Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Dan Snyder: We do not like being fans anymore; we tolerate it

MassSkinsFan

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

*Shana-stan*

What reality were you living in? People keep saying that kind of stuff, and it never stops being unbelievably strange. Shanahan ran the team.

Shanahan picked the GM. Shanahan picked the woefully inept staff. He picked the players. He was the gm (behind the scenes). It was the same role he had in Denver.... Which got him fired.... Which had him on the hot seat here,  before he did a masterful job of misdirection in getting everyone to forget about all of his personnel/staff mistakes, and draft misses. You got played. It's  okay. I blame Snyder for hiring the dude.

But I ain't fantasizing about what could've been with him. I may want Palpatine gone, but I don't want to dig up Count Dooku either.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

I have a room that is full of sports memorabilia, mostly Redskins stuff.  Been contemplating taking it all down and putting it in boxes and re-doing my "den" into an actual den instead of a sports display.

You can see where I am as a fan of not only the team, but with the NFL. 

When I was younger (even before the 80s glory days of SBs), I can remember in the late 70s:

1) In the middle of the week, I couldn't wait until 1:00 on Sunday would get here.

2) I couldn't wait to see the schedule come out to see if we were on MNF, which was a real "treat" back then.

3) Getting anything with Redskins on it (pennant, t-shirt, etc.) was also a treat.

4) Couldn't wait for Redskins Sidelines to come on to see which player would be on the show.

5) Always nervous before kickoff, but win or lose, I know the team would play hard and the owner/GM cared.

Now, meh.  :(

Couldn't have said it all better myself.  I WAS a STH thru this year.  That ends effective immediately.  My man cave is filled with Redskins stuff.  Thinking about taking inventory, putting it away, and selling it when I retire and move away from here.

Like you I used to get ultra excited for the upcoming games.  My favorite stupid memory tied to the Skins being on MNF was flipping thru the TV Guide to see the page on Monday with the big box advertising that game.  Seems like it even had rosters on it though that could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Your point #4 is the one that really brought a smile to my face though.  I watched that show every Monday night.  Tried and failed every week to win tickets to the show by calling in and answering the weekly trivia question.  This was of course after I had just watched the 6pm Channel 9 news where Glenn Brenner and Sonny broke down the previous day's games.  Oh, and I also never missed the Redskins pregame shows before the game that led into the NFL Today and that iconic theme music.  Man, those were the days.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I bet Snyder is so oblivious he thinks he's well liked by the fans.

Pretty sure Snyder changed the rules on signs because of what people were bringing to FedEX Field over their discontent with Vinny. 

Snyder isn't getting any credit for any of the decisions we've made post-Vinny because they've all blown up in our face, imo.  Bringing in Shanny made sense at the time, as did trading up for a QB, and bringing in a legit football mind in Scott. 

There's been rumblings of his frustrations with Allen bordering on the point he got to with Vinny, so we shall see. 

Snyder, Kirk Cousins was your last chance with me and you blew this like so many other chances.  I am picking another team to follow because I have finally totally given up on you.  I knew you were going to be a disaster when you fired Marty.  No owner worth a damn would have made that decision, none.  I knew then you were going to be a loser but I hoped I was wrong.  I knew it but I didn't act on those feeling and endured 2 decades of your mismanagement.  I was finally ready to bail on the team after 2014 but I decided to give it one more try if you would finally bench Griffin in favor of Cousins who had flashed ability since arriving in 2012. 

Cousins thrived and it looked like your Skins were rescued but then you decided to be Dan Snyder and didn't offer him a fair extension.  After your nominal GM promised to overpay if Kirk played great again in 2016 you welched and low balled him.  Then you let his two receivers get away, did you do that to increase your leverage with Cousins?  That gambit failed.  Kirk played even better in 2017 with most of his teammates injured and others not performing.  Dan Snyder, you are the reason Kirk doesn't want to be here.  Kirk will get to pick his new employer and my new team, I am jumping on the bandwagon of Minnesota, Jacksonville, Denver or whatever Kirk signs with, I trust he'll make a good choice and watching that team will be fun.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

But I ain't fantasizing about what could've been with him. I may want Palpatine gone, but I don't want to dig up Count Dooku either.

