Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Perriman is a bust... Much like Doctson...

Gordon, minus the off-field stuff, and Dez, have actually balled out at the NFL level..

No comparison, but lets embrace the suck

you can't just say "minus the off field stuff"

43 minutes ago, Redskinscub said:

Our wideouts are very green and it is 50/50 whether or not Docson will ever amount to anything. I miss Garcon and DJax but they would have commanded a lot of $$$ and they are on the backside of their careers. 

Plus it's not like they just left.  Jackson had a down year last year.  If we had keot him we'd have spent all season hearing how we wasted money, signed the wrong guy and needed to cut our losses

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Plus it's not like they just left.  Jackson had a down year last year.  If we had keot him we'd have spent all season hearing how we wasted money, signed the wrong guy and needed to cut our losses

You are assuming that DJack's down year last year was because of him and that the results would have been the same here in Washington, with a QB and in a system he was familiar with and had success in.

You really have no idea how that would have turned out.  What you do know is that deep threat was desperately missing last year, among other things.  What you now know is that DJax is still a big-time threat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

• Those who know Gordon say his substance abuse problem stems from deep insecurity and self-esteem issues.

This instantly makes me think he isn't a fit. If our team's feelings are hurt by people not turning up for blowouts, I don't see how Gordon can survive 2 weeks here.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

This instantly makes me think he isn't a fit. If our team's feelings are hurt by people not turning up for blowouts, I don't see how Gordon can survive 2 weeks here.

LOL, yeah that MMQ article doesn't paint a good picture as for taking a chance on Gordon.    One suspension away from a permanent ban -- and the dude supposedly has recently been erratic behavior wise and has a hamstring issue -- not a good combination. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LOL, yeah that MMQ article doesn't paint a good picture as for taking a chance on Gordon.    One suspension away from a permanent ban -- and the dude supposedly has recently been erratic behavior wise and has a hamstring issue -- not a good combination. 

He wouldn't be the first guy with a permanent ban that we sign...

That's scary...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Doctson reminds somewhat of Amari Cooper.  Cooper was supposed to be the be all end all when he was drafted, and he never lived up to the hype.  The Raiders moved him to more of a slot WR role and he has improved a lot.  Crabtree is another WR that was drafted with high expectations and floundered for awhile until his role changed.

Maybe for Doctson as a last ditch effort, the coaching staff needs to give up on him developing into a #1 reliable WR and move him to another role.  Get the ball in his hands, even if it is on shorter passes and see what he can do in space.  

This is a really good post, Crabtree put up monster numbers in college and most thought he'd be a star. Instead he's just OK to pretty good, nothing more, but he was below that for many years.   But I'm not sure I see Doc as a slot receiver, seems what he offers is best utilized outside. 

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You are assuming that DJack's down year last year was because of him and that the results would have been the same here in Washington, with a QB and in a system he was familiar with and had success in.

You really have no idea how that would have turned out.  What you do know is that deep threat was desperately missing last year, among other things.  What you now know is that DJax is still a big-time threat.

Jameis Winston was unable to get the ball to him.  He had a rough go of it in his downfield passing game last year.   Fitz is always a star in his first year with a team.  So good for Jackson, but I agree DJack's down year had nothing to do with him.  He created separation but Winston did not target him, and sometimes under threw him.  

He would not have been a waste with Cousin's but he sure as hell would be in this Offense.

11 minutes ago, zealoustuttle said:

What WR corps?

Obviously Smith has no idea we have WR on our payroll

#FIREGRUDEN

In fairness, at least earlier in the game, Smtih appeared to be looking downfield but either didn't find an open receiver or they dropped it.  But let's not for a second allow last year to fool us, Alex Smith always has been a safe, short passer.  That's who he is and to expect anything differently is naive.  And that is why this team had zero chance late down 2 scores.  Think Colts fans would have felt that way had the score been reversed?

• Like 1

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

In fairness, at least earlier in the game, Smtih appeared to be looking downfield but either didn't find an open receiver or they dropped it.  But let's not for a second allow last year to fool us, Alex Smith always has been a safe, short passer.  That's who he is and to expect anything differently is naive.  And that is why this team had zero chance late down 2 scores.  Think Colts fans would have felt that way had the score been reversed?

Correct, sir. No way Colts fan ever feel like they are out of a game with Luck at the helm. Smith looks downfield, but his MO is to just drop it off in a checkdown. If a WR is not wide open past 10 yards he checks it down. Most of us knew that when we traded for him, but some blind supporters of smith keep pointing to his deep ball rating! They failed to even consider that Tyreek Hill is ALWAYS wide open down field. We do not have speed over the top and the joke of a HC has no confidence in Smith to have him actually call plays that go beyond 10 yards.

It is frustrating to watch every game and exepct DEATH BY THOUSAND CHECKDOWNS   T_T

We are going to get smoked by GB. The bye week cannot come fast enough.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Remember when Doctson got some benefit of the doubt because Patrick Peterson was supposedly shadowing him last week?  Who was shadowing him this week?

I hated that 1 dropped pass early on at the sideline, but I thought he caught a few more after that? 

As far as the quality of his routes later and deeper into the game? I can't say how he did. 

The other issue with Doctson is his #1 status.  No one is thrilled that Crowder seems to be washing out either, but his kind of role on the team is a lot easier to replace and/or if you had a better #1 and more tight end production, I bet you would see Crowder's numbers start going up again.  When it comes to Crowder we at least know exactly what he is and how to make him a productive WR.

With Doctson, he hasn't done anything to justify being the team's #1 WR, yet he remains in that role, doing nothing.  If you are the coaches you have to get into that film room and and put your heads together with the O-coordinators and draw something up that force feeds the ball into Doctson's hands to see if he is worth keeping around in any kind of role.  I feel like the current game plan and preparation is basically just throwing your hands up in the air when it comes to Doctson.  If the guy can't get open downfield, then start having him run different routes.  If you feel he is unable to do that too, then bench him and be done with it.

There are plenty of WR's who wash out as "The guy" but can fill in other roles.  Can Doctson do that? Who the hell knows, but they better come up with a plan to find out, and soon.  

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Jordan SchultzVerified account @Schultz_Report
FollowFollow @Schultz_Report
More

Two teams to potentially watch out for in the Josh Gordon sweepstakes: #Eagles and #Redskins. #BrownsCLEBrowns18.png

If it's between us and the Eagles....you have to believe we have the upper hand.  If I were Cleveland I would much rather take a draft pick from us than the defending Super Bowl Champs.