many weapons for him to have a terrible year. He won't have to do nearly as much in order to succeed with that stacked team.

Like others have said though, I am indifferent to his eventual fate. He didn't want to be here, and now plays for a different team, so he's just another in a long line of ex-Redskins.

@ExoDus84 I agree - there's too much in Minnesota for Cousins to have a bad year. I think the only way the signing is considered a failure is if he doesn't come through in big games. He's going to throw for a ton of yards and that team is going to score points. There will be 4-6 times over the course of the season/playoffs where he'll need to step up and win them a game. Does he do it or does he choke...that's really the only unknown right now, at least in my mind. 

No way. The Vikings were one win away from getting to the Superbowl. Why would you dump the guy who got you there and pay another guy a record breaking contract if not to win the Superbowl? The signing has to be a failure if Kirk doesn't win it all. 

• Like 1

The closer and closer it gets to the season, and more and more I hope Kirk fails in Minnesota lol.  I don't even know why.  I unfollowed him on Twitter like a week or two after he left because he was just really annoying on there in the off season, and when he's not your QB it makes it even more annoying.

<---- hating hard.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Kirk got to pick his team, one that is loaded with talent and appears ripe for a Super Bowl run, and for 84M guaranteed with performance bonuses he could get 90M and after 3 years he is an unrestricted free agent again holding all the cards.  I like his chances of winning a championship in MN.  If he wins 2 I think he goes to the HOF as a Viking.  His critics here will still be nitpicking and discounting his accomplishments.  I like his chances of 1 Super Bowl win and predict that if he wins it twice he'll also get the yellow jacket.

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk got to pick his team, one that is loaded with talent and appears ripe for a Super Bowl run, and for 84M guaranteed with performance bonuses he could get 90M and after 3 years he is an unrestricted free agent again holding all the cards.  I like his chances of winning a championship in MN.  If he wins 2 I think he goes to the HOF as a Viking.  He's critics here we'll still be nitpicking and discounting his accomplishments.  I like his chances of 1 Super Bowl win and predict that if he wins it twice he'll also get the yellow jacket.

Stop riding his jock, dude.  

• Haha 1

I'm actively rooting for his downfall - he's a fake. Good riddance to him. It'll be hard for him to fail though with guys like Diggs, Thielen, and Cook....I'm sure he'll find a way to screw up a big game for them though....maybe it'll top butt fumble?

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm actively rooting for his downfall - he's a fake. Good riddance to him. It'll be hard for him to fail though with guys like Diggs, Thielen, and Cook....I'm sure he'll find a way to screw up a big game for them though....maybe it'll top butt fumble?

Yeah, and you'll find a not so creative way to discount whatever success he enjoys

2 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah, and you'll find a not so creative way to discount whatever success he enjoys

Geez Grant...I didn't realize you posted on ES. 

Kidding aside, I don't blame you for thinking he's a good QB...I agree. I think he's good-not-great. I believe we screwed up in 2015 when we didn't figure out a way to extend him when he was still under contract and emerging. But, over the past couple years he really struck me as someone who was looking past the 2016 and 2017 seasons to the moment he could make history as a FA. 

That's not to say that I don't think he tried hard, because I think he's a good person and did his best. I just don't think he ever fully engaged with the team and completely bought in 100%. He strikes me as thin-skinned and someone who would rather drop himself in the ideal circumstances than be the catalyst to build something. Oh well, I too would take some pleasure in seeing the Vikings not get as far as they did with Keenum. 

Now, I think he's going to light up the stat sheet because essentially 20 QBs could do that in Minnesota. He's smart enough to follow the process to get the ball into the hands of some great weapons. That alone gives him a floor of about 3,800 yards and 25 TDs. But I am not convinced when he's called upon in crunch time to win a few games, that he'll come through. His season will essentially come down to a half-dozen key moments either in key regular season games or the playoffs. Should be fun to watch. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Case Keenum had a career year there last year, so Cousins better play up to his contract.....

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Case Keenum had a career year there last year, so Cousins better play up to his contract.....

