DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

5 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I actually wouldn't mind having an honest to goodness true FB on this roster rather than all of these converted hybrids they've been using at FB. 

I swear Baltimore has TEs and FBs out the ying yang and bring in a couple new ones each year, every year.

Let's just start with one, eh? 

Yeah I think there is a chance you'll see one this year.

Gruden's offense doesn't really use one, but with Niles likely gone you'd think we'd get a proper FB in here since we'll have 3TEs on the roster already if we keep Reed, VD, and Sprinkle.  The FB will have to play teams, obviously.

Just now, DC9 said:

Gruden's offense doesn't really use one,

But, yet, in a way we do. At least often enough that when we have someone line at FB and they can't get the job done, I'm like, why did we even run that play? 

And I think it was a goalline play early part of the season where Paul lines up at FB and he goes in to lead block in a traditional FB way, but gets concussed and the play I think was rejected by the defense. And there I was asking my question.

Only guy that caught my eye from the spotrac list was Roosevelt Nix. RFA they say. 

2 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

But, yet, in a way we do. At least often enough that when we have someone line at FB and they can't get the job done, I'm like, why did we even run that play? 

And I think it was a goalline play early part of the season where Paul lines up at FB and he goes in to lead block in a traditional FB way, but gets concussed and the play I think was rejected by the defense. And there I was asking my question.

Only guy that caught my eye from the spotrac list was Roosevelt Nix. RFA they say. 

Ryan Anderson lined up at FB on 2 goal line runs as well.  I've also seen Davis lined up as a FB.... to support your point. 

Morris and Nate S. where pretty static college QB's. Stand in pocket and just fire the ball. Why do we keep picking up does guys? 

We run a of lot hell play action and Kirk is scoring a bunch of TDs on fakes.  Don't we want a more mobile guy...?

4 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Morris and Nate S. where pretty static college QB's. Stand in pocket and just fire the ball. Why do we keep picking up does guys? 

We run a of lot hell play action and Kirk is scoring a bunch of TDs on fakes.  Don't we want a more mobile guy...?

his combine report would contradict this...

STRENGTHS

Very good arm strength and athletic ability. Can move around the pocket and buy a second chance. Throws with velocity and can rifle the ball into tight spots. Can drill back-shoulder throws. Can adapt his arm and throwing platform and release it from a variety of angles under duress with ease. Has natural leadership traits.

He recorded a 4.63 in the 40 which screams athletic ability.  

WEAKNESSES

Average overall size with a relatively thin build. Sporadic accuracy. Sprays the ball and struggles to hit receivers in stride (best with stationary targets). Does not throw his receivers open. Marginal timing, anticipation and rhythm. Struggles to handle pressure and presses to create plays -- eyes drop to the rush very quickly and vacates the pocket prematurely. Makes too many head-scratching decisions. Birddogs his primary target and will force the ball. Career 57.7 completion percentage is indicative of accuracy at all layers even with a clean pocket. Makes his receivers consistently work for the ball.

I haven't followed him so I'm just going by some combine stats from almost 4 years ago.  Just poking around as well, some Indy fans were sad to see this guy go.  I highly doubt he's any more than just a depth guy anyway.  

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

IF we signed Kirk to a LTD, resigning the players we need to and then a few extras, such as Brown, Foster, Nsekhe, will leave us with about 17 million in cap space.  I think we likely target a RB in the draft, and probably DL and OL in the first 3 rounds(DT, and LG). That leaves us with 1 position that we actually need to spend money on in FA, and thats WR.  

I hope the Skins are able to re-sign Nsekhe - there appeared to be a significant drop off with the 3rd string tackles.  Did Scherff fill in at RT on a few plays in the Giants game?  I recall Cousins getting sacked off the edge and he was the one blocking.  I really want Brown to be signed to a long term deal but I'd like for the Skins to draft a high talent ILB to replace the so-so players paired with him.  I'm hoping DT, ILB, then LG in the draft and hoping for free agents WR and RB.      

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Ryan Anderson lined up at FB on 2 goal line runs as well.  I've also seen Davis lined up as a FB.... to support your point. 

Yeah, I remember that. Thanks.

I couldn't bring those names up, all I could remember was Paul. 

And I realize that just last night we all watched 300+ lbs DT - DaRon Payne line-up in the backfield as a FB and then go in motion only to catch a TD in a straight flats route and finished the play with an amusing toe-tap in the endzone.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

And of course Dontari Poe was used in a similar way in KC by Reid. But if I recall correctly he was given the ball on a fake Dive action and he executed a jump-pass for a TD. Of course I can trace all the way back to Fridge in '85. 

