Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

FL Gov Rick Scott has supposedly announced that he is extending the deadline to register to vote (which was yesterday) in the counties affected by Hurricane Michael.  

(The fact that the hurricane is hitting the panhandle, which votes Republican, I'm sure was not a factor.)  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

FL Gov Rick Scott has supposedly announced that the deadline to register to vote (which was yesterday) in the counties affected by Hurricane Michael.  

(The fact that the hurricane is hitting the panhandle, which votes Republican, I'm sure was not a factor.)  

I feel like something is missing here.

Voter role purging that just looks for generic matches opposed to narrowing down the exact person/reason it is purging said individual, should be illegal.  The risk of someone showing up to vote in place of a non-valid person on the voter role is dwarfed by the amount of valid voters are thrown off the roles by this kind of software.

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Voter role purging that just looks for generic matches opposed to narrowing down the exact person/reason it is purging said individual, should be illegal.  The risk of someone showing up to vote in place of a non-valid person on the voter role is dwarfed by the amount of valid voters are thrown off the roles by this kind of software.

Well, we saw the stats on fake rape claims vs. real ones vs unreported.

Why should this be any different?

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I want a constitutional amendment.  

1)  Voter roll purges must be done at least 90 days before an election.  

2)  The list of the people being purged, and the reason, is a public record.  So is the full and complete algorithm used to produce the list.  

3)  And the voter being purged must be notified.  (I might go with "at the expense of the person asking for the purge.")  

4)  I might also go with "And, if a system of purging can be shown to have a 'false positive' (purging a registration which is actually legitimate) of more than 5%, then all proposed purges produced using that method are thrown out."

2 hours ago, Larry said:

FL Gov Rick Scott has supposedly announced that he is extending the deadline to register to vote (which was yesterday) in the counties affected by Hurricane Michael.  

TBF, he was sued by Florida Democrats.

(in 2016, he had to be sued to extend it back then as well)

31 minutes ago, Larry said:

3)  And the voter being purged must be notified.  (I might go with "at the expense of the person asking for the purge.")  

4)  I might also go with "And, if a system of purging can be shown to have a 'false positive' (purging a registration which is actually legitimate) of more than 5%, then all proposed purges produced using that method are thrown out."

Those 2 should be mandatory.  

3 hours ago, Larry said:

I want a constitutional amendment.  

1)  Voter roll purges must be done at least 90 days before an election.  

2)  The list of the people being purged, and the reason, is a public record.  So is the full and complete algorithm used to produce the list.  

Got a better idea, everyone is automatically registered at age 18 and the right can't be taken.  Purging voter rolls is about as undemocratic as you can get, theres no right way to do something that is wrong in the first place.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Got a better idea, everyone is automatically registered at age 18 and the right can't be taken.

Oh, there has to be a registration.  

In order to vote, they have to know your address.  To decide which elections you're allowed to vote in.  

48 minutes ago, Larry said:

Oh, there has to be a registration.  

In order to vote, they have to know your address.  To decide which elections you're allowed to vote in.  

Most of that can be figure out without asking them, at that age, were talking school records or matching legal guardian. If you insist, link it to selective service, which is also required at 18.  And yeah, I believe women should be registered for draft (can't vote unless registered for draft). 

In some countries the government files your taxes for you because they already have enough info, and not everyone immediately updates their address in regards to voting and votes in older district until they do, I used to do that with Norfolk until I wanted to vote the Portsmouth mayor out. When you do update your address with dmv you have option to update voter registration, shouldn't be option, just done automatically.

Point is, we should be trying to figure how to get 100% participation, too much effort and options are in place to undermine this, we should NOT be making that easier.

Edit: dmv is already kinda linked to voter registration.  You move to a new state and apply for license in that state, you should be automatically registered to vote in that state with the new address.

Archived