Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Ever since Alex was signed we hear a lot about RPO, getting him out of the pockets on rollouts & bootlegs, but it seems like that hasn't been happening much at all. When he has rushed or vacated the pocket it's mostly been out of necessity.  

I wonder if Gruden thinks defenses are anticipating that too much?

I'd like to see Alex Smith utilized in that way more.

Good stuff.  I think RPO is in his bag of tricks, but may think he is being too predictable doing copy cat stuff so soon, and is waiting to spring it on someone more unsuspecting.  

Jay may scheme up a lot of things I don't know about, but he seems fairly vanilla in his approach. He has done a few things with end arounds or misdirection, but wish he would do more.  Including throwing hurry up at a defense more often than when trailing by 17 with 8 minutes. Maybe just for a few plays to open a drive, or when a team has a big fat tackle on the field. And I want to see more rollouts etc if our OL pass pro is getting worked.

1 hour ago, Temper11 said:

If I had a dollar for every TIME someone predicted missing the playoffs with Smith (since his resurgence), I'd have a **** ton of money now.  (that's better - a much more powerful statement.  ?) The "sky has fallen" every year, since 2011 and Smith-led teams* have been to the playoffs 6 out of 7 of those years.  

*I include 2012 when he was knocked out mid-season.  Team was 6-2 and rollin'. 

Trying to recall who did it maybe it was ESPN but there was a ranking of offensive supporting casts in the league, KC ranked #1. They have one of the best running backs.  One of the best TEs and the best deep threat in the league.  Look at Mahomes right out of the gate with that same cast, he looks like Aaron Rodgers on steroids.  Check out the local KC coverage of their season thus far it practically reads of relief that the Alex era is over.   

This isn't to knock Alex.  I like him.  But the idea that the dude is just a winner seems odd to me.  Aside from the elite type of QBs, guys like Alex I don't think are carrying their teams into the playoffs.   It's a team thing and he does his part.     

Having said that, I am not as negative as some people are right now about him and the team.  I am not saying the critics are wrong, I really got no idea one way or another, but that they are premature.  Lets let the movie play out some.  If they beat GB or NO I think the mood on this thread and other threads will change dramatically.  I am not in the group that thinks GB will blow us out -- I think we got a shot and if they pull that off than the good will I suspect will return in force.  

41 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Good stuff.  I think RPO is in his bag of tricks, but may think he is being too predictable doing copy cat stuff so soon, and is waiting to spring it on someone more unsuspecting.  

Jay may scheme up a lot of things I don't know about, but he seems fairly vanilla in his approach. He has done a few things with end arounds or misdirection, but wish he would do more.  Including throwing hurry up at a defense more often than when trailing by 17 with 8 minutes. Maybe just for a few plays to open a drive, or when a team has a big fat tackle on the field. And I want to see more rollouts etc if our OL pass pro is getting worked.

Only thing I can think of as to why it's so vanilla at this point is that Alex is still getting comfortable with the offense. 

Yet another reason, as many have pointed out on these boards, why the starters needed more time on the field in preseason.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This isn't to knock Alex.  I like him.  But the idea that the dude is just a winner seems odd to me.  Aside from the elite type of QBs, guys like Alex I don't think are carrying their teams into the playoffs.   It's a team thing and he does his part.     

I don't think the fanbase mistook Alex Smith as "the man," or as a QB who was going to come in here and whip mediocre talent into shape, the question I have is more on the coaches & front office, as to why they thought the supporting cast of skill position players were good enough to compete.  I'll give them a pass on the Running game because Guice looked like he was going to be a stud before the injury.

However, going into the season with Doctson as the #1 WR has zero to do with Alex Smith.

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't think the fanbase mistook Alex Smith as "the man," or as a QB who was going to come in here and whip mediocre talent into shape, the question I have is more on the coaches & front office, as to why they thought the supporting cast of skill position players were good enough to compete.  I'll give them a pass on the Running game because Guice looked like he was going to be a stud before the injury.

However, going into the season with Doctson as the #1 WR has zero to do with Alex Smith.

I got no issue with blaming the FO, I've posted on the Bruce-FO thread as much as anyone.  I've done more than my share of criticizing the FO.   But I was addressing a post that read to me we should relax because Alex is a winner.   To your point, any "good" Qb, I think would be a winner with a consistently really good supporting cast.  Not so much without one.

