Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

You have to be trolling at this point.  

I could say the same. 

The fact is most of the people making this comparison come out much more when there is a bad game and then make generalizations and comparisons as cheap shots to further their narrative. And then pass it off as just being objective. 

If the next part does not apply to you then fine. But many of those with the most complaints about Alex were no where to be found when we won. It's let's come in and kick the guy when he has a tough game and make gross exaggerations to further a narrative. 

The entire team played like crap. Coaching was horrible. The players did not show up either. It is what it is. 

One day yall gone realize one day that we literally do this with every QB not born in or before the 60's. 

I say we cause I do it to lol. But no QB is exempt from this. I literally only talk about Kirk Cousins when hes playing like ****. Otherwise I dont know the guy. Fortunately for me, he usually plays like ****. 

Yall just lucky JC aint still on the roster 

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The fact is most of the people making this comparison come out much more when there is a bad game and then make generalizations and comparisons as cheap shots to further their narrative. And then pass it off as just being objective. 

I've been banging the same drum all summer and still currently feel the same way.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I've been banging the same drum all summer and still currently feel the same way.

Edit

Thank for proving the point. You only come here to complain about him never to admit when he plays well. That's the point. You don't like him. You don't like the trade. And don't get me wrong - I get it's totally your right to do that and feel that way. And many supporters of Alex's are just the opposite. In here crowing away when he plays well and no where to be seen when he lays an egg. Was the same with Kirk and every other QB. It's part of it.

But at least own that your highlighting the Beck comparison is not just a one game thing. You believe Alex is about the same or just barely better than Beck or any other QB at Beck's level. Again, it's your right to believe that. Just own it. 

16 hours ago, Temper11 said:

I know people keep saying this... and I am firmly in the camp that Smith was awful yesterday, but I don't see the O line being the strength of this team as I'd heard coming in.  Skins couldn't run the ball at all yesterday and Smith was being pinched within moments of receiving the snap on every dropback.  Look at the difference in the pockets that Brees was throwing out of compared to that of Smith's.  Night and day.  AGAIN, SO NO ONE MISSES IT - SMITH PLAYED LIKE **** YESTERDAY.  But the o-line being a strength - meh.

The Vikings O-line is paternally historically bad. They are giving up pressures at an all-time clip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-linc-vikings-offensive-line-has-allowed-by-far-the-most-pressures-in-the-nfl/ar-BBO1odj

So, even if the Skins idea is bad, the Viking o-line is 62 Mets bad.

This organization loves to get fleeced by Andy Reed in trades.. they seem to be too dumb to learn from previous mistakes.

Macnab for two 2nds - was benched by mid season

Smith for a 3rd and a good corner - has a pretty good shot at being benched soon on top of sticking the team with a fat contract.

The silver lining is that after another subpar season in a historically bad NFCE, Snyder has no choice but to clean house and dump all the trash (Gruden, GM, DC, etc)

and find a rookie QB to groom.

39 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Vikings O-line is paternally historically bad. They are giving up pressures at an all-time clip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-linc-vikings-offensive-line-has-allowed-by-far-the-most-pressures-in-the-nfl/ar-BBO1odj

So, even if the Skins idea is bad, the Viking o-line is 62 Mets bad.

Wasnt that our weakness last year too? Funny coinkidink

2 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

One thing i know, We probably would not have beaten the Saints with Cousins at QB but at least the game would have been respectable and thats the thing that all the Cousin haters dont get. 

I'd be careful claiming that we KNOW that...

In 2015 we lost games by 14, 17, 28, and 17 points (two of those included late scores to make the final seem better than it was). We also lost to the Giants by 11 but that too was a 19 and 18 point game at different times in the 4th quarter. So, out of 17 games we had 5 that weren't too respectable. 

In 2016 we lost our opener by 22 and got beat down by the Panthers late in the year (final was only an 11-point spread but I believe that too was 17 in the 4th quarter). 

In 2017 we lost by 22 and 17 (was 24 until a 4th quarter red zone pick-6 made the score look less embarrassing) in back to back weeks. 

