DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Recommended Posts

I know that Lauvao has been average as a Redskins player, but he played RG for the Brown's and as soon as he becomes a Redskin we move him to LG, why did we not play him at his right position it could have made a big difference to his performance. 

 

HTTR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I still really like the idea of Scherff on the left, next to Trent. At least that would give us one solid side of the OL, in terms of run blocking. 

Edit: And, maybe try Arie on the right, next to Moses. I think there is a good chance that Arie is better this year, his 4th,  than Luvao and a bunch of rookies.  

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I know that Lauvao has been average as a Redskins player, but he played RG for the Brown's and as soon as he becomes a Redskin we move him to LG, why did we not play him at his right position it could have made a big difference to his performance. 

 

HTTR 

 

Because the Redskins coaches always put players out of their natural positions? 

 

We've seen that more than once.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

 

Because the Redskins coaches always put players out of their natural positions? 

 

We've seen that more than once.

 

we brought Lauvao in when Chris Chester was still our RG, bu I think he'd played more LG before coming to the Skins.  But we opted to move Lauvao instead of flipping them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I know that Lauvao has been average as a Redskins player, but he played RG for the Brown's and as soon as he becomes a Redskin we move him to LG, why did we not play him at his right position it could have made a big difference to his performance. 

 

HTTR 

 

I saw a good answer to this question in another forum: "Teams generally run right more frequently and bootleg right much more frequently. And most importantly, teams generally slide their protection left to help protect the right handed QB’s blind side (and often to give assistance against the opposing team’s best pass rusher), which means the RG is generally left one-on-one in pass pro more frequently. 

 

This is why most of your elite, and particularly well-rounded, guards play on the right side. Zack Martin, Marshal Yanda, David Decastro, Trai Turner, Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Brooks, TJ Lang, Kyle Long, Richie Incognito, Jahri Evans in his prime, etc. Some outstanding guards play on the left side, but usually that’s either because they’re shifting in from LT (tough to switch sides), they’re mostly a tremendous run blocker, or they joined a team that already had a good RG and didn’t want to mess with that."

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 10:12 AM, justice98 said:

 

CJ would certainly upgrade over Kelley....  

 

 

Anybody is an upgrade over garbage ass Kelley. Hope we cut him soon. 

 

And a lot of yall are overrating CJ Anderson. He was trash last year. And the Broncos were trying to give that #1 RB spot away and he couldnt take it. He lived on the fantasy football waiver all year in both of the leagues I was in. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carex said:

 

we brought Lauvao in when Chris Chester was still our RG, bu I think he'd played more LG before coming to the Skins.  But we opted to move Lauvao instead of flipping them

We also drafted Dockery and put him at LG and he didn't succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants waived Perkins... I would easily take him healthy over Kelley/Perine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Giants waived Perkins... I would easily take him healthy over Kelley/Perine...

 

11 games last season with a 2.2 ypc... why would you prefer him?  

Edited by OVCChairman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would bring Zane Beadles in immediately. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

 

I saw a good answer to this question in another forum: "Teams generally run right more frequently and bootleg right much more frequently. And most importantly, teams generally slide their protection left to help protect the right handed QB’s blind side (and often to give assistance against the opposing team’s best pass rusher), which means the RG is generally left one-on-one in pass pro more frequently. 

 

This is why most of your elite, and particularly well-rounded, guards play on the right side. Zack Martin, Marshal Yanda, David Decastro, Trai Turner, Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Brooks, TJ Lang, Kyle Long, Richie Incognito, Jahri Evans in his prime, etc. Some outstanding guards play on the left side, but usually that’s either because they’re shifting in from LT (tough to switch sides), they’re mostly a tremendous run blocker, or they joined a team that already had a good RG and didn’t want to mess with that."

 

is that a modern thing or does that mean Mark May and Mark Schlereth were considered better than Russ Grimm and Raleigh McKenzie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm too sensitive about this but I don't know why a guy like Robert Kelley is being refered to as a "garbage ass player"??

 

He was an undrafted free agent that worked hard to get a shot to start. He is obviously nothing special but has shown flashes to be considered a NFL starter. 

 

Why do players like him and Ryan Grant get trashed while other players that were picked higher in the draft and play average and/or inconsistent get all type of excuses about being placed in the wrong position, wrong team, wrong FO structure, injuries, etc?? /endrant

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

Maybe I'm too sensitive about this but I don't know why a guy like Robert Kelley is being refered to as a "garbage ass player"??

 

He was an undrafted free agent that worked hard to get a shot to start. He is obviously nothing special but has shown flashes to be considered a NFL starter. 

 

Why do players like him and Ryan Grant get trashed while other players that were picked higher in the draft and play average and/or inconsistent get all type of excuses about being placed in the wrong position, wrong team, wrong FO structure, injuries, etc?? /endrant

 

I wouldn't call him a garbage ass player, but I definitely wouldn't call him good enough to be an NFL starter. I would feel much better if he was 3rd string on the depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Kelley is a little underrated IMO.  He is not going to be an elite back for us, but he is a pretty good when healthy.  Pretty happy with him backing up Guice.