But regardless, I am not judging him and this roster completely by 2 games.  I am as cynical as anyone that this is a playoff roster -- that's actually the heart of why I criticized the trade.  But I think 2 games in is jumping the gun.  And if they beat GB or NO, I think people will feel a whole lot better.  Granted this isn't a given but I am not ruling it out.  

3 hours ago, Temper11 said:

You may be right, who can know?  But every single time someone predicted the mediocre season they were bound to have, they always had a list of reasons just like the one you posted above.  If I had a dollar for every year someone predicted missing the playoffs with Smith (since his resurgence) I'd have... well - I guess I'd only have 6 dollars, I think I did that wrong. 

Let me try again...

If I had a dollar for every TIME someone predicted missing the playoffs with Smith (since his resurgence), I'd have a **** ton of money now.  (that's better - a much more powerful statement.  ?) The "sky has fallen" every year, since 2011 and Smith-led teams* have been to the playoffs 6 out of 7 of those years.  

*I include 2012 when he was knocked out mid-season.  Team was 6-2 and rollin'. 

With a much better defense and rushing attack. You seem to be ignoring those aspects and making this all about Smith. Those KC teams were just BETTER all around.

I mean, look at what is happening with the Chiefs now, with a guy that will push the ball deep? The offense has been scoring at a blistering pace.

27 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

With a much better defense and rushing attack. You seem to be ignoring those aspects and making this all about Smith. Those KC teams were just BETTER all around.

I mean, look at what is happening with the Chiefs now, with a guy that will push the ball deep? The offense has been scoring at a blistering pace.

Anyone that watched KC knows that the defense was bad... especially in the postseason collapses. I don't think they got one stop in both 2nd halves against the Titans or Colts. 

Look what Smith did in 2017 with that excellent support cast. He was tops in a bunch of QB stats that people yank to. No one was thinking he would be tops with Washington until they built up more talent, but at least Smith could be good not great. Turns out maybe the talent +/or coaching in DC is not what some were hoping for.

Still early though. 

What Smith did in 2017. Mahomes is doing even more, and good on him. Remember though, one of the first things KC did was go out and pay yet another WR a 3 yr 48 mil contract. I sure wish Smith had that upgrade. 

Mahomes also has an even worse defense now, so it stands to reason that the offensive output must improve even more. Mahomes is probably an elite QB on the way, granted, but it's very early to crown him just yet. Some QBs come out hot as **** and then something happens that makes them end up cooling off or fizzing out.

Smith is what he is.. consistent... predictable...  a good QB that will rack up a lot of wins for teams that are deserving of lots of wins. Is Washington going to field an adequate team to win games much? I dunno. If they don't, I won't be blaming the good QB, unless he just flat out sucks all by himself.. and that's not been Alex Smith for a lot of years now. 

There's one other paradox that has consistently puzzled me about the following, and this isn't the first or 100th time I hear it. 

- "Alex Smith. Good QB, not special. Not elite. Not going to wow you with several bombs per game. Not going to carry a team unless a very rare occasion."  ( I agree, by the way )

- "Coach's playcalling sucks. WRs can't be dropping those passes. The OL is completely losing at the line of scrimmage. Oh man, is that key player hurt again?" ( we have all been agreeing with this all week )

Then, what happens is, people get angry at the QB after a loss. Not some blowout, crushing beatdown loss. Just a loss. A typical loss where Smith throws for 255 yds, no INT, no TD, 70%comp, etc. Not a terrible performance. Just not impressive... behind all of the above mentioned. 

So the good QB, with all of the above mentioned as a support cast, is suddenly expected to carry the team? After the Jordan Reed fumble, was this good, not great, not going to carry the team QB.. was he really expected to come up with 2 TD scores.. with 5 minutes to go, no timeouts.. and this WR corps? 

I feel a a little bit better about our chances after having listened to this podcast.  It's about keeping it real, and understanding it's about humans trying to do their best as a team for a victory.

Smith is probably a good leader to rally the team after a loss.  I'm confident the team will be competitive.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Andy Reid is the best coach in the NFL from weeks 1-16 minutes 1 through 58 of every game.  He turns into Jim Zorn in the last two minutes and the playoffs.

The KC defense wasn't great the last few years, but Reid is as good a coach as there is in the NFL, at least during the regular season. 

It should surprise no-one that Mahomes is lighting it up. 

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Stupid on Steroids. 