Yeah or what?  Kirk makes at least 84M over the next three years and has probably as good a chance of winning a Super Bowl during that period as just about anyone in the NFL not named Tom Brady given the strength of the MN roster and his own talent, but however it works out, Kirk is guaranteed 84M for playing for the loaded team of his choice.  When his 3-year contract is over Kirk will still be younger than Alex Smith and free to sign with some other well-equipped team if he chooses since he will be a free agent, who has it better than Kirk Cousins?

Edited by Veryoldschool

14 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah or what?  Kirk makes at least 84M over the next three years and has probably as good a chance of winning a Super Bowl during that period as just about anyone in the NFL not named Tom Brady given the strength of the MN roster and his own talent, but however it works out, Kirk is guaranteed 84M for playing for the loaded team of his choice.  When his 3-year contract is over Kirk will still be younger than Alex Smith and free to sign with some other well-equipped team if he chooses since he will be a free agent, who has it better than Kirk Cousins?

I think we can all agree that Kirk Cousins won't be living on the streets anytime soon. Given the level-headedness (is that word?) that he's demonstrated, I think that was set in stone when he signed his rookie contract. 

The "or else" to everyone's statements about winning in Minnesota has to do with his image/reputation in my opinion. If he goes to a team that's ready to win now and doesn't win now then the consensus will be that he didn't get it done. And, barring extremely odd circumstances, that will be completely fair. 

Personally, I don't think they have to win a Super Bowl...but I think he needs to get them there once out of these next three years. That, in and of itself, will be tough. The next three years in the NFC looks extremely competitive. The Eagles are good. The Rams are good. The Packers should be right back to what they were with Rodgers back. The Saints are good. That's not even considering some teams that are perfectly capable of putting together a strong season less consistently, like the Falcons, Panthers, and Cowboys. 

So, if they don't play in a Super Bowl before his three years expire, he will have a proverbial black eye as a QB that didn't rise to the challenge. Again, that assumes the defense or running game doesn't take a major step back. If that somehow happens, then much of this is out of his control, but that seems unlikely over the time period. 

15 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah but that has nothing to do with 1) Whether people wish him well or not or 2) How GOOD a QB he actually is.

Right now you seem less like a fan of the man's playing ability than someone who should just go follow Minnesota and stop polluting the site.  I'd be absolutely fine with you if you just acted like you're a fan of the dude without having to white knight for him in EVERY aspect, even non-football ones.

"Who has it better than Kirk Cousins?" Why is that relevant? Are you living in his big house? Does he let you drive his cars around? Then who cares?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Yeah but that has nothing to do with 1) Whether people wish him well or not or 2) How GOOD a QB he actually is.

Right now you seem less like a fan of the man's playing ability than someone who should just go follow Minnesota and stop polluting the site.  I'd be absolutely fine with you if you just acted like you're a fan of the dude without having to white knight for him in EVERY aspect, even non-football ones.

"Who has it better than Kirk Cousins?" Why is that relevant? Are you living in his big house? Does he let you drive his cars around? Then who cares?

I think you would enjoy this board a lot more if you used the ignore feature to eliminate my posts from your feed, as I have decided to ignore you.  Adios!

18 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yeah or what?

Sorry, didn't realize Kirk's dad posted here.

I'll echo what TD said; Minnesota paid big bucks for him to come and get them to a SB. If he can't do better than Keenum, he's got big contract bust written all over him.

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Sorry, didn't realize Kirk's dad posted here.

I'll echo what TD said; Minnesota paid big bucks for him to come and get them to a SB. If he can't do better than Keenum, he's got big contract bust written all over him.

Right...

I don't know why @Veryoldschool feels the need to mention his money. Sure, Cousins is set with his $84M whether he goes 0-16 or 16-0 each year. We get it. The money is irrelevant really since he collected nearly $50M here anyway. 

But, from a perception and legacy standpoint, this is a big three-year stretch for Cousins. This isn't much different than Durant going to the Warriors (granted Durant is better than Cousins and the Warriors were champions already). But the "super team" idea is the same where a top FA chooses his destination and lands with a contender. If they don't advance further than they did with Case Keenum, it's bad. 

