Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Stats like those don’t tell the real story

Josh Gordon exceptional playmaker receiver with a drug problem. When he’s on the field he is a difference maker

Perriman is a first round bust receiver who is still on his first NFL guaranteed contract. Meaning the Ravens who owed him guaranteed money cut him regardless. This is rare in the NFL

Floyd on the other hand is now on his fifth NFL team after being drafted in 2012. One of those teams was the Patriots so while your discussing not all Patriot moves working out for them include his name. The last time he played well was in 2016. 

Point is that neither of these guys are any good and neither has any upside to be hopeful for. It is a mistake to think that four other teams got it wrong with Floyd and the Redskins will get something out of him. It’s also wrong to think the Redskins can get anything out of Perriman because they have never shown they can draft a receiver and get him to play up to potential or exceed potential.

What has worked before for the Redskins is when they get players who show they can play in this league on other teams. There are/were other choices like that they could have gone with today like Gordon but choose the wrong path. Again

2016 is only one full season ago and more recent than Gordon's relevant season.  Also he never actually played a game for the Saints and ws only in their camp for a month and was only with the Pats for two games at the end of the 2016 season

23 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I'm not too concerned or overjoyed about the new WRs brought in, but really, they should be barely noticeable behind the 4 wideouts above them on the depth chart anyway. (and yeah, I figure by now, Mo will be 4th)

considering he actually made the team, yes I'd say so.  Assuming he's good to go

Apparently Antonio Brown is unhappy in Pittsburgh.  And someone alluded to Brown being "a product of Big Ben's play."  Antonio Brown responded with, "trade me and find out."  Now that screams to me, that he may be a "me" player.  But I'd trade Pittsburgh a good two of our three top receivers for him.  He's the best in the game IMHO.  What do you think?

22 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Apparently Antonio Brown is unhappy in Pittsburgh.  And someone alluded to Brown being "a product of Big Ben's play."  Antonio Brown responded with, "trade me and find out."  Now that screams to me, that he may be a "me" player.  But I'd trade Pittsburgh a good two of our three top receivers for him.  He's the best in the game IMHO.  What do you think?

He also didn't show up for practice yesterday. Love to have him, but don't see it happening.

29 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Hes the type of player that Snyder would trade 3 firsts for and then would come here and suffer a career ending injury in his first game.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Would love it. I was so unhappy when NYG drafted ODB3, and then recently extended him. :( 

A Brown in DC would be amazing, and he's a WR that you have to give 10+ targets per game to. Or if they double him all game, then Reed and others would EAT. 

Here’s my current thought (in case anyone cares).  

Good news -

Thompson and Reed are our best playmakers.

Smith traditionally relies heavily on TEs and backs.

Bad news -

Our two playmakers are very injury prone, and using them heavily can’t help that. 

Our receivers are not good as a whole, meaning (potentially) even more reliance on Reed/Thompson. 

Bright side - 

At least Smith spreads the ball around and we have Davis, and at some point Marshall (and Harris), waiting in the wings.  

Our receivers are not good, period. They aren't fast or athletic enough to create separation, with the possible exception of Crowder. Doctson looks slow and lost out there frankly. He'll have like one or two decent games this year but he won't give us what we drafted him for, which is a tall play-making WR who will make big catches.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

He's not a "me" player. You just didn't pick up the sarcasm. Though you're not alone, evidently so many took it serious instead of tongue in check that his agent had to come out today & explain it. 

1 hour ago, Skintime said:

He also didn't show up for practice yesterday. Love to have him, but don't see it happening.

Excused absence that was also overblown. 

• Like 1

Its gotta be the coaching.  I dont see any other way.. too loosey goosey around here. Scheme your guys open..teach these guys to be crafty in crossing patterns or something.  Wide receivers dont have to be great route runners or the fastest guys to get open..What are we doing out here? Sean Mcvay would have schemed to get them open..

Also I watched games where Alex smith couldn't get the ball to a wide receiver in KC to save his life just a couple years ago. It was game in and game out..Defense saved those games....

shortly after that, they drafted Mahomes. Maybe it's that too.. hes a downgrade unless you get him moving in and out of the pocket...

The running game has been terrible since Shanahan left.  No silver lining in sight.  The defense gets no pressure because if you can get pressure, you do it. You dont leave opportunities on the field especially when these guys are playing for big boy dollars. 

12 hours ago, TK said:

He's not a "me" player. You just didn't pick up the sarcasm. Though you're not alone, evidently so many took it serious instead of tongue in check that his agent had to come out today & explain it. 

Excused absence that was also overblown. 

