zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (and all kirk related stuff---M.E.T.)

I think Cousins has terrible pocket awareness, and does make some bone-headed decisions at times. In the latter context, most QBs do, but I still wish the kid success. He's with a stable franchise and a very good HC, with a solid coaching staff around him. He's in a position to succeed and I hope he makes the most of the opportunity.

Was listening to KFAN here in MN on the way home from work the other day and the guy was making that argument that 1/6 of the way through Kirk's contract and he was ready to declare it a victory and a success.  Almost all of the callers agreed with him.  Honestly that seems to be the prevailing attitude that most of the Vikings fans I know hold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Was listening to KFAN here in MN on the way home from work the other day and the guy was making that argument that 1/6 of the way through Kirk's contract and he was ready to declare it a victory and a success.  Almost all of the callers agreed with him.  Honestly that seems to be the prevailing attitude that most of the Vikings fans I know hold.

Makes sense. They got a good QB without using a high draft pick or giving up assets in a trade (and most good QBs aren't available for trade). 

• Like 1

The dismal, putrid, possibly Voodoo-cursed Vikings defense had a pretty good game today,

Edited by TryTheBeal!

44 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The dismal, putrid, possibly Voodoo-cursed Vikings defense had a pretty good game today,

Yes and the running game is working.  Cousins helped them get a lead and Zimmer was content to sit on it.  The Vikings are looking balanced and proficient.

• Like 1

Vikings GM's plug support kind of reminds me how Bruce had Kirk's back 😮

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/06/vikings-g-m-dubs-kirk-cousins-phenomenal/

The Vikings, with a trio of their quarterbacks due to become free agents in March, opted to keep none of them. Instead, the Vikings signed free-agent quarterback Kirk Cousins, paying him $28 million per year on a three-year deal.

Through nine games, the early returns are positive, from the perspective of the guy who signed Cousins.

Via Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com, G.M. Rick Spielman called Cousins “phenomenal” at the team’s Week 10 bye. Spielman pointed out that Cousins has performed behind “six or seven” line combinations en route to 2,685 passing yards, an average of 7.4 yards per attempt, a 71.3-percent completion percentage., 17 touchdown passes, and five interceptions.

“I think Kirk not only has done extremely well in how he’s performed, especially when he’s been getting pressured in the pocket, but you see some of the throws that he makes in games, those are some throws that are unique,” Spielman said. “There’s not a lot of people who can make those type of throws.”

It’s more than the throws, in Spielman’s assessment.

“But it’s also how he’s developed into a leader of this football team,” Spielman said. “I know I’ve sat in a couple quarterback meetings where they’re sitting in there going over the game, and just sitting there listening to him talk, and being critical of himself and how he can improve. He’s always looking to try and get better. It’s pretty fascinating to sit there and listen to him sitting there breaking down game tape, and how important this is to him.”

It gets very important starting next weekend, when the Vikings have a pair of Sunday night games (at Chicago and vs. Green Bay) before a crippling cross-country road trip featuring games at New England and at Seattle, on a Monday night. Those next four games will go a long way toward figuring out whether the Vikings will make a return to the postseason in Cousins’ first year with the team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Bruce still had to “see more” last November.  Remember that Sunday nugget last season? 

I will never forget how much of a douche Bruce was and is.

• Like 2

Bruce is lucky that the vikings have such a tough schedule, and that we have such an easy one.

Also that the Vikings O-line and D regressed, and that ours improved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Bruce is lucky that the vikings have such a tough schedule, and that we have such an easy one.

Also that the Vikings O-line and D regressed, and that ours improved.

Drafting heavy on the DL that results in improved play from the DL is considered “lucky”?

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Thanks 1

No, I'll give Bruce credit/blame for our defense.

But he's lucky that the Vikings D got worse.  A super bowl win for Kirk in a year where the Redskins missed the playoffs would probably spell curtains for Bruce.

3 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

But he's lucky that the Vikings D got worse.  A super bowl win for Kirk in a year where the Redskins missed the playoffs would probably spell curtains for Bruce.

Current strength of schedule...Redskins 26th, Vikings 27th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Quick question:  Why are you clowning yourself so hard today?

• Like 1

I've never heard of that site.

Look at the Vikings' schedule going forward.  It's tough.  They will have a hard time making the playoffs.  Which is good for Bruce Allen.

12 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I've never heard of that site.

Look at the Vikings' schedule going forward.  It's tough.  They will have a hard time making the playoffs.  Which is good for Bruce Allen.

Hi Bruce! Didn't know you were a member on ES. :D

• Confused 2

I read today that Adrian Peterson said that he would like to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs.  I'm so hoping for a Redskins vs Vikings playoff game.  The storylines with Kirk and AP would make for great drama.

As a side note, I was one of the few Cowboys fans that made an argument for replacing Prescott with Cousins.  I feel a lot more confident about that "hot take" with how this season has unfolded.  Cousins has his flaws/dumb mistakes, but he is good enough to make a well rounded team a legit contender in the post season in my opinion.  

• Like 1

Kirk ranks 8th in performance YTD by this site which I believe is remarkable given how putrid his OL for the first 5 or 6 games.  An injured started returned and the OL run blocking improved.  Clearly, Kirk has benefited from having Diggs and Thielman to throw to and Rudolf is good also but from what I've seen Kirk is playing really well despite the pressure much like he did for the Skin last season.

Minn Star:  Ranking Cousins:

http://www.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-graded-the-no-8-qb-in-first-half-of-nfl-season/500057431/

19 hours ago, Tsailand said:

The year is not over.  

• Like 1

@Veryoldschool The Vikings this year aren't a Super bowl team, in my opinion.  I don't see them getting past the Rams and Saints.

I'd love to be proved wrong.  Not just because Kirk is a good guy who deserves nice things, but because a Kirk ring equals Bruce getting fired equals Redskins maybe becoming a real NFL organization again.

8 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

@Veryoldschool The Vikings this year aren't a Super bowl team, in my opinion.  I don't see them getting past the Rams and Saints.

I'd love to be proved wrong.  Not just because Kirk is a good guy who deserves nice things, but because a Kirk ring equals Bruce getting fired equals Redskins maybe becoming a real NFL organization again.

I agree with you the Vikings haven't looked like a Super Bowl team.  I saw the games and the Rams and Saints were better at the time but who knows how they will match up in January, the health of the roster, execution and other things can change from October to January.

so even though continuing this thread extends some of the dumbest football conversation on the board, no fault of the OP or kirk for that matter, it will be where all kirk related posting goes now

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2