We're still paying for the switch to the 3-4 when our defense was decent at the time for crying out loud.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We're still paying for the switch to the 3-4 when our defense was decent at the time for crying out loud.

This team in 2013 was an absolute disaster all the way around. An embarassment. So of course it makes sense, that at that precise moment, Ashburn HQ starts leaking like the Titanic. Not gonna delve deeper into this as it isn't OT, but let's just say that none of us should want to revisit that. Despite my complete disdain for Snyder at this point (by the way, Dear Danno, I moved here from Hialeah FL in '95 and chose this team because all the cool kids were Skins fans. You have taken approximately 2.5 years off of my life during your tenure as owner. Please go buy Sports Ownership for Dummies or something, and learn to run this team better), that dude fired himself.

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Been half-ass watching the games the last 3 years.  A lot of times, I'll record them and watch them later when I already know the outcome.

I was 51%-49% on keeping NFL Sunday Ticket this past season.  I'm cancelling for 2018-19.

I barely watched any of the playoffs.  5 minutes of the Pats/Jags and 0 minutes of the Eagles/Vikes.  Didn't watch a minute of the SB.

I have a room that is full of sports memorabilia, mostly Redskins stuff.  Been contemplating taking it all down and putting it in boxes and re-doing my "den" into an actual den instead of a sports display.

When I was younger (even before the 80s glory days of SBs), I can remember in the late 70s:

1) In the middle of the week, I couldn't wait until 1:00 on Sunday would get here.

2) I couldn't wait to see the schedule come out to see if we were on MNF, which was a real "treat" back then.

3) Getting anything with Redskins on it (pennant, t-shirt, etc.) was also a treat.

4) Couldn't wait for Redskins Sidelines to come on to see which player would be on the show.

5) Always nervous before kickoff, but win or lose, I know the team would play hard and the owner/GM cared.

Same here man..I watched the Vikings score in Philly and that was it..didn't even watch a minute prior to the Td.  I watched the jags and pats game and all the other play off games..which I thot were amazing..than I didn't watch a second of the Superbowl. I took multiple naps and watched a chick flick with my wife.....this generation and the generation after me of fans have ruined the NFL...

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Controlled costs and revenue sharing. It's near impossible to lose money on an NFL Franchise. You really have to be a colossal dip**** to lose money on a team. I mean, Snyder is a monumental ****tard and still makes money.

There's not losing money, which you are right is tough to do in the NFL. But how is this franchise consistently one of the highest-valued in the NFL and pretty high on that list in sports? It may have changed recently, but even a couple/few years ago I think we were top-5 in the NFL in overall value. That doesn't make sense...

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

There's not losing money, which you are right is tough to do in the NFL. But how is this franchise consistently one of the highest-valued in the NFL and pretty high on that list in sports? It may have changed recently, but even a couple/few years ago I think we were top-5 in the NFL in overall value. That doesn't make sense...

You'd have to imagine we're dropping in that ranking. But, it's also a premium franchise, and location. Though 98% of that is from 25+ years ago.

OP is spot on. Tolerate is the perfect way to phrase it.

This past season, I don't think I showed much emotion at all. I even flat out missed two games and didn't even care(including the Seattle game). At this point the Redskins are a way to kill 3 hours in the fall/early winter.

The fanbase is skewing older and older in age too. You look around, young people don't care about the Redskins. They like the Nats and the Caps, and maybe Wizards too. I don't see any Redskins memoribilia in town anymore but I see the other three(well mostly Caps and Nats, only a little bit of Wiz).

DC is no longer a Redskins town.

36 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

But does Dan Snyder really want to win?

Someone explain this to me. What has he proven to us that he really wants to win?

He wants to win the way a spoiled little kid sees some great athlete on TV and says, "I'm going to be that," with no understanding whatsoever of what it took for the person to get to that place of greatness: practicing your craft, honing your skills, committing yourself to excellence, surrounding yourself with people who've been successful, listening to people who are wiser than you are, etc., etc., etc. 

He has no concept whatsoever of how to inspire people, how to build a strong foundation of an organization, how to attract and keep and motivate good coaches and players and even people. It wouldn't matter so much if he just found someone who DID know how to do all those things and let them do it. But he's too ingrained into the operations, and the people he has hired to oversee things are cut from a similar cloth. Bruce Allen? What a piece of garbage that soulless husk of humanity is. 