Yeah, that whole thing got blown out of proportion.  It was clearly dripping with sarcasm to me. 

So I posted my thoughts about the game in the next day thread. With regards to our WRs, I think that since Garcon left, we lost those guys who can really go over the middle. Its what I would have liked to see from Doctson this year and what I've seen from Robinson on his few catches. We know Crowder can do it. 

I don't expect this to be  a kill em with the deep ball offense. We're just not built that way. I do expect to see at least 1 or 2 a game, but I also expect wisdom in those throws, so if they're playing the deep ball and giving you the underneath, maybe its better to throw it underneath and pray for some missed tackles. Unfortunately the Colts didn't miss many (?any?) tackles, which hurt our offense. But I'd wonder about these new guys (a) what does that say about Harris. Going into the season, I had my doubts about him making the team because he was 25 and had injury problems. People talk about Doctson's injury problems but at least he played 16 (now 18) games in a row. Harris (i know different story because he'a a UDFA with different expectations) is a guy I love and think can be a really good WR, but every year except his rookie year has been injury problems. And with the addition of the injuries to Quinn and Sims, I think it takes away guys who could possibly contribute on those underneath routes. 

I also wonder if Perriman and Lloyd will play special teams. That's a necessary thing since our teams is nothing special right now and they're not going to be starting. 

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

To be honest, it's part Alex Smith and our Receivers. We just need to alleviate the problem and get the best blocking receivers money can buy.

Its more Alex Smith, if the passing game struggles this year.  Big Cuz had the same receiving corp last year, minus Reed and Richardson, and threw for over 4,000 yds.   And behind a make shift offensive line and no running game.  

If Smith is as good or better than Capt Kirk then he should be able to work with them like his predecessor did.  In fact the two best weapons, in Thompson and Reed are available to him.   Neither one made it all the way through the season last year, so Alex has more weapons than the last guy.

Edited by Bishop Hammer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I posted my thoughts about the game in the next day thread. With regards to our WRs, I think that since Garcon left, we lost those guys who can really go over the middle. Its what I would have liked to see from Doctson this year and what I've seen from Robinson on his few catches. We know Crowder can do it. 

I think we lost a guy that you could count on to simply catch the ball when you needed it in a tough spot. Guys draped on him, contact, tight window, big 3rd down, I'd take Garcon 99 times out of 100 over any of the guys on this roster to just simply come down with the football.  The best hands on the team now belong to Reed, but he's a TE. 

And he protected the football.  Did you know Garcon had one fumble in 5 years as a Redskin?  Not lost fumbles, just putting it on the ground at all.  Crowder put it on the ground 6 times last year all by himself.  So far, in 2 games, no fumbles by a WR, so there's that.

24 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Signing a WR off the street tells me that they think the existing guys aren't getting open. They don't think the lack of down-field production is on Alex Smith.

Right the same group that helped the last guy put up 4000+ yds suddenly drops off in one year.  The same...exact...group? With added weapons? And most of these recievers were around the year before where they also was part of a unit that amassed over 4,000 yds.  Theres only one new ingredient this year.  

And as I recall a lot of folks were raving the recievers here made the QB.  That the system was so good anyone could be plugged in and get the same results that Cousins got.  Right now thats not looking like the case?

I'm not saying Smith is a failure because its only 2 games into the season but I don't see him putting uo high stats? The team may still win and make the playoffs, which I hope happens but lets not misplace blame.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bishop Hammer said:

Right the same group that helped the last guy put up 4000+ yds suddenly drops off in one year.  The same...exact...group? With added weapons? And most of these recievers were around the year before where they also was part of a unit that amassed over 4,000 yds.  Theres only one new ingredient this year.  

And as I recall a lot of folks were raving the recievers here made the QB.  That the system was so good anyone could be plugged in and get the same results that Cousins got.  Right now thats not looking like the case?

I'm not saying Smith is a failure because its only 2 games into the season but I don't see him putting uo high stats? The team may still win and make the playoffs, which I hope happens but lets not misplace blame.

I hear you. Loosing Ryan Grant and Pryor, then adding Richardson and Quinn should at the very least be a wash. I'm just saying that is what this move tells me THEY are thinking. Also, 250 yards per game averages 4,000 yards. It's not THAT spectacular. Smith is already on pace to surpass 4,000 yards. He threw for 292 against INDY. 

Edited by Stadium-Armory
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Listening to the Ravens beat guys tell it, the Ravens did everything they could to salvage something out of him but he simply cannot catch.

Now I concede that would be an issue if it proves to be true here ?

I'm staying positive on this move.