I do only think they need to make it into the Super Bowl (not win it), but that's splitting hairs. They can't go 10-6 and lose a first-round playoff game. 

Posted (edited)

"or what?" 

Vos thinks I'm going to put him on ignore.  No, I will clown him every chance I get.  There were people who were Jason Campbell fans, RG3 fans, whatever who were less bizarre to me and still were very pro-team even if they were mad at a coach or thought we were making a mistake.

GTFO. I think they call this "ghost-bully"

Edited by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

VOS is a veteran of the rg3/kirk war. That war made guys crazy.. still......they all served for us so weve got to make sure theyre fed some applesauce so they don't die. VOs is a war hero

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think we can all agree that Kirk Cousins won't be living on the streets anytime soon. Given the level-headedness (is that word?) that he's demonstrated, I think that was set in stone when he signed his rookie contract. 

The "or else" to everyone's statements about winning in Minnesota has to do with his image/reputation in my opinion. If he goes to a team that's ready to win now and doesn't win now then the consensus will be that he didn't get it done. And, barring extremely odd circumstances, that will be completely fair. 

Personally, I don't think they have to win a Super Bowl...but I think he needs to get them there once out of these next three years. That, in and of itself, will be tough. The next three years in the NFC looks extremely competitive. The Eagles are good. The Rams are good. The Packers should be right back to what they were with Rodgers back. The Saints are good. That's not even considering some teams that are perfectly capable of putting together a strong season less consistently, like the Falcons, Panthers, and Cowboys. 

So, if they don't play in a Super Bowl before his three years expire, he will have a proverbial black eye as a QB that didn't rise to the challenge. Again, that assumes the defense or running game doesn't take a major step back. If that somehow happens, then much of this is out of his control, but that seems unlikely over the time period. 

Agreed, Cousins and the Vikings will be disappointed if they don't win a Super Bowl during the next 3 seasons.  The Vikings let a well-liked, competent, QB go because they thought they had the roster to win a Super Bowl and wanted to maximize their chances for success with the best QB available, Kirk Cousins.  Likewise, Kirk Cousins passed up a much bigger offer from the NY Jets because he wants to win a Super Bowl and believes the Vikings offer the best chance available.  If the Vikings can stay healthy they have a good shot, but both parties will be disappointed if they don't achieve the goal because of injuries or whatever, this partnership was formed to win a Super Bowl.

Imagine things 3 years from now, Kirk has won a Super Bowl or two with the Vikings but decides their line up is depleted or long and the tooth and decides to sign a FA agreement with a team that is loaded for  2021-2023.  He'll be 33, younger than Alex Smith is today, and could pick a loaded team and sign for a king's ransom again.  I don't know what is going to happen but it would be funny is choirboy and afterthought Kirk Cousins turns out to the NFL's most highly successful hired gun!  I know this sound absurd but if Cousins can win a Super Bowl in Minny another loaded team needing a great QB will come calling in 2021.  As of today,  Payton Manning is the only QB to win Super Bowls with 2 or more teams.  Cousins definitely has shot in Minny and if he succeeds there he'll get a shot to pick another winner in 2021 thanks to his shrewdness in negotiations.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Agreed, Cousins and the Vikings will be disappointed if they don't win a Super Bowl during the next 3 seasons.  The Vikings let a well-liked, competent, QB go because they thought they had the roster to win a Super Bowl and wanted to maximize their chances for success with the best QB available, Kirk Cousins.  Likewise, Kirk Cousins passed up a much bigger offer from the NY Jets because he wants to win a Super Bowl and believes the Vikings offer the best chance available.  If the Vikings can stay healthy they have a good shot, but both parties will be disappointed if they don't achieve the goal because of injuries or whatever, this partnership was formed to win a Super Bowl.