I'm not even counting some of the starts he had in 2014 since he wasn't our full-time starter then...but I think the Giants beat us one Thursday night that year by a score of about 844-9. So, basically 20% of the games we played with Kirk Cousins as our starting QB resulted in us getting the doors blown off of us. Some final scores were a little more aesthetically pleasing that 43-13 or whatever Monday night was, but being blown out was something that happened every single season at least a couple times. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, basically 20% of the games we played with Kirk Cousins as our starting QB resulted in us getting the doors blown off of us. Some final scores were a little more aesthetically pleasing that 43-13 or whatever Monday night was, but being blown out was something that happened every single season at least a couple times. 

That's actually quite impressive considering how bad our defense was for 2 years (and injured last year) and how he didn't have the benefit of a running game (outside of when we played the Rams).  

That's actually quite impressive considering how bad our defense was for 2 years (and injured last year) and how he didn't have the benefit of a running game (outside of when we played the Rams).  

Don't forget the MASH OL we had last year that makes our OL this year look like the HOGS.

Well, I'm not going to dive into all the mitigating factors of individual games over the past half-decade...I just think we need to be sure we are being as accurate as possible when comparing things. Sometimes in blowout games, even a good QB can't save you and just turn it into a shootout. Hell, we destroyed Drew Brees in 2015 or 2016 like 45-14.

My point was that Kirk Cousins played very well here and even he was on the losing end of a blowout roughly 3 times each season. So, to just assume that something like Monday night wouldn't have happened on his watch is intellectually dishonest. 

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I would also point out that last year, of our 7 wins, I think only 2 were attributable to Cousins and the passing game (San Francisco and Denver). In my opinion, the wins over the Rams, Raiders, Seahawks, Giants, and Cardinals had much more to do with either a great running game (Rams) and/or an incredible defensive effort (the other 4 where we gave up between 10-14 points). That's not to say he didn't make some key plays and contribute to win, it just means he wasn't the top 1 or 2 reasons we won those games. 

We can't just paint the picture that we only won here for 3 years when Cousins threw for 300 yards and put up 30 points. That's what 2015 (division title) was like, but that slowly changed over 2016 and 2017. We need to separate perception from reality. 

I know the comparisons are bound to be made because both were traded by the same coach and are the same age, but I didn't realize how close Smith and McNabb are statistically over the course of their careers prior to signing with the Skins.

McNabb:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm#1999-2009-sum:passing

Smith:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm#2006-2017-sum:passing

Imagine if John Beck read the board.  Seeing a few pages dedicated to folks likening the current quarterbacks atrocious performance to him against another guy who won’t let it slide because John Beck is so historically bad.  ?

That said, the whole John Beck thing came up because he lived for the checkdown and could throw a floater with the best of them.  That’s what Alex looked like the other night.  If for whatever reason Alex has a bad game where he’s just saying F it and launches 4 picks we’ll refer to it as a Rex Grossman performance.

I think everyone is aware that not every game for Alex is going to be like the past game.  But it’s alarming because it was a performance that included most everything we don’t like about Alex’s game with some additional doo doo we hadn’t yet seen before.  Like the Redskins are rubbing off on him.

40 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I know the comparisons are bound to be made because both were traded by the same coach and are the same age, but I didn't realize how close Smith and McNabb are statistically over the course of their careers prior to signing with the Skins.

McNabb:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm#1999-2009-sum:passing

Smith:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm#2006-2017-sum:passing

Speaking of McNabb and Smith, one argument I heard during the off season on this thread was that Alex's numbers were deceiving low because Andy just doesn't do the 4000 yard QB thing. So Alex is conforming to that. 

Well, Mahomes is on pace for almost 5000 yards lets alone 4000.  He also has one of the highest yards per attempt stats in the league. 

Andy Reid basically had to force this guy to throw the ball down the field. Also I don't want a QB who goes an entire season w/out throwing a td pass to a wr. That is literally impossible to do. That tells you he doesn't want to throw it to them. He just wants to throw to backs and TE. Colt can do that for half the price. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of McNabb and Smith, one argument I heard during the off season on this thread was that Alex's numbers were deceiving low because Andy just doesn't do the 4000 yard QB thing. So Alex is conforming to that. 

