zskins

NFL.com: Kirk Cousins tops biggest contracts (and all kirk related stuff---M.E.T.)

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Tagging is a response and keeps the dialog going. Or it should.

And John Lynch just sent Bruce Allen to school on what you do with a QB that you either have to franchise or give a long contract to.

And his started 5-6 games vs Cousins starting the entire 2015 season. Then again the 16 season. Then the 17 season. When he should have gotten it done after 2015 at the latest.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Tagging is a response and keeps the dialog going. Or it should.

But that's not what happened.  The team never made an offer after tagging Cousins in 2016.  The only offer they made was in late May of 2017, three months after the SECOND tag.

Edited by Taylor 36

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

And John Lynch just sent Bruce Allen to school on what you do with a QB that you either have to franchise or give a long contract to.

And his started 5-6 games vs Cousins starting the entire 2015 season. Then again the 16 season. Then the 17 season. When he should have gotten it done after 2015 at the latest.

Okaaaay lol...

1 minute ago, Taylor 36 said:

But that's not what happened.  The team never made an offer after tagging Cousins in 2016.

That's why I said "Or it should' lol...

Just now, Califan007 said:

That's why I said "Or it should' lol...

I get that, but my point in the post you quoted was that the team didn't come close to doing their part in negotiating.  Those trying to say Cousins is to blame are way off base.

13 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

I get that, but my point in the post you quoted was that the team didn't come close to doing their part in negotiating.  Those trying to say Cousins is to blame are way off base.

you said "The team never responded to Kirk's offer the season before." I responded that tagging someone is a response. Your second part said no dialog occurred. I pointed out that tagging someone is usually so that the dialog can continue. I'm pretty sure that, since Cousins' side was asking for a per-year contract that was slightly less than the franchise amount, the only way a dialogue would have occurred is if the Skins countered with an offer that was more than what Cousins originally asked for lol...because Kirk's agent wouldn't have bothered negotiating for less than the tag or their offer at that point, and the Skins wouldn't have bothered using the tag as an opportunity to pay Cousins more than what he originally asked for.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

you said "The team never responded to Kirk's offer the season before." I responded that tagging someone is a response. Your second part said no dialog occurred. I pointed out that tagging someone is usually so that the dialog can continue. I'm pretty sure that, since Cousins' side was asking for a per-year contract that was slightly less than the franchise amount, the only way a dialogue would have occurred is if the Skins countered with an offer that was more than what Cousins originally asked for lol...because Kirk's agent wouldn't have bothered negotiating for less than the tag or their offer at that point, and the Skins wouldn't have bothered using the tag as an opportunity to pay Cousins more than what he originally asked for.

The fact still remains, that if the team was serious about a LTD getting done, they would have done what every other team has done with FT and used it to keep the player from becoming a FA, but then offered a LTD in place of the tag and started dialog there.  They had several months to try to get a LTD done, but they did NOTHING.  They could have offered a LTD that was cheaper than the tag the first year or even two, as long as the the guarantees worked out.  They made no attempt to do this.  They offered him one LTD deal and that was in May of 2017, which was not even within a serious negotiating range.  Three years as a starter, beginning in September 2015, and one LTD offer in May of 2017.  That is major bull**** right there.

Edited by Taylor 36
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

23 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

No question that the 2015 offseason was the time to the job done, but the FO chose not.   Then they started playing chicken with the Franchise Tag, but Cousins' camp never blinked and that set in to motion the chain of events that led to where we are today.

11 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

The fact still remains, that if the team was serious about a LTD getting done, they would have done what every other team has done with FT and used it to keep the player from becoming a FA, but then offered a LTD in place of the tag and started dialog there.  They had several months to try to get a LTD done, but they did NOTHING.  They could have offered a LTD that was cheaper than the tag the first year or even two, as long as the the guarantees worked out.  They made no attempt to do this.  They offered him one LTD deal and that was in May of 2017, which was not even within a serious negotiating range.  Three years as a starter, beginning in September 2015, and one LTD offer in May of 2017.  That is major bull**** right there.

as a starter, beginning in September 2015, and one LTD offer in May of 2017.  That is major bull**** right there.

Agreed with the point about the offer following the 2017 season, but I think the FO did it knowing that it was probably not going to be accepted.  I thought it was stupid then again, but I don't think he's a $84M QB.  Time will tell on this one.  

Edited by SAli457180

Posted (edited)

Interesting stuff here, if you already didn't know.

Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith's contracts side-by-side: Who did better?

Comparing QB Deals

Here's a closer look at the contracts of Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins:

SMITH COUSINS
Signing bonus $27M $3M
Guaranteed $$ $71M $84M
2018 cap hit $18.4M $24M
2019 cap hit $20.4M $29M
2020 cap hit $21.4M

$31M

....Minnesota, though, was one game from the Super Bowl and has a deep core that should be together for the next several years. A quarterback -- even one ranked by some in the 10-15 range -- could make the difference. As such, the Vikings were willing to pay more than just about any other team, aside from the cap-rich and desperate-for-QB-help New York Jets.

