Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the lack of D in the SB take away from your enjoyment of the game?

hail2skins

Just a general question in the thread title to ponder. Brady throws for 500 yards, and there was what, over 1100 combined yards of O.  The record for combined yards had been broken by the end of the third quarter. And only one punt in the entire game.

I realize that we should be thankful that it was a close Super Bowl like the ones have been mainly for the past 20 years and not the blowouts that SBs were before that. And hats off to the execution and the game played, particularly by Nick Foles. But is the league in general becoming too much offense?

It took a little bit of it away, yeah. One punt the entire game says a lot about it. A close game is nice, but with a game like the last one, if felt more like the game was going to hinge on one freak play/ref call instead of one team really playing better. In the end, the better team did win - and it was exciting - but it felt less fulfilling.

I didn’t watch one minute of the game, but this is the way it’s been in this league for most years now. And it sucks. Score, score, score and damn the defense.  The NFL has turned itself into a circus for years. 5,000 yard passers were unheard of.  Now, there are 3-4 a season.  I like scoring, but I'd don't like wide open passing games where teams are chucking it up 40-50 times a game.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I thought it was boring. I hate track meet games. 

I thought it 2as disgusting listening to Collinsworth all game, "Oh wow, thus is awesome, very few punts, so much scoring!" But that's what happened when nearly every one of your broadcast has an offensive guy on set on every network, and every HC is offensive minded, and rules are offensively slanted. 

This is what's killing football for me. It's insulting.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I thought it 2as disgusting listening to Collinsworth all game, "Oh wow, thus is awesome, very few punts, so much scoring!" But that's what happened when nearly every one of your broadcast has an offensive guy on set on every network, and every HC is offensive minded, and rules are offensively slanted. 

This is what's killing football for me. It's insulting.

Interest in the NFL is dropping like a rock. Per the WSJ, 4 years ago, 75% of males 18-49 followed the NFL closely. It's now down to 51%: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl-is-losing-its-core-audience-a-wsj-nbc-news-poll-finds-1517569200

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Interest in the NFL is dropping like a rock. Per the WSJ, 4 years ago, 75% of males 18-49 followed the NFL closely. It's now down to 51%: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl-is-losing-its-core-audience-a-wsj-nbc-news-poll-finds-1517569200

Wasn't able to read all of it, but people keep saying it's all about  kneeling. I'm sure it its, but not to the degree of things like overall busier schedules, cord cutting, rule changes,  and a straight up bad product, period. It's not what I grew up watching, and as a neutral viewer, I have next to zero interest. Aside from the playoffs and Super Bowl, I did not watch one full game that was not our own, all year, and I know a LOT of people who feel the same.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Wasn't able to read all of it, but people keep saying it's all about  kneeling. I'm sure it its, but not to the degree of things like overall busier schedules, cord cutting, rule changes,  and a straight up bad product, period. It's not what I grew up watching, and as a neutral viewer, I have next to zero interest. Aside from the playoffs and Super Bowl, I did not watch one full game that was not our own, all year, and I know a LOT of people who feel the same.

I only watched a handful of Redskins games in their entirety this year. Goodell is killing the product with stupid rules, force-feeding terrible Thursday night games, and spending more time watching commercials than game action. Last night was nearly unwatchable, not just because of the lack of defense, but the amount of ads. It was completely ridiculous.

It was an enjoyable game but I did expect better defense.  I doubt anyone expected a game with only one punt.  That's bad by any measure and the defensive line play last night was especially bad most of the night.  Neither team generated consistent QB pressure nor stopped the run.  I'm not sure if the Pats secondary was quite as bad as the numbers looked though.  Nick Foles, unbelievably, hit well defended receivers with perfect strikes all game.  I kept expecting him to blink, to over or under throw someone and stall a few drives out, maybe turn it over, but he just kept throwing magic bullets.  Most QBs do not make all those same throws on most nights.  

The eagles defense was a bigger disappointment.  They're the unit that carried the team with Wentz out and only allowed 17 points combined in their previous two playoff games.  I don't know what happened, but the dominant version of the Eagles defense never showed up.  The pats hit receivers running open all night, and somehow finished with more drives (11) than 3rd downs (10).  Not 3rd downs converted, but 3rd downs attempted.  That's an ugly stat for a defense.  Credit where credit is due however, they did pick a good time to finally come up with a big defensive play with that sack fumble. 

I do not want to watch one of the best defenses in the league, and one of the best defensive minds in the game, go an entire game without a forced punt (because the only punt was on a drop).

The Eagles D is too good to NEVER stop Tom, and Bill is too smart to NEVER stop Nick Foles (talent discrepancy be damned). 

Foles made some absolutely amazing plays and throws, but as a whole that superbowl was a microcosm of the new NFL rules that make it impossible to get off the field on third down. 

Honestly, I was more surprised by how awful the Eagles secondary was. I know it's not the strength of their defense, but they were either constantly confused out there or guys were making bad choices.  The Pats WRs were either wide open downfield, or they would catch a 10 yard pass and have 20 empty yards to run in front of them. 

The Pats secondary seemed to be doing better, but Foles was threading a lot of needles with his passes. He was super aggressive and it paid off.  Foles gets a ton of credit for ball placement with his throws. It was excellent and then a few times he let the ball fly, giving his guys a chance to make plays and they did. 

Archived