I truly hate both of them with the burning, white-hot heat of a thousand suns. 

And btw, the great Coach Joe has slipped in my estimation, too, for going out of his way to say he's "good friends with Dan," etc. How can he not see what Dan has done to this team and the kind of person he is? 

Snyder has poisoned everything Redskins. 

Somewhat relevant to this discussion...

Today I woke up for the first time as a fan being able to acknowledge that the Redskins are the worst NFC East franchise. Even though we've done nothing to strengthen our position since 1992, until the Eagles won a Super Bowl, it was pretty easy to feel like we trumped them. Now, even though they have only won one, their other accomplishments (division titles, conference titles, stability for 15+ years, etc.) are supplemental rather than their whole case. 

Dallas and New York are clearly superior in both overall championships (yes, we have 5 but so does Dallas in much less time) and how they operate as an NFL franchise. The Eagles now with their first Super Bowl (I believe 2nd championship) have jumped us. 

I'm turning 41 shortly and we've gone from being arguably the best franchise in our division (as of the mid-1980s right before New York surged again) to the worst just in the time that I've been a fan. And, what's worse, it feels like the gap will widen over the next few years. 

53 minutes ago, StephenDavis said:

This is all Snyder cares about. Not winning, only making money and running his business. 

So does every other team owner since professional sports began but it seems like most owners know they have to put a winning franchise on the field in order to do it - at least some of the time - or else they start losing money (or at least making money at a slower clip).

The 'Skins (and to a lesser extent, the Cowboys) seem to completely defy that trend. I can understand the Cowboys since they (and NFL Films) have marketed themselves as AMERICA'S TEAM (TM) - even though they've been a pretty disappointing team over the last 20 years. They have that brand. That damn Star is known all over the world. It's easy to forget they have a local base of fans in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. 

The 'Skins don't seem to have that - not nearly to the same extent.

52 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Controlled costs and revenue sharing. It's near impossible to lose money on an NFL Franchise. You really have to be a colossal dip**** to lose money on a team. I mean, Snyder is a monumental ****tard and still makes money.

He's not just making money. He's making money on a monumental scale. He bought the team for $800 million. They're now worth nearly $3 billion. Maybe they're not growing at the same speed as other teams but they're rolling with the biggest dogs in sports. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/07/12/full-list-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2017/#11cbbb784a05

They've always seemed like more of a niche, D.C. Area thing. It always seemed like something that the locals were rabid about and transplants could latch onto while they strolled through town - at least to waste a few hours on Sunday afternoons in the autumn. Even though they've been struggling lately, I would have never put them in the same category as the Lakers or the Knicks. I especially wouldn't think they'd be in league (or surpassing) some of the world's most popular soccer teams. Yet they are 

Once again, I ask: how? How is this team not only surviving but thriving

This guy needs to sell the team. Everything about him as it pertains to the Redskins has been a failure. It's unfortunate that he still makes money, which is incentive for him to continue to keep the team but as fans, our only long standing hope is that he sells the team.

He is the guy that hires the terrible GMs, who in turn hire the terrible scouting department and coaching staff, who in turn draft the players that continuously net us 7-9 wins a year. We can't keep blaming the players, coaches, and GM when it has been a carousel at those positions. Only one constant has remained through out it all, and his name is Dan Snyder.

This guy does NOT get it. He has tainted the organization.

33 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

And btw, the great Coach Joe has slipped in my estimation, too, for going out of his way to say he's "good friends with Dan," etc. How can he not see what Dan has done to this team and the kind of person he is? 

Snyder has poisoned everything Redskins. 

Joe has always been careful with his words and doesn't take a dump on anyone.  I get the impression Dan truly does idolize Joe and I'm sure he fawns all over him.  But like you said, I think he idolizes Joe in the same way my son idolizes athletes.  They idolize and ultimately want to be these folks, but they don't want to do the work that made those folks who they are.

We can only prey Dan reads this. Veryoldschool ur post is spot on with what I stated in another thread about how if Kirk is not retained I will hand in my fan card. 

I tell you this right now I'm going to get some finances straightened out and will have DirecTV no later than June 1st. I will also have the NFL ticket on there of course so both my wife and I can watch our favorite teams play on Sundays...