Circling back to all the vacant seats at Fledex™.  Alex Smith won't fill the stadium on his own.  And that is ok, as anyone that knows his game doesn't expect him to. We are small injured green and thin at WR and such is life. I want to see Davis and Sprinkle get more targets to help him out.

That all said, I am actually looking forward to watching a Browns game.

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

There's one other paradox that has consistently puzzled me about the following, and this isn't the first or 100th time I hear it. 

- "Alex Smith. Good QB, not special. Not elite. Not going to wow you with several bombs per game. Not going to carry a team unless a very rare occasion."  ( I agree, by the way )

This is exactly what I'm saying. Which is why I've been talking about needing to upgrade the WR corps, get better run blocking because Alex won't loose a game for you, but he's not going to be able to win many either.

- "Coach's playcalling sucks. WRs can't be dropping those passes. The OL is completely losing at the line of scrimmage. Oh man, is that key player hurt again?" ( we have all been agreeing with this all week )

Gruden says he dialed up quite a few long passes, but we checked out of them. We don't know how many plays were changed at the LoS. WR's dropped passes, and why one guy in particular is still out there, I don't know. OL was ok in pass pro., but not so good in run blocking, but I've been saying that for years. And Lauvao:

A. Sucks (NOT a key player, should not even be here)

B. Is ALWAYS HURT (so we needed to plan for that)

Unless you're referring to someone else.

Some of this, you're just not going to know, as a new follower of the Redskins. But a lot of it is the same ole, same ole.

Then, what happens is, people get angry at the QB after a loss. Not some blowout, crushing beatdown loss. Just a loss. A typical loss where Smith throws for 255 yds, no INT, no TD, 70%comp, etc. Not a terrible performance. Just not impressive... behind all of the above mentioned. 

So the good QB, with all of the above mentioned as a support cast, is suddenly expected to carry the team? After the Jordan Reed fumble, was this good, not great, not going to carry the team QB.. was he really expected to come up with 2 TD scores.. with 5 minutes to go, no timeouts.. and this WR corps? 

Yep, he is. Sorry, but that is exactly what you pay a guy that is making that much money to do. Honestly, the game was over as soon as the Colts scored in the 4th. I think most people that are actually familiar with Alex knew he didn't have enough time to get 2 scores. The fumble just sealed it. But the game was over minutes ago.

I know what Alex is. A lot of people here got enamored with his 2017 year and thought he was a guns blazing type QB. He isn't. He's the opposite. People need to understand that, and that we need the WR group to really step up and the RB's have to be much better (and their blocking).

I don't think too many people if any are angry at Alex.  But the one thing from a fan point of view that Alex will suffer (and its not directed personally at him) from is plenty and maybe even most people won't look at him in a vacuum.  Whether its fair or unfair, he came to a place with some serious baggage and angst as for the QB position that actually goes back even deeper than Kirk. And the front office is front and center in that narrative.   

But moving to the next game, I am on the train of the thought that people are overreacting to the performance so far.  To me 2 games is nothing.  For all we know, Alex could light it up this Sunday and we will be talking about how this move is an upgrade and Alex is a winner again.  NFL changes dramatically from week to week.  I've not been blown away by Alex in the first two games but haven't hated it either.  Lets see what the dude could do over time.  I am not saying the critics or big fans of the dude are right or wrong.  I got a hunch of my own and its that he's a good QB but nothing special.  But I could be wrong.  The one thing I do know is 2 games is too quick to judge.   

Ditto all these diatribes going on from others about Jay -- look I get he's been here for a long time and the team has been inconsistent but look how can you say the team is inconsistent this year based on 2 games -- that's crazy to me.  Let things play out a little. ?

53 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I know what Alex is. A lot of people here got enamored with his 2017 year and thought he was a guns blazing type QB. He isn't. He's the opposite. People need to understand that, and that we need the WR group to really step up and the RB's have to be much better (and their blocking).

I literally didn’t read one person on here share that Alex was a guns blazing kind of QB or super aggressive. 

Unsure where his narrative comes from. It seems some read this on other mediums and assume it’s been said here. 

Look forward to Alex rebounding this week and turning things upside down here :) 

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I literally didn’t read one person on here share that Alex was a guns blazing kind of QB or super aggressive. 

Unsure where his narrative comes from. It seems some read this on other mediums and assume it’s been said here.

That’s where it gets wierd.  Folks post all sorts of charts, tweets, etc. that indicate he’s all these great things but then back off from saying he’s great.  But like I’ve said on several occasions, if Alex Smith is better pre and post snap, more accurate, a better leader and runner than our last QB, and <insert whatever else here> how is he not great?  Or damn near close to it?