But usually those novelty plays are remembered when the teams are actually good and are winning football games. 

So I realize I could be talking out both sides of my mouth here. 

But, I remember watching a B-more game this year, and I can't remember what the player's name was, but he was their FB, as I was watching some random goalline play and marveling. And I looked at the dude and watched him get out of his stance and I said to myself, if that guy wasn't a FB in the NFL his only other job would be as Juggernaut for the X-Men. The guy was a walking trapezius.

And I simply thought, we should have at least one dude like this on our team. And that player or guys like him just seems like a staple of that B-more regime. 

Apparently Pierre Garcon is in recruit mode when it comes to Junior Galette.  Junior put up on his Instagram account how thankful he was for the Redskins to stick by his side for 2 seasons when he had his Achilles issues.  In a reply, Garcon said he should come to the Bay area - that he wouldn't have to worry about loyalty..

Junior says this:

• Very Thankful the @redskinsOrganization stayed by my side through 2 achilles Ruptures back to back! The yr didn’t go how I planned it but God Don’t make mistakes! Tough times don’t last tough people do! “He’s Back”

Pierre says this:

Come to The Bay 🇭🇹

You won’t have to worry about loyalty

Only winning games and playing hard

Click the following if you'd like to see the instagram post.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

his combine report would contradict this...

He recorded a 4.63 in the 40 which screams athletic ability.  

I haven't followed him so I'm just going by some combine stats from almost 4 years ago.  Just poking around as well, some Indy fans were sad to see this guy go.  I highly doubt he's any more than just a depth guy anyway.  

Good work. I remember him as a pocket passer when entering the draft. But man 2014. I had no idea it was that long ago...so I don't remember the part that he had athletic abilitie.

Ah I see where it went wrong. Messed him up with Brad Kaaya from last year. He was the Miami QB with the lack of mobility. 

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Remember Darrel Young came to us as a LB.  We made him a FB.

What if we try to make Perine a LB?

He excels at running square into people... im all for it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, zoony said:

He excels at running square into people... im all for it!

Funny Zoony is one of my favorite mods..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Cumberland said:

Apparently Pierre Garcon is in recruit mode when it comes to Junior Galette.  Junior put up on his Instagram account how thankful he was for the Redskins to stick by his side for 2 seasons when he had his Achilles issues.  In a reply, Garcon said he should come to the Bay area - that he wouldn't have to worry about loyalty..

Junior says this:

Pierre says this:

Click the following if you'd like to see the instagram post.

JG:I'm real glad I came to a place that took care of me when I was hurt

PG: That's great.  Come out west where we don't do that kind of crap.

Seriously that's a recruiting pitch that completely misses the point they guy he was talking to made

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like to see JG back next season, he started to show his old speed in the last month of the season.  The issue is he will probably want too much money and is honestly just still too big of a risk to invest a ton of money into.  

All things considered, this FO is probably going to just bring in Xavier Sua Filo for LG and that's it. 

Dust off its hands and call it a day. 

Just more of the same. 

The issues lie with Callahan and the scheme, first and foremost. We're never going to control the LOS because the underlying scheme and thus the filter for player acquisition, by way of their attributes in order to match the scheme, will forever have us picking mobility above things like physicality. 

We're a zone based offensive line, but the issue is Callahan's filter. It's why we get guys like Long in the first place who get driven back on roller skates by giys like Cox. Just ragdolled. We're going to continue with zone schemes and end up choosing guys with movement skills but who lack punch and drive. We're going to continue to get out physical'ed by the Eagles. Cox is still going to wreck our interior. 

We'll still have issues with LG because while Sua Filo is different from Luavaoaoa in build, he's still completely average overall in skill. One of the first things I noticed is how often his hand shiver misses. He gets glancing blows and scatter shot hits enough times to be noticeable. Defensive linemen with longer reaches just own him. Watched Deatrich Wise use one arm extended, up near the chin, to walk Filo back with ease. Trey Flowers lined up interior one time and simply used a hand-slap on Filo who was just left flat footed and watched Flowers go bye with a free run at the QB. 

Movement skill wise, Loaavoaa is actually smoother and probably quicker. Filo is alright per the general zbs lineman goes. Filo can look a little cluncky at times to be honest. But he's likely going to be sold to the fanbase as some kind-of size and bulk upgrade. One look at Filo ass and hips shows this bulbous backend and I'm sure people will assume he's stout and has an anchor. But in reality he can be beat by anyone.