BUT WHY?!?!.. my wife is more of a level-headed fan than me she wasn't such of a die-hard fan prior to meeting me for God's sake she lived in Chicago and never went to watch a Bears game in person... so now after us being together for almost 10 years she does not like to miss watching the Bears play.

Each season some seasons tougher than others I find my self in the same situation.. this time of year it's **** this team I won't have anything to do with them...

And then by September 1st I'm excited and antsy for Redskins football...so the question starts to shift from what the **** is wrong with you Dan?..to what the **** is wrong with you Jared..??.. something is wrong with me and I need to fix it..

I guess maybe I wish I wouldn't have grown up as such a sport nut...summers were chuck full..and I mean daily.(unless it was raining than we would all gather for a day n a half of tecmo bowl tournaments).. of 12-hour days of basketball playing and baseball playing... Then of course from September to February it was football on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays in a grass field...I've just loved football so much my whole life.

Which leads me to, what's ur take on if the redskins were..the patriots?..nothing less than 12 wins a year, winning the sb every other year..and if not winning it, there in it. Would you be able to tolerate it?.. I know it sounds like a crazy question hey could you stand the Redskins being competitive each year?...I couldn't. I could not stand the redskins being as dominate as the pats are ..I mean other than the 91 season we weren't blowing people out of the water during the other years we won the sb...see what you have done to me Snyder!!..

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Partnerships, advertising. I don't think Snyder cares anymore what jersey people are wearing in the stadium anymore.

Yep.

I've long been of the belief that if the Redskins were in any other industry but professional football, Redskins Park would be boarded up and the company bankrupt.  Professional football sells itself.  It provides a platform to gain these partnerships, advertising and other revenue streams that have nothing to do with putting a winning product on the field.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

But does Dan Snyder really want to win?

Someone explain this to me. What has he proven to us that he really wants to win?

Yes, HE wants to win.  Keyword being HE.

He wants to show everyone he can do it.

Honestly thought he'd figured it out when he brought in Scot.  Not that Scot was great, but man...

It says a lot about organizations like the Ravens, where DeCosta will ignore offers for 10 years just to wait on Ozzie to retire.  Crazy... Look at the talent we've had here winning elsewhere.  Seattle, Green Bay, Atlanta, Los Angeles.... crazy.

I won't be woe is me like some of you are in here, but I'm certainly not going to be attending any games any time soon. 

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Partnerships, advertising. I don't think Snyder cares anymore what jersey people are wearing in the stadium anymore.

You're way off... most of it is owning the stadium and the property value of the stadium and Ashburn.

If we were in Kansas we'd be poop.

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Been half-ass watching the games the last 3 years.  A lot of times, I'll record them and watch them later when I already know the outcome.

I was 51%-49% on keeping NFL Sunday Ticket this past season.  I'm cancelling for 2018-19.

I barely watched any of the playoffs.  5 minutes of the Pats/Jags and 0 minutes of the Eagles/Vikes.  Didn't watch a minute of the SB.

You're damn right, sir.  All five of those things applied to me, and my basement was painted burgundy and gold before my kids were born.  Now it's just, I don't know.  Let them have it?  Put up that chalkboard paint and let them do what they want?

It's just a chore now.  A chore.  I used to be a STH out of state and would actually drive hours to go to games.  Now I'm just bleh.  After seeing a **** Eagles team last year win it all this year with three MASSIVE injuries, I'm just absolutely deflated.  The idiocy of the Smith trade, unless we literally win the Super Bowl in the next two years, has come as close to sealing the deal as possible.

I'll always cheer for the Redskins.  I just don't know if, living in the Philly area, I have the fanaticism anymore.  That's your fault, Dan.

EDIT:  Double post

2 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

I get the venting and frustration but this is turning out to be one of the most depressed media outlets for Skins fan. Even game threads that do not feature the Skins people come through with depressing posts. Even Twitter and Facebook are not as down on the team as here. 

That's more indicative of the team than ES.  This place used to be booming when there was hope following the 2005 season (when I joined).  Then as Gibbs ended, and Zorn fell to Earth after the 7-1 start, it just decayed.  A big resurgence after RGIII came, and then a huge drop off from 2013 to the middle of the 2015 season.  Now a further decline.

Facebook and Twitter take no investment.  It's 140-280 characters at a time and no sense of community, just followers.  The team is the problem, not us.

Archived