Imagine things 3 years from now, Kirk has won a Super Bowl or two with the Vikings but decides their line up is depleted or long and the tooth and decides to sign a FA agreement with a team that is loaded for  2021-2023.  He'll be 33, younger than Alex Smith is today, and could pick a loaded team and sign for a king's ransom again.  I don't know what is going to happen but it would be funny is choirboy and afterthought Kirk Cousins turns out to the NFL's most highly successful hired gun!  I know this sound absurd but if Cousins can win a Super Bowl in Minny another loaded team needing a great QB will come calling in 2021.  As of today,  Payton Manning is the only QB to win Super Bowls with 2 or more teams.  Cousins definitely has shot in Minny and if he succeeds there he'll get a shot to pick another winner in 2021 thanks to his shrewdness in negotiations.

if kirk wins a ring with minny and then doesn't try to build something there, its probably the beginning of the nfl turning into the nba

go kirk  ThumbsDownEmoji.jpg

Edited by Gibbit

1 minute ago, Gibbit said:

if kirk wins a ring with minny and then doesn't try to build something there, its probably the beginning of the nfl turning into the nba

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

If they win a ring, the guy needs to stick it out (I agree with @Gibbit on that). 

To your scenario...imagine the opposite: Cousins and the Win-Now Vikings have 3 decent-but-unspectacular seasons, never getting past the NFC Championship Game. For Cousins personally, that will be incremental progress as he's only played in (and lost) one playoff game before. But, after those 3 years the Vikings and Cousins will be in a situation very similar to the Redskins...do they invest in him or move on? 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Cousins, the choirboy turned hired gun, unimaginable a couple of years ago but after 6 years on the Daniel Snyder plantation he clearly wants control.  When interviewed recently he was asked about how he was feeling and naturally he said he was loving things and then said it was the first time since 2007 when he picked Michigan State that he got to decide where he played.

Who knows what will happen during the next three years but Minny doesn't have the option to extend him after 3 years unless he agrees or they franchise tag him for 45M.  Kirk holds all the cards and yeah other players may follow his path and exercise great control over their careers but you have to have real talent and balls like grapefruit to play year to year like Cousins did.  Detesting Snyder and Allen were probably a big part of the equation in Kirk's case, but that is just speculation since every public utterance Kirk made was positive.

Edited by Veryoldschool

I think that type of action by Cousins would expand the reputation he has now locally of someone who isn't bought in or fully engaged with the team he's on. If he elevates his game and does taste meaningful success with the Vikings, he should know what's good for his legacy and reputation and sign another deal to end his career in Minnesota. 

Otherwise, he's going to retroactively be assigned a lot of the blame for how things ended here and then have to carry the weight of how things end in Minnesota. I know it's petty, but I'd like nothing more than to see him plateau there while the team regresses to the mean a bit. Three non-NFC championship game seasons would crack me up. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If they win a ring, the guy needs to stick it out (I agree with @Gibbit on that). 

To your scenario...imagine the opposite: Cousins and the Win-Now Vikings have 3 decent-but-unspectacular seasons, never getting past the NFC Championship Game. For Cousins personally, that will be incremental progress as he's only played in (and lost) one playoff game before. But, after those 3 years the Vikings and Cousins will be in a situation very similar to the Redskins...do they invest in him or move on? 

I have no idea, I guess that will depend on how close they feel they are to a Super Bowl then and also how much they have enjoyed the partnership.  Kirk may love it there and want to stay and be more than willing to put together a team friendly deal.  The Vikings ownership and fans may love Kirk like the Skins ownership and fans should've and be more than happy to continue the partnership.  Conversely, Kirk and the team may wish to turn the page, who knows.  I will be surprised if they don't get to the Super Bowl, Kirk's a winner and the team is loaded.  Philly is the biggest obstacle but they will be suffering from a Super Bowl hangover this year, I think it happens.

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Otherwise, he's going to retroactively be assigned a lot of the blame for how things ended here and then have to carry the weight of how things end in Minnesota. I know it's petty, but I'd like nothing more than to see him plateau there while the team regresses to the mean a bit. Three non-NFC championship game seasons would crack me up. 

You're right, that is petty but I have enjoyed watching some sports divas fail, but I obviously have high regards for Cousins character and want him to succeed.  My son got me a Cousins Minnesota Jersey for Father's Day, Skol!