And it doesn't take that many google searches to find out what the Texan faithful think of Filo either. 

Welcome to Bruce Allen's dollar tree shopping spree for o-line and Callahan's ZBS. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

All things considered, this FO is probably going to just bring in Xavier Sua Filo for LG and that's it. 

Dust off its hands and call it a day. 

Ahhhh Sua Filo ... one of my draft crushes from 4 years ago. So I'm guessing by your comment that he hasn't lived up to his 2nd round draft pick status? Bummer. But hey, I'd be okay kicking the tires on a 24-25 year old OG who hasn't lived up to his draft status and might come cheap on a 2nd deal.

Put me down for someone that is all over Robinson if he escapes Jacksonville. Also saw that Marqise Lee is a free agent as well. I like both guys, but I'd be more apt to pay-up for 24 year old Robinson. Dude was a Top 5-10 WR with Bortles 2 years ago.

Defense aside, if we could re-sign Kirk, sign Allen Robinson at WR, and draft Chubb/Michel/Guice in the 2nd round ... I'd be beyond happy going into 2018.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Posted (edited)

Well that’s deppressing @Monk4thaHALL:(

That’s also my concern with the idea of returning Long, he’s ok in a zone scheme, but I just don’t trust him to get straight ahead drive or to excel in pass pro).  We seem to run a hybrid blocking scheme (as far as I can tell), though I think we lean heavily toward zone, no?  I have a hunch that Roullier will be better suited to this, and Trent/Scherff can do whatever, but I’m not sure I like Moses to be able to play both styles/schemes either.  Still hopeful we can add a plus blocker of a TE to mitigate these problems.  Sprinkle may fit this role, but I’d prefer to add a guy that is a threat in the pass game as well.  I think playing the hybrid scheme also puts more pressure on our backs - they have to be able to make the one cut and show patience, and then switch to straight ahead burst.  Perine can handle the former I believe, but has a ways to go to fit the power running.  

I seem to recall some issues with matching Gruden’s passing game to the run game.  Given the criticisms of our TEs being asked to reach block and such, I have to wonder if that (issue with) meshing is the root of it.  Ugh.  

@JamesMadisonSkinsI agree with that.  Think we can land a very solid TE too in the 3rd-4th.  Goedert, Schultz, Gesicki and Breneman are all guys I like.  Izzy looks like a heck of a blocker too, but I haven’t seen him much in the pass game.  Thomas (UofF?) is ranked highly as well, but haven’t seen any tape on him.  

Having trouble finding positional rankings that are current (they all seem to be from the summer or early in the CF season.   Would appreciate a link if anyone has one.  Also, is discussion on here depressed because of the ES Mock draft?  

Edited by skinny21

Posted (edited)

If we believe the Redskins, returning Cousins, and with an average-health team, can be 9-7 to 10-6 next year ... then what are the things that can either "secure" that status or take them to the next level? Next level being 11-5 to 12-4? Ranked in order, I'd say:

1. Elite RB

2. Elite WR

3. 1 more good DL-men

4. Ball-hawking safety

5. #2 TE that can block & catch

6. Stud ILB to pair with Brown

Bringing back Cousins, Long and Brown ... I think you have the ability to 3-4 of the above through a combination of draft and FA this year.

FA: Allen Robinson + Re-sign your own guys

Draft: DT D'Ron Payne or ILB Roqon Smith or FS Derwin James n R1 + Nick Chubb or Sony Michel or Derrius Guice or Kerryonn Johnson in R2

That scenario would give you 1 stud on defense at one of the listed positions and potentially your elite RB and Robinson your elite WR. #5, the versatile TE, is someone you could even get cheap-ish in FA or through the grooming of Jeremy Sprinkle, or another mid-round draft pick.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Whats interesting is that we have not had a 1000 yard back since Callahan took over OL duties. Before that we had Morris in 2014, 2013, 2012 getting 1000+ yards. While 2014 under Gruden was Morris's worse as a Redskin its the best we've had recently. I really wonder about the question for Callahan going back to Oakland if there's more to it, especially after the coaches look at the tape and evaluate coaches. Maybe they come to a conclusion that he's not the best guy.

I wonder if the coaches (from other teams) who were fired and those staffs have any assistants who we would consider bringing in. I think (similar to our defense) we need to define what we're going to do. Is this a square peg round hole argument where we are taking RBs who are better at power schemes and putting them into a zone scheme? or have too much of a mix of power & zone linemen and so we don't excel at either?