Well, Mahomes is on pace for almost 5000 yards lets alone 4000.  He also has one of the highest yards per attempt stats in the league. 

Andy doesn't and hasn't. Mahomes is clearly a different beast well on his way to super stardom.

Alex is on pace for career high yards. All of it is pointless because we are 4 games in. We have the same record right now with John Beck that we did after 4 games the past 3 seasons under the great Kirk Cousins.

Last week was disgusting. I don't even know where to start, but if that's how this season is going to go it's time to hit the reset and bring in a fresh GM and head coach. But a lot of time left, we all remember the code red game that launched Kirk Cousins career. Far too early to make a definitive call on how this all shakes out.

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

Andy Reid basically had to force this guy to throw the ball down the field. 

Interesting you say that, Craig Hoffman brought up a story he heard where Matt Nagy had to practically brainwash him to throw deep.  As in every meeting, before and during every practice and game, making it an emphasis that it’s expected he go down the field.  When it’s just not how a guy has been for his entire career, this makes sense. Perhaps we’ll see the same approach here.

4 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Andy Reid basically had to force this guy to throw the ball down the field. Also I don't want a QB who goes an entire season w/out throwing a td pass to a wr. That is literally impossible to do. That tells you he doesn't want to throw it to them. He just wants to throw to backs and TE. Colt can do that for half the price. 

Well, he's here and likely here for at least another year or two after 2018. He's also gone and thrown a TD to a WR already, so you can rest easy. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Interesting you say that, Craig Hoffman brought up a story he heard where Matt Nagy had to practically brainwash him to throw deep.  As in every meeting, before and during every practice and game, making it an emphasis that it’s expected he go down the field.  When it’s just not how a guy has been for his entire career, this makes sense. Perhaps we’ll see the same approach here.

I don't want a guy like that. We'll never win big games with this type of QB who basically plays not to lose. 

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did you reply to the wrong post? Not being snarky but I’m not sure what most of that has to do with my post.

But to what you are talking about, I disagree that nobody thought Alex would light it up, was better than Kirk, be better than 8-8.  I think most rational people thought that but plenty of fans here and on twitter indeed said all

those things.  I had lurkers coming out from under cover to “set me straight” when I talked about how bad the trade was, how 2017 was an exception, and so on.

The “this is what people were saying on twitter” response to substantiate an argument in this forum has no place, in my opinion. I don’t engage in twitter because of the nonsense on there. It’s basically the game day thread 24/7. 

The theme of this thread(s) was mixed between Kirk supporters feeling Smith was comparable to a slight downgrade and non Kirk supporters feeling/hoping Alex was comparable to a slight upgrade. Literally saw no post on here stating Alex is elite or primed for a big time year. 

Personally, I continue to be hopeful Alex will be better situationally, use legs, and intangibles. If this adds up to being in the playoffs, all is good for me. If season falls a part I will be in support of a massive turnover. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, he's here and likely here for at least another year or two after 2018. He's also gone and thrown a TD to a WR already, so you can rest easy. 

Wow...  one td to a wr in 4 games. We're on our way!!!!!  

3 hours ago, dckey said:

Judging QB's by stats is even more flawed

I'll grant you that stats can be misleading.  Looking at too small a sample size, for example, often leads to over reactions.  How many QBs have we seen turn a good season, or even a good portion of a season filling in or an injured starter, into a payday? 

QBs that are legitimately good will be consistently productive and stats measure productivity.  How exactly would we define "good qb" which wouldn't result in fairly good stats at the end of the year.  Moving the offense down the field, scoring points, and limiting turnovers are all things good QBs are expected to do and all of that shows up on a stat sheet.

Wins and losses however, are a terrible measure for determining QB play.  I'll give you two examples: Drew Brees 2016 and Peyton Manning 2015.  Brees had an amazing year and won just 7 games.  Manning was the lowest rated passer in the league and yet still managed to win the damn superbowl. 

Archived