 

Not very high on Samaje though.   He might not make the roster. 

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

Kelley is a little underrated IMO.  He is not going to be an elite back for us, but he is a pretty good when healthy.  Pretty happy with him backing up Guise.

 

Not very high on Samaje though.   He might not make the roster. 

 

 

Perine will make it over Kelly, if nothing else because we used a draft pick.  Granted you hope that doesnt matter... but I'm not convinced we've seen everything we could ever get from Perine.  I look for him to take a step forward this year, especially if he's got Guice ahead of him and he can truly focus on situational running and specific packages. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DC9 said:

I would bring Zane Beadles in immediately. 

 

looked into him, this seems like a good idea.  Especially as he can also play C and T since we might basically be redshirting one of our backups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I still really like the idea of Scherff on the left, next to Trent. At least that would give us one solid side of the OL, in terms of run blocking. 

Edit: And, maybe try Arie on the right, next to Moses. I think there is a good chance that Arie is better this year, his 4th,  than Luvao and a bunch of rookies.  

 

No. Scherff is amazing on the right. You want to break your car to fix your scooter? 

 

They pull him frequently enough to do what they want to do running left, this is a bad idea.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carex said:

 

looked into him, this seems like a good idea.  Especially as he can also play C and T since we might basically be redshirting one of our backups

Beadles graded out a few weeks as the worst lineman in the league last year according to PFF.  On top of that he wasn't even a regular starter....and he's 31 years old.  Ty Nseke is our versatile lineman. 

 

I would be all in for signing former #2 draft pick Greg Robinson.  He has a ton of potential and is still very young.  Callahan could develop him into a proficient guard.  Robinson started his career off as a LG while Jake Long started LT.  He really started to struggle once placed on an island (LT).  Robinson played well as a guard.....Callahan and Robinson could be a good combo.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Beadles graded out a few weeks as the worst lineman in the league last year according to PFF.  On top of that he wasn't even a regular starter....and he's 31 years old.  Ty Nseke is our versatile lineman. 

 

I would be all in for signing former #2 draft pick Greg Robinson.  He has a ton of potential and is still very young.  Callahan could develop him into a proficient guard.  Robinson started his career off as a LG while Jake Long started LT.  He really started to struggle once placed on an island (LT).  Robinson played well as a guard.....Callahan and Robinson could be a good combo.

What a turnabout. Robinson was drafted #2 overall in the 2014 draft (wonder where the Rams got that pick?). He was traded last offseason for a 2018 6th rd pick to the Lions, where he hoped to compete for a job against Cyrus Kouandijo (who was injured at the time lol)  A deal like this has a little Redskins flavor already in the recipe.

Edited by bowhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it in the "what to do about LG" thread, Arie Koundio will win the LG job and Lavoau will be cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

 

No. Scherff is amazing on the right. You want to break your car to fix your scooter? 

 

They pull him frequently enough to do what they want to do running left, this is a bad idea.

 

 

You are probably right. Desperation makes for some bad ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CurseReversed said:

Kelley is a little underrated IMO.  He is not going to be an elite back for us, but he is a pretty good when healthy.  Pretty happy with him backing up Guice.

 

Not very high on Samaje though.   He might not make the roster. 

 

I think Kelley suffers from being miscast as a #1 RB.  As a fill-in, spot starter, you could get by.  He actually was not totally terrible in 2016.  And he's an ok pass blocker.  

 

I'd rather have Kelley over Perine.  One or both will be gone.  All things being equal in camp, I suspect Perine will stick over the other options simply because they used a 4th on him last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, justice98 said:

 

I think Kelley suffers from being miscast as a #1 RB.  As a fill-in, spot starter, you could get by.  He actually was not totally terrible in 2016.  And he's an ok pass blocker.  

 

I'd rather have Kelley over Perine.  One or both will be gone.  All things being equal in camp, I suspect Perine will stick over the other options simply because they used a 4th on him last year.  

 

I also think Perine is less injury prone.  That will likely play a factor as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

I think Kelley suffers from being miscast as a #1 RB.  As a fill-in, spot starter, you could get by.  He actually was not totally terrible in 2016.  And he's an ok pass blocker.  

 

I'd rather have Kelley over Perine.  One or both will be gone.  All things being equal in camp, I suspect Perine will stick over the other options simply because they used a 4th on him last year.  

 

 

I leaned the other way... I felt like Perine had better burst through the hole than Kelly.  

 

You're right, 1 of them is gone.  I'd imagine IF we were to carry 4 rbs, Bibbs or Westy takes that 4th spot as an insurance policy to CT. 

 

The other thing, and I'm not sure if it's possible, but is Perine PS eligible?  If he is, we may try to stash him there.  If we do, someone will take him though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

 

11 games last season with a 2.2 ypc... why would you prefer him?  

 

Grass is always greener 

13 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

I said it in the "what to do about LG" thread, Arie Koundio will win the LG job and Lavoau will be cut.

 

How much you willing to bet?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.