Smith's contract is expensive up front in terms of cash flow and shows the staggering investment Washington has made in the position over a three-year period. However, it also puts the Redskins in a favorable cap spot at quarterback over the next few years -- provided Smith plays well, of course.

At the end of this coming season, the Redskins will have spent $84 million the past three seasons for their starting quarterback. That includes the $27 million signing bonus for Smith and his $13 million base salary this season. It also includes the $44 million in guaranteed money with two franchise tags on Cousins. The Redskins didn't want to pay Cousins' three-year, $58.5 million in guaranteed money at the end of the 2015 season.

More at the link here: 

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35994/in-contracts-for-kirk-cousins-alex-smith-new-teams-got-what-they-wanted

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

Did anyone ever flat out ask Bruce Allen why he doesn't pronounce Kirk Cousin's name properly?  I mean he talks to the media a lot and mispronounced it, and I would have thought SOMEBODY would have asked him.  Did that ever happen?

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2018 at 4:57 PM, purbeast said:

Did anyone ever flat out ask Bruce Allen why he doesn't pronounce Kirk Cousin's name properly?  I mean he talks to the media a lot and mispronounced it, and I would have thought SOMEBODY would have asked him.  Did that ever happen?

I dont think so. I was hoping it would happen. Is the final K in Kirk really that tough to say?? 

27 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I dont think so. I was hoping it would happen. Is the final K in Kirk really that tough to say?? 

It wasn't that he forgot the K, but he replaced it with a T.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It wasn't that he forgot the K, but he replaced it with a T.

That’s what i meant. That it shouldn’t have been that tough to where he said Kurt instead of Kirk 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That’s what i meant. That it shouldn’t have been that tough to where he said Kurt instead of Kirk 

I bet people in the media are too scared to ask him that question because Bruce is so petty and it could hurt their relationship with them.  I mean he won't even do interviews on 106.7 or with anyone on their because the Junkies have made personal attacks against him.  And it's probably only EB that has said anything bad about him.  

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What ?

Schedule isn't out yet.

Or is that what you're wishing for ?

Whenever that does happen, it's probably going to be a blowout like the last one.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What ?

Schedule isn't out yet.

Or is that what you're wishing for ?

There was a tweet a couple weeks ago that said that will 100% be the eagles home opener for that Thursday night game. I’ll post the link if i can find It 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/report-vikings-eagles-will-open-the-2018-nfl-season/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

Just to be petty. Here is some reporting on our ex:

Must've been a two-minute drill. :P:) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm seeing Redskins Twitter light up with glee as reports from Minnesota mini camp mention red zone struggles. As someone who now firmly wants Cousins to under-perform I still think we need to pump the breaks a little. As much as I'd love to see it, Cousins isn't going to go from a top-10ish season to being a bad QB. Gruden propped him up to some extent, I'm sure. But there are so many weapons in Minnesota that I think he's going to fall into 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. I just hope he offsets those numbers with some turnovers. 

BTW, I don't care if I sound petty...once a guy leaves here, I don't really care to continue rooting for him. There are exceptions, of course, but Cousins started to grate on me after a while. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

BTW, I don't care if I sound petty...once a guy leaves here, I don't really care to continue rooting for him. There are exceptions, of course, but Cousins started to grate on me after a while. 

For me, while I will have some sideline curiosity about Cousins' season, I am indifferent to his fate.

If he does well, fine. If he falls flat on his face in Minnesota, then fine too.

He's not a Redskin anymore, so his fate really doesn't matter to me.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

For me, while I will have some sideline curiosity about Cousins' season, I am indifferent to his fate.

If he does well, fine. If he falls flat on his face in Minnesota, then fine too.

He's not a Redskin anymore, so his fate really doesn't matter to me.

Don't get me wrong, I think that's the "right" answer here. That's how I should feel too. But when players leave (and especially when they seem to WANT to leave), my natural instinct is for the Redskins to ultimately be proven correct in the transaction. I know it's petty. I know it's immature. But it's how I feel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Don't get me wrong, I think that's the "right" answer here. That's how I should feel too. But when players leave (and especially when they seem to WANT to leave), my natural instinct is for the Redskins to ultimately be proven correct in the transaction. I know it's petty. I know it's immature. But it's how I feel. 

I know what you mean.

In fact, my main interest in Cousins' season is actually Redskin related.

If he does well, then it shows he became a good QB. If he has problems, it might show how much Gruden and his system propped him up.

It will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

My view on Cousins is likely very different from those I've seen so far, but here it is:

I actually hope he does well with the Vikings. one of my best friends is a Vikings fan, and my girlfriends dad is as well. So I'll definitely be cheering him on. I told my friends that I'll most likely be following 3 different teams this season: The Redskins (obviously), the Vikings (Cousins being on the team) and the Browns (Heck, they deserve a winning season and Baker Mayfield seems like he'll be a great QB for them). 

I'd be pretty happy for Kirk if he leads to the vkings to a super bowl championship

• Like 1