Veryoldschool

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith!

10 hours ago, bobandweave said:

So did I until it became clear he was lying the past two seasons. Knowing that he waited for free agency since then and it was his plan all along (his words not mine) then I realized I had been worked and we all had been worked. That removed my belief in anything he said the past two seasons and showed we were all suckers to buy what he was selling

We've been through this rodeo many times on Kirk so I don't want to debate.  I'll just say this as much as you trash Bruce Allen.  I do it, too.  The Redskins are just a hobby for us.  Imagine if your fate, contract, team building, future was all in his hands.  And you didn't grow up a Redskins fan.  And you were supposedly not always treated that nicely as to what is said about you to your agent by said team president including the public trashing last summer.   And your agent told you, look there are other teams who will value you and are run much better.  Would that really be that tough of a choice?    Grant Paulsen who arguably knows Kirk better than any other media member summed it up succinctly. That is, only one reason why Kirk wasn't itching to come back -- Bruce Allen.

9 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I don’t get this. Not that I don’t understand what your saying rather why you think that for this team that there isn’t always pressure to win now no matter what the QB age is. Truth is this is not a team like the Steelers who rarely change coaches or the Browns or Bengals who no matter if they lose or not they keep the coaches. This team is owned by a guy who isn’t afraid to make changes. The only way to keep things the same are to win.

like I just posted to someone before your posts.  If the idea here is this:

A.  Don't worry about championships.  That's not happening here with Dan in charge.  If you want this team to stay competitive that's your only hope to keep Jay.  Than yeah it makes total sense.  I have my heights higher than the 8-8 range and maybe once every 4 years we can sneak in the playoffs and lose in the first round.   But if that's the Redskins new definition of glory -- then it was a good move.  I am not to that degree cynical about ownership yet but I am not that far removed from it either.  So I can be convinced of it.

None of that is a hit on by the way Alex Smith but a hit on the roster.  If I were Jacksonville or Minny, I'd like the move.  But we don't have those rosters.

Is it something about Alex Smiths game that makes you feel that way or is it just his age? Alex is younger then 

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Phillip Rivers

Ben R. 

You got 4 sure fire Hall of Famers in that list.  Rivers and Eli maybe borderline.  Eli has stunk for years now IMO.  I've watched just about every game of his and the drop is very notciable.  His play is a case in point.  He's not that same.  I like Alex but he's not even sniffing the hall of fame unless he has a major run with the Redskins.  So he's not their caliber aside from Eli.

We've acquired in trades for almost the same compensation 2 other 34 QBs -- Brunell and McNabb.  Like Alex Smith, Brunell and McNabb relied a lot on their legs as a big part of their game. Alex as Cooley likes to point out takes his shares of hits and sacks.

We've seen plenty of QBs drop off at 36.  Some earlier than that.  Some of the greats have played great beyond. As for where does Alex Smith fit in - you got me.  I don't know.  But I am just not banking on a long career for the dude.  It's a wild card IMO. 

And heck the team that had the dude in house -- traded up to get a young QB and traded Alex.  So I don't think I am going on some wild leap that Alex maybe isn't the next Drew Brees playing great into his late 30s.  But again, I am not saying he won't be either.  I don't think we have any clue.  If you have a QB in their prime -- this is a lesser worry. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I don’t get this. Not that I don’t understand what your saying rather why you think that for this team that there isn’t always pressure to win now no matter what the QB age is. Truth is this is not a team like the Steelers who rarely change coaches or the Browns or Bengals who no matter if they lose or not they keep the coaches. This team is owned by a guy who isn’t afraid to make changes. The only way to keep things the same are to win. Or changes are coming and people are going to be looking for jobs. The QB age doesn’t change or alter that 

Is it something about Alex Smiths game that makes you feel that way or is it just his age? Alex is younger then 

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Phillip Rivers

Ben R. 

Today, and he is a year older then Matt Ryan who just signed a LTD. And the same age as Joe Flacco.

