Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should net points count for more in terms of making the playoffs and seeding?

TheItalianStallion

I ran across this info the other day.........

Net points for the season of playoff-bound teams

Buffalo Bills: -57

Tennessee Titans: -22

Net points for non-playoff teams

Baltimore Ravens: +92

LA Chargers: +83

I dunno, something about this doesn't really sit right with me. I think net points should count for more than just a distant tie breaker. I'm not sure what, but I think it should count for more than it does. Btw these teams were all vying for the same 2 WC spots, so it' not like any of them got in via weak divisions or anything.

Should net points be bumped up on the tiebreakers list? Should it count as more than just a tiebreaker? Honestly I'm starting to think it should be the next most important thing besides head-to-head record and divisional record where applicable.

2 hours ago, eaglesfandan said:

Nope.  Some teams rely heavily on their defense.  Fantasy owners would probably love it though.

Is that really valid though when it's points differential being discussed? You're looking at an average of less than 6 points per game in the case of both teams referred to here. A strong defensive team with no offense that wins 9 games 17-10 and loses 7 games 13-10 would still generate a +42 point differential which would probably give them a fair chance of winning a tie breaker reasonably often.

Is head to head a fair tiebreaker either? I  can understand a team losing out to a divisional rival, but should a team lose out on the basis that they lost a close game in OT, whereas a third team might make it in without having played either of the other two teams in contention?

Whatever tiebreaker rules dictate, there will always be scenarios where those rules could lead to a team being arguably robbed of a playoff place.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:36 AM, Pape said:

I'd be fine with it .... as long as you make every NFL fan sigh a waiver stating that they wouldn't complain about other teams "running up the score". Get that done, and I'd be all for it.

Not sure if it was college or pro but I seem to remember this happening in games based off some formula.  Maybe it was college.  

On 1/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, my_friend_goo said:

Is that really valid though when it's points differential being discussed? You're looking at an average of less than 6 points per game in the case of both teams referred to here. A strong defensive team with no offense that wins 9 games 17-10 and loses 7 games 13-10 would still generate a +42 point differential which would probably give them a fair chance of winning a tie breaker reasonably often.

Is head to head a fair tiebreaker either? I  can understand a team losing out to a divisional rival, but should a team lose out on the basis that they lost a close game in OT, whereas a third team might make it in without having played either of the other two teams in contention?

Whatever tiebreaker rules dictate, there will always be scenarios where those rules could lead to a team being arguably robbed of a playoff place.

If there are three or more teams with the same record,  head to head only applies  to resolve a tiebreaker if you have one team who beat all the other teams or one team who lost to all the other teams.   For example, if you have three teams A, B, C all vying for the same wildcard spot.  A beating B only matters if A also beat C, or C also beat B.   If C didn't play B, then A beating B doesn't matter.

Archived