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@JamesMadisonSkinsI agree with that.  Think we can land a very solid TE too in the 3rd-4th.  Goedert, Schultz, Gesicki and Breneman are all guys I like.  Izzy looks like a heck of a blocker too, but I haven’t seen him much in the pass game.  Thomas (UofF?) is ranked highly as well, but haven’t seen any tape on him.  

Let's not forget about Sprinkle though. Here's a snippet on his draft profile, we might have that #2 blocking TE in-house. Sounds like he just need/ed time to bulk up and fix some mechanical issues.

NFL Comparison

Larry Donnell

Bottom Line

True "Y" tight end with outstanding length and a frame that can handle more weight. Has the toughness to be an NFL blocker, but might need to add more upper- and lower-body strength before he's ready. He's a big, reliable target in the red zone and underneath against zone, but needs a longer runway to create separation in his routes. Sprinkle isn't great in any one area, but he's good in most and should be a safe pick and quality starter in the league.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Whats interesting is that we have not had a 1000 yard back since Callahan took over OL duties. Before that we had Morris in 2014, 2013, 2012 getting 1000+ yards. While 2014 under Gruden was Morris's worse as a Redskin its the best we've had recently. I really wonder about the question for Callahan going back to Oakland if there's more to it, especially after the coaches look at the tape and evaluate coaches. Maybe they come to a conclusion that he's not the best guy.

I wonder if the coaches (from other teams) who were fired and those staffs have any assistants who we would consider bringing in. I think (similar to our defense) we need to define what we're going to do. Is this a square peg round hole argument where we are taking RBs who are better at power schemes and putting them into a zone scheme? or have too much of a mix of power & zone linemen and so we don't excel at either?

Callahan has been viewed as elite in his role but a lot of that recent success was with a Dallas line that featured a host of top draft selections and so does beg the question was it coaching or did he just have superior players at his disposal?  To add to that question is the fact that Dallas did not seem to make a particularly strong play to keep him when he joined us.

I am not saying he is bad or that a change is needed but certainly it is something that Jay has to consider in his evaluation of this season.  I know a lot of people read Jay's comments from the end of season presser as more of the same but he did seem aware of some problems but was understandably tight lipped on any changes until he has had a couple of weeks to go through film and the assessment process. 

Edited by WelshSkinsFan
Fix spellin'

20 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Whats interesting is that we have not had a 1000 yard back since Callahan took over OL duties. Is this a square peg round hole argument where we are taking RBs who are better at power schemes and putting them into a zone scheme? or have too much of a mix of power & zone linemen and so we don't excel at either?

I don't think Callahan is a problem.  By all accounts he's a great coach.  If I recall correctly, Long was drafted to be a RG in Shanahan's stretch zone blocking scheme.  He was never supposed to be a power blocker.  The OL does seem like a jack of all trades group that does everything but doesn't excel at anything.  Skins have the opportunity to remake the interior of the line with a new LG and Roullier.  Given how well the Skins have been in the screen game I would  like to keep an athletic OL.  

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Let's not forget about Sprinkle though. Here's a snippet on his draft profile, we might have that #2 blocking TE in-house. Sounds like he just need/ed time to bulk up and fix some mechanical issues.

NFL Comparison

Larry Donnell

Bottom Line

True "Y" tight end with outstanding length and a frame that can handle more weight. Has the toughness to be an NFL blocker, but might need to add more upper- and lower-body strength before he's ready. He's a big, reliable target in the red zone and underneath against zone, but needs a longer runway to create separation in his routes. Sprinkle isn't great in any one area, but he's good in most and should be a safe pick and quality starter in the league.

To me, Sprinkle seems like he could become, and is on track to becoming, a solid #2 TE.  A guy that mostly plays inline, but can give you the occasional play off PA.  I don’t see him as any kind of mismatch or threat in the pass game though.  That’s why I like the idea of drafting one of the better, well rounded TEs and keeping Reed (assuming we can’t trade him for more than just peanuts) and Davis.  The rook competes with Davis, Reed is mostly used as a receiver, and Sprinkle serves as the #2.  If the rook shows well, maybe you ditch Reed and Davis next year and try to find a potential backup in the draft again (or a cheaper FA).  

Our top 2 TEs have done very well for Gruden in the pass game, but I don’t trust them otherwise.  I hoped for more from Paul, but he’s just a guy that offers some versatility, leadership and ST play.  Those are valuable, but it’s not enough and whatever potential he had has not shown out (as a TE).