Alex Smith seems like a really nice guy. That being said, the amount of "...but cover 2!" excuses I heard was bringing me back to the old Brunell years, where every week he would face questions about why we're not letting it rip and every time he would answer that he was seeing a lot of cover 2.

I didn't hear that excuse often (at all?) with Kirk here. Cover 2 is not some magically defense that takes away the deep game. If they're playing zone, you can run verticals or outs to hit the receivers in the sweet spot between the corner and safety. You can overload the zones with receivers, or run multiple receivers at different depths of the zones to get the zone defenders to commit to one or the other. If they're playing man, you find Reed, Thompson, or Crowder - one of them has almost certainly beaten their man, and they can't all be drawing double-teams.

This should not be some sort of kryptonite for your deep passing attack. Otherwise, teams would just play cover 2 against the elite QBs of the league and call it a day.

Also, my overall takeaway from last week is that we aren't as good as we looked week 1, and we're probably not as bad as we looked week 2. Let's see how we play over the next 3 games before making any definitive statements one way or the other.

41 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s where it gets wierd.  Folks post all sorts of charts, tweets, etc. that indicate he’s all these great things but then back off from saying he’s great.  But like I’ve said on several occasions, if Alex Smith is better pre and post snap, more accurate, a better leader and runner than our last QB, and <insert whatever else here> how is he not great?  Or damn near close to it?

2 games, let’s allow it to play out for 10 games or so. 

I can’t get into nuances of conversations that took place over last few months, was commenting that the overall sentiment in these forums from the “anti Kirk” people wasn’t that Alex is a gunslinging elite QB. It appears to be an attempt to use extremes to bolster opinions of past discussions. 

Speaking for myself, Alex and Kirk are average to above average QBs. Will be QB 7-20 depending on the year and team. 

1 hour ago, ncr2h said:

Alex Smith seems like a really nice guy. That being said, the amount of "...but cover 2!" excuses I heard was bringing me back to the old Brunell years, where every week he would face questions about why we're not letting it rip and every time he would answer that he was seeing a lot of cover 2.

I didn't hear that excuse often (at all?) with Kirk here. Cover 2 is not some magically defense that takes away the deep game. If they're playing zone, you can run verticals or outs to hit the receivers in the sweet spot between the corner and safety. You can overload the zones with receivers, or run multiple receivers at different depths of the zones to get the zone defenders to commit to one or the other. If they're playing man, you find Reed, Thompson, or Crowder - one of them has almost certainly beaten their man, and they can't all be drawing double-teams.

This should not be some sort of kryptonite for your deep passing attack. Otherwise, teams would just play cover 2 against the elite QBs of the league and call it a day.

Also, my overall takeaway from last week is that we aren't as good as we looked week 1, and we're probably not as bad as we looked week 2. Let's see how we play over the next 3 games before making any definitive statements one way or the other.

It was no excuse at all. He was making the point that with them playing cover 2 they should be able to run more and the stuff underneath should yield better results. Those are the plays you have to make to get them to loosen up deep and make a mistake. You can't just force it into deep coverage - something fans want but then get pissed when it gets picked. You have to run and get chunkcs underneath to get the LBs further up in the box. If you don;t do those well, can't "flood" zones with the receivers because they will have more coverage guys than you have receivers. You have to make them pay for selling out. Last week they did not. Poor blocking, poor decision making, dropped passes, the fumble. 

He was doing anything BUT making excuses. He was explaining what went wrong and why. And most of it was they played like ****. Not sure how anyone could get him making excuses out of anything he said. He was owning it 100%. 

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

2 games, let’s allow it to play out for 10 games or so. 

I can’t get into nuances of conversations that took place over last few months, was commenting that the overall sentiment in these forums from the “anti Kirk” people wasn’t that Alex is a gunslinging elite QB. It appears to be an attempt to use extremes to bolster opinions of past discussions. 

Speaking for myself, Alex and Kirk are average to above average QBs. Will be QB 7-20 depending on the year and team. 

I can say with assurance that "some" of the Alex is great crowd -- and we had a share of people who described his play that way even if they didn't use the term -- indeed said that Alex is an aggressive QB "when he needs to be".  The argument was a variation of the dude is just a winner, he's conservative when he needs to play that hand to win a game and can gunsling with the best of them and be aggressive when he needed to do that to win a game.  And I'd add if you don't agree with them than you are a hater.  