The ages of starting QBs with the less hits they are taking and better training and healthly living are going longer then ever before. It user to be that at 33 a guy was almost over the hill but not anymore. Times have changed

There is of course always pressure to win now. But there are different expectations. The point @Skinsinparadise is making - and has been for some time - is that the other approach to take after you let Kirk walk is to get a rookie QB and take some growing pain lumps as you build long term. That is a more patient approach than trading for an aging QB - and we can say 34 is not that old all day but the fact is he is on the wrong side of the middle of his NFL career.

Providing that list of guys older does not help the case. Five of those QBs that are older won SBs with their teams. The other two guys Flacco - has not been good for a while but he did win a SB for his team. Ryan just got a contract but living here is Atl I can tell you the fans are not exactly thrilled. Some are of course. But many are concerned that he is not good enough to win a SB - but he at least got his team to the SB.  Alex Smith is a decent QB but at least to this point he is not any of those guys. The trade itself reeks of desperation when in fairness there are other areas where they are being much more patient - a good thing to me.

I did not and do not hate the trade - said so the day it was announced. But I can certainly see the argument for going young and using that extra CAP to build a team and let them grow together. If you had say even Colt starting with a young guy you could have easily had Hankins and Cromartie and had no CAP issues. This allows you to go QB in the 1st and not need a Payne. Yes it's a gamble but but if it fails miserably you will get another chance next year. And that's the point. The feeling is - fair or not - that Bruce engineered this in an attempt to save his job or at least save some face after botching things with Kirk Cousins. Not trying to start that conversation again - only as it pertains to this topic. The way it ended with Kirk had a major impact on this course of action over a more patient one. 

Again, I like Alex Smith. I think he is a good QB. And who knows, Jay does pretty well with QBs. Maybe this is the HC Alex needed. I will say it has been mentioned more than once that he is a more a true leader than Kirk. Hope he does amazing. I would love to see us in the POs and make some noise. But it's fair to suggest that a more patient approach would be more long lasting. And I believe that is at the center of SIPs point. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

At least with Alex he doesn't throw interceptions at the worst possible time. They replayed the Vikings game recently and Kirk threw a pick at the end of the second quarter. I won't be sorry to not see that this season.

Besides, Kirk didn't want to be here. Yeah, he was happy to take all those millions under the tags, and wait to hit free agency. 

I agree there.  Kirk was also third in the league in fumbles with 13....  Looking forward to Alex hopefully taking care of the ball more.

16 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

I agree there.  Kirk was also third in the league in fumbles with 13....  Looking forward to Alex hopefully taking care of the ball more.

Assuming the oline stays relatively healthy (especially compared to last year), and considering the skill positions are far better this year (on paper... and if health isn’t a major problem), fumbles should be way down.  

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't know how Kirk was supposed to handle this thing any differently.  He earned his free agency, prior to that he pretty much said  "I'd be happy to stay in Washington if we can work out a deal".  Even if he felt this way, which I do not believe, are you saying he would have been better off saying publically "yeah I'm on the first bus out of this dump but not before milking the owner for every nickle  I am entitled to".  Would that have made you feel better?  

Maybe you can refresh my memory on this but can you name another player who stated after leaving his former team being so bold as to say he had lied for the past two years about wanting to stay on his former team like Kirk did? I don’t recall that ever happening.

The idea that Kirk was some class act here is nonsense and made up bs. Those words prove he had no class. Even saying I agree with your point if he had to say what he did the past two seasons there was no reason for him to be saying that when he’s on his new team. It’s classless and immature. 

Most players leave a team and thank the former team for giving him a chance. Players moving around the league happens all the time. But yet this piece of crap had to take the opportunity to bury this team the first chance he got for his own ego. That does not happen with other guys. That takes a special kind of stupid to do.

Which is why no one that really knew Kirk Cousins personally thanked him and wished him well in the future unlike how guys like Alex Smith are respected. Kirk didn’t earn the respect of those closest to him and that speaks of his character. Us fans looking in only see what we can see. When those closest to the player obviously don’t like him there are real problems we don’t see. 

Edited by bobandweave