Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The XXIII Olympic Winter Games In PyeongChang

PleaseBlitz

I love the Olympics.  2 weeks of watching crazy sports that you only see once every four years and you are automatically assigned a desperate rooting interest by nationality.  This years games are going to be awesome, the host should be great, there are a bunch of new sports that look insane, the US has a bunch of new kids about to be household names and a number of athletes that are already legends. They start Feb. 9. 

The Hosts

PyeongChang isnt really a city, it’s like a county in South Korea, but should be great because they built a world class ski facility which is the biggest this and the tallest that in the world. It is not far from Seoul, which has 25 million people, so its a major major city that knows how to host an Olympics. Plus, given that the last 2 Olympics have been in Rio and Sochi, a toilet and dystopian wasteland respectively, this should be a huge upgrade. 

New Sports

There are 4 new sports. 1 is curling but with only 2 people so who cares. One is snowboard big air, which is exactly what it sounds like. 

Another is Mass Start speed skating, which is basically a human demolition derby on ice, WHICH IS AWESOME. Every race begins with the announcer shouting Welcome to Thunderdome in 12 languages. 

Old Faces

Without a doubt, the most famous Americans are Shawn White and Lindsey Vonn. They are both back and favorites. White’s qualifying run was amazeballs. 

New Faces

Mikaela Shiffrin (Alpine skiing): Shiffrin became the youngest Olympic slalom champion in Sochi at age 18. She’s since blossomed into the world’s best all-around skier, including winning six of the last seven World Cup races. Shiffrin is now favored for three gold medals in PyeongChang, which would match the record for an Alpine skier at one Winter Games.  

Nathan Chen is a figure skater, which, whatever, but he hit 5 quad jumps in one program, which nobody else has ever done, so thats cool. 

Chloe Kim, 17, easily secured her spot on Team USA in December. The California-based snowboarder was the first woman to land back-to-back 1080s in a competition last year and sits at the top of world rankings for the sport. She’s a favorite to win gold in the halfpipe event in Pyeongchang.

Mascots

These boring things are the mascots. 

Soohorang_and_Bandabi.jpg

With no research, I have named them Kwon, the white tiger that eats lost children, and Kim Jong Bear, the black bear who casually threatens global nuclear annihilation. 

One rule for the thread:  no politics. The Olympics wont be good for President ****hole given the fact that he’ll confuse South Korea with North and, you’ll notice, so many of our proud olympians are the children of recent immigrants. Please keep that stuff in the Trump Tirefire Thread. 

Honestly I've been out of the Winter sports loop for so long, when I saw Shaun Whites qualifying/placement/whatever run, so thought "Wow, he doesn't look like a teenage version of carrot top anymore..."

I will try to watch a bit this go round, though. Should be entertaining. Seems like a lot of new blood is out there

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly I've been out of the Winter sports loop for so long, when I saw Shaun Whites qualifying/placement/whatever run, so thought "Wow, he doesn't look like a teenage version of carrot top anymore..."

I will try to watch a bit this go round, though. Should be entertaining. Seems like a lot of new blood is out there

One of my favorite Winter Olympics things was 8 years ago when Shaun White was in his early 20s and just manic with energy, so after he won gold, NBC gave him a canera crew (and clearly Shaun supplied his own blunts) and sent him around the Olympic village to talk to people. Hysterical. 

18 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Liked it better when both were every four years. One or the other every two years is overkill.

I like it better this way. I feel like when you have the Winter and then follow it up with the Summer a few months later...it depreciated the importance of even watching.  Hell it's been like this for over 20 years...I'm used to it now. 

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Also, Steve Holcomb, is the most successful bobsledder in US history and has been on the track for nearly two decades. He has three Olympic medals, including gold in the 2010 four-man, along with several world championship golds and World Cup overall titles, and he’s contending for the season title in two-man this year.

It pains me to say that Holcomb passed away last May.  Mighty big shoes to fill.

9 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I like it better this way. I feel like when you have the Winter and then follow it up with the Summer a few months later...it depreciated the importance of even watching.  Hell it's been like this for over 20 years...I'm used to it now. 

I feel this way too.  I'd rather they be spaced out than piled on top of one another with a long period of nothing in between. 

10 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Yeah, I hear ya. I just feel like yesterday when we watched them in Brazil.

While acknowledging that this is dangerously close to breaking my own no politics rule, this is cool.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/winter18/story/_/id/22131536/koreas-form-their-first-joint-olympic-team-march-together

Koreas to form their first joint Olympic team, will march together during opening ceremonies

The rival Koreas agreed Wednesday to form their first unified Olympic team and have their athletes parade together for the first time in 11 years during the opening ceremonies of next month's Winter Olympics in South Korea, officials said.

The agreements still require approval from the International Olympic Committee. But they are the most prominent steps toward rapprochement achieved by the Koreas since they recently began exploring cooperation during the Olympics following a year of heightened tension over the North's nuclear weapons program.

During their third day of talks at the border in about a week, senior officials reached a package of agreements including fielding a joint women's ice hockey team and marching together under a "unification flag'' depicting their peninsula during the opening ceremonies, Seoul's Unification Ministry said.

A joint statement distributed by the ministry said the North Korean Olympic delegation will travel to South Korea across their heavily fortified land border. It said the delegation will include a 230-member cheering group, a 30-member taekwondo demonstration team, and journalists, athletes and officials.

Note that the North Korean delegation does not actually include any athletes, as none of yet qualified in any sport.  Still, this is one of the great things about the Olympics.  It doesn't matter where you are from, sports are games and everyone is bound through competition. 

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its not the same without the Russians to vehemently root against, now more than ever.

Russia, the country, is banned.  Many Russians will participate under a generic Olympic flag if they get cleared.  You can still boo the **** out of them. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2017/12/05/568585759/russia-is-banned-from-2018-olympics-athletes-told-to-compete-under-olympic-flag

I think the most amazing sport is the biathlon.  I cannot imagine the level of physical fitness needed to cross country ski and then hold a rifle perfectly steady... i breathe hard just watching

Not to mention its colder than balls.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Its not the same without the Russians to vehemently root against, now more than ever.

I prefer rooting against the chinese.

Communist countries are the worst when it comes to the olympics

My dark horse hate country will be the netherlands... because they won 145 gold medals 4 years ago all in speed skating to take the overall medal count.   That is ****ing lame.  And now that we have legal pot what do we need those ****ers for?  Nothing, thats what

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Totally agree with @zoony about biathlon.  The whole sport is premised around making an athlete push themselves to the absolute physical and mental limit, and in the middle of that, judge them on their fine motor skills. :ols:

There was a james bond movie when i was a kid... cant remember which one... but this biathlon guy was an assasin and was trying to kill bond on skis.  Of course, bond totally out ski`d him after he crushed a couple martinis and ****ed a supermodel... but still, ever since then ive always thought the biathlon was badass.

Worst part of winter olympics?  Figure skating.  Worstest part?  Ice dancing.  Gawd... we all know its going to dominate prime time coverage while awesome **** like the biathlon is going to be on at 1 pm on cnbc

Archived