That's why I sarcastically every now and then use the Alex is all things to all people line -- that line is specifically directed at that crowd because that's how he was described.  And, that was the nature of the argument that was shoved at me and since I didn't buy it I supposedly hated the dude.   So I of all people remember it very well.  ?

I am not going to call anyone out but I've seen some tapering off of some of the positions from some from before. The idea that Alex is a conservative-good-game managing QB doesn't seem now like a hater position but instead plays into what we've seen so far.  And that's cool.    When the sample size increases or in this case you start seeing things for yourself opinions evolve. 

Having said that, just like I told the Alex is aggressive when he needs to be and can gunsling crowd --my mind is open to that but I need to see it and I wasn't going to just take their word for it especially when people who covered Alex described him differently.  I still feel that way.  I've been ok with Alex's performance in the first two games but haven't loved it either.  It comes off to me that we got 4 years older at the position AND downgraded.  And for my taste that's a bad combination.   I understand some others don't feel that way or obsess over the salary differences as if it were out of their hands -- to each their own on that.

But, its only 2 games.  I think its silly to paint the brush, yet.   For me, if we are going to get 4 years older at the position, we need to upgrade at that position or ANY position -- otherwise "meh".  And I am not ruling out that we haven't upgraded -- but I didn't think we did when the trade was made, I am even more solidly in that camp after watching the NFL the first two games.  And if anything I am giving a lot of rope on this because my point was never squarely on Alex but the match of him to the full roster -- if that combination adds to mediocrity or worst, it was IMO a wasted trade.  If however, they have some really good seasons, I like the trade, irrespective if Alex lights it on fire. 

For me I always think the Kirk-Alex argument is very relevant to the season because it will likely color the future of the FO so I am interested and judging by twitter and here plenty of fans are interested, too,  As for Kirk I've thought for awhile he's a good to very good QB and with the right supporting cast I think he can emerge for good in the category of very good.  I think we are seeing the very good version of Kirk so far in Minny.   But that's a sample size of 2 games.  So that story also remains to be told. 

The NFL can switch in a dime. And the GB game is the perfect set up for Alex to kill it and get some hero worship on this thread again like the off season.   And I suspect some might think I am rooting against that.  But far from it.  I am 100% in on any player on this team to rock especially Alex.  If he kills it and they beat GB I'll be giddy.  As much as I'd like to see change in the FO, its psychologically impossible for me not to root for them to win every game.  Felt that way when Vinny was here, too. 

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

Look forward to Alex rebounding this week and turning things upside down here :) 

Trust me, his 2017 and his #1 ranking in "air yards" came up a lot in the off season. There were 2 sets of people. People that though 2017 was just him growing, and he is getting better, and the other side that saw 2017 as a abnormality, and that he would revert back to his pre 2017 form.

and we had a share of people who described his play that way even if they didn't use the term -- indeed said that Alex is an aggressive QB "when he needs to be". 

And, that was the nature of the argument that was shoved at me and since I didn't buy it I supposedly hated the dude. 

Let me first say that you have been plenty fair and cool, more so than I expected at this point, @Skinsinparadise. Remember that. 

To the quotes above, I think there has been 1 person.. maybe 2.. that has expressed this. Has it really been shoved at you? Furthermore, I think that you may be interpreting the intent. The people that stated this ( I doubt I was one, but I can't say for certain ) was probably talking about both regular season games that really matter down the stretch.. or playoff games that are clear do or die moments. 

If my interpretation of their words is in this case better than yours, I will agree with that sentiment. I don't think we have seen enough in 2 weeks to really shatter or cement that position anyway. 

Moving along:

got 4 years older at the position AND downgraded.

For me I always think the Kirk-Alex argument is very relevant to the season because it will likely color the future of the FO so I am interested and judging by twitter and here plenty of fans are interested, too,  As for Kirk 

I agree with much of your words, and  not just in this post or thread. Truth. 

That said, there is every indication from many here that jaded opinions start off tainted, and that's just human. I get it. It sucks, but I'd probably feel the same way in your/other's shoes. Like others have said, the bitterness of Kirk is not going away, and once again.. Alex Smith goes to a new "forum" (thank Jeebus he doesn't have anything to do with social media) that has instantly has that axe to grind against him. 

2 weeks in and lots more to go. I am hoping of course for a win, because this place has been depressing as **** since Sunday. :) 

Archived